ADVERTISEMENT

Lawrance Toafili was FSU's Winning Quarterback

I could not believe how inept Brock Glenn was. He did almost everything wrong. It is astonishing we beat a great offensive team like Louisville when we didn't even have a QB. Brock was 8/21 for 55 yards. 55 yards! And he kept getting sacked! THROW THE BALL!!! He miraculously avoided any turnovers.

Our winning quarterback was Lawrance Toafili! He was 10 carries for 118 yards, scored our only TD. And LT's biggest plays were when he was the Wildcat QB.

Defense + Fitz won this game. And an amazing coaching staff. Props the Norvell and the much-maligned Adam Fuller.
Reactions: P.Swayze

Football Updates: FSU takes on Louisville in the ACC Championship Game

For the first time since 2014, the Florida State football team is competing in the ACC Championship Game this evening.

The fourth-ranked Seminoles (12-0, 8-0 in ACC) take on No. 14 Louisville (10-2, 7-1) tonight at 8 p.m. (ABC) at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte. It's FSU's sixth appearance in the ACCCG and the Seminoles have a 4-1 record in ACC Championship Games, winning their last three. For Louisville, it's the program's first ACCCG appearance in its 10 season as an ACC member. FSU leads the all-time series against Louisvilel 17-6 and won the last times these teams faced off 35-31 last September.

With FSU at 12-0, it's widely believed the Seminoles will clinch their first College Football Playoff appearance since 2014 with a win vs. Louisville Saturday night, no matter what a few national analysts have said.

Backup quarterback Tate Rodemaker came off the bench to lead the Seminoles to a comeback win in that 2022 game at Louisville. While Rodemaker was again expected to be the quarterback in this Louisville game, his status remains up in the air after some concussion symptons showed up on Sunday after he took a hit to the head late in last week's win at Florida.

"Some of the things they were concerned about on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday is that he did go through a concussion there last week. Throughout the week he practiced every day and progressively got better and better," Alan Rodemaker, Tate's father, said in a radio interview Saturday morning. “It’s just a time-frame issue, now. They’re going to make a call today. We’ll know something more about that today. I can’t give you a final on that until, it won’t be until after lunch today. It’ll be after walk-through, the head doctor is going to give me a call.”

Alan Rodemaker also estimated that it's a 50/50 deal as of Saturday morning whether Rodemaker would be cleared to play or not. If he is held out, FSU will turn to true freshman Brock Glenn for his first career start in a remarkably big spot. A three-star recruit out of Memphis and the No. 18 pro-style quarterback in the 2023 class according to Rivals, Glenn has appeared in three games this season, completing two of four passes for 35 yards and rushing for 37 yards as well.

FSU opened as a 6.5-point favorite over Louisville last Sunday, but that line has plummetted throughout the week and the Seminoles are now favored by a single point over the Cardinals.

It's not expected to be an overly cold night in Charlotte around game time, with temperatures sitting in the mid-60s. However, there's a decent chance that it could be raining during the game, with the chance of precipitation sitting around 40 to 50% throughout Saturday evening in Charlotte. Obviously, that could have an effect on both teams' offensive gameplans if it comes to pass.

The Osceola will be in attendance at BOA Stadium three hours before kickoff, watching closely as the Seminoles warm up to see which quarterback appears poised to start and if anyone else is missing in action for the Seminoles. I'll be sharing updates here and this will then function as the live game updates thread as well once things get underway from Charlotte.

Could this be the best DB class FSU has ever signed?

2024 Class

KJ Bolden - (5) Buford HS-6'1-210
Charles Lester (5) Venice HS-6'1-170
Cai Bates (4) Orlando Edgewater-6'1-190
Jamari Howard (4) Norland-6'1-185
Ricky Knight (4) Cardinal Newman-6'0-170
Lawayne McCoy (4) Miami Central-6'0-170

Comments: On paper this is the best class of defensive backs FSU would sign. Bolden is the number 1 safety in the country. Bates, Lester and Howard are all considered elite or at least very good prospects. Bates is a dual sport star who also has played on both sides of the football. He is a very good athlete. McCoy plays receiver but also plays corner. His best position in our opinion is corner. Knight will end up a slot corner. They are in on a couple of other defensive backs but his is how you fix your defensive back room. FSU on paper looks to have the best defensive back class in the nation.

FSU has signed some great defensive backs like Deion Sanders (North Fort Myers). He came to FSU is 1985 and Leroy Butler came in 1986 (Robert E Lee) now known as Riverside HS. They were not in the same classes. You had guys like Martin Meyhew who signed with FSU and had a great career. Went all the way back to 2004 to look at prior classes.

JR Bryant (Killian)
Tony Carter (Mandarin)
Trevor Ford (Miami Northwestern)
Kenny Ingram (Orlando Edgewater)
Joe Manning (Tallahassee Lincoln)
Darius McClure (Came from Alabama)

Comments: On paper this class was supposed to be elite. FSU beat Miami out for Jr Bryant and Trevor Ford. Both players never reached their potential at FSU. JR Bryant is now an agent. Tony Carter ended up the best player in this group. He also had a nice career in the NFL. Ingram never found a position.

Mister Alexander (Texas)
Myron Rolle (The Hun School)
Anthony Leon (Gulliver Prep)
Patrick Robinson (Gulliver Prep)

Comments: Rolle deserves two scholarships. He was an ambassador off the field and still FSU gets a ton of spotlight for him attending FSU. He had a nice career at FSU. Patrick Robinson was a highly rated Corner out of South Florida. The Noles beat UF out for him. I believe Robinson went in the first round of the draft.

Greg Reid (Lowndes)
Justin Bright
Jajuan Harley
Xavier Rhodes

Comments: Rhodes played receiver in high school but Jimbo felt he was a corner...which he was. FSU landed a first round pick in Rhodes. Reid change the recruiting momentum at FSU. He was a five star player who was committed to Urban Meyer and at the time UF was the IN SCHOOL. He was FSU first big recruiting win over Meyer and tide began to turn. Harley is a kid I missed on as did FSU. I thought he had the tools to be an elite prospect for FSU.

Terrance Brooks (Dunnellon)
Mike Harris (Juco)
Lamarcus Joyner

Comments: Was not a big class but you can argue it was one of the best. This group delivered big time. Brooks was a kid I first saw at UCF camp and was very impressed. He was a 3* DB. Harris changed the attitude of the secondary. Joyner was a leader on and off the field. He is one of the best players to ever play at FSU.

Karlos Williams (Ridge HS)
Nick Waisome (Groveland)
Keelen Smith (Treasure Coast)
Tyler Hunter (Valdosta)
Lamarcus Brutus (Treasure Coast)

Comments: This class was a major disappointment. Karlos looked like a future star at safety until he moved to RB. Waisome was someone FSU beat UF out for. He never panned out. The rest of the group was not very good.

PJ Williams (Vanguard)
Ronald Darby (DC)
Colin Blake

Comments: PJ Williams was an unknown till he blew up at FSU summer camp. Darby was a late signee. I am not even sure if he visited. Williams and Darby ended up very good.

Jalen Ramsey (Tennessee)
Marquez White (Alabama)
Nate Andrews (Alabama)

Comments: Ramsey will end up in the Pro football hall of fame. He was a star at FSU. White was a contributor and Andrews was much underrated.

Derwin James (Haines City)
Marcus Lewis (DC)
AJ Westbrook (Mainland)
Calvin Brewton

Comments: This class was highly regarded on paper. It did not pan out when all is said and done. Lewis ended up leaving as did Westbrook and Brewton.

Jaiden Woodbey
AJ Lytton
Asante Samuel
Isaiah Bolden

Comments: This was another class on paper which was very good. Woodbey was considered a great get, Lytton may have been a five star. Samuel was very good at FSU.

Basketball Live updates: FSU at UNC

FSU plays its ACC opener at North Carolina on Saturday at 2 p.m. on the ACC Network. If you can believe this, the broadcast crew will be Wes Durham, Cory Alexander and, yes, Jim Boeheim.

North Carolina (6-1) is ranked No. 10 by KenPom. The Tar Heels defeated Tennessee 100-92 in an ACC-SEC Challenge game on Wednesday.

The Seminoles (4-2) are 74th in KenPom.

Jaylan Gainey made his FSU debut on Wednesday. The power forward missed all of 2022-23 due to injury and hadn't played in a college game since a March 2022 game for Brown.

“It felt great to be back on the court,” Gainey told Seminoles.com. “I hadn’t been out there in a long time. It felt good because it was my first game as a Seminole. Being out there after a long, hard year of work felt really great.”

Gainey said he was nervous but happy to be back on the court.

“It was gratifying when I walked onto the court in a game for the first time,” said Gainey. “It was great because the fans gave me an ovation and the bench was really loud. It felt like I hoped it would feel. It was a great feeling.”

Including its 77-71 win over No. 18/21 Colorado in the championship game of the 2023 Sunshine Slam, Florida State enters Saturday’s game against No. 16/17 North Carolina with 17 victories over nationally ranked opponents since the start of the 2018-19 season. The Seminoles won a school-record seven games against nationally ranked opponents during the 2016-17 season.

Soccer List of national champions dominated by ACC

FSU and Stanford have each won the National Championship three times since 2011. One will win their fourth. The addition of Stanford -- who will be an official ACC member next season -- furter solidifies the ACC's strangelhold on the sport.

Here's a breakdown on who has won championships:
North Carolina 22 (14 of first 16, not since 2012)
Florida State 3 - (2014, 2018, 2021)
Notre Dame 3 - (1995, 2004,2010)
Stanford 3 - (2011, 2017, 2019)
Total 31

Other Schools/Conferences to have won one or more:

The Big10 will have the next highest win total (4) among conferences with addition of USC and UCLA, while the SEC has one.
Southern Cal 2 - (2007, 2016)
UCLA 1 - (2013, 2022)
Penn State 1 - (2015)
George Mason 1 - (1985)
Florida 1 - (1998)
Santa Clara 2 - (2001, 2020)
Portland 2 - (2002, 2005)
Total 10
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT