ADVERTISEMENT

Football Trey Benson, Jared Verse earn ACC Player of the Week honors in FSU's win at Florida

FSU closed out the regular season with a pair of ACC Player of the Week honors Monday. Trey Benson was named ACC RB of the week while Jared Verse earned the ACC DL of the Week honor for their roles in the Seminoles' 24-15 win at Florida.

Ranking the Cinematic Recaps

In waiting for the cinematic recap for the Florida game earlier today, I thought it would be fun to go back and rank all of the cinematic recaps from this season. I'm a really big nerd when it comes to video editing and production so I really enjoy these and watch them multiple times to take everything in. I know you all enjoy them as well so I'm interested to see if any of you have any particular feelings.

#12 Virginia Tech - It just didn't move me. I think that it was just the overall composition of the shots. There were some really cool one shot tracks of players but overall, it felt thrown together and the music felt very standard.
Login to view embedded media
#11 Wake Forest - This recap was just all over the place. Tone and pacing, everything felt so stop and go. Probably didn't need to be 8 minutes long. Some cool tidbits with Norvell and Dave Clausen, Keon and Benson. Other than that, it felt like it just didn't have a direction.
#10 Boston College - Really short. Really meh. I felt like a lot of the recap was detoured to the postgame locker room speech by Norvell to let fans hear what he told the team after a close call. It's a choice I completely understand but it's also something that objectively just makes the recap not very enjoyable or memorable on subsequent viewings.
#9 Syracuse - At first glance, I thought I was going to really like this recap. The vibe was different and I enjoyed the more bragadocious music selection but then the recap didn't really feel like it started until the Keon Coleman one handed catch. I know it's difficult when the game you are recapping was a blow out but I felt like choosing to have no music and just the warchant for a solid minute just made me lose interest. Another recap that could have been 5 minutes instead of 8.
#8 Southern Mississippi - Similar criticism of the Syracuse recap in terms of how it started but I felt like the overall composition of the footage in the recap was much better - much more consistent. I felt like this recap did a better job of keeping your attention, which upon multiple viewings is important. I would watch this again, some others not so much.
#7 North Alabama - The way it handled recapping Jordan's injury was perfect. The way that it handled Jameis and senior day was great as well. The juxaposition between senior day, the ceremony and then the injury. The audio cuts to white noise. The speeches by Odell and YAC were wonderfully implemented and the somberness of the soundtrack for the rest of the recap felt well-placed. The Norvell speech over the 2013 ceremony was cool as well. It treated a very delicate matter very well.
#6 Miami - I had to watch this one a couple of times because I couldnt decided how I wanted to rank it. I think what I like the most about it was its simplicity. It sets the stage and intensity so well with the intro by Jermaine Johnson and the soundtrack early on. But then, most of the recap is game volume, announcing and stadium sound which I felt was really appropriate for this game in particular. I don't think it would have worked for other games. When there was music, it was mostly drums and strings... no loud horns. It really told you the story of the game without the theatrics and it felt more grounded. The one thing that kept it from being higher was that I felt the recap was too long - even for a rivalry recap.
#5 Clemson - I'm going to be honest. This one is probably going to be a lot of people's favorite. It has a lot of great moments. The slow-motion, silent audio shots of both the Coleman touchdown and the DeLoach strip-six. But other than that, the thing that drags the recap to me is the main musical theme. I was not a fan of it. It comes down to personal preference here. There was another interluding track in this recap with a nice piano theme that I think I would have preferred but it doesn't bring the intensity that the other track does.
#4 Florida - Oh my goodness the cinematography in this recap was spectacular. So many shots that made my jaw drop and I went back to watch again. And so many small moments that you really appreciate. The moments shared between Jordan and Tate / Jared that you would imagine happened but couldn't visualize are there. Norvell's speech heading into the locker room at halftime. "I know you've got it!". The soundtrack is a nice middle ground - not too overbearing but not unnoticeable. Similar to Miami, I think it was too long but this recap does a much better job at telling the story of the game - and there was definitely more to tell.
#3 Pitt - I was surprised how much I loved this recap. It was shorter, it was sweet - but it was so effective. The consistency of the audio was key here. The strings of the soundtrack, the use of audio-visual sound on the down beats in the early portions of the recap, and the continuation of that throughout the video. And it's the small things, the interactions between players and coaches. Ja'Khi Douglas screaming he loves Norvell as they embrace on the sideline, the interaction between Douglas and Benson... and yes... Garnet the Goldfish. Great recap.
#2 LSU - The storytelling here was some of the best of the season. It helps that SemPro had a little bit more time to plan for this recap but I love pratically everything about the presentation. The contextual setup. The choice of music in the beginning that sounds like a clock ticking down to what would be a special season. The long shot of Norvell leaving the tunnel and taking a deep breath - showing some anxiety in the moment as he prepares himself for a big game. The showing that even though Norvell is the head of the program, even he needs to take a moment to collect himself. The audio bite of Odell at halftime. The pacing of the footage, the music selection and the pure joy on Keon's face as he breaks the rock. Priceless. This is one I will keep coming back to. It so perfectly captured the emotion of the game and the how much it weighed / meant to the players.
#1 Duke - I felt like this recap was perfect. It captured the emotion of the game perfectly with the shot composition, the pacing and the music choice. The shot of the helicopters flying over, the Seminole Heritage night activities... really cool stuff. I'm partial to more orchestral music in these recaps rather than something that is very in your face and this recap really tugged at the emotion of the game. The alternating between the interstellar-esque string piece and the more triumphant full orchestra piece was perfect. The kick-return by Deuce Spann with that music makes the hair on your arms stand up. This recap really embodied and embraced the resilient attitude of the team and this is one that is fantastic on subsequent viewings.

Interested to read your thoughts if you have any. These recaps have been something to look forward to every Monday and as someone who really enjoys the creative production side of things, they always were interesting to see.
Reactions: Bob Ferrante

Football After remarkably linear climb, FSU looking to return to ACC apex this week

Florida State's "Climb" back to relevance has been remarkably consistent in Mike Norvell's first four seasons. But as the Seminoles enter their first ACC Championship Game in nine years, FSU has its eyes set on more than just an undefeated regular season.

"There's nothing to be satisfied with. You're appreciative of the work you put in. But I want better. And these players want better. We want to see that next step to be taken."

Football Where is FSU projected to go in the CFP or NY6 bowls?

A quick look at what five national media outlets have projected for the four-team CFP:

Duke's DeWayne Carter wins ACC's Jim Tatum Award

From the ACC:

Duke redshirt senior defensive tackle DeWayne Carter has been named the recipient of the 2023 Jim Tatum Award, the Atlantic Coast Conference announced Monday.

The award is given annually in memory of the late Jim Tatum to the top senior student-athlete among the league's football players. Tatum, a two-time ACC Coach of the Year, coached in the 1950s at both Maryland and North Carolina and believed strongly in the concept of the student-athlete.

A finalist for the 2023 William V. Campbell Trophy, which is presented annually by the National Football Foundation (NFF) and the College Football Hall of Fame to the best football scholar-athlete in the nation for their combined academic success, football performance and exemplary leadership, Carter has a 3.47 cumulative grade point average while working toward a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a minor in education and theater studies.

The only three-year team captain in Duke history, Carter has played a key role in Duke's transformation from a 3-9 record in 2021 to a 9-4 finish last season in 2022, including a victory in the Military Bowl. The success has carried over into 2023, as the Blue Devils started the season at 4-0 for the first time since 1994, were ranked in the top 25 eight weeks of the season, set a record with six wins at home on the season, and will be bowl eligible for the second consecutive year.

Carter is a significant reason why Duke ranks 14th nationally in red zone defense (.756), 21st in scoring defense (19.8 ppg), 28th in team tackles-for-loss (6.3 per game), 30th in fourth-down conversion percentage defense (.440), 33rd in team passing efficiency defense (123.01), 38th in passing defense (208.2 ypg), and 45th in total defense (354.6 ypg).

He has compiled 39 tackles, 3.5 tackles-for-loss, 1.0 sacks, four quarterback pressures, three pass breakups, one fumble recovery and one blocked kick in 12 games. He is also a key component as to why the Blue Devils have relinquished just 237 points on the year and only 14 rushing scores.

A 2021 College Sports Communicators (CSC) Academic All-District Team selection and a two-time Academic All-ACC pick, Carter was named a 2021 Arthur Ashe Sports Scholar finalist. Last spring, he earned a spot on the 2023 NFF Hampshire Honor Society for his exceptional academic performance in college, while this year he was also named a 2023 Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year semifinalist.

A member of the 2022 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team and the 2020 recipient of the Ace Parker Award, which is presented annually to an individual who overcomes adversity to contribute to the team, Carter has done extensive outreach in the community. His volunteer work has included time with Habitat for Humanity, reading to elementary school students, coaching little league baseball, and tutoring in the KIPP Durham College Prep program. He is a board member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, the vice president of Duke's Omega Psi Phi fraternity, and the public relations chair of the United Black Athletes.

The two-time All-ACC selection has appeared in 51 career games, registering 124 tackles, 25.0 tackles-for-loss, 12.0 sacks, 10 pass breakups, seven forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries, 16 quarterback pressures, and one blocked kick. He returned two of his fumble recoveries for touchdowns, including one against UConn earlier this year.

Football 2nd Look Sunday: The Osceola staff's rewatch of FSU's 24-15 win over Florida

The Osceola staff including Pat Burnham, Curt Weiler and Mark Salva will offer their thoughts on FSU's 24-15 win over Florida in the Swamp as we rewatch the game this afternoon and into tomorrow. Please feel free to share your thoughts with us as you rewatch the Seminoles win over the Gators to finish the regular season 12-0.

Florida’s first drive of 1st half

1-10 UFL25-Farmer gets blocked back into the LBs, Brown comes up from safety to finish up play after four-yard gain.

2-6 UFL29 -QB draw, great discipline by Payton who ran a stunt right into the A gap to make the stop for no gain.

3-6 UFL29- Completion on boundary curl route. No pressure w/4 man rush. Jarrian Jones and Tatum Bethune both defend the boundary, someone should have dropped to curl/hook landmark.

1-10 UFL45- Ray gets washed down, Bethune gets out of position following motion from boundary on divide zone. Think Bethune was supposed to fill the field side A. Safeties were deep.

2-3 FSU48-Florida had a big hole to boundary on inside zone, Payton does a nice job of getting off block just quick enough to trip RB up. Could have gone for a bigger gain if not.

3-1 FSU46-Verse had the QB dead to rights on the Read Zone would have forced a 4 and 5 but he overruns the play and Brown picks up four.

1-10 FSU42-PA Pass stopped for sack or no gain. Nice job by FSU of getting up field and disrupting timing of this play. Deloach forces QB up in pocket. Bethune just misses him for sack, Farmer makes a nice tackle on the LOS

2-10 FSU42- Inside Zone, great job by Fiske of getting of block to hold to no gain, Deloach fold around into A gap to force OL to come off double team of Fiske.

3-10 FSU42- Fiske and Verse run stunt from field, Fiske has QB backing up but he just makes a good throw on bench route off back foot.

1-10 FSU27-Florida gives FSU unbalanced look to field, pressure coming from boundary safety. UF had five on four on zone divide zone to field.

2-5 FSU22- Great play by Dent to bring RB down as he tries to bounce outside, FSU had everything clogged up between the tackles.

3-4 FSU21-Florida shows bunch set to both sides, brings RB in motion for pop pass. Verse blows it up in backfield and a host of players help him for TFL. Great hustle by Verse to get up after missed tackle and finish play.

4-13 FSU30- Missed 48-yard. Nine-yard loss was critical in forcing a much longer attempt than it otherwise would have been.

FSU’s 1st drive of 1st half at 07:58 in 1st QTR

1-10-Pop pass to Bell for four yards. Nice call to try and get Tate and the offense going in hostile environment.

2-6 FSU34-Can’t tell whether this was supposed to inside or outside zone but really nowhere for Benson to go, Morlock and Byers both end up three and four yards in the backfield, overhang defender makes nice play for loss of 11.

3-17 FSU23-FSU tries to go with a delayed RB screen to the boundary. Really nice job by UF corner to stay at home, pressure disrupted timing, Jones couldn’t get to the CB quick enough to block him.

4-17 FSU23-Punt forces fair catch

Florida’s 2nd drive of 1st half at 06:35 in 1st QTR

1-10 UFL30- Read Zone, nice job by Edmond to force it back inside with Lundy working back outside after coming free through A gap to help him clean it up for no gain.

2-10 UFL30-QB draw, Edmond is running a stunt with tackle and he gets washed all the way back to the backside A gap looks like it was his play to stop, FSU had no LBs in the box and played two deep safeties.

3-1 UFL39-Divide Zone-Lyons gets penetration but RB gets away from him and safety got to hole just a little late.

R 1-10 UFL42- Read Zone-RB gets ball, nice job by Shyheim Brown coming up to make the play at the LOS with the FSU’s front occupying all his blockers.

2-6 UFL46-PA pass of divide read zone action, Deloach was late getting out into flat to cover WR, QB misses throw, could have been huge gain with accurate pass. CB ran deep with outside WR.

3-6 UFL46-FSU rolls boundary safety to middle of field at snap, nice read by QB to his quick slant for first down. WR gives Green a little move at the LOS of scrimmage that helps him when inside leverage with Green not having inside help.

1-10 FSU44-Inside Zone, looks like, no defender in B gap, not sure if Ray ran out of his gap or LB didn’t scrape over, safety comes up to make tackle, he could have been eraser to field too.

2-7 FSU41-PA pass of divide zone action and just a nice throw by the QB, Lundy had him in man but gets caught looking back to QB and WR coming into flat on divide motion, that slight hesitation by Lundy leads to big completion. Still a heck of a throw.

1-10 FSU17-Looks like blown coverage in the flat here. QB gives up pump fake which. Looks like Lundy or Cypress should have had back in flat, but Lundy runs vertical with #3 WR and Cypress drops back like he has deep responsibility.

1-4 FSU4-Great penetration by Verse who makes play but Lovett and Farmer were right there to clean it up if not but Farmer lined up offsides.

1-2 FSU2-PA pass but Fiske and Verse blow by their blockers from opposite end for sack. Florida had a drag route coming open deep in the end zone if not for pressure.

2-9 FSU9-Fabien swims pass guard to get into backfield for a TFL

Start of 2nd QTR

3-10 FSU10-FSU brings pressure through the B gap with Dent who sacks the QB. I am never one that says much about officiating, but this was a ridiculous call. This would hand the Gators at least four points. Assuming they would have made the FG.

1-5 FSU5-INC pass, show the same PA they have off divide zone look, nice coverage by the DBs on the WRs in the end zone, Shyheim Brown closes on QB to cause throw away.

2-5 FSU5-Divide zone and just a massive hole to the play side, Lundy scrapes away from play because of motion, Fiske gets washed down. The eye candy with motion pre-snap and divide action post-snap created the hole. FSU had defenders everywhere expect at the point of attack.

Florida 7 FSU 0
Reactions: dmitch32309

Football Osceola Video: FSU coordinators talk win at Florida, preview ACC Championship Game

Here are the videos from today's FSU coordinator press conferences looking back at Florida and ahead to Louisville this weekend. Transcripts will be added later today.

Another Memorable Seminole moment in Gainesville

I’ve been to Florida field for every game since 1977 and am happy to report this one was as emotion-packed as the best of them.
Here’ a personal journal.
Had a great time before, during and after the game.
Been parking in Bonnie’s front yard for past 10 or so years; her favorite Seminole (and only).
Yes, the gator fans were annoying heading into the game if you consider a coed hanging out a window of a passing car showing her IQ with her middle finger intimidating. Yes, the fraternity boyz showed their arsses by hanging Jordan Travis in effigy, head in noose, complete with cast on leg.
Classless yes, but would have brought a smile to Jordan’s face. Had several profanities slung at my wife and I in passing but not the block the sidewalk version of the 1970s to 1990s style, these were more of the harmless driveby.
Sammie Smith sat on one side of me with his daughter, an anesthesiologist nurse and husband and my wife on the other in the ro right behind the Marching Chiefs.
Like me, Sammie watches game with little dialogue, a few eye rolls and high fives, so we watched with only a little dialogue about his thoughts or mine as we dodged trombones.
When the chiefs took the field, they were roundly booed by the gator fans. What kinda person boos a band made up largely of young women?
But the “music nerds” would got revenge when they played the warchant all the way through the gators' 4th quarter anthem to Tom Petty’s “I won’t back down.”
Appropriate.
On every penalty the gator fans shout something like “that’s right. You suck.” Which is annoying.
In Doak our fans scream a version of that: “Bull shot. ACC refs suck.”

While Sammie, my wife, and I dodged trombones I noticed they had the number 1 on one puffy cheek and the number 3 on another puffy cheek in tribute to Jordan Travis.

As it became apparent UF was going to lose, the gates headed for the gates throwing their cups or bottles at the Chiefs, sprinkling us with bits of what felt like ice water. We can only hope.

I was nervous until Tate led the 90-yard scoring drive to go to half down just 12-7 and realized UF had only 140 yards of offense.

The gator friends with me were now worrying as long drives resulted in missed field goals.

I don’t know how much of the chippiness you saw on TV but there was a lot with two gators ejected, one for spitting on an FSU player, another for the hit on the sliding TateR. This year was at least as contentious as last year but FSU responded much better in 2023. They stayed composed and won.

After the game, Sammie and I recorded an impressions video I’ll post later today and enjoyed watching stadium empty of orange and blue until it was down just to just the Seminoles and the Marching Chiefs, who caught two footballs from Mike Norvell.

After watching jubilant Seminoles leave the locker room, my wife and I walked trough a quiet Bull Gator parking lot where we ran upon an airstream trailer customized to be a mobile bar. I stopped to buy a couple of victory drinks but my money was no good there. “Have anything you like,” the dude in the orange and blue coveralls said, “and one for your wife too. Congratulations!”
We enjoyed those victory cocktails, mine a ham-handed pour of crown with a ginger floater and hers a lime High Noon, while listening to the gators postgame “wine-in” show.
Caller after caller thought FSU got ALL the calls, which set the host off. Kudos to him for calling them out by noting Dent's hit was a simply awful call against FSU and the spitting and targeting were blatantly undisciplined violations and easy calls to make.
I love listening to that show because it reminds me there are people who know less about football than me.
Ran into so many old friends from all over the country, too many to name, and saw FSU deliver on the only goal I had for them three years ago and that is to “fight and not quit.”
That’s how I’ll remember this 2023 team, who won with half as many 4- and 5- star players as Billy Napier played on Saturday.

Ryan Day

Is 65-7 as a HC at Ohio State and their fans want to fire him. Usc fans want to fire Lincoln Riley after winning 11 last year. Do these idiots realize there are no coaches to replace these guys. I don’t get what these fans want. I get it…you want to win….but these things go in cycles. Michigan is on a run right now. JH could not beat Ohio state for like 5-6 years - May have been longer.

Notes From the Uninformed (lizards)

Last night, as I was sifting through the remains of the day, trying to figure out how that game could simultaneously be so revolting and so joyful, I watched Fiske's post game comments and my ears perked up. He said, "It is who we are. We are a second half team. We experience adversity and respond to it." As I thought more about what he said, it became clearer that I consistently placed expectations on this squad that were inconsistent with what or who they are. I realized that I, and I think many others here, fashioned a team in my mind that was one part the 2022 six game winning streak team because of all the returning players that could have gone to the NFL or pursued other opportunities; one part highly acclaimed additional portal players; and a final part consisting of improved and developing younger players. This attractive mixture would integrate and assimilate in a proven disciplined culture of work and continuous improvement overseen by Mike Norvell and his staff. After spring camp and as the year progressed, they would mold into a team that, in my mind, would have at least as good an OL as the '22 season; be superior at the skill positions with the arrival of Keon and the continued development of Benson, Holmes, Kentron and Wright; potential to be dominant on defense w/ the arrival of Jackson and Fiske plus the return of Verse, Payton, Bethune and Lovett; and solid ST with Alex and Fitz w/ the addition of Wright and perhaps Holmes. It was clear to me that we would have a run based, dynamic offense, very good defense and solid ST. Looking at the schedule, if we could get by LSU, there would be no reason we couldn't win at least 10, but likely 11. There it was, and after the LSU game, I was prepared for the scenario to play out. We would start games fast, establish the run, stop the run and demolish defenses with our chunk plays. You know like '22 only better. Did I mention we had a Heisman candidate at QB that was statistically the best QB returning for the '23 season? Yup, I had it all figured out.

Never mind that Jackson was ruled ineligible. Never mind that Lovett, Douglas, Knowles, Kentron, Scott, Smith and Williamson entered the season injured. Never mind that Wright hadn't returned to his previous form. Never mind that the new OL was not as athletic as advertised by internet pundits. The season would unfold as I envisioned; run first at will; stop the run; unleash the skill players at will, and name a number on offense while controlling the opposition's offense. When we stumbled at BC, I put it down to losing focus and thinking ahead to Clemson. But what emerged was a different team than was in my head. The one in my head was a virtual team. The one on the field was real, but because it wasn't what I created, it was not "playing to its potential".

That whole logic is obviously flawed and did a disservice to this team. The 2023 Seminoles is comprised mostly of 3* HS talent, with a sprinkling of 4* and the rare 5*. The elite teams that we would have to compete against to win championships typically had twice as many 5 and 4 star HS talented players. We do have some elite talent, but it has been developed through discipline, tenacity and maturity. It is the type of talent that always has a puncher's chance to win. It just has to hang around until the opponent takes a poor risk, loses focus or plays over aggressively. Then it could pounce. That isn't the essence of a fast starting, offensively dictating squad. The skeleton of that type of boxer is a large bone foundation that can absorb blows, while looking for the opponent to drop his guard. The flesh on that skeleton is thick muscle with quick hands and keen vision. It keeps everything in front of him; cuts the ring to control the match until the opportunity presents itself and avoids risk. Then he lets loose a string of punches that sends the opponent to the canvass in the late rounds. e.g Florida had more penalty yards (50) in the fourth quarter than they had yards (48) in the second half vs FSU. And we outscored them 24-3 in the final ~35 minutes of the game.

To me that describes the '23 team. It is a deliberate team that makes few mistakes and seizes the moment to attack. Consider FSU is the only top 25 team to win 4 games after trailing by double digits. We allowed no team to score more than 30 points (first time we've done that in 8 years). Our scoring defense has allowed an average of 16.75 pts/gm. that's the best in the ACC. FSU did not allow a passing TD in 6 of the 12 games this season. We've allowed, as a team, only 72 points after the first half (six/game). The defense itself has allowed only 4.8 points per game after the half. Offensively we have had at least one 17 point scoring run in every game this season. We had only 5 turnovers in the season. That's the best in the country. Offensively we scored 465 points, which ranks 8th in FSU history. Every objective look at this team shows a slow starting squad built on defense that can keep us in the game until the offense sees an opening and pummels the opposition into submission. It can't name its score, but it can stop the opponents from scoring. It sizes up the opposition in the moment and defeats what it is trying to do to defeat them. Then it unleashes a flurry of punches. A blue collar boxer with a puncher's chance to beat anybody. Can you say "Rocky?

When I think about these '23 Noles like that, I come to truly appreciate what they have accomplished and how they have accomplished it. It wasn't my vision, but it is who we are and that is the undefeated State of Florida Champions headed for an ACC championship and a bowl (or maybe 2 ;) ) These players and coaches deserve to be appreciated for the authentic team they are.

How 'bout them Noles?

Time to go bird scalping and go to hell florida.

FSU had the largest margin of victory in the top 4…

on the road with our second and THIRD string quarterback in the game.

Washington almost actually lost in the 4th quarter TO A 5-7 TEAM.

We are much better than people give us credit for but I guess this is actually a more ideal scenario than having everyone guaranteeing you are going to win every game.

It’s amazing that you can be undefeated yet underestimated.

Football Recruiting 5-star David Sanders goes in-depth on contenders, FSU

1:20- Tennessee
3:04- Florida State
4:30- South Carolina
7:30- North Carolina
9:25- Georgia, Alabama, Clemson
11:30- Michigan
12:20- Ohio State
13:10- Upcoming plans
13:35- Does Georgia lead?
Reactions: Mortain44