ADVERTISEMENT

FSU volleyball will face TCU on Friday in NCAA Tournament

FSU sports information:

The Florida State volleyball team (23-8) will face Texas Christian (16-14) in the first round of the NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Tournament. The match will take place on Friday at 5:30 p.m. in Fayetteville, Ark.

The winner will face Arkansas (25-5) or Steve F. Austin (29-4) in the second round on Dec. 2 at 8 p.m. The Seminoles are the No. 6 seed that will be hosted by No. 3 seed Arkansas.

Florida State finished the regular season as Co-Champions of the ACC. The Seminoles are one the hottest teams in the nation heading into the tournament.

It will be a home coming for freshman setter Kenna Phelan and Coach Chris Poole. Poole is a native of Arkansas and coached for Arkansas Tech, Arkansas St. and Arkansas. Phelan is from Fayetteville, Ark., and is the daughter of a former Arkansas Razorback who played under Head Coach Poole.

This will mark the Noles’ 24th appearance in the NCAA Tournament. In 2022, Florida State lost in the first round to Northern Iowa. They have not advanced past the second round since 2016 when they went to the Sweet 16. The Seminoles have high hopes for a deep run in the tournament this season.

The broadcast will be announced at a later date.

Football PFF grades, snap counts, statistical analysis from FSU's win at Florida

Here's this week's PFF story from FSU's win at Florida, which includes a look at Tate Rodemaker's performance, Akeem Dent's big day and much more.

Live Updates: FSU soccer hosts Pitt with spot in College Cup on the line

FSU sports information:

For the fifth time in the last 13 months, the Florida State women's soccer team (19-0-1) will face the Pitt Panthers (14-4-1) as the two teams will battle for a spot in the College Cup on Friday night at the Seminole Soccer Complex. Kickoff is set for 5:30 p.m. and can be seen live on ESPN+ with Shawn Davison (Play By Play) and Trevor DeGroot (Color) on the call.

NCAA Tournament History
  • Three National Championships
  • 22-0-1 in the first round
  • 21-2 in the second round
  • 17-3-1 in the third round
  • 11-4-2 in the quarterfinals
  • 5-7-1 in the semifinals
  • 3-3 in the finals
  • 79-19-5 in the NCAA Tournament
Last Time Out
The Seminoles played arguably their best game of the season on Sunday night as they dominated from start to finish in a 5-0 win over fifth-seeded Texas at the Seminole Soccer Complex. FSU scored two goals in the first 10 minutes and scored three goals in the first 20 minutes to run away with the victory. Sunday was FSU's largest margin of victory ever in the third round of the NCAA Tournament and was also the most goals FSU has scored in the third round.

A Familiar Place
The Seminoles have made quite the home in the NCAA Quarterfinals. FSU has made the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals in six consecutive seasons and 17 out of the last 19 seasons. FSU has won their last three NCAA Tournament Quarterfinal matches.

A Familiar Foe
FSU and Pitt know each other very well as Friday will mark the fifth time in the last 13 months that the two teams have met. FSU defeated Pitt 1-0 last season in the regular season and defeated them 3-0 in the third round of the NCAA Tournament last year. FSU defeated Pitt 3-2 on Oct. 19 before taking down the Panthers 2-0 in the ACC Semifinals. FSU is a perfect 13-0-0 against Pitt.

Scoring Explosion
FSU has put together one of the best offensive seasons in school history this season. FSU has already scored 65 games this season which is tied for the fifth-most in school history and is just six goals from the second-most in school history. FSU is on pace to break the school record for goals per game, points per game and assists per game. FSU currently leads the country in goals per game, points per game and assists per game. FSU also scored 36 goals in ACC play which is the second-most goals ever scored in ACC history during conference play.

Historic Defensive Numbers
After struggling in the first three games of ACC play where FSU gave up seven goals in three goals, FSU has locked down opponent after opponent in the last 12 games. FSU has allowed just four goals in their last 12 matches and has shut out six out of their last seven opponents. The last time FSU has recorded six shutouts in seven games was in 2021 on their way to a National Championship. FSU started with a shutout in the ACC Championship and proceeded to allow just one goal in their six NCAA Tournament games.

Nothing Gets Past Roque
Cristina Roque has solidified herself as one of the top goalies in FSU history, and she continues to get better when the lights are at their brightest. With three shutouts so far in the NCAA Tournament, Roque is FSU's record holder for career shutouts in the NCAA Tournament with 14. Roque is second in school history with 14 wins in the NCAA Tournament. Roque currently has a 0.65 goals against average this season which is tied for the ninth-best in school history.

Success at Home in the NCAA Tournament
FSU has been dominant at home in the NCAA Tournament. Out of 61 games, FSU has advanced in 58 of those games while losing just twice. Overall, FSU has a 57-2-1 record in NCAA Tournament games in Tallahassee. In those 60 games, FSU is outscoring its opponent 170-23.

ACC Champs
For the fourth consecutive season, Florida State won an ACC Championship. FSU defeated Pitt (2-0) and Clemson (2-1) to claim the program's 10th ACC Championship. FSU claimed both the ACC Regular Season Championship and the ACC Tournament Championship for just the fourth time in program history.

A Historic Run
Florida State has been a perennial power for most of this century, but FSU was able to accomplish something they never have in school history this regular season. FSU completed its first ever undefeated regular season in school history with a 14-0-1 record. FSU did complete the 2020 regular season with an 8-0 record with a conference-only schedule. FSU's 20 game unbeaten streak is tied for the second longest streak in school history.

Getting Hot
FSU forward Onyi Echegini has been very impressive all season but has taken her game to another level in recent weeks. In her last nine games, Echegini has scored eight goals and has emerged as the ACC's leading goal scorer. Echegini has scored 10+ goals in back-to-back seasons and is the first Nole to accomplish that feat since Deyna Castellanos in 2018-19. Echegini was named the ACC Offensive Player of the Year, and the ACC Tournament MVP.

A Star in the Making
Freshman forward Jordynn Dudley has put together one of the best freshman seasons in the country. Dudley has scored 12 goals while adding eight assists. Her 12 goals is tied for the second-most ever by a freshman in FSU history. Her 32 points also ranks second among freshman in FSU history. Dudley has recorded a point in eight out of the last nine games for the Seminoles.

Dynamic Duo
The Seminoles have one of the top scoring duos not only in the ACC but also in the country with Jordynn Dudley and Onyi Echegini. Echegini (14) and Dudley (12) have combined to score 26 goals for the Seminoles this season. Echegini and Dudley are the top two scorers in the ACC. This is the first time since 2014 that FSU has had two double-digit scorers in a season.

Spreading the Wealth
Florida State is the best team in the country in terms of spreading the ball around. 13 players have scored for the Seminoles this season which is a top 10 mark in school history. FSU is ranked first in the country with 3.65 assists per game. Taylor Huff leads the team with 13 assists which ranks sixth in the country. Huff's 13 assists is tied for the third most in a single season by a Seminole.

Suffocating Defense
FSU has once again been one of the top defensive teams in the country. FSU has shut out six out of their last seven opponents and have given up just four goals in their last 12 games. Against Miami, the Seminoles did not allow a single shot. This was the first time the Seminoles have held an opponent to 0 shots since Sept. 8, 2019, against Samford. It was the eighth time the Seminoles have held an opponent to 0 shots and just the third time and first time since 2014 that FSU has held an ACC opponent to 0 shots.

Strong PK Showing
Overall, Florida State has a combined record of 12-4 all-time in postseason penalty kicks - including a record of 10-2 since 2005 - and earned the 2011, 2015 and 2016 ACC Championship and the 2021 National Championship by way of PKs.

Comeback Kids
FSU has trailed just three times this season and have made comebacks in each match to either win or tie the match. FSU has trailed twice at the half this season against Syracuse and No. 18 Pitt and came back to win 3-2 in both matches. FSU also fell behind against No. 1 UNC in the final minutes but got a last-second goal from Mimi Van Zanten to earn the draw.

Finishing Strong
The Seminoles have dominated teams in the final 25 minutes of the match. In the last 25 minutes of their games this season, FSU is outscoring opponents 25-4 with two of those goals being surrendered against No. 1 North Carolina.

Dominating the Second Half
The Seminoles have been unstoppable in the final 45 minutes of their first six matches. In the second half this season, FSU is outscoring their opponents 46-4 compared to just a 17-8 advantage in the first half. Under Head Coach Brian Pensky, the Seminoles have outscored their opponents 87-14 in the second half.

Sunday Morning QB....UF

12-0 BABY.....I can't believe I saying this but I am (OLD ENOUGH) to remember being unbeaten against OU in the OB back I believe it was 1979. The first football game (College or pro) that I have been to. I remember going down to SW 8th street where now the Marlin Baseball Stadium sit and watching FSU vs. OU....Went back to back years. One of the seasons FSU was unbeaten and trying to win a national title.

One thing we found out last night is winning is not easy....And winning all 12 games on your schedule is even harder. Alabama went down to a final play on 4th and 30 to beat Auburn who lost to New Mexico State the week ago. You had Washington have to resort to a trick play on 4th down inside their own 30 to win the Apple Cup. You had Georgia going the distance with GT....Seminoles fans should be ecstatic.

Moving forward....I think I may not start watching FSU games until halftime....This team just loves to come out slow and wait till the 2nd half to dominate their opposition...It helps to play a UF team that played with a ton of emotion in the 1st half. Once the emotion is gone...The better team /with the better players won.

QB- Tate - there were highs and lows but the reality is Tate had his moments and that is all you can ask for in a kid's first real start against a rival / trying to keep an unbeaten season intact. Can't worry about the future outside of the next two games....If there are things that I would like to see him improve on is 1) Get rid of the ball quicker, 2) trust the players around you (Bell/Coleman/Wilson/Benson). He showed his toughness when UF decided to deliver a kill shot. That was a BS play. Slides four yards early of the stick...CLEARLY was sliding and the Gator defenders tried to knock him out. Tate deserves credit he did not fold. I do think they need to get Tate outside of the pocket more...he seems to do well rolling out and throwing the ball.

RB-Trey Benson - Warrick Dunn, Dalvin Cook, Sammy Smith....sure there are a couple I am missing....Trey is quickly moving up the list of ALL-TIME Greats. He will have moments where you get frustrated with him. Last night Benson was needed and his three touchdown runs were impressive. Benson is a big time playmaker. He not only can pick up yards, his ability to create big plays is huge. He gets his big plays from pounding the rock. Eventually the defense does not want to tackle him anymore.

WR/TE-Wilson's play really made a difference. On the first TD drive down 12-0 it was Wilson who made the key grab. Jakhi Douglas had a real nice grab which was key. Coleman was a non-factor as receiver. His punt return was big. I expected more out of these guys as UF secondary has struggled....I know many want to blame Tate but the receivers did not play well either. Morlock struggled to block. On one of the TD runs it was Jackson West who had a key block...He earned a scholarship tonight.

OL -FSU offensive line is what it is at this point of the season. They are not very good. It can be injuries....it can be multiple things. Most of the issues that Tate had were because of the guys up front. I think the major issue is TALENT...Guys like Julian Armella are elite as is Early. Once these guys get in you will see more consistency and guys dominating. I also feel a guy like Simmons at Tackle will make a major difference next year. It is time for FSU to develop HS guys on the OL...They have plenty of guys up front who were recruited...Next year they need to step up.

DL-Jared Verse/Patrick Payton - This duo is for real....They were special last night. If they play like that, FSU defense is tough to go against. The DL does give up some runs at time. UF center did have some moments in the first half. UF Center Jake Slaughter was recruited by FSU. He was from Trinity Catholic. Believe he may have even been committed to FSU at one point. Fiske had a nice play on the first drive....he took on a double team, fought it off and had a tackle for loss. Verse was flat out unblock able last night. Crazy that UF tried to cover him with a tight end at some point. Verse through the first quarter looks like an NFL 1st Round Pick (Top Ten Pick)....He dominated. 1st TD drive for UF....Verse lived in the backfield. Damian George for UF never wants to see this man again. Lovett went right through the Gators OG.....

LB-Deloach got caught out of position at times early on. He was caught looking into the backfield and Gators took advantage of it. This was not one of the better games by the linebackers. The LB's on the Gators first touchdown were nowhere to be found. Deloach and Bethune did not do well early on vs. Gator QB. These guys need to trust their eyes. They were out of sync in first half.

DB-Jarrian Jones...Wow...he's come a long way. He is one of the most improved players. This is a kid that obviously had the physical talent...Mentally he was way behind. His tackle behind the line of scrimmage was text book. Even when he gets beat the kid is in position to make plays. Akeem Dent may have not lived up to his five star ranking...but he has turned into a very good starter at FSU. Green got beat off the line early. Shyheim Brown and Dent were both leaders in tackles...That can't be the case as FSU moves on. I would like to know what Akeem Dent did on that sack to warrant a penalty. I guess you can't blitz and tackle a quarterback. That play gifted UF a TD....I never complain about refs but you wonder if that Ref had +6 and the Gators. That Ref should be reprimanded by the ACC....

ST-Fake Punt....great call...Once the clock was running down MN may have wanted to call a TO....The Gators had no clue what was coming. Coleman had a nice punt return....The kicking game was on point again. Overall they have played pretty well this year.

Final Thoughts: A win is a win in a game like this. You saw all day yesterday how tough rivalry games are. Fans want to blow their rivals out...I get it. The Gators played one of their better games this year and still lost by 9. It shows you how good this FSU team is. Moving forward.....Louisville just lost to a UK team that their coach was thinking about leaving, they are one dimensional and honestly have not played a very tough schedule. I feel that FSU is a bigger, more physical team and have the better players....In the end...FSU will make the playoffs and most likely get UGA in round 1....

Polls....

1. UGA - They struggled yesterday against Tech....I do think they are beatable. They have a very good team but of all of Kirbys team in the playoffs this is not the best one....

2. Michigan - I am a big Michigan fan...8 PLUS MINUTES left in the game yesterday and they ate up over 7 minutes of the final quarter and basically ended the game. Michigan has the best OL in the country...and used it yesterday.

3. FSU - I feel FSU does not get enough credit. I saw one guy on ESPN last night have them 6 or 7 and being left out.....Why, if they are unbeaten they deserve to be in....

4. Washington-Washington is a REALLY good football team. They are also very well coached. As I have said with FSU...It is tough to be unbeaten. It would not shock me to see them beat Oregon against next week.

5. Oregon - They get their shot at revenge next week. Oregon vs. Washington should once again be a battle.

6. Texas - They just had their most impressive win this weekend...While Texas Tech is not great...Texas dominated them.

7. Alabama - I will give Bama credit for winning but what the hell was Auburn doing. How do you allow a team on 4th and forever get that pass off...Two man rush...Seriously...bring some pressure. You can't allow the QB to sit back there for ten seconds and get a pass off to a receiver who is single covered...Alabama won’t be so lucky next weekend.

8. Ohio State- I have not been solid on Ohio State all season....Michigan now owns this Buckeye team...They know they are tougher and when the game is on the line....They can’t beat them. Ryan Day is a very good coach but their fans are getting restless.

9. Missouri - This is a team not many will want to play in a bowl game. Luther Burden is one of the best receivers in the country. Their RB is a stud....he had 200 yards rushing in the first half.

10. Penn State - They are once again a ten win team. They have a defense that dominates. Their QB will end up very good. They will return the best backfield in the nation next year.

11. Oklahoma - They finished strong. Ten wins in year two for BV....Can you imagine them playing LSU in a bowl game...They both may score 100.

12. Arizona- Jedd Fisch has done a great job. They dominated ASU yesterday. Game was never close. This is a team that does not have a ton of top end talent. They are just playing great right now.

13. Ole Miss- This team is similar to Ohio State...All hype - no substance. Not sold on this team.

14. LSU- They have a really good offense....Their defense is equally bad. LSU would play for a National Title this year if they were even average on defense.

15. Notre Dame - They had tough schedule and ended up having a good season. They are not elite but ND is a top 15 team.....

Best of the rest....

Oregon State
Iowa
Tennessee
Oklahoma State
Liberty
Tulane

Football Recruiting Weekend visits: Jeremiah Smith makes trip to Florida-FSU, KJ Bolden to visit Auburn

Rivalry Weekend is here and a ton of big visits are happening across the country. Here are 10 that Rivals national recruiting director Adam Gorney is watching the closest.

Football Column: Room for growth but Tate Rodemaker's toughness, clutch undeniable

It wasn’t a perfect night for Tate Rodemaker in his first start in over three years. And yet, with his best throws in the biggest moments and no fatal mistake Saturday night in a hostile atmosphere, it’s hard to question his clutchness.

Updates: No. 5 FSU at Florida

Game day from Gainesville. Florida State plays at Florida (7 p.m. on ESPN). We'll have pregame updates in the thread below and chat with us as well as subscribers during the game

The Seminoles have recorded perfect regular seasons in 1979, 1999, 2013 and 2014 and can join exclusive company with a win at Florida.

FSU has won eight of the last 12 matchups in the series, although Florida picked up wins in The Swamp in 2019 and '21. One more title is in each: FSU is seeking a second straight state championship with a win at Florida.

FSU is 7-0 in November the last two years, including a pair of wins over Miami and last year's home victory over the Gators.

No FSU opponent has scored more than 20 points in seven games in October and November (Miami and Duke each hit 20).

Keon Coleman has 11 TD receptions, which leads the ACC. He is one away from fifth place on FSU's single-season list and would join Ron Sellers (1968), Peter Warrick (1998) and Greg Carr (2006).

Pregame reads

Staff predictions, keys to an FSU win
FSU must play better around Rodemaker
Scouting report: Florida
Rodemaker is poised, confident in first start since 2020
Max Brown is a tough scout for FSU defense
Rodemaker's development rooted in lessons learned, patience
Reactions: TitletownNole

ACC co-champions: FSU volleyball defeats Notre Dame

FSU sports information:

The Florida State Volleyball team (23-8, 16-2) defeated Notre Dame (11-15, 5-13) to become ACC Co-Champions on Saturday. It is their first ACC title since 2012. FSU was predicted to finish tied for fourth in the ACC Volleyball Preseason Poll. The Noles are the first team since 2017 Louisville to be predicted fourth or lower and win an ACC title. The Seminoles share the title with Pittsburgh and finish the regular season on an eight-match win streak.

Notre Dame came prepared and immediately put the pressure on the Seminoles. The first set was a hard-fought tug-of-war between the two teams. FSU had the edge however, winning the first set 25-21. Sydney Conley led the way in the first set with three kills.

In the second set, the Noles had to play a bit of catch-up as the Irish managed to stay one point ahead during the start. FSU kept fighting hard, earning a lead, and then put their foot on the gas to close out the set 25-19.

In the third and final set, the Seminoles found themselves down quickly (2-8). FSU started their comeback off the heels off a Maddie Snider block. The Noles built off that momentum tying the set 11-11. From there it was once again a close back and forth battle. FSU struck the final blow with a kill from Audrey Rothman to win the final set 25-23.

Khori Louis led the team with 11 kills and six blocks during the match. Audrey Koenig was clutch, finishing the day with 17 digs and three kills. Snider led the defensive effort with five blocks. Kenna Phelan finished with 19 assists.

The Florida State Volleyball team will now enter the NCAA Division 1 Women’s Volleyball Championship Tournament. They will find out their destination for the tournament on Sunday at 6 p.m. during the selection show on ESPN

Football New Florida QB Max Brown presents tough-to-scout challenge for FSU defense

UF quarterback Max Brown will be making his first career start Saturday against FSU.What Brown lacks in experience, he may make up for in athleticism. His inexperience has forced the FSU defensive staff to get a bit creative in preparing to face him.

Injured FSU QB Jordan Travis in attendance for Seminoles' game at Florida

Jordan Travis is in attendance for tonight's game vs. Florida just a week after suffering his severe, season-ending leg injury. He's wearing his game jersey in solidarity with the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT