ADVERTISEMENT

“Put Your Dog in the Overhead Bin”

JohnnieHolmesNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Huh? Who is dumber: the airline employee who allegedly gave this command, or the passenger who complied?

I am fairly sure the little pup did not just quietly go to sleep and then pass away. Are we to believe that everyone nearby ignored all of the surely-frantic clawing and yapping until it stopped? Wow. And these same people procreate, drive, vote, etc. Crazy times.

Huh? Who is dumber: the airline employee who allegedly gave this command, or the passenger who complied?

I am fairly sure the little pup did not just quietly go to sleep and then pass away. Are we to believe that everyone nearby ignored all of the surely-frantic clawing and yapping until it stopped? Wow. And these same people procreate, drive, vote, etc. Crazy times.
Stock tip of the day: Short United Airlines

The problem is, people have been conditioned to obey airline employees because they don't want to risk possibly getting removed from the plane, getting put on a do not fly list, and possibly arrested. Airline employees tend to be like cops, and stick together no matter what whenever there's a "situation". They also lie about FAA regulations that don't exist.

The dumbest thing the passenger did was fly United.

I vote no pets on planes, with limited exceptions for bona fide service animals sitting on the floor in front of a separately-purchased seat. Problem solved.
giphy.gif

I have a couple of questions:
1. Why did the dog die simply from being put in the overhead compartment? Surely those things are not airtight - they barely even close well enough for the lock to engage - so it wouldn't have suffocated.
2. Next time I'm flying and someone else is flying with a screaming baby, or there's a toddler sitting behind me kicking my seat, can have the flight attendant make the parents put the bratty kid in overhead?

The problem is, people have been conditioned to obey airline employees because they don't want to risk possibly getting removed from the plane, getting put on a do not fly list, and possibly arrested. Airline employees tend to be like cops, and stick together no matter what whenever there's a "situation". They also lie about FAA regulations that don't exist.

Yep. Was anyone really surprised that this was United?

I have a couple of questions:
1. Why did the dog die simply from being put in the overhead compartment? Surely those things are not airtight - they barely even close well enough for the lock to engage - so it wouldn't have suffocated.
2. Next time I'm flying and someone else is flying with a screaming baby, or there's a toddler sitting behind me kicking my seat, can have the flight attendant make the parents put the bratty kid in overhead?
United has offered to pay for a necropsy. In their statement, they claim " the overwhelming majority of incidents or attributed to animals not being acclimated to its crate or the animal having a pre-existing conditions we weren't aware of."

United has offered to pay for a necropsy. In their statement, they claim " the overwhelming majority of incidents or attributed to animals not being acclimated to its crate or the animal having a pre-existing conditions we weren't aware of."

They left out "animals being put into a confined space having little air flow that's completely dark for four hours". I guess they thought the dog was a gopher.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Now another passenger is claiming they never told the flight attendant there was a dog in the bag. Yet on TV this am, the family states she helped them put it in the overhead bin. Also the dog was barking during the flight but due to turbulence, they could not get up and open the bin. Either way, refer to earlier post in another thread, you can't fix stupid.

UAL took a hit after they dragged that doctor off the plane but shortly there after investors realized such behavior was perhaps a sign that UAL is operating at a heightened state of efficiency and the stock rose beyond it's pre-drag value.

Perhaps they'll see the same type of increases post dog-murder, especially if they determine they can begin charging passengers for their inflight euthanasia service.

I've said for a while that United is nothing but Frontier or Spirit with a more prominent, if not increasingly cruel, brand.

Even creepier to me that not only did United kill this dog, now they're willing to pay to have it cut apart. Buncha ghouls working at that airline!
I assume they'll demand ownership of the video rights to the autopsy so they can use the footage in their next TV commercial.

Why wasn't the dog crated and put down in the luggage hold area?

Some airline should change their slogan to "we won't intentionally injure you or torture your pets," which will immediately put set them apart from the field.

Once the dog barked, I would have gotten up and let the dog out, I am shocked that no other passenger did that, but then as someone stated above, stupid people fly United.

Once the dog barked, I would have gotten up and let the dog out, I am shocked that no other passenger did that, but then as someone stated above, stupid people fly United.
If indeed the passenger didn't say anything and have the dog in a bag, they might have played off the barking because they didn't want to get caught.

If indeed the passenger didn't say anything and have the dog in a bag, they might have played off the barking because they didn't want to get caught.

I know and understand that completely, but I find it hard to believe that not one other person showed concern once the dog started barking, and barked for a long period? Are we that far removed as a society that potentially dozens of others just ignored a barking dog in an overhead compartment of an airliner?

I know and understand that completely, but I find it hard to believe that not one other person showed concern once the dog started barking, and barked for a long period? Are we that far removed as a society that potentially dozens of others just ignored a barking dog in an overhead compartment of an airliner?
Yes.

In one of the articles, they had a statement from a couple who sat near the family. When the couple realized a dog was in the bag, they said they Googled "can a dog survive in overhead bin" or something like that. And that's the only action they took! If that's not indicative of the society we have become......

I'm sure when the dog finally stopped barking, the thought most had was "about damn time that dog shut up" - without giving much thought to why, exactly, it shut up.

ADVERTISEMENT