ADVERTISEMENT

1 Blockbuster store left

Thats wild. The last blockbuster left is in Bend, OR as they just closed two stores in Alaska.

Man, going there and picking out movies was always a fun thing to do on a weekend night.
Exactly, It was like going to a singles bar!

Yes it was!. Was it the Redbox and other options that killed blockbuster or did they crumble from the top?

Yes it was!. Was it the Redbox and other options that killed blockbuster or did they crumble from the top?

Pretty sure it was when Netflix started up. They charged like $8-10 a month for dvd's via mail. I used them. The DVD's arrived within 2 days. Then they started streaming. Then Blockbuster rapidly disappeared.
Another victim of technology.

Thats wild. The last blockbuster left is in Bend, OR as they just closed two stores in Alaska.

Man, going there and picking out movies was always a fun thing to do on a weekend night.
OH man. The one in Alaska just got all that cool stuff from Russell Crowe donated by John Oliver.

I remember making it a point to go the local non chain stores to help they stay in business vs the behemoth Blockbuster.

What good that did lol.

I seem to remember, at least down here in Florida, that Blockbuster had the “Red Box style” machines in supermarkets first. I think they sold them to Redbox afterwards. Seems like they should have kept doing that sort of renting.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I went to Movie Galary. The thing that sucked most about those stores was when I'd drive 10 minutes there to only realize the movie I wanted was all rented out.

Reactions: Bml07

Before my time by a couple years but there were still old Chiefs who talked about it as it was the only “nonBCS” bowl game they went to. And while I was in Chiefs it was three sugars (Florida, Florida again and Ohio State) and an orange (Notre Dame). Then by the time my wife was in Chiefs eight years later we had already degraded to the point she only got to go to one decent bowl.

Before my time by a couple years but there were still old Chiefs who talked about it as it was the only “nonBCS” bowl game they went to. And while I was in Chiefs it was three sugars (Florida, Florida again and Ohio State) and an orange (Notre Dame). Then by the time my wife was in Chiefs eight years later we had already degraded to the point she only got to go to one decent bowl.
Correct. That was one of the lesser bowls during the dynasty years.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Pretty sure it was when Netflix started up. They charged like $8-10 a month for dvd's via mail. I used them. The DVD's arrived within 2 days. Then they started streaming. Then Blockbuster rapidly disappeared.
Another victim of technology.

Those who innovate fastest win. Blockbuster couldn't get to market fast enough.

I went to Movie Galary. The thing that sucked most about those stores was when I'd drive 10 minutes there to only realize the movie I wanted was all rented out.
Even worse was calling to check and they’d confirm they had a few, but by the time you got there the suckers were gonnnne

Reactions: KitingHigh

People came to hate Blockbuster because of their onerous late fee policy. They didn’t create a lot of goodwill.

2000:
Opportunity doesn’t often knock twice, but it did when DVD subscription service Netflix was offered to Blockbuster for $50 million. The company declined the offer. Also that year, the company took in a staggering $800 million in late fees, which made up 16 percent of revenue for that year.

There was a streak between 82 and 96 when FSU went 14-0-1 (damn Bulldogs). It was unheard of to lose a bowl game.

It was a great run. I will always remember how Bobby's teams visibly improved over the course of the season, and how we benefitted from our incredible depth. There honestly was not a ton of difference between the first teamers and the third teamers (subject to some obvious exceptions, of course). But as other teams got worn down as injuries mounted, FSU was still flying high. Good memories.

I do personally remember that one...Was played in the ol' "Launching Pad", A.K.A. Atlanta-Fulton Co. Stadium. We'd had a poor season but still managed to blow out the Heels 28-3.

I was 7 years old and my parents promised that we would go to a bowl game if FSU made it.
(this is back when there weren't 60 bowl games and it was a pretty big deal to go to one)
I can still remember running around my house going nuts when they made the announcement on the 6 o'clock news.
And yes it was freezing that night!

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT