ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Braves Thread

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
Well Braves fans, if there are any out there, it has begun again. This is the first time in many years, Atlanta goes into the season with no expectations for me. I can't come close to even naming half of the starting lineup or rotation. Could actually be relaxing savoring the few wins and not being upset over the losses.

Guess I need to do some research and learn who all these young guns are.

been a brave since 1973 endured the first dark age taste a little success after then fell off for a while. After the The Ted divested our corporate ownership "hello Liberty Media" has driven my childhood team steadily into mediocrity where is Mark Cuban when you need him?

Reactions: NoleRob
It's going to be a bad year for the major league team, but the minor league squads could be good. Just suck up a year or two more, and the team should be competitive. The young guys are extremely talented, and even have a few bats. If the pitching develops, there aren't enough spots and those can be traded for more bats. Swanson, Albies and Smith look like they could be ready next year for the new ballpark. This year doesn't look good, but the future does look bright. Potential future lineup:

Smith
Swanson
Freeman
Olivera
Inciarte/Markakis (whoever stays)
Ruiz./Riley (not sure either will be ready, if not FA)
Flowers/FA Catcher
Albies

Some of those spots can definitely be moved around as players develop, and needs some more pop, but these are some good hitters.

Rotation (which ofcourse I will be way off on because of trades and development)
Teheran
Newcomb
Wisler
Blair
Jenkins

Bullpen is anyone's guess, but likely Viscaino as closer and Withrow as setup; and I think Simmons stays if he's healthy

That still leaves pitching in the minors of Sims, Folty (likely bullpen move), Toussaint, Allard, Fried, Ellis, Banuelos (think he moves to pen as well).

That's a ton of talent to be excited for in 2017 and beyond, just have to get through 2016.

Very low expectations, first time in forever I'm really excited about opening day for my Braves.

Feelsbadman

I have been a braves fan since the mid 70's. Used to go to a braves game in Fulton County Stadium and it was a normal day to have 5000 fans or less. You could buy a general admission ticket and sit anywhere in the stadium you wanted.

If they keep on like they're going this year, in a couple of years we may be back to that same scenario.

After the The Ted divested our corporate ownership "hello Liberty Media" has driven my childhood team steadily into mediocrity where is Mark Cuban when you need him?

AMEN.

Add insult to injury as Olivera was arrested in Arlington for domestic violence. Maybe the Braves can use this incident to void his contract and save about $35MM.

The worst part is that the Braves haven't played even close to their worst baseball yet--they've just given away a few close games. Wait until everyone gives up and the young guys start coming up and taking their lumps. It's a pretty veteran club their running out there right now.

Well, this is getting ugly now. At least they might have a couple desirable pieces that they might be able to move at the deadline.

3 homeruns so far.......3. McCutchen had that many last night. I believe I saw a tweet that 57 players have more than 3 and 90 something players have at least 3. It would be one thing if the team was winning, but they way the Braves are losing is at an historical level. Poor Teheran, pitched his best game all season and was pumped and motivating the team and couldn't even get 1 run of support.

I knew this season would be bad, and was prepared for it. I wasn't prepared for this sh*tstorm. What an epically bad send-off for Turner Field. It would be one thing if these were some of the young guys like Swanson, Albies, Ruiz and the slew of pitchers, but with the exception of Wisler, Smith, and Blair (who I'm not sure if he's staying), this is AJ, Norris, EOF, Aybar (who is GOD AWFUL), Franceur, etc...The average age of the roster is 29, good for 10th oldest roster in the Majors.

Agree with all of the above. This has been a mismanaged boondoggle by the front office from the beginning. I don't understand those blaming Fredi. He's been given chicken poop and has been asked to make chicken salad. Ticket prices should be reduced to Triple A level at least.

I agree Fredi has little to work with, but he still makes wrong in game decisions. Such as, ever playing Aybar or allowing him to pinch hit in crucial situations. Not challenging Freeman being out at second base in the 7th inning the other night that would have loaded the bases, and Freeman clearly had his foot on the bag before the ball arrived. Allowing EOF to ever pitch (there is another lefty in the pen who has been serviceable, Cervenka). I don't blame Fredi on the whole, but I do blame Fredi for his mis-steps in game.

Mallex Smith...( homegrown Tallahassee Rickards High ) will be an All-Star in 3 years.

Poor Teheran. His last 3 starts have been terrific and he still doesn't have a win.

So the Braves trade Chacin for another rookie league pitcher???? Hey front office! You have an offense that is anemic at best and possibly dead. You don't think that maybe you could've picked up a bat instead?

So the Braves trade Chacin for another rookie league pitcher???? Hey front office! You have an offense that is anemic at best and possibly dead. You don't think that maybe you could've picked up a bat instead?

And he is a project, not even a prospect, according to reports/scouts. 6'8" and 195 lbs lefty reliever. Strange move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT