ADVERTISEMENT

2017 LR Fitness and Weight Loss Thread

I took the entire month of December off, had our first baby, lost all my gains.

I was 173 and pretty solid, now I'm 167 and a little softer than I'd like.

Shooting for a solid 175 heading in to softball season this April.

I crossed the 190 mark after the first of the year, which means it's time to start cutting. I'll maintain until the Super Bowl, then start a three month cut. Goal is to get down to 180.

Reactions: cmanole
Lost all of 10 lbs last year. 267 - 257. Goal this year is 227. Actually got into some good exercise habits last year but struggled with diet. Strategy is to exercise more and eat less. A lot less. Have been (processed) sugar free for two weeks now. Going to keep that going as long as possible. No candy, no cake, no soda, no sweets of any kind.

Reactions: booker20
Lost all of 10 lbs last year. 267 - 257. Goal this year is 227. Actually got into some good exercise habits last year but struggled with diet. Strategy is to exercise more and eat less. A lot less. Have been (processed) sugar free for two weeks now. Going to keep that going as long as possible. No candy, no cake, no soda, no sweets of any kind.
That's awesome, and I hope that you can keep it up, but just allowing small amounts is probably going to make it more sustainable.

After dropping 170 lbs in the last 3 years( 80 lbs lost last year) I'm now at 215lbs which is just 15 lbs shy of my high school weight decades ago. I lost the weight mostly from drinking lots of purified water daily and cycling(8,400 miles in 2016). My 2017 goal is to lose those final 15 lbs and then to forever maintain that weight loss.

Hey Guys,
Still churning away with the 21 day fix. Have slacked off on the diet slightly, have maintained 235 for several months now. I started my journey at 311 last January. Can't decide if I want to get back down in the 220's (was there briefly in August). Keep it up!

Reactions: ericram and noleit
Hey Guys,
Still churning away with the 21 day fix. Have slacked off on the diet slightly, have maintained 235 for several months now. I started my journey at 311 last January. Can't decide if I want to get back down in the 220's (was there briefly in August). Keep it up!
You definitely do want to get back down there! My diet has been pure crap the last few months... But I've been able to run/lift enough to keep the weight in check.

Have to get back to sandwiches (lunch meat) and salads todrag it down to around 195 by the end of the summer (kind of a goal, 15 more pounds to go!).

Yeah I hit 227 back in August, but that was strict diet, no happy days, 1 cheat day every 21 days. Got a few stressful months ahead with work, I think come April/May I will get the diet back in check. If I start edging away from the 230's I'm sure that timeline will be expeditited.

Reactions: noleit and booker20
Started 2016 at 204, got up to 213 in early Feb, ended at 192. Got back in to the routine of oatmeal for breakfast, baked pork chop with a serving of steamed broccoli for lunch then eggs or cereal for dinner, so I'm back to losing a pound a week.

Ready to get down to 185 and start to maintain and get some lean muscle going. That's going to be the mission for me - maintaining while trying to increase protein intake. Any suggestions?

Reactions: noleit
I was at 170lbs 18 months ago. I was lean and in the best shape of my adult life, I felt great!!! I ate healthy, worked out an hour day, 5 days a week.

Today, I'm 211lbs, I look and feel like a fat turd. New job with lots of travel, having kids now, and a move is my lame excuse as to why I let myself go. I also increased an already bad liquid diet over the last 18 months as well.

But today is a new day! I'm one week back in the gym and feeling more sore than I can ever remember feeling. I've stayed away from the booze and have been eating healthy. These small changes have already made an impact with my sleep and productivity around the house.

I'm excited to continue with my momentum!

Wright 211lbs
Neck 16.5
Arms 15
Chest 47
Waist 43
Hips 40
Thighs 25

Reactions: cmanole and jim65
That is a great idea, putting up actual measurements that you San go back and compare to!

Only thing I really need to shrink is my gut. Just haven't had the motivation to get back to my diet of salad and lunch meat sandwiches for every lunch/ sometimes supper.

My gut is my biggest nemesis hands down; and the 44inches is across my belly button, not my belt line. The more weight I gain, the skinner my arms and legs get, it's wild.

When it comes to getting strong, I struggle with my legs when you compare to how fast my arms, back, and chest develop. The strength ratio between the two is very disproportionate. This go around I have a much larger focus on working out legs and not over working my upper body. That is going to be hard to accomplish, but I'm going to do my best to stay conscious of it.

Checking in at 260. The last job I had took a toll on my health working from 7am-8pm most days. Hoping to get down into the 235 range where I was in 2014. Walking 10-12 miles a week and joining a gym when my wife and I get settled into our new house.

Well, playing basketball yesterday (there were a few guys around my age (38)) I got tripped from hind and landed squarely on my formerly "good" shoulder... Any weight lifting I had been doing is now indefinitely suspended. Damn 25 year old kids!

Well, playing basketball yesterday (there were a few guys around my age (38)) I got tripped from hind and landed squarely on my formerly "good" shoulder... Any weight lifting I had been doing is now indefinitely suspended. Damn 25 year old kids!

Recreational sports in your late 30's is never a good idea. Us GenX peeps need to stick with jogging, cycling, and rowing. If you're in really good shape, then maybe a little softball or kite surfing.

Basketball and Football....no bueno!

Recreational sports in your late 30's is never a good idea. Us GenX peeps need to stick with jogging, cycling, and rowing. If you're in really good shape, then maybe a little softball or kite surfing.

Basketball and Football....no bueno!
This is the first chance I've had to play semi-competutive basketball (&been in good enough shape) in 15-20 years.

Just gotta grin & bear it!

51 years old and need to lose 50lbs. Any suggestions?
If you find yourself struggling with portion control and what to eat, I would suggest 21day Fix through beachbody. It is an easy program but keeps you accountable. I have lost over 80 lbs in less than a year, and have kept it off. I started January 2016 at 311 lbs. Got down to 227 by August of 2016. I started lifting a little heavier again and have gained up to 235. Have maintained that weight fairly easily.

If you find yourself struggling with portion control and what to eat, I would suggest 21day Fix through beachbody. It is an easy program but keeps you accountable. I have lost over 80 lbs in less than a year, and have kept it off. I started January 2016 at 311 lbs. Got down to 227 by August of 2016. I started lifting a little heavier again and have gained up to 235. Have maintained that weight fairly easily.
That's awesome baby w/ a capital A!

I've let any semblance of better eating seemingly go... And because things are so busy right now w/ the kids (school, band, sports) I'm not exercising (running, curls, triceps) as often.

Reactions: billanole
That's awesome baby w/ a capital A!

I've let any semblance of better eating seemingly go... And because things are so busy right now w/ the kids (school, band, sports) I'm not exercising (running, curls, triceps) as often.
I have hit a couple of those spells where I catch myself eating like crazy and not in the good way, or I'll take 3-4 days off from working out. Feels good while I am doing it, and hurts like a mutha when I get myself squared back away

Quick update.

I'm down from 211 to 195. My waist has gone from 143 to 140.5.

Not bad for a 3.5 weeks. I even took a trip to Vegas for week during this time. I only worked out twice while there, but ate incredibly well. Very low carbs, and vodka and water for my beverage of choice; which was actually really good.

Still need to lose at leaset 15lbs. The rest will take care of itself.

Last edited:
As planned, I moved up from 183 this summer and reached 211 in December (210 was my goal). The rugby season will soon be winding down, so I have began cutting back down and currently am at around 202. I'd like to be around 185 this summer.

Reactions: DanC78
I started 2017 at 216. This morning I'm at 206. I was plateaued around 208 for most of February but I seem to be moving back in the right direction. I'd like to lose about 6 more and stay at 200. I think at 6'4" that will be a good weight to maintain.

I built a 32x36 barn/workshop near the end of last year, so, since I've had room to setup my exercise equipment, I've actually been using it 3-4 times per week. I feel like I have gotten quite a bit stronger too. A few months ago I might be able to do 3 pull ups. Now I can do 10+.

Reactions: pink shizzle
That time of year again. Going to do my 2nd Gate River Run 15K tomorrow. Last year at almost 300lbs finished in 2:36...hoping that some 80lbs lighter I can get in at or under the 2 hour mark

Reactions: BOwens21
Ok, you guys have inspired me. Retired one year ago weighing 208. That was the most I had ever weighed and I wasn't happy at all. My history was 25 years in a very high stress job; on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Typical bedtime 12:00 to 12:30 am, get up at 5:45 am. Light workout with light weights (inconsistently). Since I've retired I've maintained consistent workouts every other day supplemented recently by treadmill following workouts. I'm clearly gaining muscle weight, but I've also gained a tremendous amount in the gut area. I'm getting a lot more sleep, and am living about as stress free as I could ever have imagined. I've had 9 knee operations combined, and 4 shoulder surgeries combined, so I'm limited in some of the weight training and aerobic routines that I can do. I weighed in at 238 today and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how to correct it. I'm eating less each day than I was when I was working. Sorry for the length of this post, but thought some of the particulars might help. Would love to get your thoughts.

I weighed in at 238 today and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and how to correct it. I'm eating less each day than I was when I was working. Sorry for the length of this post, but thought some of the particulars might help. Would love to get your thoughts.

You can't outrun a bad diet. In other words, no matter how much you exercise, if you consume more calories that you burn, you're going to gain weight.

Start by calculating your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). That's the total number of calories your body requires to maintain its current weight. Google "TDEE calculator" and several options will come up.

Next, determine your caloric deficit. A deficit of 3,500 calories will result in one pound of weight loss, so a 500 calorie a day deficit will result in one pound lost per week (7 x 500=3,500). I recommend a deficit of no more than 10-20% of your TDEE.

Finally, track your calories. If you're honest about everything you put in your mouth each day, you'd be surprised at how quickly it adds up. I use Myfitness pal - it's got the nutrition info for just about everything in its database and is easy to use.

Good luck!

You can't outrun a bad diet. In other words, no matter how much you exercise, if you consume more calories that you burn, you're going to gain weight.

Start by calculating your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). That's the total number of calories your body requires to maintain its current weight. Google "TDEE calculator" and several options will come up.

Next, determine your caloric deficit. A deficit of 3,500 calories will result in one pound of weight loss, so a 500 calorie a day deficit will result in one pound lost per week (7 x 500=3,500). I recommend a deficit of no more than 10-20% of your TDEE.

Finally, track your calories. If you're honest about everything you put in your mouth each day, you'd be surprised at how quickly it adds up. I use Myfitness pal - it's got the nutrition info for just about everything in its database and is easy to use.

Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate this. I will try it and let you know how it goes.

So I finished my 2nd Gate River Run saturday. Last year my time was 2:36, I was 2 months into my weight loss program and still weighed in the 280's. I finished satruday in 1:53, and am currently in the 230's. Under 2 hours was my goal and I made it. I didn't take my first run/jog break until after the 5 mile mark. shooting for 1:45 next year I think..........

It's been awhile since I've been on.

Started January at 242lbs close to the worst shape of my life.

At the moment, down to 236. My goal is to be 215 by September. Eating less and cleaner, cut down on the boooze, and work out 4-5 days a week.

Was doing incredibly well for a month and then fell off the last 3 weeks. The first week was simply missing the gym, second week was no gym and eating moderately bad, this past week was full blown gluttony.

I can already tell my energy level is low again, sleep is not good, and not feeling as focused. Time to get back at after it, need to stay consistent this time. Shouldn't be a problem since I have no travel plans coming up...knock on wood!

Stay after everyone! Don't lose focus like I did, it's not worth losing all the momentum and progress.

Entered a weight challenge at work today. Weighed in at the heaviest I've ever been.

Pretty disappointed in myself. Making the next 45 days count

Entered a weight challenge at work today. Weighed in at the heaviest I've ever been.

Pretty disappointed in myself. Making the next 45 days count
I can relate. When I began my journey in Jan 2016, I was over 70lbs heavier than I had ever been in my life. Sucked in the beginning, but has been an awesome feeling losing it and keeping it off

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT