2020/21 Women's Soccer

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
In the video above, I noticed that Clara is still wearing a knee brace and K Lynch is not.
I believe Mark said all were healthy. That's a first. Can't wait to see what Emily brings to the table.

Reactions: NoleFreak85

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I expect we will see much more substituting since this is not a championship run. I expect
we will see all players at some time. Hope this works well for the team and the players.
I'll be interested to see which seniors will come back for another season.
It has been suggested that MB and GC have done enough to move on to a pro career if they so choose.
Others may move on to their chosen career (outside of soccer).
The other side of the coin, is some of these same seniors can work on an advanced degree at FSU's expense.
It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I expect we will see much more substituting since this is not a championship run. I expect
we will see all players at some time. Hope this works well for the team and the players.
I'll be interested to see which seniors will come back for another season.
It has been suggested that MB and GC have done enough to move on to a pro career if they so choose.
Others may move on to their chosen career (outside of soccer).
The other side of the coin, is some of these same seniors can work on an advanced degree at FSU's expense.
It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
I am assuming you say that this won’t be a championship run because the NCAA has said there will not be any championships for fall sports. What is your opinion about the overall talent level of this year’s team vs. last years?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
You can't lose a Deyna Castellanos w/o it hurting. That said, we have a very promising roster. Having Lynch, Madrill, Robbins and Nesbeth back at full speed is a huge upgrade.
I have no inside info as to our freshmen. I am hopeful Brown can give us that speedy forward we have been missing. I'm hoping putting Madril in the back will help to solidify a unit that was not up to FSU standards last year.
Time will tell, but I'm hopeful!
I didn't fully appreciate how KEY Kuikka was to our championship run! Kuikka definitely makes an all time FSU team if I had any say.

kodiackid

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Is UNC not on the schedule because they expect an ACC tournament? Hope so. Annoyingly, UF has had three scrimmages that I have read about and supposedly their team is much, much better and has an outstanding freshman. It's not that I think UF is particularly good, it's just that at least I get a little info on the UF site and nothing on FSU. Hopefully the FSU games will be on ACC net.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Is UNC not on the schedule because they expect an ACC tournament? Hope so. Annoyingly, UF has had three scrimmages that I have read about and supposedly their team is much, much better and has an outstanding freshman. It's not that I think UF is particularly good, it's just that at least I get a little info on the UF site and nothing on FSU. Hopefully the FSU games will be on ACC net.
We've never gotten much info out of the soccer program. To be honest, I don't know if that is because Mark guards it closely, or if those covering FSU sports just aren't asking. I'm guessing it's the former.

Reactions: Crazyhorse20

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
If a couple players can help lessen the loss of Deyna up top and the defense can get shored up, the sky is the limit for this team. I am less concerned about our defense, which was atrocious last season; Madrils return and Bogrens addition will be tremendous. The offense is questionable with Deyna gone. She distracted everyone and opened up the field for other strikers like KM or JN. This year the defense will not have to focus on one player and it will be more difficult to break opponents down. I hope Nesbeth will be healed, Brown will be good and Iwai will add even more creativity to our attack. Go Noles!

Lanoles

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
2020-21 Schedule is out.. Soccer Schedule
THURSDAY, SEP. 17
Tallahassee, Fla.
NOTRE DAME *
8:00 PM

SUNDAY, SEP. 20
Tallahassee, Fla.
LOUISVILLE *
1:00 PM

THURSDAY, OCT. 01
Blacksburg. Va.
VIRGINIA TECH *
8:00 PM

SUNDAY, OCT. 04
Winston-Salem, N.C.
WAKE FOREST *
TBA

THURSDAY, OCT. 15
Pittsburgh, Pa.
PITT *
6:00 PM

SUNDAY, OCT. 18
Charlottesville, Va.
VIRGINIA *
3:00 PM

THURSDAY, OCT. 29
Tallahassee, Fla.
DUKE *
TBA

SUNDAY, NOV. 01
Tallahassee, Fla.
CLEMSON *
TBA

Reactions: NoleLizards

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Florida State returns players that accounted for 75.5 percent of their goals (37 of 49) and 75 percent of their assists (33 of 44) from the 2019 season. The Seminoles return 15 of 21 players from a season ago.

No Deyna but I have a good feeling about tonight. Of course I felt the same way before ND shocked the Noles at the 'plex in 2017. The field will probably be soft and slow which is good for our game, I imagine the defense will key on #4 Sammi Fisher.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Emily looks like a slightly quicker version of Malia IMO.
The freshman looks good in goal. I missed the first 10 minutes.
JN needs to not shoot from 20 yards away. Get the ball to Jodi Brown.
Jodi looks dynamic.
We may have found our pace forward.
Very little to go on, so I may be jumping to conclusions.
Interesting that he switched Gabby and Kirsten.
Promising, but it is ND and UNC.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Jodi looks dynamic.

Jodi may be the fastest player EVER at FSU, only McCarty is close. I wonder where Heather Payne is?

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Jodi looks dynamic.
I'm falling in love with Jodi Brown's exceptional quickness and aggressive style!

DoubleNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Good game! I felt like sometimes last year they were all waiting for Deyna to do her thing. Now it seems like they are all trying to step up. Lots of great options for great plays.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jodi Brown and Ran Iwai were impressive on the attack.
Agree. Ran Iwai is very comfortable (Ran)ing at players with the ball at her feet.
Her short area quickness allows her to get some separation.
Jodi Brown will finally give us that speed up top AND she has good ball skills.
Heck, I even saw Kaitlyn Zipay flash a couple of times. Looks to be a very good freshmen class.
I thought having Emily in the CB made an immediate defensive and offensive upgrade vs last year.
Roque looks very promising in goal. No telling how good Bogren is because Mark doesn't substitute on the
back line.
Clara also was impressive I thought.
Lots to like. Let's see how we look going forward.

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Here are a couple of articles from TN by Prince Akeem Joffer. He's the best.
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2020/9/17/21443655/florida-state-2020-soccer-preview
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2020...te-soccer-routs-notre-dame-to-open-the-season
If we stay healthy, we are likely to make some noise this year.
Good stuff.

It seemed like ND tried to pressure the ball last night but their roster and conditioning couldn't sustain it. Once they fatigued FSU countered with fresh legs and exploited huge gaps.

I suppose we should expect defensive shell strategies going forward.

In any case Coach Krikorian has a nice mix of speed and strength to work with this year. I'm excited.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I just finished watching the game and was totally impressed. Even when Downtown Jody Brown was not on the field, we were much faster and quicker than ND. Looks very good for the rest of the fall season.

I was also pleased to learn about the "plan" for a spring season and NCAA championships. Let's hope it doesn't get derailed.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jody Brown has a chance to be the best Forward in FSU history. That assumes progression and good health.
This team has lots of skill and much better speed. If we stay healthy, our ability to attack from the wings will be 100% better than last year. Emily immediately makes our back line much better. Her attacking ability is on a par with Malia Berkeley.

Reactions: NoleFreak85

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Mark has traditionally been very stingy with substitutes. I hope with this deep roster that he expands the role and the time of substitutes.
The only roles he will not substitute are the back line and the goalkeeper

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I’m not a knowledgeable soccer fan, but this is one great team! Last night was an amazing performance (and they didn’t even have all of their expected starters). I can’t wait for Sunday.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
What expected starter were they missing? Heather Payne? Would she start this year? Where?
The turnaround from last year to this year in our ability to attack is remarkable. It is all about health and newcomers.
Clara Robbins is healthy and at (or very near) full speed.
Leilani Nesbeth is much faster this year post injury.
Kristina Lynch is healthy. They all can attack 1 v 1.
Add in Jody Brown who is a blur with ball skills. She is just what the Doctor ordered.
Kaitlyn Zipay also has good wheels and ball skills.
Ran Iwai is a revelation with the ball at her feet. Reminds me of Gloriana. (maybe faster)
I didn't see enough of Lauren Flynn, but she might be in that group.
As a result of this we become extremely dangerous on counterattacks. Think Cheyna Williams.
That means that teams like UNC and UCLA playing very aggressive defense, now run the risk of quick
and lethal counterattacks.
Yay!

kodiackid

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Not as impressed as everybody here, but then I really don’t know much about soccer so my opinion isn’t worth much. Nice win but I thought last year’s team and the one before that both controlled the ball better.

Sawyer55

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Not as impressed as everybody here, but then I really don’t know much about soccer so my opinion isn’t worth much. Nice win but I thought last year’s team and the one before that both controlled the ball better.

Maybe....last years team also struggled greatly to score.

This team looks like it might be worlds better in that area.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Maybe....last years team also struggled greatly to score.

This team looks like it might be worlds better in that area.
Agree. We went from being a slow possession team that struggled
to attack from the wings, to a fast possession team that CAN attack from the wings.
I can't wait to test ourselves against UVA.
Frankly, I think we win. ***I may be drawing too many conclusions from a single game.
That said, you rarely hear Mark say in a post game, "“I thought we did a great job in front of goal. We attacked in a lot of different ways, from a lot of different angles, a lot of people involved in the attack and scored some really nice goals,” said Krikorian. “It’s not typical when you’re playing, especially in an opening game, to have the quality in front of the goal we displayed today. I thought our finishing was quite good.”

Last edited:

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I was primarily thinking Payne and Newton (based upon last year’s team). Also, Bogren came in so highly ranked I expect her to make some noise. But you are right, that was last year’s and this year’s team are so different with several players shining thus far.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Were Newton and Bogren even present for the ND game? When will Payne be back?

Latest posts