2020/21 Women's Soccer

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I don’t pretend to be a soccer expert, really just a FSU fan. But having watched every match this season, here’s what I think (or wonder) following the Duke contest.

We have a really good group of players this year (something like 10 of the Top 27 rated players in the country so our team should be good, right)? Therefore, it seems like we should be beating teams more decisively recently, but we aren’t (yes, I realize the competition has dramatically increased). But I would hate to waste the opportunity we have with the talent this team

Brown is expected to be a star but she continues to miss out on scoring opportunities that are there for her. This factor alone would make our final scores more decisive. I realize she is only a freshman.

In the last three matches, the other team has gotten behind our defense for one on one breakaway plays and it’s been scary. I need someone more knowledgeable about soccer than me to explain how that is happening.

This team has the players to be an ACC and national championship team. The players just have to play their best and coach needs to put players in the best position to win. They are fun to watch. Go Noles!
Soccer can be very frustrating because the better team does not always win.
Last night was just about right. We were the better team, but not by much.
If both Duke and FSU capitalized on 'woulda coulda shouda' opportunities, it would have been like 4-3 or 5-4.
That is not atypical in soccer.
FSU, especially Gabby Carle, has to clean up the defense on those long direct passes, and on crosses. To be fair at least 2 key ones against UVA and at least one against Duke were offsides that did not get called.
Gabby cannot allow these girls to get inside leverage on her.
Brown will break out. Until then, her presence and speed is stressing the defense and producing goal scoring opportunities for others.
We will be just fine. We won't always score 4 goals. We have become somewhat spoiled as fans.

DoubleNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Random thoughts:

I think we really missed McFarland up top. Not sure if she was injured.

I’ve watched a couple Duke games this year and Sophie Jones is considered a top player but I thought Howell and others did a great job of limiting her effectiveness.

Most of dukes penetration seemed to come on transitions when some Defenders and the midfield did not get back soon enough to help. Our pressure in the attacking third is awesome and exciting but leaves us a bit more exposed against top teams who transition quickly.

I’m not sure if duke players where just missing shots but roque (keeper) seemed to do well in getting in the right position to limit those opportunities.

Overall, we really controlled in the second half and I’m excited for Sunday’s game and then hopefully see us against UNC in the tournament.

Last edited:

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Futbol is one of the few competitions that can go 99.9% in favor of one team, only to finish with the other team victorious. It is fascinating and infuriating.
I have only been able to see bits and pieces this season, but in a normal season, you would expect the Noles to once again go deep into the tourney... Mark has got some horses for the race once again. Those kids are talented and focused.

DoubleNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
With no football to watch I went back and rewatched the end of our game with duke. The goal in the final 13 seconds is really great to watch again.

The play started with Berkeley stealing the ball from duke who was driving towards our goal. She decisively brings the ball up the field to about 20 feet from the 18, then makes a really nice pass over to Nighswonger who ripped a shot on frame, which was blocked by the keeper over the goal.

Then, Zhao takes the corner, sending a nice ball in that is headed by Madril. The ball seems to deflect off a duke player and lands at the feet of Howell who is facing away from the goal. Howell does an amazing spin move to turn and fling the ball into the net past several duke players and their goalie. Amazing sequence and definitely worth a watch.

mignatz

Star Player
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2011
I’m planning a trip to Tally today. Asking because I’m not sure, but are they allowing general admission to the game? If so, how much are tickets?

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I’m planning a trip to Tally today. Asking because I’m not sure, but are they allowing general admission to the game? If so, how much are tickets?
Yes on admission, I forget the single game price but tickets are cheap. The free view from the top of the parking garage is not too bad you will see a crew of fun loving regulars there.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
What a great Senior Day! A 2-0 shutout against the #3 team in the country that had no shots on goal, a likely #1 seed in the ACC Tournament, (hopefully), and a breakout game by Jody Brown with two goals. Great season Noles! See you in the ACC Tournament.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
IMO Dallas Dorosy was at least as fast. The difference is JB is much better on the ball.
Assuming health, she may leave here as a multi-year AA and as the best pace forward ever at FSU.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Just watched it on replay. It was blacked out for me.
Thoughts.
Clemson is very physical. They need a physical game to compete against a team like FSU.
If the ref calls it tighter and gives yellow cards for persistent fouls, CU is in trouble.
I hate not seeing Heather Payne in there.
I want to see more of JB. I love Kmac, but JB just adds an element of speed and on-ball skill that makes us so much more dangerous.
Flynn got a lot of run. She doesn't mind getting physical and has tons of hustle. She is not a quick twitch athlete, but you'll get her best, sorta' like Kmac.
Zipay has a good mind for the game. She sees the field and where opportunities may be. Her on-ball skills are good, but I suspect will improve to elite before she leaves FSU.
Clara has just been so good, 2nd only to JH in importance to this team IMO. She and Nighswonger both showed strong and powerful shots.
Madril is showing more confidence and danger in the final 3rd. She's actually better IMO than Berkely in tight spaces in and around the box.
Roque has to be more aggressive on those crosses and free kicks into the box IMO.
Mark has a team that is capable of playing the physical style of a CU or UNC. Nighswonger and Zhao are most impacted by that, but they are getting better at it. Players like Kmac, JH, EM and MB relish the physicality.
High quality win where we dominated possession and put 10/12 shots on goal. A very high percentage.

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
This will not be the last we see of Jody Brown and her impact on a game. I'd just like to see a few more minutes of her.
I know I harp on this, but I'd love to see more of Heather Payne. She just looks so comfortable on the ball. She would absolutely start on most ACC teams and be a star.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
This will not be the last we see of Jody Brown and her impact on a game. I'd just like to see a few more minutes of her.
I know I harp on this, but I'd love to see more of Heather Payne. She just looks so comfortable on the ball. She would absolutely start on most ACC teams and be a star.
What are your thoughts on Cristina Roque after her first few games?

She plays with focus and confidence and the results have been great but I don't have a good read on her technique or skill set just yet.

Back when Cassie Miller was in goal the defense would routinely rotate the ball back for her to redistribute or boom it with accuracy downfield. That practice diminished with Cassie's successors, I've wondered if that reflects a change in tactics or the personnel at the moment (including Dagney who would vacuum up 50-50 balls so well). Maybe we'll see more of that as Cristina develops

The more I watch soccer the more interesting it gets!

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I think Roque has good athleticism. She is a little undersized for a goalie.
She has a good throw initiating movement forward.
Her goal kicks are average.
What drives me crazy is that she is too cautious in coming out to get a variety of balls (long balls driven into our box: Corners kicks inside the 6 and crosses inside the six). I think the coach (Bristol) probably has her being conservative. I believe it will come back to haunt us later on.
If she becomes more aggressive (intelligently so) on balls in the box, she will be one of our better GKers.

Yes. Soccer can be addictive.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Next Wednesday is National Signing day. Our commitment per TDS are:
Sierra Curtis M/G
Taya Hjorth D
Amelia Horton F
Mia Justus GK
Megan Morgan F
Alyssa Stadeker D
Stadeker, Horton and Justus are 4 stars.
Does anyone here know if Mark is bringing in any additional foreign players?

I doubt any internationals come in, we got Jody last year so we are set for a couple years I think. As far as the players you listed, I think on paper it is one of the best classes we have ever landed. Ive read a lot of good things on all of them, especially Horton and Stadeker.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I’m pretty sure you’re right because that’s a large class and not many are leaving if they’re just leaving as seniors.

Reactions: Crazyhorse20

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
I’m pretty sure you’re right because that’s a large class and not many are leaving if they’re just leaving as seniors.

I do not see any of the seniors returning. All of them will be graduates, I think, and womens soccer doesn't pay well. Why not turn pro when you can so to at least enjoy a couple years of pro ball before you may have to enter the real world.

Reactions: NoleJag

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Speaking simply from a $ perspective let me take a stab at why they would come back.
*I have no clue as to whether or not any of these players feel or think this way.*
Soccer doesn't pay that well! True.
Why not get an extra year of education partially subsidized?
That may be a Master's degree which will ultimately pay much better than soccer.
It allows you another year to develop in competitive circumstances under the tutelage of
one of the best soccer coaches in the US.

Like I said, I don't have a clue as to whether Mark is encouraging them to return, or if they
return. Heck I'm just hoping they all return for the spring.
Prince indicated the coaching staff is expecting Gabby here in the spring, but there was no decision
at the time of his article about MB or Kmac.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Man, the Noles were burnt on that long entry pass. That's twice ND exploited the right side with a fast counter. Fortunately to no avail.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Glad to see Payne get some serious run. She didn't get the ball very often, but when she did, she was precise and dangerous.
Hope Lynch is OK. Did anyone see her on the sideline, or was she left home?
Dang, I have never been overly impressed with Flynn, but she's growing on me. She's not overly athletic, but she has a motor. When she's out there, she's going 100 mph. She reads the game pretty well. Highish soccer IQ IMO.
The same can be said for Zipay, but Zipay is a little better athlete IMO.
I love Robbins. Hope she's back next year.
Jaelin Howell is the best HMFer we've ever had. I expect her to have a long run with the USWNT.
Jody Brown makes everyone around her more dangerous, because the other team is hyperaware of where she is opening a few holes that otherwise would not be there.
The game against Duke should be a doozy.
Hope to watch UNC and UVA. That should be a good one. I've giving UND the edge simply because UVA has been horrible at defending corner kicks and UNC always gets lots of them.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
This is bad but I when I look at Duke's Sofie Jones I think Pauly Shore.

rs-181044-119961268.jpg