2020/21 Women's Soccer

squiffynole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Even Bogren got some run at the end. Awesome!
Let's say FSU wins the ACC title on Sunday and the spring season/NCAA tournament ends up cancelled, would that mean a national championship for the Noles?

Afterall, NC is currently ranked 1st, FSU 2nd, 3rd place TCC has a tie, everyone else has losses. So if we are so fortunate to win FSU would be the only undefeated team. (btw I see NC just took a 1 - 0 lead over VA)

Plus it would be well deserved good karma from the way men's basketball lost its shot last spring.

Reactions: NoleFreak85

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Let's say FSU wins the ACC title on Sunday and the spring season/NCAA tournament ends up cancelled, would that mean a national championship for the Noles?

Afterall, NC is currently ranked 1st, FSU 2nd, 3rd place TCC has a tie, everyone else has losses. So if we are so fortunate to win FSU would be the only undefeated team. (btw I see NC just took a 1 - 0 lead over VA)

Plus it would be well deserved good karma from the way men's basketball lost its shot last spring.

Wow, Noles with the big win! BTW, does anybody realize the TCU tie in to FSU soccer?https://gofrogs.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/coaches/eric-bell/789
Coach Eric is a good one...

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
So happy to see Eric doing well. The coach at Penn State won a national championship and she was an assistant under Krikorian if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: billanole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
So I finally got to watch the game.
A few thoughts.
1. Duke came out with extremely high energy, a new formation and had a few really good chances in the first half.
2. Despite making second team all ACC, I did not know what kind of goalkeeper Roque was. I now have my answer, and it is that she is a very good one especially for a freshman.
3. This is not news, but our center backs Madril and Berkeley are studs.
4. Mark absolutely must love Flynn. She plays a lot and he takes time to talk to her and educate her. She is growing on me. She is 100% effort player. She will never be one who will push for national team, But will end up being an excellent player for FSU for four years.
5. My favorite player who gets very little play had another good one last night. Heather Payne made a nice pass to Jenna Nighswonger for a picture perfect goal during the run of play.
6. In the department of redundancy department Jody Brown is very disruptive to other teams. Play her 1 v 1 and she will burn you. Give her too much attention and we have about six other players who will benefit. Don’t understand why she doesn’t play a few more minutes.
7. Last year we were very dependent upon Castellanos. This year there’s no one player you can take away and stop our offense, because there are so many options.
8. I like our chances to beat North Carolina, but as always it will be who finishes their chances. I am impressed with how Anson has turned North Carolina into a team who is very comfortable on the ball with possession and with subtlety as well as with Superior athleticism.

Reactions: fsufool

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Speaking simply from a $ perspective let me take a stab at why they would come back.
*I have no clue as to whether or not any of these players feel or think this way.*
Soccer doesn't pay that well! True.
Why not get an extra year of education partially subsidized?
That may be a Master's degree which will ultimately pay much better than soccer.
It allows you another year to develop in competitive circumstances under the tutelage of
one of the best soccer coaches in the US.

Like I said, I don't have a clue as to whether Mark is encouraging them to return, or if they
return. Heck I'm just hoping they all return for the spring.
Prince indicated the coaching staff is expecting Gabby here in the spring, but there was no decision
at the time of his article about MB or Kmac.

I will add another one......continue to play with a group of girls you care for and a team you love. Especially if you don't have a chance at a big contract at the next level.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Deyna came back for a practical reason, she concluded another year of college and completing her degree would have more value than a year in Europe's professional ranks. But it's a personal calculation based on many things.

More importantly, what will North Carolina bring today? Statistically FSU has scored almost a goal more per game than the Tarheels in the abbreviated season but their defense is slightly better numerically.

I expect the normal North Carolina style of aggressive offense, waves of substitutes and a high degree of physicality. I suppose they might go to school on what Duke was able to do with their forward pressure and try to keep the Noles on their heels. They might emphasize the right side and try to get behind Gabby Carle.

On our side I'm feeling really good about Cristina Roque's stellar performance in goal against Duke.

Looks like rain is pushing in toward Cary. Finger's crossed!

Reactions: Noles61

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Deyna came back for a practical reason, she concluded another year of college and completing her degree would have more value than a year in Europe's professional ranks. But it's a personal calculation based on many things.

More importantly, what will North Carolina bring today? Statistically FSU has scored almost a goal more per game than the Tarheels in the abbreviated season but their defense is slightly better numerically.

I expect the normal North Carolina style of aggressive offense, waves of substitutes and a high degree of physicality. I suppose they might go to school on what Duke was able to do with their forward pressure and try to keep the Noles on their heels. They might emphasize the right side and try to get behind Gabby Carle.

On our side I'm feeling really good about Cristina Roque's stellar performance in goal against Duke.

Looks like rain is pushing in toward Cary. Finger's crossed!

I think you are right with UNCheats copying what Duke tried, but with better players. However, the interesting thing to watch is if we just keep on doing what we do, or we switch things up in response? This is our most complete team. We bring players into the game half way through the 1st half that are All-ACC players., maybe even All-American. We are dangerous all over the field and even score frequently on corner kicks, something that is new for us. Brown is maybe the most dangerous weapon in the conference at this point. Defensively we are great on the ball, along with playing well together. I still would like to have a more experienced goalie, she will be great, but still plays a little passive (she is a freshman!).

Reactions: squiffynole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Good takes Squiffy.
We have not faced anyone quite as good defensively or quite as athletic. They on the other hand, have not faced anyone with this many offensive weapons and as good with the ball as FSU is.
I’ll give FSU a 60% chance of winning this game.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
fsufool
Did you not see what Mark Krikorian said about Roque?
“She is getting better and better and better and honestly we knew she was a talent but she has really grown through the course of the season,” said Krikorian on Roque. “She has found a physical part of her game that I was not sure she had coming into the team. There is no one that is going to doubt her with the ball and her technical quality, it is really really good. She is now turning into a competitor which is turning her into a more well-rounded player. She had a very good game and was very competitive and helped us possess the ball.”
Mark does not throw out such effusive praise very often. If that does not make you feel more confident about Roque, I don’t know what will :)

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
fsufool
Did you not see what Mark Krikorian said about Roque?
“She is getting better and better and better and honestly we knew she was a talent but she has really grown through the course of the season,” said Krikorian on Roque. “She has found a physical part of her game that I was not sure she had coming into the team. There is no one that is going to doubt her with the ball and her technical quality, it is really really good. She is now turning into a competitor which is turning her into a more well-rounded player. She had a very good game and was very competitive and helped us possess the ball.”
Mark does not throw out such effusive praise very often. If that does not make you feel more confident about Roque, I don’t know what will :)

I did not see that quote. Thanks for that. My only concern for this team is who we lose for the spring and the NCAA champs.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
NC's Dicky has an extra 10 yards on her goal kicks. The heels are turning up the heat, be nice to blunt the push and get to the half unblemished.

seminoleed

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Dacula, GA
I pay little to no attention to women's soccer at any level, but decided to take a break from The Masters and see how we were doing. Well, based on what I saw, we were doing, um....fantastically well. Those of you in the know can tell me if that kind of dominance is normal for this team??