2020/21 Women's Soccer

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Are there rules in college soccer on when players can leave (for the pros or their national team)? Who are the possible departures from FSU (whether in the Spring or after the NCAA Championship)? With Covid potentially adding another year to everyone's eligibility, do we still possibly lose Robbins, Carle, Berkely, McFarland and anyone else we have to worry about?

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
PS - I am for everyone returning for another year. I love watching this team play and represent FSU so well.
Another year of Malia Berkely would be sweet!

* ACC All-Tournament Team (2020)
* ACC Defensive Player of the Year (2020)
* All-ACC First Team (2020)
* Preseason All-ACC Team (2020)
* TopDrawerSoccer Best XI Third Team (2019)
* United Soccer Coaches All-American First Team (2019)
* United Soccer Coaches All-Atlantic Region First Team (2019)
* All-ACC First Team (2019)
* MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist (2019)
* ACC Defensive Player of the Year (2019)
* NCAA National Champion (2018)
* College Cup All-Tournament Team (2018)
* All-ACC Third Team (2018)
* ACC All-Freshman Team (2016)
* TopDrawerSoccer Best XI Freshman Second Team (2016)

17-Malia-Berkely-scaled.jpg

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
UNC has lost 75 games in the history of their program. FSU has beaten them for 11 of those losses.

In the last 16 meetings with UNC, FSU is 9-5-2.

No other program has beaten them more than 5 times.
We are their Kryptonite!
We may add another W in the spring hopefully.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I definitely did not see Bollinger post game, and I don't think I saw Abby Newton . . . any idea where they were?

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I definitely did not see Bollinger post game, and I don't think I saw Abby Newton . . . any idea where they were?
Good question, they are not in the post game team photo with the cup. Makes me wonder, if Roque had incurred an injury who would have come in at goal?

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
The fact that we've got another GK coming in next year's class tells me Bollinger's gone. That, and she should be starting most anywhere else but saw 8 (?) minutes this season.

Reactions: ImmortalNole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I feel badly for Newton and Bollinger.
Newton came from LSU last year and started most of the season at WMF.
She gave it her all, but was clearly not good at taking on players 1v1.
Last year, Lynch, Nesbeth and Robbins all played with injuries and were no where near
100%.
Bollinger for sure starts most places.
Newton would start for 80% or more of schools.

Who I really feel badly for is Heather Payne.
She would literally start for 95% of teams out there and be a star.
She is so skilled with the ball. The only reason I can figure she doesn't get more time is that
she isn't as physical and aggressive on defense as Zipay and company.
Zhao, for all of her offensive skill has never been physical. Neither is Nighswonger, but Nighswonger
in particular has been more aggressive defensively this year.
I'm hoping HP can get on the field more in the spring.
Mark really values physicality. I think he builds his teams to be able to withstand UNC type pressure.
I'm convinced that is why Nesbeth starts over Zhao or Nighswonger. We now see that she is
not only physical, strong and aggressive, but very skilled too.

How about that pass from Robbins for that 3rd goal?

NoleFreak85

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2003
N. Virginia
www.fsusoftball.com
I feel badly for Newton and Bollinger.
Newton came from LSU last year and started most of the season at WMF.
She gave it her all, but was clearly not good at taking on players 1v1.
Last year, Lynch, Nesbeth and Robbins all played with injuries and were no where near
100%.
Bollinger for sure starts most places.
Newton would start for 80% or more of schools.

Who I really feel badly for is Heather Payne.
She would literally start for 95% of teams out there and be a star.
She is so skilled with the ball. The only reason I can figure she doesn't get more time is that
she isn't as physical and aggressive on defense as Zipay and company.
Zhao, for all of her offensive skill has never been physical. Neither is Nighswonger, but Nighswonger
in particular has been more aggressive defensively this year.
I'm hoping HP can get on the field more in the spring.
Mark really values physicality. I think he builds his teams to be able to withstand UNC type pressure.
I'm convinced that is why Nesbeth starts over Zhao or Nighswonger. We now see that she is
not only physical, strong and aggressive, but very skilled too.

How about that pass from Robbins for that 3rd goal?
Do you think Payne's shortened minutes this fall were not only due to the shortened season, but the intl travel/games she had? Not sure of the Ireland spring commitments, but maybe she'll be on campus for more of it.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Do you think Payne's shortened minutes this fall were not only due to the shortened season, but the intl travel/games she had? Not sure of the Ireland spring commitments, but maybe she'll be on campus for more of it.
Possibly, but she is waay more skilled than Flynn, but Flynn is getting serious minutes.
BTW, Flynn is growing on me, because she is 100% petal to the metal all the time.
I just think Mark values physicality and effort, especially on defense. I think the physicality and defense are new
to a lot of these international players.
Why do you think KMac gets more time than Jody Brown? Physicality and defense IMO.
IMO, if Mark had a more physical/speedy option at outside back, Gabby might find herself in trouble.
Nighswonger and Zhao's extraordinary skill keeps their minutes up IMO.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
“Everyone thinks the thing that I’m the most proud of is the fact that we’ve won 22 national championships and a similar number of ACC regular seasons and ACC championships, but it’s not,” Dorrance said. “I think my favorite statistic is for 603 games in a row, we either won it, tied it or lost it by one goal.”

https://www.dailytarheel.com/articl...r-falls-short-in-acc-championship-against-fsu

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I feel bad for North Carolina and other teams whose seniors will not come back in the spring. Prince Akeem Joffer From Tomahawk nation indicated that FSU expects our seniors to be back in the spring. That’s great news! This is pure speculation, but they do have the option to come back for a second senior year per the NCAA. Don’t know if any of them are considering that.
I will be anxious to see what our schedules look like in the spring. Hopefully we get another chance to beat North Carolina. It sure would be nice to add the third star to our girls jerseys in the spring NCAA tournaments. Even if they want to put an asterisk next to it.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I feel bad for North Carolina and other teams whose seniors will not come back in the spring. Prince Akeem Joffer From Tomahawk nation indicated that FSU expects our seniors to be back in the spring. That’s great news! This is pure speculation, but they do have the option to come back for a second senior year per the NCAA. Don’t know if any of them are considering that.
I will be anxious to see what our schedules look like in the spring. Hopefully we get another chance to beat North Carolina. It sure would be nice to add the third star to our girls jerseys in the spring NCAA tournaments. Even if they want to put an asterisk next to it.
Did the Pacific Coast Conference teams not play this fall? Obviously UCLA and Stanford are powerhouse programs, USC is really good too. I'd love to see the Noles match up with our west coast rivals. If the spring season happens I'm guessing it will be mainly non-conference and maybe without long travel distances?

Reactions: NoleFreak85

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Squiffy, looks like PAC12 canceled fall sports and then restarted only what would provide big time tv money. If there is a spring season, I’m sure we will meet at least one of them in the tournament.

Reactions: NoleFreak85

NoleFreak85

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2003
N. Virginia
www.fsusoftball.com
Did the Pacific Coast Conference teams not play this fall? Obviously UCLA and Stanford are powerhouse programs, USC is really good too. I'd love to see the Noles match up with our west coast rivals. If the spring season happens I'm guessing it will be mainly non-conference and maybe without long travel distances?
NO they didn't.

I'd have to think that the spring season will be either conference-only or region only and then maybe meet the west coasters in the cup.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Because of Covid and hindered athletic department budgets, I would suspect the spring will be regional games only. I could be wrong. I agree with Freak about only seeing Them in the NCAA tournament if there is one.
Just a guess but I believe spring will include a few ACC games and games against people like UCF, USF, Florida, South Alabama etc.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Which reminds me, the gators are 2-7-1 terrible! I wonder what is going on? Their coach Becky Burleigh has been there 25-years with a lot of success until a big drop off the last two or three years.

Even worse off, Miami is 0 - 9 under second year coach Sarah Barnes.

It seems like success in women's soccer is more coach-driven than other sports. It was a gift from above when Mark Krikorian arrived in 2005.

e9A0UDi.jpg

DoubleNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Did anyone catch UNC coach’s comment after halftime that 60% of FSU’s 70% time of possession was from balls sent 70 yards in the air? Maybe I’m being over sensitive, but that sounded like he was minimizing the tremendous skill of our girls who kept his team running around in circles. I wasn’t impressed with him saying that.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Which reminds me, the gators are 2-7-1 terrible! I wonder what is going on? Their coach Becky Burleigh has been there 25-years with a lot of success until a big drop off the last two or three years.

Even worse off, Miami is 0 - 9 under second year coach Sarah Barnes.

It seems like success in women's soccer is more coach-driven than other sports. It was a gift from above when Mark Krikorian arrived in 2005.

e9A0UDi.jpg
The dude is awesome in person. He is quite direct and to the point, but is personable as well. Just a good guy... Thanks for that, Mark K.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
22 nattys for UNC women's soccer. That justifies any arrogance you may perceive. UF 1 soccer natty and currently circling the toilet hole.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Just picked up this tidbit about one of our 2022 recruits from TDS.
M Heather Gilchrist, Colorado Rapids U17 - Gilchrist was a standout on Sunday in Rapids’ battle against Slammers. She scored a terrific goal as she broke free of the defense and took a touch around the goalkeeper for an easy tap-in. She was outstanding in the attack at winger in the game. She has the skill and speed to influence the game at the next level. Florida State landed a top prospect in the Rapids attacker.

Reactions: Sawyer55

DoubleNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
22 nattys for UNC women's soccer. That justifies any arrogance you may perceive. UF 1 soccer natty and currently circling the toilet hole.

I guess it was arrogance. I just thought it was a super douche comment, especially when we were up 2-0 on the vaunted UNC at halftime.
Our second and third goals involved a ton of skill and both of their goals were pure luck (actually, second goal wasn’t exactly luck when the assistant ref failed to flag clear offsides but still shouldn’t have been a goal).

The duke game was much more competitive than the final 4-0 score indicated but the UNC game was not at all as competitive as the 3-2 score seems to indicate. UNC has history but not so much of it includes recent wins against FSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole and Tom81