2020/21 Women's Soccer

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
In looking at the roster for the USWNT trip to the Netherlands, Casey Short didn't make it.
Alana Cook and Tierna Davidson both recently from Stanford did.
Nothing against Cook, but our CBs are more dynamic offensively than Stanford's are/were.
I'm hoping Berkely gets more looks going forward and that Madril gets a few looks too.
I wouldn't trade either Berkely or Madril for Cook.
Hopefully the USWNT will start looking more frequently at FSU's players.

DoubleNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
I thought I read were Berkeley had a call-up with Howell a few months back but now it’s only Howell. Not sure if that is a bad sign for Berkeley or just a numbers issue.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jaelin just got called up for pre-Netherlands camp. Let's hope she gets her first few minutes and first cap this month!

Reactions: NoleFreak85

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I hope Berkeley gets some more call ups as well. Sometimes the national team will do call ups and if they don’t see what they think they want they never get called again. Other times like Howell, they get further call ups

Reactions: NoleFreak85

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Mark sure was right about this being his most talented team. Heck, one of my favorite players,
Payne didn't even see the pitch in the ACCCG.
There is literally no drop off between the starters and subs, in fact the subs sometimes are better as a group.
Hope we have that chance in the spring to compete for a Natty.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I know after the ACCCG pictures were uploaded there was speculation as to why Bollinger and Newton were not
in them. I just looked on Seminoles.com and Newton is no longer listed on the roster, but Bollinger is.
FYI.

Reactions: ranger43

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I know after the ACCCG pictures were uploaded there was speculation as to why Bollinger and Newton were not
in them. I just looked on Seminoles.com and Newton is no longer listed on the roster, but Bollinger is.
FYI.
Thanks for checking. I wish her the best. Based upon what I saw this year, and the performance of those that started and subbed this year, I can’t argue that coach didn’t play the nest. I can’t imagine we will have three goalkeepers next year with a freshman coming in.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Thank you Tallahassee Democrat.

How Florida State navigated COVID and other challenges to win soccer ACC Championship
Antwan Staley
Tallahassee Democrat

2020 has been a challenging year for everyone. But imagine playing soccer, trying to win an ACC Championship along with focusing on graduation from Florida State.

That's exactly what Clara Robbins had to do this season.

Not only was Robbins and FSU coach Mark Krikorian able to accomplish their goal of going undefeated and winning an ACC Championship, but Robbins will graduate with a GPA of over 4.0 with a degree in Exercise Physiology in December.

Robbins dealt with many challenges as a redshirt junior, but the biggest one was the uncertainty during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I think the main challenge was not knowing what's going to come next," Robbins told the Democrat. "Just knowing that anything can change at any giving moment. So it was important that we took everything day by day, knowing that there were a lot of different possibilities in the future but just preparing for the day itself."

Despite the challenges and the shortened soccer season, Robbins was one of the ACC's best players this season.

This year, Robbins was crowned the ACC Tournament MVP along with being named on the ACC All-Tournament Team and the All-ACC Second Team. While the accomplishments are nice, Robbins was more excited about bringing an ACC Championship to Florida State.

"I feel good about it, but at the end of the day, I'm just happy that we were able to win the tournament and have great team success," Robbins said. "The awards are great, and they make me feel good about my performance throughout the season. But ultimately, it isn't the best thing about this season."

Not only did Robbins have challenges on the field but also off the field as she had to adjust to learning remotely. Because of the pandemic, FSU student-athletes mostly took their classes online this semester.

For most college students, learning remotely is an adjustment because of the lack of in-person interaction. Robbins wasn't any different. But she was able to navigate through learning online with the help of her teachers.

"I think the main challenges were everything in the online format where we were kind of responsible for our own learning," Robbins said. "We really didn't have attendance to keep up with to hold us accountable. Just making sure we were staying organized.
"Fortunately for me and my classes, my teachers did a great job about transitioning us to an online format. They were really accommodating with the different resources that we needed. It wasn't too hard of a transition for me."

Krikorian says this was a season like no other
FSU began preparing for its soccer season in March even though the country had essentially shut down because of COVID. Krikorian and his staff had meetings on Zoom that allowed his team to stay connected.
Fast forward to the beginning of the regular season against Notre Dame. Krikorian wasn't sure if FSU or any of the ACC teams would be able to finish the 2020 season. The Seminoles were able to not only win the ACC Championship, but Krikorian won his seven career ACC Championship in the 16 years.

So can Krikorian compare this season to any other?

"I don't think there was any comparison to any other year," Krikorian said. "It is as simple as the travel and showing up every day and doing all of these COVID tests three or four times a week. And knowing at any moment, I could get the call from the trainer, and this player and this player aren't available.

"The uncertainty of trying to balance that. During a regular year, that call is going to be about an injury. It is going to be a follow up about a player being hit in the head, concussion, how are they progressing. In the beginning, we were on pins and needles. Fortunately, everyone did a good job of managing their way through the season, so we were able to continue in."

While Robbins had to manage her studies along with playing soccer, Krikorian's challenges were a bit different. As a head coach, Krikorian is in charge of a roster with more than 20 players.
Krikorian said his biggest challenge this season was helping all of those players get through all the uncertainty.

"Most of the kids on our team and many of the teams are Type A personalities," Krikorian said. "These kids want to know what's going on, and where they need to be, when they need to be there, and they're going to do it properly. The expression that I used to them in March was flexible thinking and flexibility being a key to success.

"In the end, I think that certainly proved to be true. For those players to be able to still perform at the level that they did with such change in travel, it was quite impressive that our kids were able to perform at the level that they were. And in fairness, their opponents as well."

Even with all the challenges, winning an ACC Championship was sweet for Krikorian. Winning a conference title is always challenging and factor that in with the depth of good teams in the ACC, and then there was COVID.

Krikorian says this championship is a testament to his players and his staff and the FSU and ACC administration for helping it happen.
"The commitment that all of the players and all of the staff members had to do their finest to allow this to occur with significant sacrifices," Krikorian said. "These are college kids, they're used to being social. They're used to going out. For them to decide that playing soccer and making sacrifices for the betterment of the group was interesting for them or more interesting than going out. I think that's a great sacrifice on their part.

"For me, I appreciate it. I think our administrative group here and the ACC as a whole just did a fantastic job in helping to piece all of this together in unprecedented times. Certainly grateful for all of those little victories that we got along the way, knowing that at any moment, life could change or we get shut down, or COVID could come into the team and spread throughout, and all of a sudden, we are not playing."

Thanksgiving will be a bit different for FSU soccer players and Krikorian this year
In a normal year, the FSU soccer team and Krikorian would celebrate Thanksgiving together before getting ready to play in the NCAA Tournament. But this year, because of COVID, Krikorian will just be celebrating with just his wife and their son. Also, the NCAA Tournament has been pushed to the spring.

Robbins will just be celebrating with her family as they will have the traditional Thanksgiving meal with her famous green bean casserole. Krikorian loves Thanksgiving and loves hosting his team, but his family will enjoy a calmer holiday this year.

"For each of the last number of years, we've had the whole team over to the house and 40 people over for Thanksgiving dinner at my house," Krikorian said. "This year, it is going to be like three or four people having dinner at the house. It will be a little bit quieter, a little bit more peaceful and not having to worry about the game after Thanksgiving, which is typically the case."
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...enges-win-soccer-acc-championship/6381832002/

(PS - congratulations to Clara's dad for the 4.0 GPA assuming he is still out there reading this thread without letting his daughter know)

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Thank you Tallahassee Democrat.

How Florida State navigated COVID and other challenges to win soccer ACC Championship
Antwan Staley
Tallahassee Democrat

2020 has been a challenging year for everyone. But imagine playing soccer, trying to win an ACC Championship along with focusing on graduation from Florida State.

That's exactly what Clara Robbins had to do this season.

Not only was Robbins and FSU coach Mark Krikorian able to accomplish their goal of going undefeated and winning an ACC Championship, but Robbins will graduate with a GPA of over 4.0 with a degree in Exercise Physiology in December.

Robbins dealt with many challenges as a redshirt junior, but the biggest one was the uncertainty during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I think the main challenge was not knowing what's going to come next," Robbins told the Democrat. "Just knowing that anything can change at any giving moment. So it was important that we took everything day by day, knowing that there were a lot of different possibilities in the future but just preparing for the day itself."

Despite the challenges and the shortened soccer season, Robbins was one of the ACC's best players this season.

This year, Robbins was crowned the ACC Tournament MVP along with being named on the ACC All-Tournament Team and the All-ACC Second Team. While the accomplishments are nice, Robbins was more excited about bringing an ACC Championship to Florida State.

"I feel good about it, but at the end of the day, I'm just happy that we were able to win the tournament and have great team success," Robbins said. "The awards are great, and they make me feel good about my performance throughout the season. But ultimately, it isn't the best thing about this season."

Not only did Robbins have challenges on the field but also off the field as she had to adjust to learning remotely. Because of the pandemic, FSU student-athletes mostly took their classes online this semester.

For most college students, learning remotely is an adjustment because of the lack of in-person interaction. Robbins wasn't any different. But she was able to navigate through learning online with the help of her teachers.

"I think the main challenges were everything in the online format where we were kind of responsible for our own learning," Robbins said. "We really didn't have attendance to keep up with to hold us accountable. Just making sure we were staying organized.
"Fortunately for me and my classes, my teachers did a great job about transitioning us to an online format. They were really accommodating with the different resources that we needed. It wasn't too hard of a transition for me."

Krikorian says this was a season like no other
FSU began preparing for its soccer season in March even though the country had essentially shut down because of COVID. Krikorian and his staff had meetings on Zoom that allowed his team to stay connected.
Fast forward to the beginning of the regular season against Notre Dame. Krikorian wasn't sure if FSU or any of the ACC teams would be able to finish the 2020 season. The Seminoles were able to not only win the ACC Championship, but Krikorian won his seven career ACC Championship in the 16 years.

So can Krikorian compare this season to any other?

"I don't think there was any comparison to any other year," Krikorian said. "It is as simple as the travel and showing up every day and doing all of these COVID tests three or four times a week. And knowing at any moment, I could get the call from the trainer, and this player and this player aren't available.

"The uncertainty of trying to balance that. During a regular year, that call is going to be about an injury. It is going to be a follow up about a player being hit in the head, concussion, how are they progressing. In the beginning, we were on pins and needles. Fortunately, everyone did a good job of managing their way through the season, so we were able to continue in."

While Robbins had to manage her studies along with playing soccer, Krikorian's challenges were a bit different. As a head coach, Krikorian is in charge of a roster with more than 20 players.
Krikorian said his biggest challenge this season was helping all of those players get through all the uncertainty.

"Most of the kids on our team and many of the teams are Type A personalities," Krikorian said. "These kids want to know what's going on, and where they need to be, when they need to be there, and they're going to do it properly. The expression that I used to them in March was flexible thinking and flexibility being a key to success.

"In the end, I think that certainly proved to be true. For those players to be able to still perform at the level that they did with such change in travel, it was quite impressive that our kids were able to perform at the level that they were. And in fairness, their opponents as well."

Even with all the challenges, winning an ACC Championship was sweet for Krikorian. Winning a conference title is always challenging and factor that in with the depth of good teams in the ACC, and then there was COVID.

Krikorian says this championship is a testament to his players and his staff and the FSU and ACC administration for helping it happen.
"The commitment that all of the players and all of the staff members had to do their finest to allow this to occur with significant sacrifices," Krikorian said. "These are college kids, they're used to being social. They're used to going out. For them to decide that playing soccer and making sacrifices for the betterment of the group was interesting for them or more interesting than going out. I think that's a great sacrifice on their part.

"For me, I appreciate it. I think our administrative group here and the ACC as a whole just did a fantastic job in helping to piece all of this together in unprecedented times. Certainly grateful for all of those little victories that we got along the way, knowing that at any moment, life could change or we get shut down, or COVID could come into the team and spread throughout, and all of a sudden, we are not playing."

Thanksgiving will be a bit different for FSU soccer players and Krikorian this year
In a normal year, the FSU soccer team and Krikorian would celebrate Thanksgiving together before getting ready to play in the NCAA Tournament. But this year, because of COVID, Krikorian will just be celebrating with just his wife and their son. Also, the NCAA Tournament has been pushed to the spring.

Robbins will just be celebrating with her family as they will have the traditional Thanksgiving meal with her famous green bean casserole. Krikorian loves Thanksgiving and loves hosting his team, but his family will enjoy a calmer holiday this year.

"For each of the last number of years, we've had the whole team over to the house and 40 people over for Thanksgiving dinner at my house," Krikorian said. "This year, it is going to be like three or four people having dinner at the house. It will be a little bit quieter, a little bit more peaceful and not having to worry about the game after Thanksgiving, which is typically the case."
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...enges-win-soccer-acc-championship/6381832002/

(PS - congratulations to Clara's dad for the 4.0 GPA assuming he is still out there reading this thread without letting his daughter know)
I can’t imagine how challenging this was to pull off, but kudos to the Seminoles and other teams for making it happen. Following this crew was such a bright spot in an uncertain time. Well done and congrats to all involved!

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Very nice article. Thanks Squiffy.
Anxious to find out about our spring schedule. It should be interesting.
If I had to guess, I'd say some regional games with USF, UF, UCF, USA and maybe some other SEC games like Vandy, Alabama or Georgia. Maybe we can throw in a couple of ACC games, UVA and UNC please.

Reactions: squiffynole

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'll surprised if she gets on the pitch, but Jaelin Howell is in Holland for USWNT's friendly today. ESPN2 at 12:30, for those who enjoy sports with their lunch.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I too will be surprised if she gets on the pitch, but we'll see.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I too will be surprised if she gets on the pitch, but we'll see.
Tom, you’re our resident expert so I have a question for you. A couple former Noles have gotten to USWNT camps, and Casey Short has played quite a few friendly matches. But do you know of any of them who had tryouts, let alone made the team, while still at FSU? I’m thinking Jaelin is our first.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Not an expert, but an avid follower.
As I get older my memory of when things happened gets worse.
India Trotter got a brief stint with the NT, but I think it was shortly after she graduated.

Reactions: daveynole

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Jaelin Howell enters the game in the 88th minute, earns a few minutes of PT! USA National Team takes it 2 - 0.

Two players on Friday’s game day roster are uncapped – 20-year-old Sophia Smith and 21-year-old Jaelin Howell. If either Howell or Smith gets in the match, they would become the first player(s) born after the 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup to earn a USWNT cap.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...s-preview-schedule-tv-channels-and-start-time

Reactions: Seaker42

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Instat soccer video analysis highlighted 3 college women who had great Novembers.
Guess who made their list?

Wrong! It wasn't Jaelin, even though I'm sure she was worthy of it.
College

Clara Robbins, Florida State: A match-winner for the Seminoles down the stretch, Robbins was credited with an assist to go with her two goals in the ACC tournament final win against North Carolina. That was certainly the high point of her four matches in the month, although she had either a goal or assist in each. In the final against the Tar Heels, she won 73% of her challenges, made six interceptions and completed 76% of her passes.

She didn't participate in Senior day activities, so I'm assuming (hoping) that she is coming back next year.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Instat soccer video analysis highlighted 3 college women who had great Novembers.
Guess who made their list?

Wrong! It wasn't Jaelin, even though I'm sure she was worthy of it.
College

Clara Robbins, Florida State: A match-winner for the Seminoles down the stretch, Robbins was credited with an assist to go with her two goals in the ACC tournament final win against North Carolina. That was certainly the high point of her four matches in the month, although she had either a goal or assist in each. In the final against the Tar Heels, she won 73% of her challenges, made six interceptions and completed 76% of her passes.

She didn't participate in Senior day activities, so I'm assuming (hoping) that she is coming back next year.
So, who did participate in Senior Day activities and do you believe those players won’t be back next season?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Kmac, MB and GC. I have no inside info. I believe we have been told FSU expects these players to participate in the spring for a hopeful NCAAT, but I would be surprised if any of these 3 come back next fall.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
For those who may not know, that is Jaelin Howell and Sophia Smith. They met in kindergarten.
I know Mark was recruiting SS hard too, before she chose Stanford.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
I read a few weeks back that Casey Short was injured. I am not sure of she still is.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
For those who may not know, that is Jaelin Howell and Sophia Smith. They met in kindergarten.
I know Mark was recruiting SS hard too, before she chose Stanford.

How do you know Fsu was after Smith hard? I rarely get any insight until a player commits.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
How do you know Fsu was after Smith hard? I rarely get any insight until a player commits.
There is precious little out there re: who is being recruited by whom and who is in the top 3 etc.
I don't remember where (TDS?), but I found an article about FSU being in the final 3 (I believe) for the Real Colorado team mates. Eventually JH chose us and SS chose Stanford. This was probably in the fall of 17.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Blast from the past!

Natalia%20Finland%201.jpg

Natalia Kuikka
Portland Thorns FC
Defender
HT: 5' 6"
Hometown: Kemi, Finland

Following a standout collegiate career at Florida State from 2015-18, Natalia Kuikka, 24, signed with Damallsvenskan side Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC of the Swedish first division. Across all-competitions with Göteborg FC, Kuikka has appeared in 45 matches, tallying six goals. This season, Göteborg FC currently sits atop the Damallsvenskan standings and Kuikka has played in all 19 matches, scoring four goals. In 2019, she helped Göteborg FC finish runner-up in the league, appearing in 19 matches.

At the international level, Kuikka has earned 52 international caps, tallying three goals with the Finland Women’s National Team and was named the Finland Women’s Player of the Year in 2017. She featured at the 2013 UEFA Women’s Championship, playing in all three matches of the group stage and also played in the 2014 U-20 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

At Florida State, Kuikka appeared in 79 matches (78 starts), recording nine goals and 11 assists. During her season senior in 2018, Kuikka helped guide the Seminoles to a National Championship and was named to the College Cup All-Tournament Team, while also earning United Soccer Coaches All-American Second Team honors, All-Atlantic Region First Team accolades and All-ACC Second Team recognition. In four seasons, Kuikka earned All-American honors twice (2016, 2018), was named All-ACC three times (2016, 2017, 2018) and garnered All-Region accolades three times (2016, 2017, 2018).

DisneyDave

Contributor
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2007
Could one of our lady soccer players kick extra points or kickoffs for the football team? I’m sure they could kick a 33 yarder...

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm wondering when FSU soccer and softball will announce their spring schedules.
Anyone have any insight?
Also curious if Duke will let their soccer girls play considering they just opted out of women's bball.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm wondering when FSU soccer and softball will announce their spring schedules.
Anyone have any insight?
Also curious if Duke will let their soccer girls play considering they just opted out of women's bball.
It's my understanding that the Duke WBB players voted to stop play for the year. . . perhaps the women's soccer team will have the same opportunity?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Needing an FSU soccer fix, I went back and watched our 2018 CC games. When we had corners, we didn't fill the box with 5 girls like we do this year. We had 1 right in front of the GK and 3 or 4 all outside the six ready to crash as needed.
I like how Mark is doing it this year. We have 5 in the box and 2 or 3 more a little inside the 18 I believe.
Wonder what prompted the change.
I'm glad he did it.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Needing an FSU soccer fix, I went back and watched our 2018 CC games. When we had corners, we didn't fill the box with 5 girls like we do this year. We had 1 right in front of the GK and 3 or 4 all outside the six ready to crash as needed.
I like how Mark is doing it this year. We have 5 in the box and 2 or 3 more a little inside the 18 I believe.
Wonder what prompted the change.
I'm glad he did it.
Very interesting, I'm guessing part of it is gearing the attack to stronger, taller personnel.

They had major trouble defending the corner kick last year, corner kick play must have been a major emphasis going into this season.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
IMO, the biggest single difference between last year and this year has been health.
Having Emily Madril in CB along with Malia has solidified our defense tremendously.
No offense to Heather, but she is not a CB and our defense last year suffered. I do love
Heather in an attacking role. I'm just disappointed I haven't seen more of her.
Having Kristina, Clara and LeiLani healthy makes a huge difference.
We have the deepest team ever at FSU.
Can't wait for the spring season. Hope Jaelin is with us. The USWNT is currently taking a 3rd look at her, which indicates in my mind that she is in their future. Selfishly, I just hope that future doesn't start until after this coming Christmas so that she can play in her senior season and hopefully lead us to 2 straight nattys.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I just read on the Bigsoccer.com forum that Malia is off to France to play pro ball.
He/she did not provide a link, so I was just wondering if anyone here knew of anything?