2021-22 Women's Basketball

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Morgan Jones has decided to transfer elsewhere for her last year of eligibility.

Will be weird seeing her in anything other than an FSU uniform.

No update on the new coach and players starting to enter the portal. Not feeling to good about things now.
Do you read from that Brooke will not be the new coach?

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
I wouldn’t be upset with a outside coach coming in if this team didn’t have any talent left on the roster. If we lose Brooke, you can almost guarantee that we lose Gordon, Timpson, Puisis and Latson as Brooke played a huge part in them choosing FSU.

Getting a new coach puts us in a complete rebuild mode and basically starting from scratch. Keeping Brooke, we get to see what she can do with the young talent on the roster and coaching a full non-covid season. While last year wasn’t great, Brooke did beat #3 Louisville, UF, and her old colleague Lance White.

squiffynole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I'd be pleased if Myers moved on. Weber and maybe Bedjedi too. Nothing against them as individuals I just think it's be healthy to refresh the personality mix. Sue would not push someone along, her successor might look at it differently.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Only problem with Berube is that she's a UCONN alumna. We'd be sweating bullets once Geno Auriemma retires.

Of course there's Karl Smesko down the highway at FGCU.
I could care less about the potential for sweating bullets down the road.
If she wins enough here to be a serious candidate to replace Auriemma, then good on us.
We would be a destination coaching job if that were the case!

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Louisville, VT, Baylor, Arizona all after Morgan Jones. I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up at Louisville. Walz gets an impact transfer every year and was very high on Morgan after she scored 28 against them this season. They were in her top 10 out of HS too.

Gonna seem strange playing against her next season.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
I'd be pleased if Myers moved on. Weber and maybe Bedjedi too. Nothing against them as individuals I just think it's be healthy to refresh the personality mix. Sue would not push someone along, her successor might look at it differently.
If Weber can revert to her Junior season play then I would gladly welcome her back for her last season. I know she had some sort of injury this season but something else seemed to be going on with her.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Bejedi transferred, not sure she wants to backup OMG the next couple seasons. With Semrau gone, I would be surprised if Myers came back.

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Kourtney Weber entered the portal.

Still no coaching announcement 🤦🏾‍♂️
I've never understood - her first two years Kourtney couldn't make a shot, year three she broke out and did really well, this year her game reverted and her playing time went down to nothing. I don't know maybe she was playing hurt or perhaps she did not invest herself into self improvement enough a transfer is best for both parties good luck to her.

Reactions: semispear

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
A random unlikely thought…Maybe Cori Close is the new coach and they are waiting until her team finishes the WNIT to announce it lol

Reactions: NoleLizards

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
3rd transfer announced - Nicoletti. I will always wonder what type of career she could of had if she didn’t suffer back to back ACL injuries. Wish her luck and good health going forward.

nole2soul

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2006
Sebastian, FL
3rd transfer announced - Nicoletti. I will always wonder what type of career she could of had if she didn’t suffer back to back ACL injuries. Wish her luck and good health going forward.
@semispear ...I been around awhile. FSU 1981 Grad and follow all of our teams. I am sure you have an opinion, what would you like to see happen? I am sure Alford is tuned in.

Lanoles

Nov 6, 2001
Would really like to see the WBB get at coach with some fire in her belly, the quiet type is great when thiings are going great but when you start shooting 10% or have several minutes of not scoring, the coach needs to be able to have a 'come to Jesus' coaching moment.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
It’s been a week since Sue announced retirement. No decision announced yet.

I still think if it was Brooke, they would have announced it by now which makes me think the next coach is possibly still coaching in the post season. I don’t see any of the remaining coaches in the NCAA tourney leaving their current schools which leaves the WNIT which Cori Close’s team is still competing in.

FWIW, the three remaining coaches hosted some recruits this past weekend on campus.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
FSU football player Micah Pittman’s girlfriend is transferring from Oregon. Maddie was a top 20 recruit in the 2020 class. She is currently in Tallahassee visiting with him. Some think this is a possible landing spot for her.

Could be a solid addition on the wing with the departures of Jones, Weber, Nicoletti. Known for defense and she hit 55 3’s last season.

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
FSU football player Micah Pittman’s girlfriend is transferring from Oregon. Maddie was a top 20 recruit in the 2020 class. She is currently in Tallahassee visiting with him. Some think this is a possible landing spot for her.

Could be a solid addition on the wing with the departures of Jones, Weber, Nicoletti. Known for defense and she hit 55 3’s last season.
No offense, but how are we getting transfers while in coaching limbo?

Reactions: squiffynole

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
4th Seminole has entered the portal. Amaya announced that she will use her grad transfer year at another school.

I still think there will be one or two more leaving but we will see.

There is a ton of talent in the portal. Will be interested in seeing who Brooke can bring in. I have a couple in mind who I would like us to target.

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Can someone please explain why exactly it took this long to promote from in-house??
This is the real question lol. Was there an actual search done? Did they consider anyone else? There really is no reason that it took 8 days to announce this. Maybe it was contract/salary issues?

Reactions: NoleLizards

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm not happy.
Here is my letter to the AD with CC to the Univ Pres.

It was announced today that Brooke Wyckoff was hired as our head women's BBall coach.
I'm sure Brooke is a good and honorable person and I do not wish to cast aspersions on her character.
That being said, she had a year long audition last year and went a very uninspired 10-9. Furthermore, the team did not get better.
It was only 7 years ago we went to the Elite 8 and barely lost there.
Even under Sue we have since been in a steady decline.
Now we hand over the reins to a coach who has participated in that decline, who had an almost unheard of year long audition that DID NOT IMPRESS!

What a cowardly and incompetent job you did with this hire. Maybe she will prove me wrong. As a Nole fan, I sure hope so!
That said, I sure am glad that when softball and soccer needed new coaches they didn't take the easy way out. Both of those programs were more successful than our current bball program, but thankfully they didn't just hire an assistant from one of those teams. Instead they looked for the best coach available.
Years later, soccer is the premier program in the nation. Softball is a program that is among the very best programs out there!
If we had more seating available, both of those programs could come close to paying for themselves, instead of being a huge draw on our budgets.
Women's basketball, if they were nationally a consistent top 10 team could draw 6,000+ and come close to making money.
Alas, you chose the easy way and 3 to 5 years from now, you will have to fire this fine woman.
Why didn't you learn from our 2 most successful programs?

After sending the letter, I learn of Mark Krikorian's departure and I am devastated!
The best program at this university cannot replace Coach K with anyone comparable!

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
This is the real question lol. Was there an actual search done? Did they consider anyone else? There really is no reason that it took 8 days to announce this. Maybe it was contract/salary issues?
If I were in her shoes (and by that I don't literally mean six inch high heels) I'd push for a longer contract and an understanding about future financial resources for the program.

On my end I'm going positive and planning on success.

Noles61

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm not happy.
Here is my letter to the AD with CC to the Univ Pres.

It was announced today that Brooke Wyckoff was hired as our head women's BBall coach.
I'm sure Brooke is a good and honorable person and I do not wish to cast aspersions on her character.
That being said, she had a year long audition last year and went a very uninspired 10-9. Furthermore, the team did not get better.
It was only 7 years ago we went to the Elite 8 and barely lost there.
Even under Sue we have since been in a steady decline.
Now we hand over the reins to a coach who has participated in that decline, who had an almost unheard of year long audition that DID NOT IMPRESS!

What a cowardly and incompetent job you did with this hire. Maybe she will prove me wrong. As a Nole fan, I sure hope so!
That said, I sure am glad that when softball and soccer needed new coaches they didn't take the easy way out. Both of those programs were more successful than our current bball program, but thankfully they didn't just hire an assistant from one of those teams. Instead they looked for the best coach available.
Years later, soccer is the premier program in the nation. Softball is a program that is among the very best programs out there!
If we had more seating available, both of those programs could come close to paying for themselves, instead of being a huge draw on our budgets.
Women's basketball, if they were nationally a consistent top 10 team could draw 6,000+ and come close to making money.
Alas, you chose the easy way and 3 to 5 years from now, you will have to fire this fine woman.
Why didn't you learn from our 2 most successful programs?

After sending the letter, I learn of Mark Krikorian's departure and I am devastated!
The best program at this university cannot replace Coach K with anyone comparable!

And now Coach K is gone.

Hiring Brooke was a cheap and easy move....just like Meat. I hope both prove to be great hires. But what I really think is that FSU seems to be unwilling to actually hire the best person possible and pay them accordingly.

Makes me wonder if Coacha is next after the season is over.

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
And now Coach K is gone.

Hiring Brooke was a cheap and easy move....just like Meat. I hope both prove to be great hires. But what I really think is that FSU seems to be unwilling to actually hire the best person possible and pay them accordingly.
Is it unwilling or financially unable?? 😕

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Considering that we were unlikely to make a “splash” hire, I’m willing to give her a shot. It’s kind of hard to base her abilities off of last years performance. It was announced let’s than two months before the season that she would take over as interim coach, The team had all of their non-conference games cancelled except for UF, they didn’t have any depth or a PG on top of other unfortunate circumstances. Just a rough year all around especially after losing the top three scorers the prior season.

With all that they still finished 4th in the conference and made the tourney. Let’s see what she can do now that she has full control of the program and a full off season to make her changes.

As we mentioned before, this team has young talent to build around. Gordon and Timpson had solid freshman campaigns and should take a leap forward next season. Latson is coming in as the best guard in the country and is a beast defensively (which we need). Puisis, Howard, Valenzuela are solid role players.

I hope Jackson decides to comes back. She can be a go to scorer/shooter for us when fully healthy. I think with the other seniors leaving, she could have a bigger role if she stays. If nothing else, she brings experience that this young team will need.

With an open assistant coaching spot, I hope she brings in a strong coach to make up in the areas that she may be lacking.

Last edited:

Lanoles

Nov 6, 2001
The biggest hiring mistakes made is NOT hiring the wrong person, but rather is NOT hiring the right person, even when you interview them.

Biggest difference between Baseball, WBB, and Soccer, it was immediately announced that a National search will ne done for a Soccer Coach.

Things that make one go hmmmmmm.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
WELCOME NEW HEAD COACH
BROOKE WYCKOFF
Join us tomorrow, Wednesday, March 30 as we officially introduce Brooke Wyckoff as our new Head Coach. There will be a press conference starting at approximately 9:30am that will be open to the public in the Dunlap Champions Club located in Doak Campbell Stadium. If you can't join us in person, you can stream the press conference on the FSU Women's Basketball's Facebook and Twitter pages. Immediately following the press conference, there will be a meet and greet to celebrate our new head coach! Read More about Coach Brooke here.

Reactions: Noles61

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Latson looked great in tonight’s MCDAA game. Had 15 points & 3 rebounds as her team won. Will have an immediate impact next season. Her defensive pressure reminds me of Brittany Brown.