2021 Women's Softball National Championship runner up - Congrats on an Outstanding Season

rulli4fsu

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2003
Wesley Chapel, FL
Sorry if this question has been asked but any possibility of getting 1 or 2 seniors back next season? They got a RS year last year from Covid so I’m just curious if anyone has heard anything about it. Thanks! Congratulations Lady Noles on one helluva run! Proud of them!

Reactions: NoleLizards
May 29, 2021
They made the best team in college softball and their fans sweat big time and on the verge of a meltdown through the first 12 innings of the finals. I'm off to Detroit. You peeps have a great rest of your week.

runningnole

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2003
We finished #2 in the nation! I’ll take it! Many thanks to the team, the coaches, the support staff, everyone involved including all you softball lovers and posters. It was a magical ride and I am grateful to have been along! Go NOLES!

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002
So, this wonderful journey ends. Not an end really, a beginning. A beginning of A magical run right back to this palace of dreams for this team. You will be back.

This has been a ride that we have all been lucky to take. The highs, the lows, the ups and the downs that this team has provided all of us, any man or woman would buy a ticket to take. The thrills have been incredible, the disappointments hard to bear, but through it all these girls did themselves proud. They set a standard of conduct and competivness that all sports teams representing FSU should copy. All the while, having the time of their lives.

So I say, thanks from all of us to a great bunch of ladies, you will never be forgotten. Good luck in life to those that won't be back, and to those that will...LET'S GO NOLES.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I will take my swing at a “too early” prediction.

First, let me say that this prediction is for mid-season starters because we know Coacha is very loyal and I expect Muffley and LoPreste to be game one starters, along with Mudge, Kerr and Wacaser in the outfield, Flaherty and Syd at their normal spots, Harding at first (assuming she hasn’t moved to catcher yet), and Culp at DH (assuming her back has recovered). By the end of the season, I expect Blankenship to be at ss, and Harding behind the plate.

To not just make the CWS, but be a serious contender to win it, Coacha needs to bring in a graduate transfer pitcher (like in 2018) to with Kat.

The final piece is coaching - TCam has to improve his base calls (if he stays there), and his offensive instruction.

I believe the days are gone in the ACC where FSU is automatically penciled in as the projected winner of the ACC. Clemson and Duke have made progress in a short period of time and the Hokies were a young team this year and return their ace pitcher. Coacha will earn her money for sure.
I don’t want to miss out on enjoying what these current ladies did - just a phenomenal run this last month that came out of nowhere.

However as I watched over the last month, I came up with a slightly different lineup than earlier and wanted to toss it out there. Assuming our incoming shortstop is as good as advertised, I am starting her at shortstop, moving Muffley to second, Flaherty to first, SS still at third and Harding behind the plate. Mudge, Kerr and Wacaser in the outfield and I’m just hoping Culp is back and can DP. I still need a graduate transfer pitcher to match up with Kat (as Meghan had in 2018). That’s a very exciting lineup if you ask me.

Reactions: squiffynole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Not a bad lineup, but I let Muffley sub in off the bench as needed.
She's 200 hitter. We need meat in our lineup.
Having Shelnutt and Muffley at the bottom of our lineup really hurt us.
Hitting lineup
Mudge LF
Sherrill 3B
Harding 1B
Culp DP
Kerr CF
Flaherty 2B
Edenfield C
Wacaser RF
Blankenship SS

I'm looking for ABs for Belviy, LoPreste, Saabye, Riggs and Landers and some unknown freshman.
If one of the following 2 things happen, we may be back in the WCWS better equipped to win.
1 Emma Wilson turns into a young Jessica Burroughs. Lonni or others have alluded to that.
2 We get a transfer as good or better than a Kylee Jo Hanson at pitcher.
A one two punch like that and look out.
I'm guessing Lonni is second guessing herself about not starting KS today. 3.1 innings 1 hit and 0 runs.

Lanoles

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Don't think Coacha will be able to not have Muffley somewhere on the field.

Need a shut down pitcher to come in and get 6 outs. OK teams you can have complete games, but after 2 times thru the order good hitting teams will adjust. Late innings you cannot have walks or hit batters.

Need someone off the bench that can put a bunt down. If they cannot break the starting lineup then get them working on the bunts and hits to the right side of the infield. In fact all players need better skills bunting. Take a slap hitter and make sure they stay in the box and can lay down a 'directed' bunt.

Lanoles

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Team 38 makes us all proud both on and off the field. Bama and OU players showed little respect for opponents at the WCWS.

Time for the NCAA to switch to the baseball format and include replay at the very least Conference Championships, Regionals, Super Regionals and WCWS. You don't need 42 cameras being wasted in OK City.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Don't think Coacha will be able to not have Muffley somewhere on the field.

Need a shut down pitcher to come in and get 6 outs. OK teams you can have complete games, but after 2 times thru the order good hitting teams will adjust. Late innings you cannot have walks or hit batters.

Need someone off the bench that can put a bunt down. If they cannot break the starting lineup then get them working on the bunts and hits to the right side of the infield. In fact all players need better skills bunting. Take a slap hitter and make sure they stay in the box and can lay down a 'directed' bunt.
This is why we need a new hitting coach.
We did not adjust to Jaurez over 14 innings. She gave up 3 runs.
That says it all!
Our hitters have regressed under Cameron.
Our pitchers progress, but our hitters regress!
OU hitters went in after each at bat and added info for all the others. They got better and better at hitting the pitcher.
I like Muffley, but she doesn't hit well enough for my taste.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
This is why we need a new hitting coach.
We did not adjust to Jaurez over 14 innings. She gave up 3 runs.
That says it all!
Our hitters have regressed under Cameron.
Our pitchers progress, but our hitters regress!
OU hitters went in after each at bat and added info for all the others. They got better and better at hitting the pitcher.
I like Muffley, but she doesn't hit well enough for my taste.
Even Michelle Smith remarked about how our batters weren’t making needed adjustments - moving up in the box. I have been vocal about TCam already so I will leave that one alone this time - but really, what is he bringing to this team?

I like Muffley and her fight. Defensively, I think 2nd is a perfect solution for her IF she can improve her offense. But even I agree that she needs to improve offensively or we go elsewhere.

It might have been last year but I remember Flaherty subbing in at first. She played well briefly and I think her height would be better suited there.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
PS - Although we haven’t mentioned her yet, there is #18 rated KRYSTINA HARTLEY, another infielder that might be a dark horse. If Lonnie finds us another Kylee Hansen, I’m not sure I will be able to control my anticipation for next season. That and straighten out our hitting.

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002
Muffley needs to improve her game in every aspect or to the bench she goes. There is no player I admire more, but she hurt the team a great deal. The thing is I think she will. We also must improve defensively at catcher. Shelnutt was a disaster back there and we have to improve there. I'm hoping Syd comes back, but I don't think it is a certainty. I can't expound enough about replacing Elizabeth Mason. What a professional person and player. Flaherty was miscast as a second baseman and I believe a move to first would be the ticket or replace Muffley with her and bring in the right fielder to play first base.

This team has the potential to be a rocket ship to the wcws , but the team must improve it's hitting, and dare I say it, the coaching staff has to improve. That hitting coach needs to be gone yesterday and Coacha did not do a good job in the last three days in my opinion. She is a great coach, but she needs to up her game. Bringing in a rookie to pitch in a pressure packed situation was pure insanity, for instance. If she replaces the hitting coach that will be a step in the right direction. I hate criticizing her, but she made more than one bad decision, and in some instances the decisions she didn't make stuck out like a sore thumb.

And lastly, don't just be satisfied in being there, have a mindset to have fun, be happy, but get down and be serious about winning. That's why you are there. I sensed that from the top down none of them expected to be there and they were just playing with house money. I especially sensed that from some of the coaches.

I know I sound pessimistic, but in reality, I had the time of my life cheering this bunch on. They were great to watch, while at the same time frustrating. Sort of like life in general. I wish them the very best next year and the years after. We have the players and the coach to make it to the very top and I can't wait till next season. JMHO

Last edited:

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
In addition to what Lanoles said, it's past time to quit hosting the WCWS in OK. Giving a home field advantage isn't the right thing to do to the rest of the softball world. Imagine hosting it in Tallahassee, Baton Rouge, or Los Angeles. Just not fair.
What do you then do with the men’s longtime event in Omaha? I remember Creighton playing there basically at home some years back, but that was kind of a one off.
Granted, right now the Oklahoma teams are benefiting, but this too shall pass. Only so many facilities would truly be considered “neutral” and I like the idea of a long time tradition in one facility.

Besides, FSU has gotten pretty comfortable playing out there...

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
What do you then do with the men’s longtime event in Omaha? I remember Creighton playing there basically at home some years back, but that was kind of a one off.
Granted, right now the Oklahoma teams are benefiting, but this too shall pass. Only so many facilities would truly be considered “neutral” and I like the idea of a long time tradition in one facility.

Creighton's a mid major though and not a national powerhouse...and as you said, "a one off". Conversely, OU's 5 national titles and repeated WCWS appearances make it appear that they're not going anywhere any time soon (except pretty much annually back up the street to OKC).

Tradition's great, but didn't the Iron Bowl improve once it stopped being played each year in what is essentially Bama's second home stadium, Birmingham's Legion Field?? There are surely plenty of potential venues in say lower division ball already available in centrally located cities such as Kansas City or St. Louis, for example...If they're not quite up to snuff currently, I'm sure that with all the revenue generated from the Four Letter, the NCAA would have no problem renovating one of such facilities to get it to standard.

Softball is growing exponentially, and moving the World Series out of arguably the nation's top program's back yard I feel is essential to preserving the game's integrity moving forward.

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002

Good points all, just don't hold it in their backyard. If their aim is to hold it in a centralized location, find a city somewhere that's not blatantly shaded for OK. It sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but it would make a difference. These kids have to face a constant barrage of partisanship from a bunch of rabid fans. I shudder to think if it was held in Baton Rouge where real nut cases show up.

Listen, it's no big deal to me, I just think changes need to be made. The format needs changing in the worst way. Having kids playing softball in the dead of night and then getting up and playing possibly three games starting within four/six hours the next day is insane. it's not going to change anyway, so I will quit talking about it.

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002
As for the men's baseball, I'm just not too interested in them. Omaha seems to be a good site even if it is surrounded by other universities. None of them are sitting squarely in any teams backyard on the street where they live.

I'm a huge baseball fan, but we are talking softball here, not baseball. That's their problem, let them work it out.

Reactions: NoleLizards

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Not a bad lineup, but I let Muffley sub in off the bench as needed.
She's 200 hitter. We need meat in our lineup.
Having Shelnutt and Muffley at the bottom of our lineup really hurt us.
Hitting lineup
Mudge LF
Sherrill 3B
Harding 1B
Culp DP
Kerr CF
Flaherty 2B
Edenfield C
Wacaser RF
Blankenship SS

I'm looking for ABs for Belviy, LoPreste, Saabye, Riggs and Landers and some unknown freshman.
If one of the following 2 things happen, we may be back in the WCWS better equipped to win.
1 Emma Wilson turns into a young Jessica Burroughs. Lonni or others have alluded to that.
2 We get a transfer as good or better than a Kylee Jo Hanson at pitcher.
A one two punch like that and look out.
I'm guessing Lonni is second guessing herself about not starting KS today. 3.1 innings 1 hit and 0 runs.
Knowing Coach (History is a great barometer) I think she will stick with Muffley at short until she has to do something different (like this year with Mudge in the outfield). I also think LoPreste will get a chance to earn the job behind the plate ( Edenfield / Harding/ Bright might all get a look and let the winner earn it) Blankenship will earn a spot somewhere I believe ( She may get some time at short or elsewhere) . If Culp is healthy she will also compete for time (maybe at First if Harding takes the job behind the dish). By the way-- in my mind Coach is not moving Flaherty or the all ACC defensive player Syd. Morgan Kendrick or Enter may come in to get some pitching time if we do not lock down a good GT. All of this does out the window if we get a couple of GT's that will take jobs (hopefully one GT who can compete for number 1 pitcher and One GT who can bomb. JMHO

Reactions: ParooKid

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Even Michelle Smith remarked about how our batters weren’t making needed adjustments - moving up in the box. I have been vocal about TCam already so I will leave that one alone this time - but really, what is he bringing to this team?

I like Muffley and her fight. Defensively, I think 2nd is a perfect solution for her IF she can improve her offense. But even I agree that she needs to improve offensively or we go elsewhere.

It might have been last year but I remember Flaherty subbing in at first. She played well briefly and I think her height would be better suited there.
I like Muffley, I do, but I don't want a 2B or SS who hits less than .240. She hit .196 this year. Sorry, to the bench. She also had 11 errors incl a key one or 4 in WCWS.

Reactions: flyrod

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
I like Muffley, I do, but I don't want a 2B or SS who hits less than .240. She hit .196 this year. Sorry, to the bench. She also had 11 errors incl a key one or 4 in WCWS.
See assessment above. I would bet the house she starts at short unless she either is not available/ Injured ? or can not physically contribute. Coach is loyal to a fault - I do believe she must produce or she will get Mudged. :)

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I don’t care if Muffley starts the season at short as the starter. I just want the best hitter/fielder to be playing by mid season

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
To everyone, what do you think are the Top Three moves that need to be made for us to be competing next year for: 1) An ACC Championship; 2) A National Championship? What’s missing at this point?

AND, after naming your 3, please list the level of confidence you have for each of the three moves that they will be accomplished.

Buck-I-Nole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
KC<JAX<TLH<321 (Palm Bay)
floridastate.rivals.com
To everyone, what do you think are the Top Three moves that need to be made for us to be competing next year for: 1) An ACC Championship; 2) A National Championship? What’s missing at this point?

AND, after naming your 3, please list the level of confidence you have for each of the three moves that they will be accomplished.
They’re favorites for the ACC championship without any moves. They didn’t even get to play the team (Clemson) that was atop the regular season by a game.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002

1. A grad transfer Pitcher in the Kylee Jo Hanson category (studette).
2. A new hitting coach to replace Cameron.
3. A transfer who is a fielder with a good batting average (.325+) and power (15+ homer).
1. 50%
2. 25%
3. 40%

Reactions: ranger43

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
They’re favorites for the ACC championship without any moves. They didn’t even get to play the team (Clemson) that was atop the regular season by a game.
I respect your opinion, but wholeheartedly disagree. More importantly, if Coacha believe this, we really are in trouble.

Historically, it was assumed we would would win the ACC - and we did. But teams in the ACC are raising the level of competition. I haven’t checking returning starters for Clemson and Duke, but they played for the championship - not FSU. The Hokies were a young team and return their ace pitcher who easily beat us in her two starts last year. What I would give to add her to our staff (now that would immediately boost us to serious championship consideration).

I am curious why you think we are the current favorites (without any moves)?

Buck-I-Nole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
KC<JAX<TLH<321 (Palm Bay)
floridastate.rivals.com
I respect your opinion, but wholeheartedly disagree. More importantly, if Coacha believe this, we really are in trouble.

Historically, it was assumed we would would win the ACC - and we did. But teams in the ACC are raising the level of competition. I haven’t checking returning starters for Clemson and Duke, but they played for the championship - not FSU. The Hokies were a young team and return their ace pitcher who easily beat us in her two starts last year. What I would give to add her to our staff (now that would immediately boost us to serious championship consideration).

I am curious why you think we are the current favorites (without any moves)?
I’m just saying based on body of work over the course of the season, FSU was the best team. The best teams don’t always win, especially with an unbalanced schedule.

It’s not going to be easy, but FSU swept Duke during the season, didn’t get to play Clemson, and didn’t face VT again after the early season games in Atlanta, when they had settled on an offensive identity.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
1. A grad transfer Pitcher in the Kylee Jo Hanson category (studette).
2. A new hitting coach to replace Cameron.
3. A transfer who is a fielder with a good batting average (.325+) and power (15+ homer).
1. 50%
2. 25%
3. 40%
I can’t agree more with your 3 choices. It’s disappointing that you don’t rate the chances of any of these three needs better than 50%. I happen to agree with your estimates BTW.

We have an exciting lineup of highly rated fresh faces to look forward to. But as we found out this year, Harding came in with a great eye for the plate, but her average dropped over the course of the year (along with almost everyone else’s). If our suspicions are correct, and the offensive problems are Cameron related, what should we expect next year? What was clearly obvious in the CWS (and as pointed out by Michelle Smith and other commentators) was our failure to make any adjustments at the plate to Oklahoma’s best pitcher (over two games). Lonnie had her hands full with the pitching. Our offensive coaching took an obvious beating on softball’s biggest stage.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002

I have already stated this several ways but here goes:
1. GT Pitcher who can compete with KS.
2. GT Bomber who can be a 3 or 4 slot danger.
3. One of Culp , Wacaser, Blakenship, etc. Have to be big contributors. (Age old axiom when I coached is the more you hit - the more you hit-- i. e. more time working on hitting fundamentals- work on weaknesses does pay dividends). New hitting coach or more attention - not sure which will be the most benefit but work on it every day including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years etc . --every day if you have to.

P.S. We have not seen all the new talent play yet so some of these needs may already be here. Just saying.

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002
An above average catcher who can catch, block errant throws, throw, and can hit, especially one who can hit with power.

A lockdown pitcher. Goes without saying.

A better than average shortstop defensively that can hit for an average.

In an aside, find a replacement for what Elizabeth Mason brought to the table, regardless of what position she holds down.

Reactions: flyrod

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...hind-scenes-culture-lonni-alameda/7696545002/

"She's, in my perspective, the smartest coach I've ever been around. She's constantly learning, constantly teaching us," FSU pitcher Caylan Arnold told the Democrat.

"I've learned more about the actual game of softball from her. I didn't know anything, not even really how to pitch, until I got here and she just continuously wanted to share that knowledge. She's going to be someone that's going to be in your corner for the rest of your life and I'm so grateful for that."

Latest posts