2022 Women's Soccer

squiffynole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
It's been a great 24 hours! I understand the Championship Celebration was streamed so it's probably on-line somewhere but I'll give you my camera dump anyway.

It was rainy so I went upstairs and watched from a balcony, as it turned out the spear was too wet to ignite.

539KTzc.jpg

So luckily I stayed dry and secured a premium seat as well!

ftuOQiL.jpg

Jurh90A.jpg

Richard McCullough got along famously with Jody Brown.

giphy.gif

The Prez has a nice, easy speaking style. He and his wife were thrilled with the trip to Santa Clara.

BPvoZCa.jpg

Coach Krikorian is a terrific speaker, he took a moment to recognize Mickey Andrews and Sue Hall in the audience and ad libbed that Mickey would not have come if it weren't a shutout.

Mostly though he talked about how really difficult it is to win a title and expressed gratitude to everyone.

1K9uuCV.jpg

Mark gave special attention to Gabby Carle as being named the top academic performer in this year's College Cup and how Kristina Lynch took the award last year. He was very proud of the teams 3.6+ grade point average and the 4.0's earned by Gabby and Kristina.

Znvou3a.jpg

Jaelin Howell was very well spoken, very graceful, said FSU is viewed as a professional program but is truly a family.

EdU0gWJ.jpg

Everyone loves the Marching Chiefs!

cTKBoUH.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The big climax!

voaRaSv.jpg

7UL7yFp.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

All the luminaries were there!

BJqvGIX.jpg

Tom Block did a marvelous job as master of ceremonies. Big laugh when he told the audience how it went to penalty kicks but the spear was lit!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002

#118 minutes ago

2021 with its ups and downs really highlighted how incredibly difficult it is to win a natty!
I was quite sure UVA would make the CC and play us again.
I knew UNC would win at least a couple of games in the NCAA. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had made the CC.
There was no way that Santa Clara who started out 3-4-2, would make the CC.
Without a few incredible saves by Cristina Roque, we may not make the CC.
It takes skill, talent, teamwork, great coaching and a little luck here and there.
We deserved it and are a worthy 3 x national champion.
There is no guarantee if and when it will happen again, but as long as Mark Krikorian is prowling the sidelines, I feel like our chances are good.
He is the best coach in the NCAA currently. Anson Dorrance historically is the best by a long shot!
Mark has been at FSU for 17 years and has been to 11 Final Fours. Wow! The early years for Mark and FSU were about over achieving b/c we didn't match up talent wise with UNC, UVA etc.
We have been able to go toe to toe with them the last 8-10 years or so.
He has led us to 8 of the past 11 ACCT titles. As some point out, luck plays a part. That is true.
The math of Mark Krikorian paints a picture of superior coaching. We are indeed blessed.
On to 22.
We lose Howell, Carle and Mitchell.
That leaves, Roque and Justus in goal. Pavlisko, Madril and Flynn on the back line, The midfield returns Nighswonger, Robbins, Lynch, Payne, Zhao, Bissell, Alagoa, Zipay, Horton and Iwai. We have Brown and Olsson up top.
We have 7 known commitments. The only one I know much about is Olivia Smith who had a brief call-up to the Canadian NT. She is a stud. The others may be, I just don't know.
Robbins and Flynn were overlooked and under rated gems Mark picked up from Virginia.
What we don't know is who may transfer out and who may transfer in.
I'm speculating here, but recruiting both high schoolers and transfers has to get easier doesn't it?
I'm still enjoying natty #3, but wouldn't it be great to be the first team not named UNC to get 4 nattys?

ps Most improved player has to go to Flynn. Early in the season she scared me both with her defense and her passing. By the end, she was becoming a wall and a defensive star with improving offensive forays!

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I see we have a GK recruit committed for next year, which makes me feel a little better when contemplating whether we'll be able too keep Justus. She's a major talent, and if she makes the U20 team for next year, I can't help but worry she'll move on to a school that needs her to start (which is almost every school). I think it's fair to say Roque has got the starting job for now.

Thoughts? Insights? Inside info?

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
I see we have a GK recruit committed for next year, which makes me feel a little better when contemplating whether we'll be able too keep Justus. She's a major talent, and if she makes the U20 team for next year, I can't help but worry she'll move on to a school that needs her to start (which is almost every school). I think it's fair to say Roque has got the starting job for now.

Thoughts? Insights? Inside info?

I have three questions about next year:
1. Who is likely to replace Howell at holding midfielder?
2. Does Justus stay given Roque is a sophomore?
3. Is Madril staying?

Other than those questions, we look to be set for another run.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I have three questions about next year:
1. Who is likely to replace Howell at holding midfielder?
2. Does Justus stay given Roque is a sophomore?
3. Is Madril staying?

Other than those questions, we look to be set for another run.
I have no inside knowledge, but I'll take a stab.
1. Clara Robbins replaced J on a few occasions this year, so she would be my choice.
2. Just a guess, but if MK opts for the same arrangement of every other game and then pick one
for the NCAAT, I believe she'll stay. Where else will she face better competition in practice?
Of course if being the 'one and only' matters most, she's gone!
3. Yes Madril is staying, at least that's the last word.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
This season with its ups and downs really highlighted how incredibly difficult it is to win a natty!
I knew UNC would win at least a couple of games.
It takes skill, talent, teamwork, great coaching and a little luck here and there.
Yep. It ain’t easy.
Kudos to a long slog by players and coaches plus staff, fans, and others.
Chill out and enjoy the Title.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
2021 with its ups and downs really highlighted how incredibly difficult it is to win a natty!
I knew UNC would win at least a couple of games in the NCAA. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had made the CC.
There is no guarantee if and when it will happen again, but as long as Mark Krikorian is prowling the sidelines, I feel like our chances are good.
He is the best coach in the NCAA currently. Anson Dorrance historically is the best by a long shot!
Mark has been at FSU for 17 years and has been to 11 Final Fours. Wow! The early years for Mark and FSU were about over achieving b/c we didn't match up talent wise with UNC, UVA etc.
We have been able to go toe to toe with them the last 8-10 years or so.
He has led us to 8 of the past 11 ACCT titles. As some point out, luck plays a part. That is true.
The math of Mark Krikorian paints a picture of superior coaching. We are indeed blessed.
On to 22.
We lose Howell, Carle and Mitchell.
That leaves, Roque and Justus in goal. Pavlisko, Madril and Flynn on the back line, The midfield returns Nighswonger, Robbins, Lynch, Payne, Zhao, Bissell, Alagoa, Zipay, Horton and Iwai. We have Brown and Olsson up top.
We have 7 known commitments. The only one I know much about is Olivia Smith who had a brief call-up to the Canadian NT. She is a stud. The others may be, I just don't know.
Robbins and Flynn were overlooked and under rated gems Mark picked up from Virginia.
What we don't know is who may transfer out and who may transfer in.
I'm speculating here, but recruiting both high schoolers and transfers has to get easier doesn't it?
I'm still enjoying natty #3, but wouldn't it be great to be the first team not named UNC to get 4 nattys?

ps Most improved player has to go to Flynn. Early in the season she scared me both with her defense and her passing. By the end, she was becoming a wall and a defensive star with improving offensive forays!

FLSnole

Starter
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2020
Did anyone else hear the post game press conference where coach K was thankful that the university sent a charter to return home? He said that getting out there was difficult and referenced “planes, trains and automobiles to get out there”. I have no idea of the details, but he seemed to be annoyed by it. Really disappointed (again) that the ncaa doesn’t do more for women’s sports - my assumption being that they didn‘t provide sufficient funding for travel. Additionally playing Friday & Sunday would have been way too soon as hard as both teams fought Friday night. Reminds me of the crazy tight wcws schedule and the disparity in the hotels, food and weight room provided during the women’s basketball tourney.
Does anyone know what coach K was referring to? You can hear the press conference at https://seminoles.com/sports/soccer/

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I've re-watched the game a couple of times, especially the last 30 minutes plus the PK shootout.
A couple of things that stood out after all that watching.
1. As has been pointed out, Flynn saved her best for the last. She was a wall in defense, made many aggressive steals and effectively brought the ball up the pitch. That bodes well for next year's defense with her, Madril and Pavlisko coming back.
2. Heather Payne played a great game. IMO, her defense has really improved. She has always been a great passer, but she made some great D plays Monday. Look forward to seeing more of her next year.
3. My award for the best fitness, has to go to Emily Madril. She played the whole length of the field many times. Even deep into the 2nd OT she is making runs all the way up the field with good pace. Wow!
Kudos to all the 2021 Noles!

Sawyer55

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I've re-watched the game a couple of times, especially the last 30 minutes plus the PK shootout.
A couple of things that stood out after all that watching.
1. As has been pointed out, Flynn saved her best for the last. She was a wall in defense, made many aggressive steals and effectively brought the ball up the pitch. That bodes well for next year's defense with her, Madril and Pavlisko coming back.
2. Heather Payne played a great game. IMO, her defense has really improved. She has always been a great passer, but she made some great D plays Monday. Look forward to seeing more of her next year.
3. My award for the best fitness, has to go to Emily Madril. She played the whole length of the field many times. Even deep into the 2nd OT she is making runs all the way up the field with good pace. Wow!
Kudos to all the 2021 Noles!
Thanks for the review and updates you have posted for 2022.

Question, I saw a recruiting ranking that had the top 5 and FSU wasn't in it. Is that still a product of the top US players don't give FSU a look as much as the international? I have zero questions about the talent level being brought in by Coach K, just curious about how FSU is looked at by top US players.

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
The class we are bringing in for 2022 is not highly ranked.
As a side note, the 2023 class will be highly ranked.
A few points to consider.
1. Class rankings usually do not include internationals or transfers.
2. Mark has a habit of finding diamonds in the rough. Robbins and Flynn come to mind recently.
3. The 2022 team has very holes to fill and most of the answers can be found on the current roster.
4. The one 2022 stud that has me excited is Olivia Smith a young Canadian who got a brief call-up to the full NT last year I believe. She is an immediate impact player.
5. We inevitably lose a few players to transfer who want more playing time.

*I suspect going forward that recruiting domestic players will get easier. We've always taken a back seat to Stanford, UCLA, USC, UVA, Duke and UNC for domestic recruits. That difference in domestic recruiting will be narrowed IMO!
I also think FSU will have an easier time with securing high-quality transfers as needed. The future is bright, but we will have huge losses after next year (Pavlisko, Madril, Robbins, Zhao, probably Nighswonger and possibly Nesbeth and Payne.)
Point is, enjoy this year and don't expect a repeat in 2022, but don't count it out. We are loaded!

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
The class we are bringing in for 2022 is not highly ranked.
As a side note, the 2023 class will be highly ranked.
A few points to consider.
1. Class rankings usually do not include internationals or transfers.
2. Mark has a habit of finding diamonds in the rough. Robbins and Flynn come to mind recently.
3. The 2022 team has very holes to fill and most of the answers can be found on the current roster.
4. The one 2022 stud that has me excited is Olivia Smith a young Canadian who got a brief call-up to the full NT last year I believe. She is an immediate impact player.
5. We inevitably lose a few players to transfer who want more playing time.

*I suspect going forward that recruiting domestic players will get easier. We've always taken a back seat to Stanford, UCLA, USC, UVA, Duke and UNC for domestic recruits. That difference in domestic recruiting will be narrowed IMO!
I also think FSU will have an easier time with securing high-quality transfers as needed. The future is bright, but we will have huge losses after next year (Pavlisko, Madril, Robbins, Zhao, probably Nighswonger and possibly Nesbeth and Payne.)
Point is, enjoy this year and don't expect a repeat in 2022, but don't count it out. We are loaded!
I think we are a top 4 team next year. Anything can happen, but I will be surprised if we don't make the final 4 again. In the ACC, I wonder how good UNC will be. They were well thought of last year, but never put it together. Duke, to me was overrated. But, how much do they lose. Virginia seems to be losing several key players, but were elite this year. Any upstarts in the ACC next year?

Finally, no one mentioned Roque..............having her in net gives us a decided advantage. Justice staying????? If she does hope to see her make a leap. Our offense is coming back to play............and we have several freshman that could make a leap in play. Think we will be a dangerous team, with a killer defense. Madril coming back is huge. She was the tournament MVP to me.

supergreennole

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2019
Not going to lie, I have a major, major crush on Madril. She is crazy smooth when she is in possession, always seems to be in the right position defensively, and knows when to insert herself into the offensive flow of the game. She will be a huge loss when she finally leaves. She hardly even gets substituted out and is just a beast all around. This team looks incredibly well positioned to win this thing again next year, but other teams are always going to give us their best shot.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
UVA Will be getting Jarrett back who creates huge problems with her speed. Hopkins will replace Ordonez in front of the net at forward position. I don’t think they lose that much. Don’t sleep on UVA and with UNC it all depends upon how they mesh because they always have lots of talent.
The big difference with Duke was their freshman Cooper? If they get another couple of freshman this next year at her level then they will be dangerous.

twins4bpyle

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 14, 2007
Pittsboro NC.
If Clara Robbins drops back to the 6 we will see a more offensive minded holding mid. No one on the roster will match Howells physicality. Clara is a solid midfielder and her dropping back can help keep her on the field when Yugi and Jenna are the pitch. Clara is determined defender, but I think there will be a few more defensive breakdowns than with Howell. I wouldn't be surprised to see Payne playing Gabby's wingback position. She really surprised me with her defense during the tournament. I can't wait to see what our starting lineup looks like next year.

FLSnole

Starter
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2020
This Mock has Howell going number 1 and Madrill going number 4...maybe she leaves after all?

Yeah, there are others too that have been in the first few rounds of mocks (Robbins, Zhao, Pavlisko) that didn’t participate in senior day. Not sure how all the rules work with COVID season and draft status/declarations. Confirms what we knew, that this team is very talented. Here’s another mock. https://soccerdossier.com/2022-nwsl-college-mock-draft-version-2-0/

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Nice look, Tom.
Gazing into the future is fun, but always with chances to be imperfect.
If most of these players return and injuries are at a minimum, that is a heckuva base to add select pieces to. Couple that with the growth and maturation that our staff always brings forth and the future looks solid for FSU Soccer.

Reactions: squiffynole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Obviously losing Howell and Carle will hurt the most. Madrid and Pavlisko and Robbins in the Zhao coming back, a poster on another site has asked them personally and they said they are coming back. This jives with the fact that they were not feted on senior night.
The 2022 team on paper certainly looks capable of competing for another college cup, but maybe not quite so loaded as this year. The wildcard for me will be this Olivia Smith coming in from Canada. She looks like a real stud!

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Another day, another award for Gabby Carle! It has been quite a year for her. Gold medal, Senior CLASS award, Elite 90, National Championship, Academic All American, Grad school 4.0, and soon to be drafted. Now that’s amazing! Congrats to Gabby!
https://seminoles.com/carle-named-cosida-academic-all-american-2/
We sat in the grass on the parking garage end for the Michigan match. Our daughter raved about Carle and Flynn. They were peaking in that game and were very impressive.
As some have posted Lauren Flynn has really progressed, and of course Gabby has as well.

Last edited:

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
I won't buy any hype on a soccer recruit till they prove it on the field. I learned that lesson with Anna McClung who came to Fsu with just about every accolade possible for a high schooler.

Reactions: billanole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I won't buy any hype on a soccer recruit till they prove it on the field. I learned that lesson with Anna McClung who came to Fsu with just about every accolade possible for a high schooler.
You can definitely buy this hype.
The Canadian WNT brought her up for 2 games. She IS the real deal!

Reactions: NoleFreak85

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Alright - now who is going to join me in upping your Coaches Club contribution to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS? :)

Let's get our program the proper updates it needs (scoreboard, permanent seating shades, etc.) - and someone get (EDIT) Vince Tyra on the phone! :)
Thank you for your leadership! I went ahead and kicked in more money for soccer, softball, volleyball and women's basketball clubs.

We sure could use modern scoreboards at the Plex - maybe four years ago John Thrasher talked like it was eminent, last Spring I had booster people calling for money but still nothing and I can't even find the fundraising initiative on the booster website. But maybe we'll be pleased soon.

The softball shade roof is great but I'm not so sure one for soccer would be so cost beneficial since no matter what the sun is in your face during late afternoon/evening games. What I would like is more fixed seating, more mini seatbacks and some vigorous tall growing bushes along Stadium Drive to screen the traffic out.

Not that I don't admire the Plex!