2022 Women's Soccer

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
I certainly wouldn't.
I have a different perspective. Two well intentioned men could have worked this out. BUT- it takes two to have a good handshake--- and yes I mostly blame the guy at the top because it is his job to make things right even when there is disagreement. . I any case it's time to move on and I believe their will be a ton of highly thought of candidates who want this job. It is -- in my opinion-- the top college coaching job in women's soccer. To think good coaches won't want this job is ludicrous. We were willing to pay top dollar and enhance current facilities. This is way better than any other programs. I love our chances of getting a great coach and continuing to have one of the top- if not the top programs in the country.

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
As I've stated, I think the best option may be Mike Bristol. He has been Mark's assistant for over 15 years I believe. He knows how it's done from the inside.
Of course our brilliant administration only hires from within when the program is either on the decline or simply mediocre!
Women's bball and men's baseball could have used a national search. Soccer? Not so much!
Leave it to our administration to get it bass ackwards!

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
If anybody tried to tell me 17 years ago that FSU would supplant UNC as the top team in the ACC and possibly the NCAA, I would have politely disagreed. He pulled FSU into high competition quickly, and then began to even the tables vs. the longtime gorilla in Chapel Hill. Virginia was the last conference team for the Noles to defeat.
When Florida State left starters at home during the conference tourney as a protest against scheduling favoritism in the league, the dam burst.

I gotta guess that Mark does not immediately land at another NCAA program. Maybe later. I do hope that he continues to influence the game, as he has done so well for decades.
My daughter still talks about summer camp with Krikorian and Bell as a very uplifting experience.

Best wishes and thanks, Coach.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
As I've stated, I think the best option may be Mike Bristol. He has been Mark's assistant for over 15 years I believe. He knows how it's done from the inside.
Of course our brilliant administration only hires from within when the program is either on the decline or simply mediocre!
Women's bball and men's baseball could have used a national search. Soccer? Not so much!
Leave it to our administration to get it bass ackwards!
Mike definitely deserves strong consideration. I did not remember his time with the ODP…

Reactions: cnole1

cnole1

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2002
Longwood, FL
Mike definitely deserves strong consideration. I did not remember his time with the ODP…

I just read Mike's resume and he does deserve STRONG consideration. He must be well liked by the team, and as the recruiting coordinator has played a big role in putting together the last few teams. He certainly knows the roster better than anyone else, as well as potential recruits, and would be in position to provide a smooth transition. Hopefully he could keep the team together, if necessary.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Wes Hart could be a coaching option. Former pro player who was an assistant under Mark at FSU for a few years.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
They could go after Eric Bell at TCU or Dambach at PSU who was a Krikorian asst.
I still prefer Bristol.
I don't think you would see a transfer exodus like basketball had.
Of course, knowing how much talent they have, they may not transfer anyway. I don't know!

jgking83

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2007
Mark straight up said that as soon as Alford was hired he knew he was leaving. Get Alford the heck outta here. How truly awful.
Do you know why there is bad blood between them? Based on the things I've seen and read, Alford did more than enough to make it work.

Nolefan82

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2001
Do you know why there is bad blood between them? Based on the things I've seen and read, Alford did more than enough to make it work.
Hate losing MK. He was such a legendary figure. But when getting 83% more that the next highest paid coach isn't enough-I have to question Mark's thinking. Alford put an amazing offer on the table.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Hate losing MK. He was such a legendary figure. But when getting 83% more that the next highest paid coach isn't enough-I have to question Mark's thinking. Alford put an amazing offer on the table.
Can yall not comprehend what Mark said. He was gone as soon as Alford was hired. Man was well like by all other FSU coaches not to mention internationally respected. It wasn't money either. If yall haven't been able to read between the lines yet, MA doesn't care about women's sports sadly. Lonni could very well leave next year.

Reactions: squiffynole

jgking83

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2007
Can yall not comprehend what Mark said. He was gone as soon as Alford was hired. Man was well like by all other FSU coaches not to mention internationally respected. It wasn't money either. If yall haven't been able to read between the lines yet, MA doesn't care about women's sports sadly. Lonni could very well leave next year.
It's not that he doesn't care about women's sports. It's that he's going to prioritize the sports that bring in revenue. And that's exactly what he should do. They made generous offers to Coach Krikorian. Way more money than I would have offered.

Reactions: seabass4592

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
It's not that he doesn't care about women's sports. It's that he's going to prioritize the sports that bring in revenue. And that's exactly what he should do. They made generous offers to Coach Krikorian. Way more money than I would have offered.
Again your missing the point.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Furthermore Mark and Jimbo both had elite programs at the same time, how on earth was that possible 😁😉

Reactions: NoleLizards

FSUdawg

All-American
Mar 29, 2002
This wasn't about his salary. It appears to be more about the program itself being put on the back burner and not getting things that MK thought were needed.

I understand needing to spend on the revenue sports, but as always there needs to be a balance. The soccer program is the best thing the FSU Athletic Dept. has going for it, or at least it was.

jgking83

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2007
This wasn't about his salary. It appears to be more about the program itself being put on the back burner and not getting things that MK thought were needed.

I understand needing to spend on the revenue sports, but as always there needs to be a balance. The soccer program is the best thing the FSU Athletic Dept. has going for it, or at least it was.
There is no evidence that FSU soccer has been placed on the back burner.

Lanoles

Nov 6, 2001
Think it was an issue of egos, when Alford got hired, MK knew he was the odd man out, not Alford.

Reactions: jgking83

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Reportedly MK was offered crazy money compared to any other Womens soccer coach in the country. (So was his staff) It was definitely about his dislike and distrust for Alford
Definitely dislike........don't get the distrust aspect. He had a long and distinguished career at FSU. But no one is above the organization. Ego...............and walking off self-righteous never is a good look, even for him. He could have just said he was done and wanted to move on, even sign a 1 year contract and have a glory year. But no, it was Alford or him in some weird duel.

Also saw this: https://swimswam.com/ncaa-division-i-schools-to-start-paying-athletes-for-academic-performance/

So does FSU not paying this academic oriented subsidy to athletes play into his discord?

Last edited:

Dr. Nole

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2002
Have we heard of any players entering the portal?

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
The message pleases me thank you Tallahassee Democrat for the info - I sense the hand of McCullough.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...ikorian-michael-alford-mccullough/9511236002/

------------------------------

Florida State Director of Athletics Michael Alford made it clear that the athletic department's funding of its perennial power soccer program isn't going anywhere or changing...

Alford told the Democrat that the funding for the program isn't changing under the new regime. The national search for Krikorian's successor is ongoing.

"I'm telling all the candidates in all our conversations our commitment is still there to have an elite program," Alford said.

Krikorian was the highest-paid coach in women's college soccer at $450,000 annually for the last two years. He was one of two coaches in the country whose annual salary was more than $275,000.

The assistant coach pool for the FSU soccer program was also the biggest in the country at $233,614, over $30,000 more than the next closest team.

Furthermore, the recent FSU soccer budget shared by public records request showed the Seminoles had the second-biggest budget in the country at $2.79 million for the most recent season trailing only Texas A&M at $3.09 million.

That's nearly one million above the national average of $1.9 million and over $700,000 more than the next closest ACC team...

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
The message pleases me thank you Tallahassee Democrat for the info - I sense the hand of McCullough.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...ikorian-michael-alford-mccullough/9511236002/

------------------------------

Florida State Director of Athletics Michael Alford made it clear that the athletic department's funding of its perennial power soccer program isn't going anywhere or changing...

Alford told the Democrat that the funding for the program isn't changing under the new regime. The national search for Krikorian's successor is ongoing.

"I'm telling all the candidates in all our conversations our commitment is still there to have an elite program," Alford said.

Krikorian was the highest-paid coach in women's college soccer at $450,000 annually for the last two years. He was one of two coaches in the country whose annual salary was more than $275,000.

The assistant coach pool for the FSU soccer program was also the biggest in the country at $233,614, over $30,000 more than the next closest team.

Furthermore, the recent FSU soccer budget shared by public records request showed the Seminoles had the second-biggest budget in the country at $2.79 million for the most recent season trailing only Texas A&M at $3.09 million.

That's nearly one million above the national average of $1.9 million and over $700,000 more than the next closest ACC team...
Yeah, that was one great PR piece. I wondered whether the reporter actually wrote any of it.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
N8jnhOf.jpg

OQrqamx.jpg

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I will definitely miss Coach K. But I am certainly hopeful that with these players, a new pitch and a new scoreboard, FSU is an attractive opportunity for almost anyone.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I read on another site that 7 girls incl 3 incoming Fr have hit the portal.
Roque and Madril among them
I feel like I was just sucker punched. They don’t even know who the new coach will be. Although as we learned in football recently, I suppose if they like the choice of head coach, they can always come back.

But why do I feel like the slide back to “less than championship” just began here.

• Sad

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I've seen Heather Dyche's name several times for the new coach. In any event, it would be interesting to know if any of the veterans have been involved in, let alone informed about, the coaching search.