2022 Women's Softball pt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
It's slick how FSU softball has three head coach calibre members of the staff and a fourth with extensive experience as a high school baseball head coach. I've been thinking the long term teaming with Travis Wilson and attracting Kaleigh Rafter are two of Lonni's great accomplishments.
Concur

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Where was Rafter yesterday? Did not see her at first nor third and did not see her on the bench. It was a little odd.
I keep wondering about her real job-- and the duties required while "Volunteering"

ParooKid

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 11, 2002
Where is the gal who was hobbling around with a brace on her knee? I can't recall her name.

NoleMan32

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2007
Thx blue .. 🤦🏻‍♂️..Gotta pay more attention to what thread I'm in.

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I just checked out Texas A&M softball to see how Makinzy is doing.
Very interesting to say the least.
Last year she was a very good hitter and fair pitcher.
She hit .354 with 13 homers and was 18/22 in SBs.
On the mound she was 12-7 with a 2.94 era in 124 innings
We all attributed that to the coaching of Craig Snider.
Fast forward to this year.
She is batting .200 with 1 hr and 5/6 SBs
Her pitching however is now 5-2 allowing 1 earned run in 44 innings. 0.16 era.

Either Snider forgot how to coach, or maybe our narrative about him and our new coach was wrong!

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002
All great hitters have a bad day, week, month, and year. Sometime the gods just arent't with you. Three for ten and you are hittiing .333. Two for ten and you are looking at .250.

I am not taking the little lady's part, nor the coach. I'm just saying circumstances with that little round ball just don't go your way sometime. I wish her the best. I will say that I know very little about her, but apparently she is supposed to be real good.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002

Either Snider forgot how to coach, or maybe our narrative about him and our new coach was wrong!
I have been going with the latter for 2 years now.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee

Don't really know about overall effectiveness but they are very different personalities - Craig being an outgoing spirit leader while Troy projects a quiet confidence. Both types can benefit the little society.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Don't really know about overall effectiveness but they are very different personalities - Craig being an outgoing spirit leader while Troy projects a quiet confidence. Both types can benefit the little society.
I have said for some time now a hitting coach is more about confidence then mechanics at the college level. Most of these players have been playing for 10 years or more. They have had good coaching to get them to this level and obviously we recruited them because they have the necessary skills (eye hand coordination and mechanics--including successful careers at the High School and travel ball levels). It is at this point more about confidence and repetitive work on what made them successful. For that I think the current coach is good. JMHO

Reactions: squiffynole

jdogg_20_8

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2007
The game is so predicated on failure. The best hitter of all times (arguably) hit .406. He failed 60% of the time. I think we put too much stock on the hitting coach. Agree with @townole that at this point it is more getting the player confident at each at bat. Last AB regardless of outcome does not predict how the next AB will go. Personally I love our approaches at the plate. We do not have a high tendency to strike out. We put the ball in play which stresses the defense and we know how to move runners. Just not sure how much that is because of coaching or just who we recruited.

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I wonder if "safety bags" are in the future?

https://d1softball.com/collisions-prompt-renewed-push-for-safety-bag/

SafetyBase-1000x500.jpg

Reactions: Noles61

Noles61

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002

Lanoles

Nov 6, 2001
Been around a long time, even when I was playing in the 80's. Called a double base. I believe it actually caused more incidents especially with bad throws from bunts or catcher dropped balls. Must be the reason it never caught on.

Some ideas for more safety actually backfire. Unintended consequences.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Been around a long time, even when I was playing in the 80's. Called a double base. I believe it actually caused more incidents especially with bad throws from bunts or catcher dropped balls. Must be the reason it never caught on.

Good thoughts. I don't really understand the negatives - on the surface it seems like a good measure but from what I read quite a few coaches see problems.

I haven't seen all that many hard collisions myself but there have been a few foot injuries where the runner steps on or is forced to step over the first baseman foot (like happened with Muffley in the first game).

The article talks about a couple of high profile situations last week and the ongoing NCAA process for softball rules, I guess I'm curious about Lonni's view.

jdogg_20_8

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2007
For those interested, I went over to to North Florida and JU's softball schedule sites. Although Seminoles.com shows no coverage at this time, both schools show they will have coverage. UNF shows their own streaming, SwoopLife or BlueframeTEchnology and JU actually shows the game is going to be on ESPN+

UNF
https://unfospreys.com/sports/softball/schedule/2022

JU
https://judolphins.com/sports/softball/schedule
Good looking out @Noles61 I do not hold my breath right now when it says ESPN+ but will log on in hopes of seeing it. Will see how the other stream goes too.

Noles61

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Good looking out @Noles61 I do not hold my breath right now when it says ESPN+ but will log on in hopes of seeing it. Will see how the other stream goes too.

I hit the watch icon on their web site and it brought up the game page right away, with the message game not ready to begin. So if all else fails on TV app, try going through their link.

Reactions: jdogg_20_8

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002

Long overdue in my mind. Most of the incidents seem to happen when first introduction occurs and players are not as familiar. Once runners and fielders get used to it it does keep first basepersons and runners on a non collusion course -- it also has the tendency to keep the runner in a proper route to the base and keeps them out of the field of play. (all of this is for singles where there is a play to be made at first-- often doubles are a kaleidoscope of hilarity when it is first introduced) JMHO

Reactions: jgking83
Status
Not open for further replies.