ADVERTISEMENT

A Deeper Look into Jimbo vs Saban

goodnole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2002
The article in The Athletic describes in detail possibly WHY Jimbo went off against Saban. It boils down to Saban's demanding expectations when you are an assistant under him. It gets doubly tough when you happen to be the OC. From that, Jimbo has harbored some raw , hard feelings.
Not making excuses for Jimbo as the article ends with "Some things are better left unsaid."

Cliff notes;
1) Saban is extremely hard on his OC. Saban and Jimbo were always at each other's throats at LSU.
2) Last Thursday' events was the result of Jimbo again feeling "put down" again by Saban.
3) No love lost between Jimbo and Saban.
4) One coach said that as OC , Jimbo had to feel like a "unwanted stepchild" under Saban.
5) One former LSU QB called Jimbo an offensive guru. Saban would not allow Fisher to utilize his creativity.
6) Same QB says that actually Saban was good for Fisher. Said that Jimbo was like a "squirrel" early on. Easily distracted.
7) One assistant LSU coach , whose son played HS ball in Baton Rouge , only saw his son play 1 game while at LSU. Saban was that demanding.
8) Saban crossed the line when bringing Jimbo into the conversation last week.
9) One coach said that Jimbo should have said, "Yeah, I got his ***! And left it at that.
Not sure if I can link, given it is a paid for subscription.

Sorry for the length of the post.

Last edited:
The article in The Athletic describes in detail possibly WHY Jimbo went off against Saban. It boils down to Saban's demanding expectations when you are an assistant under him. It gets doubly tough when you happen to be the OC. From that, Jimbo has harbored some raw , hard feelings.
Not making excuses for Jimbo as the article ends with "Some things are better left unsaid."

Cliff notes;
1) Saban is extremely hard on his OC. Saban and Jimbo were always at each other's throats at LSU.
2) Last Thursday' events was the result of Jimbo again feeling "put down" again by Saban.
4) One coach said that as OC , Jimbo had to feel like a "unwanted stepchild" under Saban.
5) One former LSU QB called Jimbo an offensive guru. Saban would not allow Fisher to utilize his creativity.
6) Same QB says that actually Saban was good for Fisher. Said that Jimbo was like a "squirrel" early on. Easily distracted.
7) One assistant LSU coach , whose son played HS ball in Baton Rouge , only saw his son play 1 game while at LSU. Saban was that demanding.
9) One coach said that Jimbo should have said, "Yeah, I got his ***! And left it at that.

It was a fascinating week for sure.

Listening the Cameron show this week, and Jeff apparently got to know Jimbo pretty well, it came down to a challenge on Jimbo's integrity and character. Apparently that sets off Jimbo more than anything. And then of course the attack on Jimbo and A&M came from Saban, which set him off that much more.

Is what it is!

Listening the Cameron show this week, and Jeff apparently got to know Jimbo pretty well, it came down to a challenge on Jimbo's integrity and character. Apparently that sets off Jimbo more than anything. And then of course the attack on Jimbo and A&M came from Saban, which set him off that much more.

Is what it is!
Challenge on Jimbo’s integrity and character?

How about his judgement? The way he left FSU didn’t show much character, imo.
And Jimbo brought that sick pud, Malik (I’m going rape yo mama) Henry to Tallahassee.
And the other quarterback that got kicked off the team for punching that girl in the face and that other quarterback that was pulling pounds of pot from S. Florida and that other quarterback who kept giving us a black-eye nationally for rape, stealing crab cakes, and standing on the chair in the Student Union yelling, “f@ck them in the p¥ssy.”

I’ll challenge Jimbo’s integrity, character and judgement.

Both are egotistical, overly-competitive and narcissistic men who are not only willing to bend and break rules to win, but they also live comfortably in a world of plausible deniability.

Better stated, Jimbo figured out a competitive advantage over the king of competitive advantages, and Saban didn’t like it.

Saban was an average Joe in the NFL because he could not rig the system in his favor. Saban rigged the college football system at Bama to give himself a competitive advantage, until now.

Jimbo’s comment,”Go ask any coach that has worked for him” , had nothing to do with recruiting improprieties. It had everything to do with the way Saban treats his coaches, particularly on the offensive side.

That’s exactly why he referenced Bobby. Bobby treated his coaches with respect, thus they stayed with Bowden.

Not defending Jimbo, but it seems that he took Saban’s comments personally. Given their history, it would be hard not to. Just another dig from Saban.

That's Bullshit

I still remember the post game interview when FSU beat Bama in 2007. Fisher's 1st year at FSU as OC and Saban's 1st year at Alabama. Pat Kennedy was interviewing Fisher and Saban walked by. Jimbo shook his hand, chatted for a quick second and said "Everything I learned came from that man. Have a ton of respect for him." Jimbo modeled his program at FSU and aTm like Fisher did. Tries to talk like him,tries emulating him in every way. Even now, he still tries hard to be like him. That's why I didn't like him bringing up Bobby in that rant of his because it's not genuine. All he took from Bobby is to say "dadgum" every now and then when he was HC here. Everything else, came from Nicky

Now, they may have had a falling out the last several years or so. And I'm more then sure Jimbo was legitimately pissed at Nick during that Clip. But him feeling like he was undermined in some way when he worked under him? Again B.S I can see that for Les Miles (who those 2 didn't get along at all and who Fisher never mentioned publically since he left LSU) but not for his Idol in Tuscaloosa

That's Bullshit

I still remember the post game interview when FSU beat Bama in 2007. Fisher's 1st year at FSU as OC and Saban's 1st year at Alabama. Pat Kennedy was interviewing Fisher and Saban walked by. Jimbo shook his hand, chatted for a quick second and said "Everything I learned came from that man. Have a ton of respect for him." Jimbo modeled his program at FSU and aTm like Fisher did. Tries to talk like him,tries emulating him in every way. Even now, he still tries hard to be like him. That's why I didn't like him bringing up Bobby in that rant of his because it's not genuine. All he took from Bobby is to say "dadgum" every now and then when he was HC here. Everything else, came from Nicky

Now, they may have had a falling out the last several years or so. And I'm more then sure Jimbo was legitimately pissed at Nick during that Clip. But him feeling like he was undermined in some way when he worked under him? Again B.S I can see that for Les Miles (who those 2 didn't get along at all and who Fisher never mentioned publically since he left LSU) but not for his Idol in Tuscaloosa
The Athletic article quoted several that felt like Jimbo wouldn’t be where he is today without Saban. The article referenced that Fisher learned the value of structure and organization from Saban.
No doubt, Jimbo is nothing like Bobby.
He may very well realize that by now!

Jimbo’s comment,”Go ask any coach that has worked for him” , had nothing to do with recruiting improprieties. It had everything to do with the way Saban treats his coaches, particularly on the offensive side.

That’s exactly why he referenced Bobby. Bobby treated his coaches with respect, thus they stayed with Bowden.

Not defending Jimbo, but it seems that he took Saban’s comments personally. Given their history, it would be hard not to. Just another dig from Saban.
Interesting- seems the assistants under Jimbo left - he couldn’t keep the good ones -

Both those guys are absolute jerks and awful to work for, but Fisher pays the best because of A&M and Saban pays nearly top dollar and offers upward mobility. You just have to put up with their garbage while you work for them.

Reactions: jbob
It's clear Jimbo has an hyperactive mind - highly intelligent yet quickly frustrated, jumps from subject to subject even so his mouth can't keep up with his brain, talks innovation but is most comfortable in his conventional routines.

Nick is more of an over bearing control freak who is unable satisfy himself.

And Jimbo brought that sick pud, Malik (I’m going rape yo mama) Henry to Tallahassee.
And the other quarterback that got kicked off the team for punching that girl in the face and that other quarterback that was pulling pounds of pot from S. Florida and that other quarterback who kept giving us a black-eye nationally for rape, stealing crab cakes, and standing on the chair in the Student Union yelling, “f@ck them in the p¥ssy.”

Tell em how you really feel 😂

Cliff notes;

Pretty simple really… Saban called out Jimbo for basically buying 5 stars, which he did. Jimbo’s ego couldn’t handle it, so he got defensive.

He didn’t break any rules, which he said, but he didn’t deny Saban’s claims either. He also lied his ass off for saying he didn’t know what a collective is. When Jimbo gets called out, he acts like a petulant child.

Cliff notes;

Or. “Yeah, I plan on being a Miami Dolphin forever”. :)
Understand why he didn’t, cause he said that to us too.

Reactions: jbob

Can you expand on the Malik Henry part? That's the first time I've heard that. I knew he was a poor teammate.

Reactions: misswebbsilverchief

Is what it is!
Jimbo has integrity and character? Who knew??

Cliff notes;

I chuckled at the Jimbo being creative part

Karlos didnt seem to work on any other team either, I wonder if jimbo was lax on him too?

Would also think a QB coach would know what a WR looks like, but apparently not.

Apple didn’t fall far from the tree. Fishers words ring hollow and now he’s stirred up a hornets nest inside the sec. Going to the fun watching some of these games this year.

Both are egotistical, overly-competitive and narcissistic men who are not only willing to bend and break rules to win, but they also live comfortably in a world of plausible deniability.

Better stated, Jimbo figured out a competitive advantage over the king of competitive advantages, and Saban didn’t like it.

Saban was an average Joe in the NFL because he could not rig the system in his favor. Saban rigged the college football system at Bama to give himself a competitive advantage, until now.
Pretty much nailed it there.

I remember when Saban (when coaching the Dolphins) said "I am not going to be the coach at Alabama." And like the next day, he was the coach at Alabama LOL.

He knew that by going to Alabama, he would have ALL of the advantages. He already knew how the SEC operated by coaching at LSU. He just took his system to Bama and it's obviously worked out beautifully for him. Bama isn't going away. They'll figure out a way to deal with how A&M is operating. His message wasn't a personal attack on Jimbo. He was basically telling his boosters that they have to do better with NIL. They'll do it.

Reactions: rpcfsu

believe it was crab legs, not cakes :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT