ADVERTISEMENT

Alexa hacking

seminole97

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jun 14, 2005
link

“A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon's Alexa -- the voice-controlled smart speaker -- and that the recorded audio was sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the family’s contact list.”

Internet of Things should be a boon for the IT security biz...

Reactions: Random_John
link

“A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon's Alexa -- the voice-controlled smart speaker -- and that the recorded audio was sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the family’s contact list.”

Internet of Things should be a boon for the IT security biz...
Now why in the heck would amazon not go ahead and refund her for the devices and are making her fight to do that? Sheesh the common sense customer service approach is lacking by companies that are more than able to deal with the profit loss on this.

Also, it sounds like it wasn't just some random person but rather a person on their contact list that at least knew them which could have been worse had they been talking about that person.

The Amazon Fire devices have Alexa capability but I would assume they're immune to this issue since you have to press the remote to initiate it each time.

I've got Google Assistant built into my Nvidia Shield that's connected to my tv, but I don't use it. For some reason I am uncomfortable talking to my appliances.

Because I like saying “Alexa, read me the news” after I get out of the shower.

But that thing is record ALL THE TIME, I don't know about you, but there have been conversations at my house that could have been used against me.

I just recently watched this documentary:

Pretty !@#$ed up what the government did...........and you can add MIT into as well.

Isn't there a belief that your cell phones also do this and have this capability especially many of the apps you have installed. Are people going to be ditching their cell phones?

Reactions: dmm5157
Isn't there a belief that your cell phones also do this and have this capability especially many of the apps you have installed. Are people going to be ditching their cell phones?

My Galaxy S8 has Bixby, but I turned EVERYTHING connected to it off..........even if you hit the button, that damn thing doesn't come on.

My Galaxy S8 has Bixby, but I turned EVERYTHING connected to it off..........even if you hit the button, that damn thing doesn't come on.

It's still listening, even if you have it switched off. You haven't switched off its ability to observe, only to follow commands and interact with you.

You'd have to uninstall Bixby and everything Google has and disable microphone all together, which is completely pointless in a cell phone.

That, or go with a non-smart phone.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
So, are we headed to a dystopian 1984 society where every single thing we do is always watched and heard?

PwZSxfC.jpg

Since Samsung locks their phones, you cannot uninstall so yes it will be disabled from you using it. That doesn't mean it cannot still run on its own.

I get that, but I've read that when disabled it doesn't listen any longer..........if you have something different, I'd love to read.

And it sucks we can't use that button for anything else.

I get that, but I've read that when disabled it doesn't listen any longer..........if you have something different, I'd love to read.

And it sucks we can't use that button for anything else.

The thing is, there is no way to know what it can or cannot do. That's one of the frustrating realities of some of the things we surround ourselves with. Years from now, we'll likely find out that we were all subjected to multiple apps that were listening without our permission, etc. Takes time to weed through. Just like the Smart TV's with video cameras and microphones that everyone was realizing was actually listening in the entire time.

It's the risk we all take for convenience and technology. Some we can control, some we cannot.

Turns out it wasn’t hacking, it was a happy little accident:

“Amazon explained the series of events that triggered the episode in an emailed statement. The Echo woke after hearing a word in the couple’s conversation that sounded like "Alexa" -- the usual trigger to begin recording. The speaker later heard "send message" during the conversation, at which point the device asked, "to whom?" The pair continued talking in the background and the Echo’s system interpreted part of the chat to identify a name in the couple’s contact list. Alexa then asked aloud if they wanted to send a message to that contact and heard "right" in more background conversation.

"As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely," the company said.”

And Siri wakes up if you say something similar like "seriously". Phones are always listening......there are eyes and ears everywhere. Ooooooooh. ;)

It doesn't matter devices or not. If you have ever gotten a vaccine. Those are really injections for the government to listen and track your every move. Especially that flu vaccine one. Or so I had someone tell me for their reason to not get the flu vaccine.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Turns out it wasn’t hacking, it was a happy little accident:

“Amazon explained the series of events that triggered the episode in an emailed statement. The Echo woke after hearing a word in the couple’s conversation that sounded like "Alexa" -- the usual trigger to begin recording. The speaker later heard "send message" during the conversation, at which point the device asked, "to whom?" The pair continued talking in the background and the Echo’s system interpreted part of the chat to identify a name in the couple’s contact list. Alexa then asked aloud if they wanted to send a message to that contact and heard "right" in more background conversation.

"As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely," the company said.”

I find this explanation by Amazon false.
I have one that I use strictly to play music. If I say " Alexa, play x song" and then it doesn't recognize the song, it shuts off within a couple seconds and I have to say "Alexa, play x song" again.
If they were far away from it I find it hard to believe that it would recognize the conversation Half the time I say play x song it doesn't recognize the song. If they were close to it how the heck didn't they hear it talking to them?

Reactions: goldmom
I find this explanation by Amazon false.
I have one that I use strictly to play music. If I say " Alexa, play x song" and then it doesn't recognize the song, it shuts off within a couple seconds and I have to say "Alexa, play x song" again.
If they were far away from it I find it hard to believe that it would recognize the conversation Half the time I say play x song it doesn't recognize the song. If they were close to it how the heck didn't they hear it talking to them?

What if the guy in their contact list got to hear a full throated argument where they weren't paying attention to the crying kids, the barking dog, or Alexa?

I imagine they hang onto the verbal triggers for much longer than everything else they record. No idea if they upload that as well, nor how long they hold things shorter term.

In the process of rolling out interview recording systems statewide that include IP cameras with built in SD cards that serve as a roughly 36 hour backup, regardless of whether anyone initiates a recording at the switch or with the software. They use them in police stations as well, and they'll even turn off recorders laying on the desk for an 'off the record' conversation...

LAZY. Alexa, wipe my arse. Alexa, tell me what I should do today. Alexa, my fat butt can’t get up and turn on the lights or adjust my thermostat. Alexa, listen to everything I say. Not a fan of this, but just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT