ADVERTISEMENT

Am I in the wrong if I enjoy seeing Mariota lose?

MDNYNole04

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2017
I don't know, but I just can't shake my hate for Marcus Mariota. I think it's just because this guy was the trophy child of CFB while Jameis was the whipping boy. Folks cheered for him just because they wanted to cheer against Jameis and FSU. All throughout the draft process folks were searching for reasons to draft Mariota first, and have been constantly slanting stats to benefit Mariota since they've been in the league.

And now, I constantly feel like people are just waiting for Jameis to fail and have reasons to boost Mariota as the gem of the 2015 class. So, for me, I just love to see this altar boy suck it up. If that makes me a bad person, I guess I'm a bad person.

Don't "not" like Marcus if your motivation is based solely on proving all the naysayers wrong that said MM was a better pick than JW.

I am over it, I wish the best for MM now. It's the Oregon fans I have little respect for, they are mountain goats that can tie their shoes .

MM is a great guy and can spin it, I like watching him play, so let it go.

th

I don't care for him either....

Reactions: MDNYNole04
I feel the same way as the OP. It's certainly nothing personal against MM, just didn't and don't like the way Jameis was/has been treated in comparison. I also believe Jameis is the far superior QB. Time will tell on that. It's almost the same with Tebow. By all accounts he is a good dude (my cousin works directly for him at his foundation), but I can't get past wanting him to fail at every sports endeavor he attempts. I'm one for one so far : )

I don't know, but I just can't shake my hate for Marcus Mariota. I think it's just because this guy was the trophy child of CFB while Jameis was the whipping boy. Folks cheered for him just because they wanted to cheer against Jameis and FSU. All throughout the draft process folks were searching for reasons to draft Mariota first, and have been constantly slanting stats to benefit Mariota since they've been in the league.

And now, I constantly feel like people are just waiting for Jameis to fail and have reasons to boost Mariota as the gem of the 2015 class. So, for me, I just love to see this altar boy suck it up. If that makes me a bad person, I guess I'm a bad person.

If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right!

I root against Mariotta.

I'm a Jags fan so there's that.

But Mariotta wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs if he was the Nole QB in 2014.

Reactions: gsbnole

I wouldnt say he sucked it up. 25-41 256 yrds 0 TDs 0 INTs 1 rushing TD. The red zone offense struggled and the running game didnt do much, but Marcus looked pretty decent for the most part, especially considering it is just week one. He was better than a lot of QBs throughout the league today.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say he sucked it up. 25-41 256 yrds 0 TDs 0 INTs 1 rushing TD. The red zone offense struggled and the running game didnt do much, but Marcus looked pretty decent for the most part, especially considering it is just week one.
0-1 is all that matters though and that's what I meant. He's the leader of the team, gets the praise when they win and fault when they lose. That's what being a QB in the NFL is whether right or wrong, and why they're paid as such. Also, I would call no passing TDs sucking it up. Modern day NFL, you better learn to pass the ball and score in this league if you want to succeed.

Speaking of good Tebow hate, this made me spit out my coffee yesterday. Knowing that's on air e

0-1 is all that matters though and that's what I meant. He's the leader of the team, gets the praise when they win and fault when they lose. That's what being a QB in the NFL is whether right or wrong, and why they're paid as such. Also, I would call no passing TDs sucking it up. Modern day NFL, you better learn to pass the ball and score in this league if you want to succeed.

But you were acting as if he was horrible, he wasnt. I mean, did you see the QB play around the league this week? In general, it wasnt very good. Defenses are almost always ahead of offenses in week 1, and the Raiders have a pretty solid defense to begin with. Yes, he (and the Titans in general), could have been better, but he wasnt terrible in the least.

ANd he threw for 256 yards. He threw it just fine, especially considering two of his top targets missed all of training camp and he has never really played with before.

Marcus could have talked smack after the ducks curb stomped us at any press conference or interview
but he was respectful and for that.. I don't hate him

Don't necessarily like him either..

I project my hate and anger onto ALL the people who cheered for him
just because they wanted to cheer against Jameis and FSU.

ALL the folks who were searching for reasons to draft Mariota first, and have been constantly slanting stats to benefit Mariota since they've been in the league.

I suppose in that sense
I'm a REALLY bad person

anakin_skywalker_fate_wallpaper_1400x900_by_jaxparabellum-d4s178i.jpg

Reactions: Tryit1time
Marcus could have talked smack after the ducks curb stomped us at any press conference or interview
but he was respectful and for that.. I don't hate him

Don't necessarily like him either..

I project my hate and anger onto ALL the people who cheered for him
just because they wanted to cheer against Jameis and FSU.

ALL the folks who were searching for reasons to draft Mariota first, and have been constantly slanting stats to benefit Mariota since they've been in the league.

I suppose in that sense
I'm a REALLY bad person

anakin_skywalker_fate_wallpaper_1400x900_by_jaxparabellum-d4s178i.jpg
I root for him to do poorly. Love it when I see an average pass attempt of under 10 yards per pass and several ints.

I root for him to do poorly. Love it when I see an average pass attempt of under 10 yards per pass and several ints.

He was 4th in the league last year in yards per completion and has only thrown 19 ints his in his career. So the games you are talking have been few and far between.

Last edited:
The bottom line Winston is a better QB than Mariota and that is rather obvious. Winston is not just a great QB but is an incredibly inspiring leader. Quiet choir boy QB's don't have a great history in the NFL. Players play better for fiery QB's. Mariota is a very nice person but so is Winston who had to endure the worst character assassination I have seen in my lifetime for an amateur athlete. The faux PC world still hasn't gotten over it and that is disgusting and repulsive.

The bottom line Winston is a better QB than Mariota and that is rather obvious. Winston is not just a great QB but is an incredibly inspiring leader. Quiet choir boy QB's don't have a great history in the NFL. Players play better for fiery QB's. Mariota is a very nice person but so is Winston who had to endure the worst character assassination I have seen in my lifetime for an amateur athlete. The faux PC world still hasn't gotten over it and that is disgusting and repulsive.

It isn't obvious at all. I think they have both had good starts to their careers, and I expect both to have good careers, but at this point neither has "obviously" been better than the other. I do think it is rather premature to say Winston is a "great" QB though.

And plenty of quiet QBs have had success in the NFL. Not sure where that line of thinking comes from, because it quite simply isn't true.

Last edited:
Reactions: PANole1
It isn't obvious at all. I think they have both had good starts to their careers, and I expect both to have good careers, but at this point neither has "obviously" been better than the other. I do think it is rather premature to say Winston is a "great" QB though.

And plenty of quiet QBs have had success in the NFL. Not sure where that line of thinking comes from, because it quite simply isn't true.

we will choose to disagree.... You can have Mariota, I will take Winston every time.

Most of Mariota's success is being in non- traditional NFL system that is geared to his ability.

At this conjecture I don't see him as a Tom Brady, Peyton or Eli Manning,Drew Brees, Matt Ryan Rothes, Aaron Rogers,etc type QB.

He may become sort of Russell Wilson ,Cam Newton or Kaepernick like ( who he most resembles)

At one time the running QB fad ( with Vick as the bell cow seemed to be preferred) I don't believe that is the case any more. I remain concerned of Mariota's fragility in taking hits sitting back in the pocket. Tenn has set up a good pair of power RBs and that helps tremendously.

Put another way without a running game his weaknesses are rather apparent IMHO ,

we will choose to disagree.... You can have Mariota, I will take Winston every time.

Most of Mariota's success is being in non- traditional NFL system that is geared to his ability.

At this conjecture I don't see him as a Tom Brady, Peyton or Eli Manning,Drew Brees, Matt Ryan Rothes, Aaron Rogers,etc type QB.

He may become sort of Russell Wilson ,Cam Newton or Kaepernick like ( who he most resembles)

At one time the running QB fad ( with Vick as the bell cow seemed to be preferred) I don't believe that is the case any more. I remain concerned of Mariota's fragility in taking hits sitting back in the pocket. Tenn has set up a good pair of power RBs and that helps tremendously.

Put another way without a running game his weaknesses are rather apparent IMHO ,

And all this is fine, but this is all your opinion. Plenty of people disagree. I don't care if you think Winston is better, but to say it is obvious is simply wrong. They have both been good, and will likely both continue to be good. But by what measure is it obvious that Winston is a superior QB? It isn't obvious based on stats, they both have losing records for their careers, neither has been in the playoffs much less done anything in the playoffs. So, again, if you think Winston is slightly better, or will be better going forward that is fine, but to say he is obviously better at this point is quite a stretch.

Mariota runs a traditional NFL system. I am not sure where this idea comes from that the Titans are running some sort of college system or a system built on QB runs. It simply isn't true. He had 2 designed runs last week, and I think he scrambled once, which is pretty consistent with what he did last year (he had 60 rushes last year, avg of 4 a game) I would hardly consider 3 rushes as a running QB.

I get the feeling the people haven't really seen many Titans games and then just come up with what they think they are doing with Mariota. Which, if you aren't in the Nashville market, is understandable if you haven't seen many games. His game actually resembles Aaron Rodgers more than any of the QBs you mentioned. Obviously, he isn't at Rodgers level at this point by any means, but the way he plays is much closer to Rodgers than it is Newton or Wilson or Kaepernick.

And all this is fine, but this is all your opinion. Plenty of people disagree. I don't care if you think Winston is better, but to say it is obvious is simply wrong. They have both been good, and will likely both continue to be good. But by what measure is it obvious that Winston is a superior QB? It isn't obvious based on stats, they both have losing records for their careers, neither has been in the playoffs much less done anything in the playoffs. So, again, if you think Winston is slightly better, or will be better going forward that is fine, but to say he is obviously better at this point is quite a stretch.

Mariota runs a traditional NFL system. I am not sure where this idea comes from that the Titans are running some sort of college system or a system built on QB runs. It simply isn't true. He had 2 designed runs last week, and I think he scrambled once, which is pretty consistent with what he did last year (he had 60 rushes last year, avg of 4 a game) I would hardly consider 3 rushes as a running QB.

I get the feeling the people haven't really seen many Titans games and then just come up with what they think they are doing with Mariota. Which, if you aren't in the Nashville market, is understandable if you haven't seen many games. His game actually resembles Aaron Rodgers more than any of the QBs you mentioned. Obviously, he isn't at Rodgers level at this point by any means, but the way he plays is much closer to Rodgers than it is Newton or Wilson or Kaepernick.

I agree it's not obvious that Winston is better. It does appear he's asked to do more, but the whole hatred of either player is silly. In principle, people who root against Mariota are no different than those who root against Winston.

Winston went 6-10 his first year Mariota went 3-13 his first year

The NFC south is a tougher division than the AFC south It is Mariota and 3 teams that currently are lacking at the QB position, If Luck ever plays again Colts might continue their mastery of Tennessee.

Mariota's system may not look as non traditional as I have asserted but his weakness remains as a pocket passer and he is fragile.
Hey I don't dislike Mariota I just think Winston has the bigger upside and I don't believe it is as close as you infer.

That I project WInston as obviously better may be a bit premature and more based on personality than actual stats.

Winston still needs to work on his deep throws but I thought he looked pretty good against Chicago after such a long layoff. Mariota rebounded nicely against the QB less jags with a win after losing to Oakland at home. The Seahawks should be a decent test though they seem to be slipping offensively.

Winston went 6-10 his first year Mariota went 3-13 his first year

The NFC south is a tougher division than the AFC south It is Mariota and 3 teams that currently are lacking at the QB position, If Luck ever plays again Colts might continue their mastery of Tennessee.

Mariota's system may not look as non traditional as I have asserted but his weakness remains as a pocket passer and he is fragile.
Hey I don't dislike Mariota I just think Winston has the bigger upside and I don't believe it is as close as you infer.

That I project WInston as obviously better may be a bit premature and more based on personality than actual stats.

Winston still needs to work on his deep throws but I thought he looked pretty good against Chicago after such a long layoff. Mariota rebounded nicely against the QB less jags with a win after losing to Oakland at home. The Seahawks should be a decent test though they seem to be slipping offensively.

I am still not getting why you think he is weak as a pocket passer. For his career, he has a 61.4 completion %, 46 TDs to only 20 INTs, 12.3 yards per catch, and a rating of 92.8. And seeing as the vast majority of his passes are from the pocket, I am confused as to how that translates to being a weak pocket passer. Those are very good #s, especially for someone just entering his 3rd year.

And I don't think a 3 game difference in their rookie years means anything at all. Peyton Manning went 3-13 his rookie year too, but I don't think any one uses that when making any type of point about his career. The reality, is that neither Mariota or Winston has done anything from a "winning" standpoint as of yet. Not either of their fault by any means, both came in on bad teams, but at the same time, we can't give them credit for something that hasn't happened.

Last edited:
I am still not getting why you think he is weak as a pocket passer. For his career, he has a 61.4 completion %, 46 TDs to only 20 INTs, 12.3 yards per catch, and a rating of 92.8. And seeing as the vast majority of his passes are from the pocket, I am confused as to how that translates to being a weak pocket passer. Those are very good #s, especially for someone just entering his 3rd year.

And I don't think a 3 game difference in their rookie years means anything at all. Peyton Manning went 3-13 his rookie year too, but I don't think any one uses that when making any type of point about his career. The reality, is that neither Mariota or Winston has done anything from a "winning" standpoint as of yet. Not either of their fault by any means, both came in on bad teams, but at the same time, we can't give them credit for something that hasn't happened.

Perhaps because until Tennessee he never played in a NFL style pocket passing offense?

I give Winston the edge by the fact that he is a traditional NFL style QB. Also, I think he is a far more inspiring leader. Some prefer the quiet types that never show emotion, I am not one of those.

Winston has had to endure the most vicious character assassination I have ever seen in CFB or any amateur sport. He is still suffering nationally from that most unfair narrative. Mariota has never faced such scrutiny. It remains to be seen how he will hold up when faced with real adversity.

As long as he has those 2 big rbs diverting attention from him he will probably be fine. You are sold on him. I am not. Viva la Difference!

Reactions: Tryit1time
Perhaps because until Tennessee he never played in a NFL style pocket passing offense?
I give Winston the edge by the fact that he is a traditional NFL style QB. Also, I think he is a far more inspiring leader. Some prefer the quiet types that never show emotion, I am not one of those.

Winston has had to endure the most vicious character assassination I have ever seen in CFB or any amateur sport. He is still suffering nationally from that most unfair narrative. Mariota has never faced such scrutiny. It remains to be seen how he will hold up when faced with real adversity.

As long as he has those 2 big rbs diverting attention from him he will probably be fine. You are sold on him. I am not. Viva la Difference!

I am not sure why what he did before the NFL matters. Nobody judges an NFL players career based on what they did in college. If they did, Tom Brady would be someone who cant hold down a starting job, and Matt Leinart and Tim Tebow would be HOF QBs, but of course nobody is going to look at Brady's career and think about how he couldnt hold down the starting job at Michigan. THey are going to look at it thinking he is one of, if not the best of all time.

And it is fine you prefer Winston. Again, I think they are both good and will both continue to be good. I am just saying, Mariota is not running some sort of gimmicky college system, which it seems is what you think he is running.

And as far as leadership styles, obviously various types of personalities can win. I mean Brady is pretty fiery and has obviously been great, but Eli, Flacco, Rodgers, Russell Wilson etc all have pretty calm demeanors and have all won SBs. as well.

Last edited:
Down to the demeanor issue on leadership now...surely a sign that one doesn't know what a pro locker room is like in any way, shape or form. Cubs is right.

Down to the demeanor issue on leadership now...surely a sign that one doesn't know what a pro locker room is like in any way, shape or form. Cubs is right.

Yeah, there is a fine line in the pro's when taking on a more spirited approach to leadership. It is one thing to be the ra-ra type, but if that crosses over into embarrassing guys or getting under their skin it can easily become a problem. Grown men making millions of dollars aren't going to handle it the same way an 18 or 19 year old college kid who just got to a bigger stage is going to handle it. Brady can get away with it because he is the most successful QB of all time, but younger guys who havent done much yet better be careful with it. In saying that, I think Jameis is fine with how he carries himself up to this point, but Mariota's personality is perfectly suited for the NFL as well.

No Cubs just has a different opinion. No one is right or wrong until many more years of their careers are observed.

I would love to see how Winston would do with two RB's like Mariota has.

No Cubs just has a different opinion. No one is right or wrong until many more years of their careers are observed.

I would love to see how Winston would do with two RB's like Mariota has.

It is an opinion with regards to what you prefer, it is not an opinion that plenty of guys with calm demeanors have been successful.

And I would like to see how Mariota would do with Mike Evans and now Deshaun Jackson as targets. Hopefully Cory Davis can fill that void, but his hamstring has me a bit concerned.

It is an opinion with regards to what you prefer, it is not an opinion that plenty of guys with calm demeanors have been successful.

And I would like to see how Mariota would do with Mike Evans and now Deshaun Jackson as targets. Hopefully Cory Davis can fill that void, but his hamstring has me a bit concerned.

No the opinion is not just based on demeanor. I believe Winston is a better QB. I think Mariota is too fragile and he still shows problems when asked to stay in the pocket. Just doesn't look that comfortable from my view. I do admit it helps that he resides in the weakest division in the NFL. Mariota was helped immensely in his 2nd year of the draft by the Titans finishing 2nd from the bottom again.

You believe Mariota is superior to Winston. correct? I disagree. It remains to be seen at this conjecture who is right or wrong.

No the opinion is not just based on demeanor. I believe Winston is a better QB. I think Mariota is too fragile and he still shows problems when asked to stay in the pocket. Just doesn't look that comfortable from my view. I do admit it helps that he resides in the weakest division in the NFL. Mariota was helped immensely in his 2nd year of the draft by the Titans finishing 2nd from the bottom again.

You believe Mariota is superior to Winston. correct? I disagree. It remains to be seen at this conjecture who is right or wrong.

Division games only account for 6 out of 16 games. Playing in a weak division doesnt really mean that much. It's not like college where 2/3s of a schedule is conference play. But also in saying that, Houston had the top defense in the NFL last year and Jacksonville was 6th in total yards. The defenses in the division have been good, outside of the Colts, so he certainly hasnt been playing against bad defenses. The Titans also beat more playoff teams last year than any team in the league, so the weak division talk is pretty meaningless.

And I am not saying he is better necessarily, I am saying they have been pretty equal. I think an argument can be made that either has been slightly better, but there is certainly no consensus that one is obviously better. I would personally probably give Mariota the slight edge, due to Winston's struggles with INTs at times, but I can certainly see an argument that Jameis has been slightly better as well.

Also, I think he is a far more inspiring leader. Some prefer the quiet types that never show emotion, I am not one of those.

I responded to this part, not their potential career numbers. You can have a personality preference but it's pure folly to think demeanor is a type-set version of "leadership". Plenty of incredible leaders are not outwardly fiery, which is all Cubs and I said. Plenty of people will run through a brick wall for a quiet guy just as much as a vocal one.

Anyone who's been there knows it, so no it's not an opinion. FTR, I hope Winston has a tremendous career and think he can.

He plays for the titans and helped hand Jameis his ONLY loss as a Nole(starter). So yes, keep it up.

I responded to this part, not their potential career numbers. You can have a personality preference but it's pure folly to think demeanor is a type-set version of "leadership". Plenty of incredible leaders are not outwardly fiery, which is all Cubs and I said. Plenty of people will run through a brick wall for a quiet guy just as much as a vocal one.

Anyone who's been there knows it, so no it's not an opinion. FTR, I hope Winston has a tremendous career and think he can.

Anyone who's been there knows it, so no it's not an opinion.

No that is just an opinion. I like quiet leaders and emotional leaders... JMO but in a violent sport like football emotion is contagious. That being said if it is BS it won't sell. What type works depends entirely on the individual and how they receive that emotion. Body language can be difficult to transmit without emotion.

I have seen coaches screaming like mad men and it is a huge turn off for me. Inspiration comes in many different forms and is received differently by each person.

Again, I find Winston's enthusiasm contagious and inspiring. Mariota comes off as a dead fish even if he is on fire inside. I do believe he has a better supporting cast for the way the offense is designed for him.
The Bucs still don't have a running game and that makes Winston's job much harder.

2 weeks ago Mariota was better. This week Winston was better..

Anyone who's been there knows it, so no it's not an opinion.

No that is just an opinion. I like quiet leaders and emotional leaders... JMO but in a violent sport like football emotion is contagious. That being said if it is BS it won't sell. What type works depends entirely on the individual and how they receive that emotion. Body language can be difficult to transmit without emotion.

Making something out of nothing...by all means keep reading stuff into things that aren't being said. It's all good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT