ADVERTISEMENT

Amazon HQ2

TripTych

Starter
Apr 22, 2003
Who gets it? Should be announcing in the next month or so.

City/Metro Pop/Avg Home price

ATLANTA 5,789,700 $204,300
AUSTIN, TEXAS 2,056,405 $296,400
BOSTON 4,794,447 $464,100
CHICAGO 9,512,999 $255,600
COLUMBUS, OHIO 2,041,520 $193,900
DALLAS 7,233,323 $249,000
DENVER 2,853,077 $418,100
INDIANAPOLIS 2,004,230 $173,700
LOS ANGELES 13,310,447 $595,100
MIAMI 6,066,387 $340,000
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MD. 6,131,977* $408,500*
NASHVILLE 1,865,298 $234,300
NEW YORK CITY 20,153,634 $419,100
NEWARK, N.J. 20,153,634† $403,300
NORTHERN VIRGINIA 6,131,977* $408,500*
PHILADELPHIA 6,070,500 $238,900
PITTSBURGH 2,342,299** $139,100
RALEIGH, N.C. 1,302,946 $267,500
TORONTO 5,928,040** $597,625
WASHINGTON , D.C. 6,131,977 $408,700

ATL, DC area, or CHI

I'm hoping ATL to jack up housing values and for the political impact it has on the state.

Executives do not chose locations because they are building a house in the area, it has to meet certain criteria, so I disagree with DC. There's not enough tech talent, too expensive already, and there's not an urban environment they can transform, per their RFP.

Raleigh does not have the infrastructure to handle 50k employees.

I think Amazon is coming to Atlanta. They will be in old AT&T building in Midtown to start (RFP says they need 500k-1mil by 2019), and build out their campus in the Gulch.

Nashville voters killed the transit proposal in May, dealing a serious blow to their chances. That said, I don't see how any metro area below, say 5 million people, can absorb a hit of that order of magnitude to their job and housing markets. That leaves Atlanta, Boston, LA, Dallas, Philly, DC, NYC, Chicago and Toronto as the only legitimate contenders.

I thought popular theory is that Chicago would get it.

Executives do not chose locations because they are building a house in the area, it has to meet certain criteria, so I disagree with DC. There's not enough tech talent, too expensive already, and there's not an urban environment they can transform, per their RFP.

I think Amazon is coming to Atlanta. They will be in old AT&T building in Midtown to start (RFP says they need 500k-1mil by 2019), and build out their campus in the Gulch.

Why did you ask if you have already made up your mind

I'd like them to come to Atlanta, but I don't think they view the State Government favorably. I think this works against NC, as well.

Reactions: 89nole
I'd like them to come to Atlanta, but I don't think they view the State Government favorably. I think this works against NC, as well.

I think our state has a great pro-business climate. We had the Cagle issues with Delta, but Deal has really done a fantastic job.

You will see how favorably people view our state (and city) government tomorrow. Should be a pretty big announcement for a non-tech company moving to the COA, and relatively unthinkable just a few years ago.

I think our state has a great pro-business climate. We had the Cagle issues with Delta, but Deal has really done a fantastic job.

You will see how favorably people view our state (and city) government tomorrow. Should be a pretty big announcement for a non-tech company moving to the COA, and relatively unthinkable just a few years ago.
Will be curious how people view the state after the general in Nov. One of the candidates for gov could make it a pretty undesirable (and maybe unfriendly) place to live for the type of folks companies like Amazon need to hire.

If folks found some of the policies in NC a couple years ago to be unbecoming, this guy's rhetoric makes that seem like pattycake.

ATL was at the top of the list until Georgia went all in on the gun rights issue with Delta.

Think it will be Northern Virginia area.

Reactions: cfbfan23

I think Amazon realizes Deal won't be governor. And they've probably been looking at the republican primary commercials. Look, Atlanta checks a ton of the boxes for Amazon, but the State makes most of the important social laws. This will play heavily into the final decision. Just my opinion. I want them here.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Northern Virginia by Dulles and route 28, where Loudon and Prince William Counties meet.

Praying that it’s Pittsburgh. Would love what they’d mean to the area (and I’m aware that “bad” things will come, but the good will outweigh the bad, by far, IMO).

Dallas (Frisco) believes it has a strong chance from the last bits I read (admittedly, months ago). Central location, decent enough cost of living (for now), affordable home prices (again, for now), hub to large airline (not including SWA since they still have direct flight limitations), already a large amount of left-coasters relocated.

I think the primary contenders at this point are DC/N VA, Atlanta, and Boston along a couple central locations like Chicago or Austin having an outside chance. I heard from a friend that works at Amazon that they would like a Hub in the eastern time zone to better coincide with the European work day so the eastern locations have an advantage from a time perspective.

In the end, it will come down to cost (more expensive in DC and Boston) and how much tax incentives they can extract from wherever they land.

I haven't followed this closely at all as personally I really don't care where they open another HQ. This kind of reminds me of the Lebron Free Agent debacle before he announced South Beach. Are we sure Amazon isn't going to Miami?

With the above stated, is this truly an Atlanta bid, or is a Georgia bid? Meaning, is the HQ actually going to wind up within the City Limits of Atlanta in Fulton or Dekalb or will it end up out in Gwinnett or Cobb?

From a cost standpoint I can't imagine Atlanta being beat out. Public transit isn't great in Atlanta, but downtown & midtown it is probably good enough. Heck, NCR just moved to a new building in midtown from being located up in Gwinnett.

I am sure the political environment both in GA and ATL will play a part. With all the crap going on with the election, and the new Mayor, I can't picture Amazon being too thrilled with anything politically around here these days.

Deal is handling this as a State of Georgia bid.

All signs point to urban sites in Downtown or Midtown (3rd & Ponce). Most experts would pick the Gulch. There's already a group in the process of redeveloping the area, and would obviously develop to meet Amazon's needs when the time comes.

Amazon wants to remediate an area, as they did in Seattle. The Gulch really is the perfect spot, and would help breath life into a downtown that has been pretty quiet over the past 50 years.

Here's Amazon's current description of why they chose Seattle:
Several years ago, we made a conscious choice to invest in downtown Seattle, even though it would’ve been cheaper for us to move our headquarters to the suburbs. We chose to commit to Seattle because we believed it was the right choice for our employees and for the city.

I certainly hope ATL wins the bid but can't help but think the state is shooting itself in the foot with their cartoon character political rhetoric.

It would certainly give me pause, esp after watching the State House try make a political show of screwing around with Delta.

Political stability is kinda a nice thing to have.

Can Atlanta really handle an additional 40-50,000 employees into and out of downtown every day? Unless Atlanta is still cheap enough for folks to live downtown?

Can Atlanta really handle an additional 40-50,000 employees into and out of downtown every day? Unless Atlanta is still cheap enough for folks to live downtown?
I suppose you'll see more gentrification in south and east Atlanta, continued development in West Midtown.
MARTA is a pretty nice system that goes somewhat unused for reasons that I have yet to understand and it has a couple stops very close to the Gulch.

The roads in ATL are bursting but there are other ways to get around.

I believe it can. Still affordable compared to almost every other city on that list. Once again, I think Atlanta's bid will be undone by Amazon's perception of the folks downtown at the Capitol.

I suppose you'll see more gentrification in south and east Atlanta, continued development in West Midtown.
MARTA is a pretty nice system that goes somewhat unused for reasons that I have yet to understand and it has a couple stops very close to the Gulch.

The roads in ATL are bursting but there are other ways to get around.

The ares in east Atlanta is almost completely gentrified. The movement of cleaning up the areas around the stadium into west downtown is currently underway. That area will be completely transformed over the next 5-10 years.

MARTA is an excellent asset, which is why I give Atlanta the nod over Raleigh or Austin. Atlanta has the infrastructure in place and the size to absorb that many new residents. And are currently in the process of adding large swaths of residences in the Midtown area. Additionally, the city will be adding a pretty intense transit network within the City.

As to the politics, maybe, but I think Georgia is purple now and with an abundance of new residents, AMZN will be able to tip the scales in their favor. Regardless, I'm sure the final agreement will have stipulations on the possibilities the incentives cannot be revoked. Deal has been good for the state, and I think they can overlook some of the shenanigans and hope to have influence over the decisions the city makes in the future.

Move them into the Center of Tallahassee. That Mall could use something big as retail surely isn't going in there.

Reactions: GoNolesTX

Do you think Brian Kemp winning the republican nominee tips the scales against Atlanta? I would think so. Kemp seems like, with the gun ads and immigration stance, that he wouldn't fit in with the progressive style of a Big 4 IT company.
With Kemp we would be more likely to get the next Piggly Wiggly grocery chain.

As to the politics, maybe, but I think Georgia is purple now and with an abundance of new residents, AMZN will be able to tip the scales in their favor. Regardless, I'm sure the final agreement will have stipulations on the possibilities the incentives cannot be revoked. Deal has been good for the state, and I think they can overlook some of the shenanigans and hope to have influence over the decisions the city makes in the future.

I hope I'm wrong but until I see that it in an election I won't believe it that GA is a purple state. Kemp getting the nominee from the republican side confirms this. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Abrams gets waxed in November.

Last edited:
There is theory out there that this is all a rouse by Amazon and they are going to tell WA that they will completely leave play the “need to be on east coast” card and move to operate at the new HQ, pressuring WA to give them pretty much everything they want/major tax breaks/sweetest deal/etc. to stay.

I think Amazon tipped their cap with selecting both NOVA and Montgomery County MD. These two locations are in the same Metropolitan Area and border one another...

I live in DFW area and hope that Amazon doesn't come to this area. Traffic is already out of control and housing costs have had a noticeable bump since Toyota started moving to Plano over the last year.

I met someone from Seattle the other day who moved here who also didn't want Amazon to come here. She said the average sale price of homes in her part of Seattle skyrocketed to over 1.6 million after Amazon opened (and this was for a "rinky dink very basic neighborhood" in her terms)

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I am not a business tycoon but I can't imagine that putting any HQ that size in the DC are is a good idea. The cost of living, traffic, etc. is just horrible. Haven't really paid attention to this; but hope they don't choose Raleigh, I fly into RDU a bunch every year and don't need a bunch amazons clogging up the airport.

Reactions: Urban Cryer
I hope I'm wrong but until I see that it in an election I won't believe it that GA is a purple state. Kemp getting the nominee from the republican side confirms this. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Abrams gets waxed in November.
Ugh, you're probably right but this saddens me. GA is so much better than this (or at least metro ATL).

I hate it for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it could and will scare off potential business growth in the state.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT