ADVERTISEMENT

Another bad fire in N. California

F4Gary

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
Grapevine, Tx
Ironically called the Camp Fire, it has leveled the town of Paradise and is heading for Chico. My niece and a couple friends have most likely lost their homes and the latest evac area is only about a mile from my Mom's assisted living complex in Chico.
T's&P's if you are so inclined.

52342c3e-60a5-422a-b86a-dfc357bc7a71.jpg

Campfire?

Audio and video out of it are insane. Fire started at around 6 am and the town was burning before 8. I’m afraid they’ll recover a lot of bodies after this one. People were abandoning cars and running, 911 calls of schools and hospitals still full of people who needed evacuation.
Ugly.

Wow - it looked like a lot of separate fire. Lot's of glaucoma medicine to burn up there at Chico St.

T's & P's for your mom - many of the fatalities from last year's Napa Valley blazes were elderly, so I would think that massive overhauls to the alarm and evac protocols have been performed in time for this year's Santa Ana season.

It's up to 70,000 acres in a little over 24hrs.
It started on Camp Creek Rd, so that's why it's called the Camp Fire.

Now looking like Malibu is being evacuated and starting to catch fire.

1c377e30-8ea8-44e9-a322-50a2bdaa1b97_screenshot.jpg

That insurance payout will be stiff.

.......My niece and a couple friends have most likely lost their homes and the latest evac area is only about a mile from my Mom's assisted living complex in Chico.

Sorry to hear about the property. Are they all safe?

Audio and video out of it are insane. Fire started at around 6 am and the town was burning before 8. I’m afraid they’ll recover a lot of bodies after this one. People were abandoning cars and running, 911 calls of schools and hospitals still full of people who needed evacuation.
Ugly.

5 already found dead in vehicles.

The town on the left edge of that smoke plume pic is Chico where all my relatives live.
They packed my Mom up last night at about 9pm as they were going to evacuate. She said she could only sit there and wait for word. Then they rescinded the order and she got back to bed about 1am. They are now repopulating the area they evacuated near her complex.
Winds have died down some now too.

Last edited:
Feel especially terrible for Ventura county - having to deal with a mass shooting and a devastating wild fire in the same week.

Hoping for the best for all the good folks in Cali.

Drove up that road just a few months back.
My kids cycling time trial might be canceled tomorrow due to smoke -= and the camp fire is 3 hours away.

Wowzers. That Camp Fire kicked up in a hurry. The Ventura one worries us a bit as our son is far enough away in Sherman Oaks to be safe, but it likely means more will happen in the area. We drove through there in June and it is easy to see how the terrain, underbrush, and Santa Anna winds could be a deadly mix.
Hoping for the best and sad for the tragic events up till now.

We drove through there in June and it is easy to see how the terrain, underbrush, and Santa Anna winds could be a deadly mix.

I've read they're finally coming around on prescribed burns, but I imagine it will take a while to address decades of neglect.

Absolutely tragic. So sad for those folks. How did it start?
I've heard two stories. First I heard it was started by an actual campfire that the wind kicked up. But now I'm reading that it might have been a power line that was blown down by the wind. We'll see.

My niece said her boyfriend's Mom escaped her burning house, jumped in her car to leave, and then her car caught fire...
She got a ride out with someone else.

I've read they're finally coming around on prescribed burns, but I imagine it will take a while to address decades of neglect.
Prescribed burns go on all the time, but you have to understand the vastness of the problem. It will take decades, and during that time....

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I'm not going to post it here but there's an after math video of Paradise where bodies are shown in their cars. That fire must have been moving so fast.

What the president seems to miss is that many of these fires are on private land, or rather having no connection to National Forests. The areas we saw burned last year were fueled by dry undergrowth that sprung up after the rainy season and then became bone dry tinder... think grasses, “weeds”, shrubbery that allow quick movement and generate airborne sparks.
The steep slopes and strong winds help create a perfect scene for quick moving flame storms. Anyone who has ever started a campfire knows that blowing on the flames rapidly increases the intensity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling the current death toll will rise significantly. By the way, the Death Toll of Michael quietly moved over 45 people two weeks ago.

Reactions: BelemNole
I'm not going to post it here but there's an after math video of Paradise where bodies are shown in their cars. That fire must have been moving so fast.

That is characteristic of fires during Santa Ana season, as the winds typically move at about 40 mph. and in the same direction - almost no turbulence to slow them down or diffuse them.

Reactions: BelemNole
No political crap please.

Still looking like my niece's house may have been spared. Her street is not covered by red splotches on the fire maps.

I would agree to keep the political crap out.

That said, the response from the leadership is completely void of empathy, shows a lack of tact and that he is clueless on the cause. Political party has nothing to do with it.

I’m a little more than 75 miles away as the crow flies from Paradise. Today the smoke is blowing this way. You can’t really see the sun, dog has been freaking out, empty house across the street has smoke detectors going off in every room - must have left some windows open. Wife is nervous as the winds are predicted to start up again tonight but that’s just the smoke, that fire can’t really get here. Another fire? There’s always the chance of another fire when the winds are blowing that hard. Videos are going around of the aftermath showing bodies in cars. Won’t be shared here.
So yeah, people are on edge and stupid comments from anyone aren’t appreciated. Stupid comments from someone supposed to lead...

ADVERTISEMENT