ADVERTISEMENT

Anti-Vaxers

Spearhead04

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
What do you say to this crowd? I feel like they are in the same realm of crazy as the folks who believe the earth is flat. My mom is unfortunately part of this group. She was visiting us last week during the birth of our second child and made a comment about how vaccinations could be the cause of a nightmare my older child had. Its scary to me that YouTube has the capability to get people to believe in such crazy theories and think they know more than doctors.

Well if she's a football fan then the analogy of autism being like concussions might work. What I mean is that there aren't more cases of autism (concussions) per se, we have just become better at diagnosing them so it seems like there are more happening now than ever before. Granted there are more people alive than ever before but you know what I mean.

Hell, when I was a Sr in HS and got a concussion I ran one play afterward (went the wrong direction), pulled myself from the game and said nothing to no one and no one said anything to me or even checked on me even after the game or the next week... and I played Qb. That was in 99, there is no way that would happen nowadays.

Well if she's a football fan then the analogy of autism being like concussions might work. What I mean is that there aren't more cases of autism (concussions) per se, we have just become better at diagnosing them so it seems like there are more happening now than ever before. Granted there are more people alive than ever before but you know what I mean.

Hell, when I was a Sr in HS and got a concussion I ran one play afterward (went the wrong direction), pulled myself from the game and said nothing to no one and no one said anything to me or even checked on me even after the game or the next week... and I played Qb. That was in 99, there is no way that would happen nowadays.
Problem is we do know more about concussions long term effects and that’s real. Not sure I’d use that analogy.

Reactions: goldmom
You should tell her she can't come around the newborn until she has the TDAP(whooping cough, etc) vaccine.
Yep. At this point the solution is somewhere between banishment and ridicule, perhaps both.

Almost all of the science that ever advocated for this anti-vaxer idiocy has been refuted. Folks buying into that crap now are simply conspiracy theory dummies stuck in their echo chamber.

The internet has allowed folks to join what amount to cults, without ever leaving their sofa.
At least back in the day it required some actual commitment, moving to some bumbleheck compound with a bunch of smelly nutjobs, and removing yourself from your family.

Really, we don't know enough about the long term effects of vaccines? Wow.
Didn’t say that. We don’t know everything but we know a ton and all the real science says they’re safe. Not perfect but safe, especially given the benefits they provide us.

I said what I said because anti vaxxers would focus on the time we didn’t know concussion effects well and argue soon science will confirm their opinions. Which while not impossible it really really unlikely.

Just let out a sarcastic chuckle when she brings it up, then say "oh, nothing" when she asks what you are laughing about.

It would be much different issue if it were your spouse. Just nod, ignore and move on unless you have a penchant for arguments.

I would take steps in getting custody documentation for naming the guardian of the children in the situation of death of the natural parents.

Reactions: goldmom
Maybe vaccines actually cause pleasant dreams and the nightmare proves your kid needs a booster...I mean if we're throwing out ridiculous theories ask her to disprove yours

When our local pharmacist mentions about getting the flu shot, I always tell him, "Your not gonna put that Devil juice in my body"!

If I remember correctly, we had to provide evidence for the rubeola and rubella vaccinations for FSU. Am I wrong? If so, did that rule change?

If I remember correctly, we had to provide evidence for the rubeola and rubella vaccinations for FSU. Am I wrong? If so, did that rule change?
Saw just saying this today. I had to produce evidence of a number of vaccinations before being allowed to register for classs freshman year. I vividly recall searching for the papers and taking them the health center hoping everything was done so I wouldn’t get stuck w some needles.

Is that no longer the case?
Did k-12 have these requirements? I don’t remember

Did k-12 have these requirements? I don’t remember

FSU paperwork says:

You must provide proof of two combined MMR (measles {rubeola}, mumps, rubella) immunizations.
Hepatitis B is a recommended but not required immunization.
Meningitis is a recommended but not required immunization.
Tetanus-Diptheria (TD) immunization. (This is not a required immunization unless you are an NCAA Athlete.)

Leon County Schools lists the vaccines but has a religious exemption:
  1. Diptheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine
  2. Polio vaccine (IPV)
  3. Measles, mumps, and rubeola vaccine
  4. Varicella vaccine
  5. Haemophilus influenze Type B (Hib) vaccine

A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681 Form).

The DH 681 Form is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious tenets or practices. If a parent requests such an exemption, then the county health department staff must use the current DH 681 Form available electronically in the Florida SHOTS, which the parent affirms a religious conflict exists. This form must be issued upon request. No other information should be solicited from the parent or guardian.

Exemptions for personal or philosophical reasons are not permitted under Florida law.

Reactions: montconole
FSU paperwork says:

You must provide proof of two combined MMR (measles {rubeola}, mumps, rubella) immunizations.
Hepatitis B is a recommended but not required immunization.
Meningitis is a recommended but not required immunization.
Tetanus-Diptheria (TD) immunization. (This is not a required immunization unless you are an NCAA Athlete.)

Leon County Schools lists the vaccines but has a religious exemption:
  1. Diptheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine
  2. Polio vaccine (IPV)
  3. Measles, mumps, and rubeola vaccine
  4. Varicella vaccine
  5. Haemophilus influenze Type B (Hib) vaccine

A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption From Immunization form (DH 681 Form).

The DH 681 Form is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious tenets or practices. If a parent requests such an exemption, then the county health department staff must use the current DH 681 Form available electronically in the Florida SHOTS, which the parent affirms a religious conflict exists. This form must be issued upon request. No other information should be solicited from the parent or guardian.

Exemptions for personal or philosophical reasons are not permitted under Florida law.
Thanks for looking that up.

So in which religions do immunizations violate tenets?

Thanks for looking that up.

So in which religions do immunizations violate tenets?

Christian Science and possibly J. Witnesses don't believe in medicine and illness should be left up to God's will. I honestly don't know how they can sit by when their kids are very sick but then again some groups strap bombs to their kids and blow them up to kill others. Very sad imo.

Christian Science and possibly J. Witnesses don't believe in medicine and illness should be left up to God's will. I honestly don't know how they can sit by when their kids are very sick but then again some groups strap bombs to their kids and blow them up to kill others. Very sad imo.
Sigh... we got billions spent on modern science to do amazing stuff and cure awful diseases and people are just like "nah, we'll just roll the dice and see what happens."

Talk about thrill seekers!

I was raised in the JW religion. Other than refusing blood transfusions they are pretty mainstream on medical issues. I do remember them not being a fan of removing things like tonsils as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT