ADVERTISEMENT

Any iwatch owners?

Dr. Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2002
It looks like my series 2 iwatch has finally bit the dust...I see they are all the way up to the series 7 on them...of course not cheap.
They basically show a series 3, an SE model and the series 7 on the apple site...any advice? Recs?

It looks like my series 2 iwatch has finally bit the dust...I see they are all the way up to the series 7 on them...of course not cheap.
They basically show a series 3, an SE model and the series 7 on the apple site...any advice? Recs?
I like to keep it old school with my watches and haven't gone the tech route quite yet, but I too have been considering an upgrade. I wouldn't get an Apple watch if I took the plunge cause I'm Pixel Gang, but I've been thinking about it nonetheless.

I have a series 5 currently which I actually like. I don't use the whole aspect of it but its good for texts and fitness tracking. You can get the series 5 and 6 on Amazon or just get the SE or 7 from Apple. I have a bunch of old school watches too (Tag, Omega & Breitling) but i like this one for work. I'm thinking of the series 7 but might try the Tag connected this time as its not much more than the top of the line Hermes Series 7.

I have a series 5 currently which I actually like. I don't use the whole aspect of it but its good for texts and fitness tracking. You can get the series 5 and 6 on Amazon or just get the SE or 7 from Apple. I have a bunch of old school watches too (Tag, Omega & Breitling) but i like this one for work. I'm thinking of the series 7 but might try the Tag connected this time as its not much more than the top of the line Hermes Series 7.
I just watched a review of the 7...basically he said its not that much of an improvement over models 4 and up...I may just save the $ and get the 3 that they still sell new for much less.

I just watched a review of the 7...basically he said its not that much of an improvement over models 4 and up...I may just save the $ and get the 3 that they still sell new for much less.
They come out with new versions so often now that it's simply not always worth it to have the latest. In the case of Apple, and to a lesser extent Google, they usually hype their new emoji feature or something equally not important in an effort to brand their "latest and greatest" version, but chances are you would be happy with older versions as well. Good luck!

Reactions: Dr. Nole
My watch face is set with like 9 functions. Time, date, text previews, temperature, noise decibel level, pulse, ecg, blood oxygen level, and heart rate variability meter. You could of course switch those out for 9 others of your liking. Why would you have an old school watch at this point?

Reactions: pitter76
get the 7.

the biggest pitfalls of the apple watch are mostly remedied in the 7. it's battery life is still crap (relative to other watches) but you are used to that with the 2. the charging is very fast on the 7.

the mostly edge to edge display on the screen is a big bonus too vs the large bezels of the 3 and prior.

the EKG function is actually surprisingly good also. that didn't appear until the 4.

if you can find a good price on a 5 that is a good middle ground but otherwise it's worth paying the extra for the 7.

Reactions: pitter76
get the 7.

the biggest pitfalls of the apple watch are mostly remedied in the 7. it's battery life is still crap (relative to other watches) but you are used to that with the 2. the charging is very fast on the 7.

the mostly edge to edge display on the screen is a big bonus too vs the large bezels of the 3 and prior.

the EKG function is actually surprisingly good also. that didn't appear until the 4.

if you can find a good price on a 5 that is a good middle ground but otherwise it's worth paying the extra for the 7.
what does the EKG function actually do?

what does the EKG function actually do?
initially it was used to check for afib only. it's just about exactly as good as the base kardiamobile for that. it works.

since then the software has been expanded and the watch does a much better job now of that with additions of pulse ox (AW6 onwards) and beat to beat HR variability. useful for both health and sporting functions. HRV is a great predictor of form and recovery in athletes.

i personally use a garmin fenix but my wife has an AW4 and an AW7. the 4 is basically shelved now.

also for avid runners the latest AW OS just added a running power function. i still can't wrap my head around running power, but as a cyclist i couldn't imagine riding without knowing my cycling power data anymore. my power data is more important to me than my HR data.

I have a bunch of watches that I rotate. Also have an Apple Watch 3 series that's still working with no problems. No need to upgrade. They're nice to have for texts/emails that you need to respond to but are in the pool, ocean, whatever and don't want to go grab your phone.

I have a couple of expensive watches but my Casio Gshock gets the most wear of all of my watches.

image.png

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed my iwatch over the years...sad that it is just another way that I am always "connected" as gets texts and lets you know your being called on the iphone.
I use it as my alarm clock each day as well.

I have a bunch of watches that I rotate. Also have an Apple Watch 3 series that's still working with no problems. No need to upgrade. They're nice to have for texts/emails that you need to respond to but are in the pool, ocean, whatever and don't want to go grab your phone.

I have a couple of expensive watches but my Casio Gshock gets the most wear of all of my watches.

image.png
I used one of those for years. I still wear an old TAG link most of the time now and save the Omegas and Breitlings for going out and stuff. Not really sure what the point is of having alot of watches but they are cheaper than cars in most cases.

Reactions: PopsNole
I used one of those for years. I still wear an old TAG link most of the time now and save the Omegas and Breitlings for going out and stuff. Not really sure what the point is of having alot of watches but they are cheaper than cars in most cases.
I have a 10 year old Tag Aquaracer. Old Swiss Army diving watch that I actually still really like. 1958 Rolex Oyster Perpetual that I use for nice events and a 2018 Rolex Daytona, which is the most expensive watch I would ever purchase. Tempted to sell it considering it has doubled in value. Only other watch I really want is a Rolex Pepsi.

I have a 10 year old Tag Aquaracer. Old Swiss Army diving watch that I actually still really like. 1958 Rolex Oyster Perpetual that I use for nice events and a 2018 Rolex Daytona, which is the most expensive watch I would ever purchase. Tempted to sell it considering it has doubled in value. Only other watch I really want is a Rolex Pepsi.
I have a Breitling Avenger 2 Seawolf for the water and a Omega Planet Ocean but I just use that one for nice events. I have a Tag Aquaracer Cal 5 and a Cal 5 300M Blue Camo, A Tag Carrera Calibre 16 and a Tag Carrera Muhammed Ali edition. I've always wanted a Rolex cause of the name but I like the Omega, Breitling and Tag styles better not to mention the price.

I have a Breitling Avenger 2 Seawolf for the water and a Omega Planet Ocean but I just use that one for nice events. I have a Tag Aquaracer Cal 5 and a Cal 5 300M Blue Camo, A Tag Carrera Calibre 16 and a Tag Carrera Muhammed Ali edition. I've always wanted a Rolex cause of the name but I like the Omega, Breitling and Tag styles better not to mention the price.
I like all of those but those two are really pretty watches.

No point in going for a Rolex right now. The prices are insane used and the only way to get a retail price is to have an AD that you already spend a lot of money with so there is no real way to get them without a 100%-200% markup. The Pepsi is selling for $23,000-$30,000. 5 years ago you could get them for retail for around $11,000 or so. Sub-Mariners also can't be found anywhere and those were always available pre-Covid.

I have really enjoyed my iwatch over the years...sad that it is just another way that I am always "connected" as gets texts and lets you know your being called on the iphone.
I use it as my alarm clock each day as well.
And will call for help and show location if you should fall.

Never got the watch thing. I have 2 old Seikos, the watch the Air Force issued me, and I daily wear a Casio Waveceptor. It's always correct time wise.

Never got the watch thing. I have 2 old Seikos, the watch the Air Force issued me, and I daily wear a Casio Waveceptor. It's always correct time wise.
Seiko was my first watch and I liked it a lot. I currently have a Movado that I inherited when my grandfather passed, however, the battery needs to be replaced and it could use some cleaning. I may do that at some point pretty soon.

It’s just a collecting based hobby like sneakers, bourbon or whatever just way more expensive. The good thing with the nice watches is they don’t really lose their value if you take care of them.

Reactions: GbrNole
It’s just a collecting based hobby like sneakers, bourbon or whatever just way more expensive. The good thing with the nice watches is they don’t really lose their value if you take care of them.
this is also the downside to smart watches. basically consumables that ideally you time your exit from like upgrading a cell phone.

Reactions: PopsNole
ADVERTISEMENT