ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody a fan of "The Grand Tour" on Amazon

kc78

Seminole Insider
Nov 25, 2002
I thought their first season after leaving Top Gear was not very good last year. It was nice to see the boys back, but the entire show felt stilted and heavily scripted. You could really tell they were being worn down by the restrictions from the BBC and not certain how to proceed.

Season 2 just started last week and if the first episode is any indication, they're back to what they were on the Top Gear. They're not breaking any new ground, but it feels like them at their best again.

Thoughts?

I like it a lot. The daughter and I have been watching Top Gear, and now Grand Tour. We like the cars, and also the relationship/interactions that they have together. We haven't started the second season yet, but we will once schedules free up some.

I'm not into cars, and their sense of humor is mostly not for me. Very occasionally I'll find something amusing, but it's just not in my wheelhouse.

However, I've watched almost every episode, because it is absolutely the most gorgeous show on TV. If you have a 4K HDR tv, it just sings. I'll put it on frequently just to kill 10-20 minutes here or there, or just watch it muted. There's no streaming show that looks that good. I find the video of the cars pretty relaxing.

That said, they did one segment early on in season one where I think it was James May did a straight non-goofy segment on the history of Ferrari racing. That's something I have zero interest in or knowledge of, but I found that to be captivating. He (and/or the producers) did a masterful job of framing and telling and narrating that story. When they occasionally cover something like that I'll sometime perk up. I can understand why people who are into this stuff love the show, even if it's not for me.

Season 1 episode 2...when they are at the war games area. The tall fat one is going down the rope from the helicopter and his pants fall. How CAN'T you laugh at that.

Lou is right, there is no better HDR/4K show anywhere that looks that good, which is also why I started watching it. My son and I watch it now and enjoy it together.

What I cannot tell is where the script ends and where ad lib begins.

Clarkson is an ass. I don't watch for that reason alone.

I gotta say, I really enjoyed Top Gear. But when the whole kerfuffle occurred with Clarkson and they got canceled, I decided I would no longer watch his shows. Wish I could as I like the schtick and am a gearhead, but can't because of him.

I love the show. Clarkson and I have exactly the same taste in cars, and May and I have very similar personalities.

I havent been able to catch the shows once they moved, but to me they have great chemistry that the other Top Gear shows cant match. I tried to watch the American Top Gear and it fell flat to me. Glad to hear that they are back to something of a normal show again

Episode 2 just came out and takes place in the America (I don't enjoy their episodes in the US as much) but it was still good and they introduced their new driver to replace "The American". Abbie Eaton. I don't know much about her as a racer, but she seemed good and was loads better than the schtick of the American.

abf53540d4c17f4691271c30e5d9ecac--v-cars-maserati-granturismo.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT