ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about coronavirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamENole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
May 29, 2002
Causing problems for the NCAA Tournament? Some college players association is already asking for the games to be played with no crowds. Could you even imagine?

And if the US outbreak starts to resemble Italy’s in the next couple weeks I could see them not playing the games at all out of an abundance of caution.

Maybe I should be more concerned than I am about the virus itself killing me or others but for right now... March Madness is my top priority.

Anyone else concerned?

Reactions: Bml07
Causing problems for the NCAA Tournament? Some college players association is already asking for the games to be played with no crowds. Could you even imagine?

And if the US outbreak starts to resemble Italy’s in the next couple weeks I could see them not playing the games at all out of an abundance of caution.

Maybe I should be more concerned than I am about the virus itself killing me or others but for right now... March Madness is my top priority.

Anyone else concerned?

No. Zero. Bring on the dance.

Not at all. Just a lot of hype.

I don’t really disagree that it’s being overblown but I can promise you people are panicked about it. And panic leads to rash decisions. There are cases popping up all over the country right now and it’s only gonna get worse in the next couple weeks.

There seems to be an outbreak in Washington state and there are first round games in Spokane and there were 2 confirmed cases here in Tampa yesterday where we will likely be playing.

It sounds like people can have the thing for 7-14 days without even showing symptoms which is why it’s spreading so fast and hard to stop.

Again I’m not saying the games should be canceled and I sure as hell hope they aren’t but the possibility is definitely there. If this thing F’s up FSU’s best chances for a title in my lifetime....

I don’t really disagree that it’s being overblown but I can promise you people are panicked about it. And panic leads to rash decisions. There are cases popping up all over the country right now and it’s only gonna get worse in the next couple weeks.

There seems to be an outbreak in Washington state and there are first round games in Spokane and there were 2 confirmed cases here in Tampa yesterday where we will likely be playing.

It sounds like people can have the thing for 7-14 days without even showing symptoms which is why it’s spreading so fast and hard to stop.

Again I’m not saying the games should be canceled and I sure as hell hope they aren’t but the possibility is definitely there. If this thing F’s up FSU’s best chances for a title in my lifetime....
Panic is the keyword.

if your lungs and immune system are healthy your chances of death are slim, very slim

I get this and it’s the reason I’m not personally worried about it but let’s just say the US death toll is up to 100-500 or more in the next couple weeks. The panic is gonna be way worse than it already is.

Japan has canceled school for a month. France and Italy are canceling sporting events, etc. There’s reason to believe the same could happen here.

Reactions: theFSUman
The death rate in a country other than China is much lower. For example the death rate in South Korea is .00599 of one percent 26/4355.

My company had trip scheduled to a Tampa area hospital today and it was cancelled by the hospital as the virus has them working on that. Just saying .. things will change if venues and hotels start reacting. Keep your powder dry. On the other hand, you may get a deal if folks start staying at home.

My company had trip scheduled to a Tampa area hospital today and it was cancelled by the hospital as the virus has them working on that. Just saying .. things will change if venues and hotels start reacting. Keep your powder dry. On the other hand, you may get a deal if folks start staying at home.

Yea, exactly. Even if the virus isn’t as bad as everyone thinks it’s the panic and hysteria over the whole thing that would get the games canceled or played without crowds.

Have you guys not seen how many football games get canceled every time there’s even like a 10% threat of the outskirts of a tropical storm lurking in the Atlantic Ocean. Decision makers don’t want to be responsible for a single person dying/hurt/sick etc. so it leads to things being canceled that really shouldn’t be.

That’s more concerning to me than the virus itself.

I get this and it’s the reason I’m not personally worried about it but let’s just say the US death toll is up to 100-500 or more in the next couple weeks. The panic is gonna be way worse than it already is.

Japan has canceled school for a month. France and Italy are canceling sporting events, etc. There’s reason to believe the same could happen here.
So from 2 deaths to hundreds.
source.gif

This thing is blown all out of proportion. The number of fatalities from flu season is far greater.
Total number? Probably because this has only just gotten going but the death rate for corona-19 is much higher.

So from 2 deaths to hundreds.
source.gif

Italy’s first death was on Feb 22nd (8 days ago) and now they’re up to 52. And Italy is maybe 20% the size of the US. 100 deaths in the US by the first game of the NCAA Tournament isn’t that far-fetched. It might even be likely.

Coronavirus will be everywhere. The guy in Sarasota County did not travel. This means he got it from someone else in the States so the number of cases in the US is likely a lot more than is known. However, the actual risk to healthy individuals above a bad cold or the flu is low. Doesn't mean you ignore the problem but I see no reason to start cancelling events at this point.

Japan is now playing pro baseball games, rugby, and boxing matches without any spectators.

@SamENole - let's just hope cooler heads prevail. I get what you're saying but what are ya gonna do? I think the fact that this is a huge money maker for the NCAA hedges my concern to some degree.

We have had 10,000,000 flu cases in the US with 10,000 deaths and 180,000 people hospitalized this season. Why is that not being hyped. Total scare tactics.

Reactions: nnfdnole
We have had 10,000,000 flu cases in the US with 10,000 deaths and 180,000 people hospitalized this season. Why is that not being hyped. Total scare tactics.
It is hyped. It’s why people know about and get the flu vaccine and there are daily reports on “flu conditions.” The flu is also a known entity. We know the risk factors and try to mitigate. This virus is still mysterious in many ways. And it’s showing itself to have higher rates of mortality than the flu.

Italy’s first death was on Feb 22nd (8 days ago) and now they’re up to 52. And Italy is maybe 20% the size of the US. 100 deaths in the US by the first game of the NCAA Tournament isn’t that far-fetched. It might even be likely.
How is health care in Italy vs the United States of America? Are you saying we are on par with the Italians?

It is hyped. It’s why people know about and get the flu vaccine and there are daily reports on “flu conditions.” The flu is also a known entity. We know the risk factors and try to mitigate. This virus is still mysterious in many ways. And it’s showing itself to have higher rates of mortality than the flu.
Yeah in China and Iran. Thank your God everyday you live in this great country. Take out those deaths and you’ve almost got nothing.

The death rate in Italy as of today is .0255 Percent.

Compare this to other viruses.

Comparison with other viruses

Mortality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%.

Virus Death Rate
Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
2%*
SARS
9.6%
MERS
34%
Swine Flu
0.02%

Virus Death Rate
2%*
SARS
9.6%
MERS
34%
Swine Flu
0.02%

Im not disagreeing with anything that you’ve said and I certainly wouldn’t cancel the games. Hopefully the decision makers aren’t swayed by the hysteria that will be coming in the next few weeks. It’s gonna be front and center of every news outlet nonstop.

16,000 people have died from the flu during this flu season in the US, according to the CDC. There have been 2,810 deaths from the novel coronavirus WORLDWIDE so far.
Totally agree, but the reason ppl are freaking out is because it’s novel. Not knowing how to cure it scares ppl.

but yea, the seasonal flu appears to be a bigger risk in my pointless opinion lol.

Reactions: Nole Animal

Virus Death Rate
2%*
SARS
9.6%
MERS
34%
Swine Flu
0.02%
2% is still a lot of people depending on the numbers. Just a lot of unknowns with it currently based on how contagious it is.

The Spanish Flu killed 2% as well.

Exactly. When we’re talking about global population 2% of 7.8 billion is 156,000,000.
Obviously not everyone in the world will get infected but the issue is that the elderly and immunocompromised individuals aren't faring well with it. You may have it and have almost no to little symptoms. If you're a healthcare worker that's a problem if you deal with elderly patients or those with friends/family that you visit or help care for.

2 deaths in US to date ....

3 new deaths today in Washington state alone. Surely you know this number is gonna explode over the next few weeks. The only question is whether the decision makers are able to put it in perspective with the flu and everything else.

We’re just barely scratching the surface of the hysteria that’s gonna take over the country. Give it another 9-10 days and it’s gonna be a mess. Just my $.02.

We’re just barely scratching the surface of the hysteria that’s gonna take over the country. Give it another 9-10 days and it’s gonna be a mess. Just my $.02.
Yep. I think we can all agree that this is not likely to health wise impact most people. However, it is very dangerous for the elderly. Also, at the same time the hysteria is going to be crazy. People are already buying up water like the zombie apocalypse is coming.

It’s like a Hurricane off the coast. Human nature and panic are going to rule the day rather than common sense.

(As I type this from the doctor’s office getting chest x-rays. Lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT