ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone plant a garden?

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
If so what are you growing? I just have big pots on my back patio with tomato plants. They’ve done pretty well so far but this heat wave is pretty rough on them.

Reactions: MagNoleA
If so what are you growing? I just have big pots on my back patio with tomato plants. They’ve done pretty well so far but this heat wave is pretty rough on them.
Sounds like what my wife has tried...just some pots on patio...basically only things we can count on is Basil and scallions....

Reactions: goldmom
If got a small and manageable 15x15 plot growing tomatoes, squash, zucchini, watermelon, string beans, cilantro and two types of peppers. That's about all I can manage with two small kids.

I haven't planted a garden, but I've been twice to the Gaaaden in Beantown.
Will Hunting MIT Custodian

We have a 10x5(ish) raised garden on the side of the house. This year we've just got cucumbers in there because something got to my tomatoes. Might have been verticillium wilt. I also have some peppers in pots, which aren't really doing anything spectacular. Just a weird growing season as those two last year really did well. At least I have the cucumber...

Set out 13 tomato plants and 3 pepper plants in early spring in two raised beds 4X12 and 4X10. The tomatoes did great until the heat wave and then they quit setting fruit. At least five of the tomato plants are lost causes but I'm hopeful that I can keep the rest of them healthy until they start setting fruit again in the fall. Staying motivated through July and August is the main impediment to achieving this. I'm a novice at peppers and they started slow but have really picked up lately. They seem to do a lot better in the heat than the tomatoes.

Reactions: goldmom
Yes ….. 12 rows 900 feet long at the end of a peanut field….. peas, beans, squash, peppers, okra, and tomatoes…. Planted several different varieties of each
Sounds like an abundance of good eating. Hope you got a big freezer(s) and a bunch of family, friends, and young 'uns close by to help pick and eat all that.

Tomatos are tough to grow here. Highly susceptible to spider mites and blossom end rot. Can't grow big beefsteaks here. Campari and Romas are decent here.

Reactions: Redfish Jim
Yes ….. 12 rows 900 feet long at the end of a peanut field….. peas, beans, squash, peppers, okra, and tomatoes…. Planted several different varieties of each
This is how I grew up. Our "garden" was upwards of 2 acres some years. Once we had about an acre of okra ALONE. My granddaddy and I used to go out and cut that nasty crap every morning. I would wear tube socks up to my elbows. Didn't make a bit of difference; I wound up scratching the skin off my arms. And the TOMATOES, my goodness I didn't even like tomatoes but there's something about home grown, especially when green and fried. 😀

Reactions: FreeNole
ADVERTISEMENT