ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching the Haunting of Hill House on Netflix?

About halfway through episode 3 and loving this story so far but my god it is creepy. Don't watch alone at night....lol

I haven't seen it yet. But my sister who is a huge horror movie afficionado is a big fan and tells me everything I talk to her that I should watch it.

My sis-in-law binge watched it and said that it wasn't scary in the traditional jump out at you sense, but really creepy and a good story.

Reactions: dmm5157
My sis-in-law binge watched it and said that it wasn't scary in the traditional jump out at you sense, but really creepy and a good story.
That is correct. It is not gory or overly violent just creepy and keeps you on edge. Good use of subtle images and music really add the the feel.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
About halfway through episode 3 and loving this story so far but my god it is creepy. Don't watch alone at night....lol

agree - very creepy. A few episodes in I started not liking the empty house at night. My son just finished it though and he said it is just excellent and compelling writing.

Reactions: nolelan
I won’t watch it because I like to sleep well at night, but I believe they filmed at one of the houses on my street and toured ours to see if they could film here. The rest of it was filmed in and around Atlanta.

I finished it today. It was good. Creepy with some family melodrama mixed in. I wish the kid who plays Luke as a little boy didn’t look so much like my 4-year-old, but that shouldn’t be an issue for the rest of you haha.

I finished it today. It was good. Creepy with some family melodrama mixed in. I wish the kid who plays Luke as a little boy didn’t look so much like my 4-year-old, but that shouldn’t be an issue for the rest of you haha.
That kid reminds me of the kid in the Jerry Maguire movie.

Really well written and interesting show. Much more depth and interest than just horror and suspense. By the end, I was more compelled and interested in the family story than the horror aspects.

Saw someone describe the show as American Horror Story meets This Is Us, which is spot on. The flash backs, the episodes devoted to each family member really help to deliver the story more like reading a book than a traditional linear story.

Really enjoyed it, hope to see more of these types of shows. This is a winner for Netflix.

Really well written and interesting show. Much more depth and interest than just horror and suspense. By the end, I was more compelled and interested in the family story than the horror aspects.

Saw someone describe the show as American Horror Story meets This Is Us, which is spot on. The flash backs, the episodes devoted to each family member really help to deliver the story more like reading a book than a traditional linear story.

Really enjoyed it, hope to see more of these types of shows. This is a winner for Netflix.
I finished ep 3 last night and started 4. I really like how they are focusing on a specific characters perspective each episode. I wish I had more free time to just binge watch it.

I finished ep 3 last night and started 4. I really like how they are focusing on a specific characters perspective each episode. I wish I had more free time to just binge watch it.

We watched it in 2 days, ended first half of the season at around 3 am and decided to watch the rest during the day. Much less creepy during the day and the episodes get less creepy after ep 5

We watched 9 episodes last weekend. The wife didn’t want to stay up and watch during the week and I got tired of waiting to finish it. So I’m going to have to pretend I haven’t already seen the last episode when we finish it this weekend.

Reactions: nolelan and dmm5157
I just got through ep 5. I'm starting to feel like this show is using horror to tell a bigger story about mental illness in general... But some of those first episodes were so damned creepy I did have a hard time sleeping at night. I kept having nightmares of my own kids going through stuff and me not being able to help...

I want to binge watch it, but I've found the suspense so strong that I simply can't take it... I'm glad to hear the creepiness factor starts to go down on the second half... Maybe I can just knock through it now.

Reactions: dmm5157 and nolelan
I just got through ep 5. I'm starting to feel like this show is using horror to tell a bigger story about mental illness in general... But some of those first episodes were so damned creepy I did have a hard time sleeping at night. I kept having nightmares of my own kids going through stuff and me not being able to help...

I want to binge watch it, but I've found the suspense so strong that I simply can't take it... I'm glad to hear the creepiness factor starts to go down on the second half... Maybe I can just knock through it now.
I am thru 6 now (which is my favorite episode so far). I finally got others in my office to watch it. Everyone loves it. Some great water cooler conversations.

I don’t usually watch horror movies/shows but you guys might have talked me into this.

I think the pay off of the final few episodes is worth it. Gets less horror flick towards the end.

Totally get it on the kids thing. Seeing the issues with the small kids was rough. Made me feel a little bad for getting annoyed with my kids when they wake up with nightmares and come over and wake me up.

Last edited:
30529322577_e0ddcaf126_b.jpg

Who's house is this in the show?

That's the writer's house, who was separated from his wife.
Yeah, that's Stephens house, but his wife is living in it since they're separated.

I just finished ep 6... OMG, the 20 minute single take shots in that episode were really something special. I don't know if I've ever seen something pulled off like that. Once I realized what was happening it was mesmerizing...

Yeah, that's Stephens house, but his wife is living in it since they're separated.

I just finished ep 6... OMG, the 20 minute single take shots in that episode were really something special. I don't know if I've ever seen something pulled off like that. Once I realized what was happening it was mesmerizing...

You know, until you mentioned it right now, I had not noticed it. Went back and sure enough!

You know, until you mentioned it right now, I had not noticed it. Went back and sure enough!
I watched a brief special where they discussed filming that episode. They spent over a month just getting ready to film that one episode. They filmed the entire thing multiple times with stand in actors just getting the timing down for all the people moving props around, etc... But it was worth it... Once I'm done with the entire show I'm going to go back to watch that episode again just to see that masterpiece again.

I also just found my first hidden ghost that I didn't already know about. Man, that does make it more creepy when suddenly your brain sees a ghost in the background just staring at you... I should probably go back and watch it again just trying to find all of those.

I'm only two episodes in (and I skipped through most of the posts to avoid spoilers), but it seems to me that there really aren't any "ghosts" at all...it's all in their heads.

Somewhat related, anyone see the Carla Gugino Netflix film Gerald's Game? It's more of a psychological trippy movie than scary, Carla was pretty good in it. Not up to standard of Haunting, but good.

Also of note, the film The Haunting (1999), was on HBO this week. Based on same book as Haunting of Hill House, but not anywhere near as good (laughable at times).

4 episodes in and I LOVE it!
If you loved 1-4 you
Somewhat related, anyone see the Carla Gugino Netflix film Gerald's Game? It's more of a psychological trippy movie than scary, Carla was pretty good in it. Not up to standard of Haunting, but good.

Also of note, the film The Haunting (1999), was on HBO this week. Based on same book as Haunting of Hill House, but not anywhere near as good (laughable at times).
Haven't seen Geralds game but heard it was pretty good. That 1999 movie was straight garbage but the 1960's movie based on the book is good.

I just finished this and wow... That did not end in the manner I expected. I won't say any more than that, but this show is so, so much more than a ghost story.... I've never cried at the end of a horror movie before... But this one got to me, at least a little.

This might be some of the best storytelling I've ever seen.

I just finished this and wow... That did not end in the manner I expected. I won't say any more than that, but this show is so, so much more than a ghost story.... I've never cried at the end of a horror movie before... But this one got to me, at least a little.

Just finished ep 8 and have started 9. I would never have thought I would like a show like this as much as I have. I cannot wait to see how it all plays out in these last 2 episodes. Already looking forward to rewatching it.

Just finished ep 8 and have started 9. I would never have thought I would like a show like this as much as I have. I cannot wait to see how it all plays out in these last 2 episodes. Already looking forward to rewatching it.

I'm planning to re-watch this weekend as well. So much nuance I missed first time through because I binge watched late into the night and want to go back and watch at a slower pace now.

I'm planning to re-watch this weekend as well. So much nuance I missed first time through because I binge watched late into the night and want to go back and watch at a slower pace now.
Episode 9 was really good. I cant wait to see how they tie this up in the finale.

I just finished and cried as well. I haven't even really processed why but it all comes together perfectly. I dont know how they could duplicate this season with another. I almost hope they dont do another one even though i want more.

Just finished this show. I don’t binge watch TV much but I knocked this out in about three sittings. Great show. I agree, I hope they don’t do a sequel, this was tied up nearly perfectly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT