ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently No One Is Still Getting Up For "Get Up"

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
I guess I'm in the majority in having zero interest in this show. I wonder if Golic smiles every time he reads one of these articles.

ESPN’s ‘Get Up’ is garnering attention for precisely the wrong reason

To hear the Observers of Bristol tell it, “Get Up” isn’t so much a morning show but a referendum on ESPN’s well-being, which is both fair and unfair. The network spent months promoting the show, built a new Manhattan studio with skyline views for it and brought in Mike Greenberg, Michelle Beadle and Jalen Rose to host it, reportedly at a cost of nearly $15 million per year in salaries. That isn’t a network taking a chance, but rather a studied calculation that such moves would draw viewers to ESPN in the mornings in a way that “SportsCenter” — the previous occupant of the 7-10 a.m. time slot — couldn’t. It’s fair to ask if that is actually working.

It’s also been airing for only a month, which is hardly enough time to pass much in the way of judgment about anything, really. ESPN can hang its hat on the fact that the show premiered without the rising tide of the NFL regular season to buoy it and that things can only get better — last Friday’s show, airing the morning after the NFL draft’s first round, drew a series-high 434,000 viewers — but it also can’t deny that people simply aren’t tuning in. As compiled by the Big Lead’s Ryan Glasspiegel, “Get Up” ratings were nearly 18 percent lower than those of the “SportsCenter” episodes that aired in the same time slot in April 2017. Viewership for “First Take,” the argument show that follows, also dipped by 6 percent from the same time period in 2017.

Lost in all this ratings talk is whether the show is actually any good. Admittedly, my work day down at the WaPo content farm is already well underway by the time “Get Up” starts each morning so I haven’t been tuning in, but I managed to catch about 45 minutes of Thursday’s show. Some random observations:

— The show is remarkably static, with the three hosts sitting around a big table and talking, sometimes to one another, sometimes over highlights. But that’s a whole lot of what the show seems to be: sitting and talking, for three hours.

— They had nominal NFL reporter Sal Paolantonio on as something of a fourth host, and in the segment I saw he was talking about … the NBA?

— At one point late in the show the group got to talking about Charles Barkley’s comments about punching Draymond Green, which sparked some disagreement about on-camera propriety and whatnot. Things were edging ever so close to illumination, as the four talked about the responsibilities inherent in their jobs, when Greenberg suddenly screeched things to a halt to introduce an NFL draft segment with Todd McShay. Not the draft that happened last week, but the draft that’s approximately 358 days away. Why? Spinning things forward is one thing. Putting up the Christmas decorations on Jan. 15 is another.

A snapshot of one episode is hardly indicative of the show as a whole, kind of like how 30 days worth of bad ratings won’t doom “Get Up” But as it stands now, the narrative isn’t whether “Get Up” is actually worth watching but rather that few people actually are watching, and if that story line lingers into NFL season, ESPN will know that it has made a very expensive mistake.

Reactions: squiffynole
Had Get Up on in background last week, kinda boring so it just gets lost in the 40 other morning talk shows. In three months Rose or Beadle will go Stephen A yelling route to garner ratings. Greeny will become deer in headlights b/c he is pure vanilla traffic cop for ESPN.

Don’t watch ESPN except for live events. Apparently a lot of others don’t either.

Reactions: nynole1
But ESPN seemingly bet the farm on them.

Im okay with them losing their shirts on this.

Since they let DK go, I probably have consumed only an hour of their products.... besides watchespn FSU baseball games. Thats due to them exclusively showing SEC games, sometimes between unranked teams, on the main channels when FSU is playing at the same time.

Reactions: FayuGes
I watched a little of it. The only thing that show has going for it is the view. The hosts suck. They have zero chemistry and even Greenberg seems like he’s an amateur.

First, every move ESPN makes is calculated, not sure why people (not referencing any of y'all) get worked up over their coverage. They figured Golic had enough following to carry on with Wingo and Greenberg had enough following to pull his own audience. Bad calculation because they forgot the sum of the Mike & Mike was far greater than its parts.

Second, Greenberg will be fine as he has other options so I'd be cool if Beadle and Rose just fell into radio silence.

Where did Golic and Wingo go on TV? What are their numbers? And what are the numbers for their radio broadcast?

Where did Golic and Wingo go on TV? What are their numbers? And what are the numbers for their radio broadcast?
Not sure about their numbers, but they're on ESPNNews now.

Have not watched the show but I can imagine its bad with Beadle and Rose, would not want to watch either one. Greenberg is okay, just not very interesting.

Can't really see the logic in committing all this money to a morning sports themed show. Seems like there is probably not a large % of ESPN's target audience that is watching TV at that time of day.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
Have not watched the show but I can imagine its bad with Beadle and Rose, would not want to watch either one. Greenberg is okay, just not very interesting.

Can't really see the logic in committing all this money to a morning sports themed show. Seems like there is probably not a large % of ESPN's target audience that is watching TV at that time of day.
Their target audience was tuning in at that hour to watch Sports Center. They probably are upset at having their show taken from them for one that more mimics a NBC/CBS/ABC morning show.

Reactions: FSUBigALNoles#1
Their target audience was tuning in at that hour to watch Sports Center. They probably are upset at having their show taken from them for one that more mimics a NBC/CBS/ABC morning show.
SC's still on the Deuce.

I've been saying that for weeks. Was my morning tv time.

Not sure about their numbers, but they're on ESPNNews now.

Not on my ESPNNews. They have the Le Batard/Stugotz crap on in that slot. Wingo/Golic is not aired anymore.

I've been saying that for weeks. Was my morning tv time.

Not on my ESPNNews. They have the Le Batard/Stugotz crap on in that slot. Wingo/Golic is not aired anymore.
They’re not on at the same time.

The future landscape is trouble for the likes of ESPN. There are just so many options now out there that all eyeballs and ears are getting divided into smaller and smaller pieces of the pie.

Get Up is a calculated "safe" show to try to get a big audience but in going for the national/ cross demographic audience they just made a boring show that doesn't compel any specific audience to tune in.

I’ve caught the show a few times.. I’m such a beadle detractor that I can’t get into the show. The view behind the set is great though!

I’m tuning into Dan Patrick when I listen/watch sports talk shows. I’ve watched him for years and enjoy that show. He doesn’t go the route of skip bayless and say outlandish things, he doesn’t yell like Stephen A, he doesn’t have that annoying voice like cowherd.. he and his “dannettes” just BS sports and other topics for 3 hours.. they seem like guys I would wanna have a beer with and talk sports.

Cowherd is always humble bragging about living in Manhattan beach and living the LA life and skip and those other guys are annoying as hell. I’m rambling on here but I think undisputed is the WORST show I’ve ever seen. I can’t stand the Lebron legacy talk every single freaking episode.. and I’m a Lebron fan!

Reactions: funksouljon
I used to listen to Steve Czaban in the morning, he did a great national show with no ego and touched on all sports. I can't find any decent national shows that is on radio around 6 AM. Boston talk is getting like everything else in terms of being variety shows. Any ideas?

Reactions: FayuGes
I don't generally tell people how they should run their business when I have no experience in it; but whatever ESPN is doing is not working. I used to have M&M on in the background all the time when I was working and did the same with Golic and Wingo. Tried it with get up and couldn't do it. I don't even want to listen to them talk. except for live sports and maybe some of their specials on athletes or teams I rarely even put any espn channel on now.

Reactions: Finance85
I don't generally tell people how they should run their business when I have no experience in it; but whatever ESPN is doing is not working. I used to have M&M on in the background all the time when I was working and did the same with Golic and Wingo. Tried it with get up and couldn't do it. I don't even want to listen to them talk. except for live sports and maybe some of their specials on athletes or teams I rarely even put any espn channel on now.

Not sure how old you are, but when I was growing up (born in 80s grew up in the 90s) sportscenter was a must watch for me. Stu Scott, olberman, Patrick were awesome. Watching the highlights was fun as i was just starting to get into sports myself. Watching shows like baseball tonight or nfl live or whatever the nba equivalent was, was what I enjoyed. Then it all started to changed to this embrace debate style of show and it has gone downhill ever since..

But I don’t know if it’s because as I get older and have more responsibilities than I did when I was 12, I simply don’t watch sports shows except for live sports. I’ll have the Dan Patrick show on when I can, but I’m not making it a point to make sure that I catch the 11pm sports center show. Having apps like bleacher report or warchant or whatever it is makes sportscenter dated news as I have all the results already given to me as they happen.

I’m curious to see how people who are my age have gone the same route. From watching espn at its peak in the 90s, to now only watching espn for live sporting events.

Reactions: docb76
Seems like a bad concept. I presume the primary target audience is male. Most males have to get up and go to work in the AM. Very few have time to sit around and watch an unremarkable talk show. For the “young” crowd that may have time to watch the show, they don’t want to see/hear talking heads. Not sure who they are trying to appeal to, but I would not spend the effort changing the channel to watch this trio.

I DVR Highly Questionable and PTI, I enjoy the chemistry between Wilbon and Kornheiser.
Catch live sports on there, but probably use ESPN3 more.

ESPN’s move may have been calculated, but from what I’ve read they’re spending more for a smaller audience. Can’t imagine that’s what they expected.

Reactions: Finance85
Thought Noles might be playing baseball this weekend, so I checked ESPN3.
No baseball, but you can tune in to #4 Florida State vs #3 Hawai’i beach volleyball...

Thought Noles might be playing baseball this weekend, so I checked ESPN3.
No baseball, but you can tune in to #4 Florida State vs #3 Hawai’i beach volleyball...
Great matchup...
Noles beat two time defending champs USC and 1 seed UCLA yesterday to stay in winners bracket.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Tied 2-2 and going down to the end on court 5. Noles up 11-9 playing to 15.
Winner to the final match tomorrow, loser into the losers bracket. Go Noles!
...and the Seminoles move on. NCAA championship match tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT