ADVERTISEMENT

Arrest made in FSU Law Prof Dan Markel murder case

arrested in South Florida? Didn't the murder for hire theory center around the wife wanting to move to Miami.

Not much about how they identified this guy. Wonder if it was just a b&e gone bad.

I don't know the general order for how these things usually go but if it was a murder for hire and they have the evidence to arrest the shooter, wouldn't they also for the person who made the hire?

I don't know the general order for how these things usually go but if it was a murder for hire and they have the evidence to arrest the shooter, wouldn't they also for the person who made the hire?
Could be they're counting on the shooter to roll over to provide solid evidence against the client.

Also, nice hairlip.

Sigfredo+Garcia1.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Finally. I'm very interested in watching this play out and hearing the whole story.

It will be interesting to hear the details when they're released. Motive? Killing for hire?

Yeah, very little info out but signs pointing to contract killing. It's probably going to be slow getting info out to the public, but I cannot wait to hear more info about all this.

After 2 years of relative silence, I had lost all hope of this thing getting resolved.

Reactions: noleit and DFSNOLE
From the get go everyone thought the Family hired someone....would love to know the details on how TPD arrested the hitman.....my guess is he made the same mistake that most do and he bragged about it to "friends" one too many times and one of those friends called the "hotline" for a big reward and had some piece of info about the killing not known by the general public that made the tip more credible than most

It will be interesting to hear the details when they're released. Motive? Killing for hire?
Yes! what would the motive be for this guy to kill Markel? No info yet and we need those details on how they made this connection.

Yes! what would the motive be for this guy to kill Markel? No info yet and we need those details on how they made this connection.

Apparently Markel did some anti-mob cases in the past so there was plenty of speculation it might have been a hit based on that. Plus there's his whole ex-wife and/or father in law hiring a hitman angle as well.

10 a.m. update from the Tallahassee Democrat:

Law enforcement officials are investigating Florida State University law professor Dan Markel’s death as a murder for hire, according to two sources close to the investigation.

The sources add that more arrests are expected.

Another source said there could be as many as five or six additional arrests.

Tallahassee Police are holding a 11:30 a.m. press conference to provide more details. The Tallahassee Democrat will be live streaming the press conference on its Facebook page.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/05/26/man-arrrested-dan-markel-case/84955148/

Reactions: dmm5157
It's really not to too hard to see where this is going...contentious divorce...ex-wife and family all from South Florida where she wanted to take the kids against his wishes...hitman is arrested two years later "coincidentally" in South Florida...hitman will roll over pretty quickly...expect arrests of ex-wife and father in law pretty soon

Reactions: RTM58
It's really not to too hard to see where this is going...contentious divorce...ex-wife and family all from South Florida where she wanted to take the kids against his wishes...hitman is arrested two years later "coincidentally" in South Florida...hitman will roll over pretty quickly...expect arrests of ex-wife and father in law pretty soon
Wow...

Apparently Markel did some anti-mob cases in the past so there was plenty of speculation it might have been a hit based on that.

Nah, he was a clerk in the 9th Circuit, and then a white collar criminal defense attorney (a long time ago). Not a prosecutor, or anybody who would be a target of organized crime.

Wow. I will say the potential number of forthcoming arrests point to it still being possibly a mob hit. But, this guy seems like maybe not the type of guy an organized crime family would seek out.

It will be amazing if it was numerous family members and not just either the Wife or Dad. If so, maybe it is really all of the above and her family itself has mob ties? As posted above, it will be tragic for his kids if this is the case.

Wow. I will say the potential number of forthcoming arrests point to it still being possibly a mob hit. But, this guy seems like maybe not the type of guy an organized crime family would seek out.

It will be amazing if it was numerous family members and not just either the Wife or Dad. If so, maybe it is really all of the above and her family itself has mob ties? As posted above, it will be tragic for his kids if this is the case.

The number of arrest can still point to a hit-for-hire. The wife and dad and any other person with knowledge will be arrested to build the case. There's also the high probability of a go-between, someone who knew someone that set this up. Easily reach 5-10 people.

pretty worthless press conference. Definitely think the wife and her dad are and always have been the ones responsible.

Well, the ex-wife moved back to S. Fla to live with her parents. This is the family's dental practice website. Bio says they have three children (including a son who is a periodontist at the practice).

One source told the Democrat 5-6 arrests could be forthcoming. If one or more of the ex-wife's family members were involved in hiring Garcia, then that high number of arrests would make sense. Good lord would that be a story. The Adelsons are a successful and well respected Coral Gables family.

Last edited:
On further review of all this is my best guess is they have some really good smoking gun info on those who hired him and are trying to bait them into making a run out of country before they arrest to add one more piece of evidence.

Last edited:
It makes sense that this was done by an out-of-towner, because a local killer would have been too easy to spot, especially if he stuck around. I'm curious whether the "Silver Prius" we were all supposed to be on the lookout for actually factored into the crime in any way:

FSU-prof-murder-lead-jpg_308351_ver1.0.jpg

Nah, he was a clerk in the 9th Circuit, and then a white collar criminal defense attorney (a long time ago). Not a prosecutor, or anybody who would be a target of organized crime.

No, he was prominently involved in a Russian Mafia case that ticked some people off. It was due to an Orthodox Jew kidnapping scam being run by various rabbis. When you hear "Russian Mob" what you don't really is that a very hefty percentage of them are Russian, Ukrainian and Isreali Jews with the largest "known" kingpin being an Isreali Jew. The Russian mob is a very loose organization of mainly religious outcasts (Jews and Orthodox Christians mainly) who used the blackmarket to make money and "fight" an atheistic communist regime. Once the wall fell those organisations didn't stop but continued on quite prominently.

And where is the biggest collection of Russian/"Jewish" Mafia located? South Florida. They practically run the illicit medical community down there and that's why it used to be true (and probably still is) that literally one quarter of the various insurance and Medicare/Medicaid fraud for the entirety of the United States was generated in three counties in South Florida.

Miami and the area is literally filled with Russian/"Jewish" mob dudes and enterprises. It literally reached a point when I was prosecuting doctors for the Florida DOH that you didn't even need to open the file, I knew if I got a doctor with a Russian or Jewish sounding name from south Florida that it was practically guaranteed to be HIV-IG or some other fraud. Why do you think the pill mills popped up in Florida so quickly? When the market started growing in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky etc for opiates and the local governments moved in to slow down distribution, the giant medical fraud ring in South Florida basically opened their doors and said "come on in" and the "Oxycodone Express" was created in basically no time thanks mainly to the greater Miami area Russian/"Jewish" mob.

Now could his inlaws have done it? Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't loosely connected to the mob in that area it is so prevalent. But it could be because of this as well.

http://forward.com/news/203807/police-probe-dan-markel-link-to-get-extortion-rabb/

No, he was prominently involved in a Russian Mafia case that ticked some people off. It was due to an Orthodox Jew kidnapping scam being run by various rabbis. When you hear "Russian Mob" what you don't really is that a very hefty percentage of them are Russian, Ukrainian and Isreali Jews with the largest "known" kingpin being an Isreali Jew. The Russian mob is a very loose organization of mainly religious outcasts (Jews and Orthodox Christians mainly) who used the blackmarket to make money and "fight" an atheistic communist regime. Once the wall fell those organisations didn't stop but continued on quite prominently.

And where is the biggest collection of Russian/"Jewish" Mafia located? South Florida. They practically run the illicit medical community down there and that's why it used to be true (and probably still is) that literally one quarter of the various insurance and Medicare/Medicaid fraud for the entirety of the United States was generated in three counties in South Florida.

Miami and the area is literally filled with Russian/"Jewish" mob dudes and enterprises. It literally reached a point when I was prosecuting doctors for the Florida DOH that you didn't even need to open the file, I knew if I got a doctor with a Russian or Jewish sounding name from south Florida that it was practically guaranteed to be HIV-IG or some other fraud. Why do you think the pill mills popped up in Florida so quickly? When the market started growing in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky etc for opiates and the local governments moved in to slow down distribution, the giant medical fraud ring in South Florida basically opened their doors and said "come on in" and the "Oxycodone Express" was created in basically no time thanks mainly to the greater Miami area Russian/"Jewish" mob.

Now could his inlaws have done it? Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't loosely connected to the mob in that area it is so prevalent. But it could be because of this as well.

http://forward.com/news/203807/police-probe-dan-markel-link-to-get-extortion-rabb/

Killing high profile, well connected legal figures is suicide for organized crime. It's terrible for business. The US Attorney and judiciary here ran roughshod over white supremacist groups even remotely tied to Matthew Hale after Judge Lefkow's family was killed.

Tribe, you're reaching there...

I seriously doubt that the South Florida Russian mob would give a rat's behind about the applied OCD practices of Hasidic Jews in the NYC metro area....you'd have a better case blaming Whitey Bulger for ordering the hit....

And I thought the Jewish Mafia in South Florida died with Meyer Lansky in 1983....

Killing high profile, well connected legal figures is suicide for organized crime. It's terrible for business. The US Attorney and judiciary here ran roughshod over white supremacist groups even remotely tied to Matthew Hale after Judge Lefkow's family was killed.

Oh I agree. And I'm not saying it was (I have no first hand knowledge of this case despite residing in Tally), just that it could very well have been and I wouldn't put it past them at all. But the Miami local law enforcement is either ineffective, in their pocket or both as the Russian/"Jewish" Mafia has been running the "medical" show down there for decades. And the state and federal response hasn't been a whole lot more effective. So they're probably feeling pretty safe down there now.

Tribe, you're reaching there...

I seriously doubt that the South Florida Russian mob would give a rat's behind about the applied OCD practices of Hasidic Jews in the NYC metro area....you'd have a better case blaming Whitey Bulger for ordering the hit....

And I thought the Jewish Mafia in South Florida died with Meyer Lansky in 1983....

100000% wrong on the latter. They're bigger and more organized than ever.

As far as the former, I've read other articles showing that the rabbi ring referenced is intrinsically connected albeit a minor ring being run out of New Jersey and New York. But the Jewish/Russian Mafia have their hands on almost everything with their control of the medical fraud and "pills" in the European and American market being almost total domination, but they have their hand in everything else including the sex slave trade. While their reach in illicit manufactured drugs (cocaine and pot) and the low level street crime is relatively light compared to the Columbians, Italians etc..., they absolutely dominate the medical fraud, housing fraud, "pills" and sex slave markets which are quite lucrative.

As someone who's worked in law enforcement for over 20 years. I'll just say that in my experience it is not usually these fantastic, "TV show" related theories that apply to crimes. It usually is the simplest of human connections and motivations.

Usually, although what was publicly available screamed "hit" to me. Is it good odds that even if it was a "hit" that it was the ex-wife and/or relatives? Sure. I'd place a pretty decent bet that it had to do with the divorce.

BUT...I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of a mob hit because of his interference in the New Jersey/New York ring. It's distant enough in time and space, they'd probably feel comfortable doing it.

As I understand it, Markel wasn't a key figure in the rabbi case, just a consultant. I doubt the defendants even knew who he was, let alone put out a hit on him.

Reactions: Rowsdower
As I understand it, Markel wasn't a key figure in the rabbi case, just a consultant. I doubt the defendants even knew who he was, let alone put out a hit on him.

Now that could be true. I have no idea as I didn't know anyone on that case and only know what was reported. And what was reported was that he was the main expert in the case but I have never bothered to look at any of the case documents to see if that was in fact true or just reporters making up stuff as they go along.

ADVERTISEMENT