ADVERTISEMENT

Best Places to Live 2018 - Where does your city rank?

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
The City of Charm (Jacksonville, FL) checking in the top 50 at #44. The other Florida cities ranked ahead are #29 Melbourne, #34 Sarasota, and #41 Ft. Myers but they are just politicking to the retirees. Got tired scrolling down looking for Miami, Orlando, and Tampa....I'm sure their somewhere outside of the top 70. After reviewing the list and some of the cities ahead of The City of Charm (like Anchorage, AK & Lancaster, PA....give me a break!) I've moved Jacksonville, FL into the Top 20.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/rankings/best-places-to-live

The City of Charm (Jacksonville, FL) checking in the top 50 at #44. The other Florida cities ranked ahead are #29 Melbourne, #34 Sarasota, and #41 Ft. Myers but they are just politicking to the retirees. Got tired scrolling down looking for Miami, Orlando, and Tampa....I'm sure their somewhere outside of the top 70. After reviewing the list and some of the cities ahead of The City of Charm (like Anchorage, AK & Lancaster, PA....give me a break!) I've moved Jacksonville, FL into the Top 20.

They're probably ranked that low because their school system obviously fails at teaching the basics of spelling. You know, like the difference and proper usage of they're/their.

I didn’t have to go any further than #5 (Fayetteville Arkansas) to know this list is based on BS. Unlike a lot of people I’ve actually been to Fayetteville and that place isn’t even in the top five places to live in Arkansas (let’s see Hot Springs, Little Rock, Ft Smith, Bentonville are definitely better...but maybe it’s fifth, what can I say Arkansas sucks) let alone the US.

Let’s see would I rather live in Lahaina Hawaii on Maui

Lahaina-Aerial.jpg

00-TRAVOH-Places-00002-Kapalua-Lahaina-Maui-Hawaii-United-States.jpg

Dean-Otto-Sakamoto-Properties-Lahaina-Hawaii-USA-Cover.jpg

royal_lahaina_hero.jpg

Or Fayetteville Arkansas????

fayetteville-ar.jpg

23b44240-b625-11e6-9c00-0242ac110047.jpg

They're probably ranked that low because their school system obviously fails at teaching the basics of spelling. You know, like the difference and proper usage of they're/their.

Oh come on DFS, no sense in being upset that Defunky Springs didn't make the list.... it's just a few stop lights from the bright lights of the big city #53 Pensacola.

Theiyrre.jpg

Everyone who knows the proper usage of they're/their lives one county to the south, home of the best school system in the State of Florida. :D

I’ll be there for this Tues, and Fri-Sun to visit a legacy clients facility I’m still on the hook for working at a couple times a year and to go to Rockville so I’m fine with Jax. It’s not making my top 25 but it would probably make my top 50 general areas in North America. So I wouldn’t argue with its placement. Even as a native Floridian I’d have Vancouver, Toronto and possibly Montreal in my top 25 over it and in Florida I’d definitely have St Pete/Tampa, Orlando and Pensacola (with its semicloseness to Mobile, Biloxi and New Orleans for entertaining weekend trips) over it. But I like Jax well enough. I’m looking to build a new medical facility there, St Augustine, Kings Bay or somewhere in between or around those three in a year or so.

Reactions: 12Nole
I’ll be there for this Tues, and Fri-Sun to visit a legacy clients facility I’m still on the hook for working at a couple times a year and to go to Rockville so I’m fine with Jax. It’s not making my top 25 but it would probably make my top 50 general areas in North America. So I wouldn’t argue with its placement. Even as a native Floridian I’d have Vancouver, Toronto and possibly Montreal in my top 25 over it and in Florida I’d definitely have St Pete/Tampa, Orlando and Pensacola (with its semicloseness to Mobile, Biloxi and New Orleans for entertaining weekend trips) over it. But I like Jax well enough. I’m looking to build a new medical facility there, St Augustine, Kings Bay or somewhere in between or around those three in a year or so.

For Friday I would recommend a steak at Cowford Chophouse & then Ozzy at Rockville. If you're not into a big dinner beforehand then grab a few drinks at The Volstead and Dos Gatos.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Everyone who knows the proper usage of they're/their lives one county to the south, home of the best school system in the State of Florida. :D
Pfft. Still not as good as the schools you attended in Texas.

This is true. "Best public schools" in this state is like the most polished turd contest.

For Friday I would recommend a steak at Cowford Chophouse & then Ozzy at Rockville. If you're not into a big dinner beforehand then grab a few drinks at The Volstead and Dos Gatos.

Probably just eating on the road Friday and seeing if we can make it in time for Halestorm. If not, we’ll just catch a band or two before Ozzy and not worry about it. Sat I’m heading up to the Woodbine Crawfish Festival and going to the “Golden Isles” for a couple of hours before showing up around 5:30 to catch STP. Sun I’m not sure what we’re doing but I’m staying at a hotel just across the border in Georgia so we might head up to Savannah for lunch and to visit with relatives. Or we might head over to Amelia Island. I’m just wanting to make it back to Jax by 4:30-5.

Uh...they had my town about 10 spots below Dayton Ohio. My wife is from Dayton, her folks still live there and we visit often - I can’t leave that hell hole fast enough each time. Whoever made the list was drunk.
Heh, my wife is from their too. Miamisburg actually.

Any list that includes the hellhole known as Anchorage, AK is null and void. I have the misfortune of marking roughly six trips a year to that cess pool. What a dump.

These lists are so silly. Like the writer personally visited every one, and then conducted some sophisticated analytics? Please.....beyond all of that, the metrics that are important to the writer may differ greatly from those of the readers.

These things are just space fillers designed to stimulate arguments. You know, like 75% of everything posted on Warchant. :)

These lists are so silly. Like the writer personally visited every one, and then conducted some sophisticated analytics? Please.....beyond all of that, the metrics that are important to the writer may differ greatly from those of the readers.

These things are just space fillers designed to stimulate arguments. You know, like 75% of everything posted on Warchant. :)
It's based on objective criteria such as unemployment rates, income, cost of living, crime rates, education, health care, etc. It looks like a small part (15%) is based on subjective criteria - a public poll ranking metro areas. I agree that a lot of the results are surprising.

Remember, I'm from the Gold Coast of Florida so I could. If it wasn't for you living there, there wouldn't be a single redeeming thing about that gator loving town.

Jacksonville is not that bad. Sure, lots of gatas and other rednecks, and lots of the same kinds of unflattering issues you see in every other decent-sized city. It’s not like Tampa, Orlando and Miami are without their own significant flaws. But when you get into the better areas of Jax, it is pretty nice.

Jacksonville is not that bad. Sure, lots of gatas and other rednecks, and lots of the same kinds of unflattering issues you see in every other decent-sized city. It’s not like Tampa, Orlando and Miami are without their own significant flaws. But when you get into the better areas of Jax, it is pretty nice.
I'm not arguing that at all. It's just fun to play the devil's advocate role with the delusional 12Nole.

Remember, I'm from the Gold Coast of Florida so I could. If it wasn't for you living there, there wouldn't be a single redeeming thing about that gator loving town.

You can find rednecks all over Florida. They're not just confined to the First Coast.

How in the world could Swansea, S.C. not be on the list? 25 miles from the state capitol (or is Capital?) home of the Shamecocks.

Loaded with attractions, led by the famous Hiney Winery.
Owned and operated by the Hiney brothers, Big Red and Thor.
Their sister, Ophelia heads up the bookkeeping department.
Don't miss it people.

Uh...they had my town about 10 spots below Dayton Ohio. My wife is from Dayton, her folks still live there and we visit often - I can’t leave that hell hole fast enough each time. Whoever made the list was drunk.
Same. I was born in Dayton. There are some areas outside of Dayton that are ok, but Dayton in and of itself is a crap hole. It is a lot different city than the city my parents grew up in.

You can find rednecks all over Florida. They're not just confined to the First Coast.

There are rednecks littered along the east coast.

I was in a city outside of Pittsburgh over the holidays and it was scary....right up there Wewa!

I assume since this list was created by some real estate organization Boulder isn't on the list because there is no inventory available. Denver is #3 so I will claim it.

Austin at #1! Though I'm not sure they took traffic and cost of living into consideration.
Has changed a great deal in the almost 30 years I have been here.
The skyline is now most impressive!

Austin at #1! Though I'm not sure they took traffic and cost of living into consideration.
Has changed a great deal in the almost 30 years I have been here.
The skyline is now most impressive!

I like Austin well enough but I always think it gets a huge amount of extra credit by being surrounded by the rest of Texas. Pick Austin up and drop it in California or Arizona (or even next to Tampa or Orlando) and suddenly no one would care. But compare it to the overgrown redneck NRA wunderlands of Houston and Dallas and Austin is a shining city of diversity, modernity, art, cuisine and forward thought.

There’s a handful of places worth visiting in Texas (Austin during the Moontower Comedy Festival this week which I skipped only because their acts were stale and duplicative of last year for the mid level acts, San Antonio for a two day trip, the Big Bend NP the one or two months a year it’s not meltingly hot, Fredericksburg and the wineries surrounding the “Hill Country” and Lockhart for the “BBQ” Texans claim as their god given heritage but are really based on old Jewish recipes for brisket), but for 95% of it I view Texas a just a bigger, richer Arkansas or Mississippi with far more white rednecks shooting Yosemite Samlike at all times.

Now Phoenix and Tucson (which I like better) are a really underrated metro area. All four major sports, big diversity of food, and big name music and comedy acts coming in all the time. We don’t think of it much in Florida, but I definitely love the area and would have it in my top 10.

I like Austin well enough but I always think it gets a huge amount of extra credit by being surrounded by the rest of Texas. Pick Austin up and drop it in California or Arizona (or even next to Tampa or Orlando) and suddenly no one would care. But compare it to the overgrown redneck NRA wunderlands of Houston and Dallas and Austin is a shining city of diversity, modernity, art, cuisine and forward thought.

There’s a handful of places worth visiting in Texas (Austin during the Moontower Comedy Festival this week which I skipped only because their acts were stale and duplicative of last year for the mid level acts, San Antonio for a two day trip, the Big Bend NP the one or two months a year it’s not meltingly hot, Fredericksburg and the wineries surrounding the “Hill Country” and Lockhart for the “BBQ” Texans claim as their god given heritage but are really based on old Jewish recipes for brisket), but for 95% of it I view Texas a just a bigger, richer Arkansas or Mississippi with far more white rednecks shooting Yosemite Samlike at all times.

Now Phoenix and Tucson (which I like better) are a really underrated metro area. All four major sports, big diversity of food, and big name music and comedy acts coming in all the time. We don’t think of it much in Florida, but I definitely love the area and would have it in my top 10.
Phoenix and Tuscon are not one area. Two very separate, very different cities.

Reactions: goldmom
Phoenix and Tuscon are not one area. Two very separate, very different cities.

I understand, I’ve been there plenty of times. But they are only an hour and a half apart and like Milwaukee and Chicago or Baltimore and DC they are separate but a linked Metro system. Between the two I’d rather live in Tucson and then go in to Phoenix for the sports and bigger entertainment options. Tucson is closer to the Sonoita wine regions and is usually 4-5 degrees cooler in temp despite being further South as it’s higher in elevation.

Our little Hill Country town is halfway between #1 and #14...being 45 miles from both is about right.

And when you need to console your grammar police friends, just say "There, their, they're".

Reactions: dmm5157 and 62Nole

Blah, blah, blah, I hate Texas. Blah, blah, blah, blah, I hate Texas. Blah, blah, blah.

More tripe from tribe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT