ADVERTISEMENT

Best Pontoon Boat for Family Cruising

Nole-Esq.

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2006
In the market for a pontoon boat to take out on the lake. I’ll do some fishing but the big idea is family bonding and comfort.

Any opinions on bang for the buck for a relative novice?

Reactions: Nole Daddy
344b51c9e5c7c618b6ba0af746d62f6e.jpg

In the market for a pontoon boat to take out on the lake. I’ll do some fishing but the big idea is family bonding and comfort.

Hurricane makes a very good Pontoon boat. I have a Hurricane Deck Boat( not Pontoon) and we love it.

Like this

And of course you can get bigger or smaller

Reactions: Nole-Esq.

One other thing is don’t listen to people that say boating is not worth it. If you use your boat a lot then it is worth it. If you are the type that thinks you won’t use it much then it is not for you. I have owned 2 boats, with one awful experience and one great experience. With the awful experience is I had a used Mako that ended up having a lot of engine problems. Then my wife got pregnant and we were not using it. I sold it. Then some years later we bought a new Hurricane and have loved it.

Last edited:
Agree with the above suggestions of renting initially.

Avalon and Bennington are regarded as the nicest high-end pontoon boats. The price tags of their deluxe models are pretty breathtaking, considering it is still a pontoon boat.

Wifey has actually made some noise about getting a pontoon boat, to my utter mortification. Something about more room for her little friends. Please.....what's next, a mini-van??? Don't worry.....JHN is way too stylish for that.....could you imagine???

Avalon and Bennington are regarded as the nicest high-end pontoon boats. The price tags of their deluxe models are pretty breathtaking, considering it is still a pontoon boat.

Wifey has actually made some noise about getting a pontoon boat, to my utter mortification. Something about more room for her little friends. Please.....what's next, a mini-van??? Don't worry.....JHN is way too stylish for that.....could you imagine???

Take her friends for a ride like this and you don't have to worry about them coming back.

CwWzGmJ.gif

One other thing is don’t listen to people that say boating is not worth it. If you use your boat a lot then it is worth it.

I live on the Apalachicola river. I have probably logged 500 miles on the river this summer.

It's a fun time. It's fun to redneck beach it on a sandbar with beer, ride, or fish.

I have done more miles on freshwater than I have on a motorcycle this year, and we will ride down to Apalachicola City, eat, and go to the brewery all on the water. It soley depends on what you want to do.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
He can spin that how he wants to. Running 60mph on the water is probably relative to exceeding 125 mph on your vehicle in the sense of what special equipment you need to accomplish it.

Hi end bass boats and recreational speed boats etc reach those speeds. It is the aboslute extreme end of the non professional. So, if you want to run 125 while standing up, in a two piece, and not buckled in is your business.

It's seriously negligent and niave, and the guy is trying to cover his ass about a rouge wave and the only accident on the water. They hit a wake being foolish. They are lucky.

He can spin that how he wants to. Running 60mph on the water is probably relative to exceeding 125 mph on your vehicle in the sense of what special equipment you need to accomplish it.

Hi end bass boats and recreational speed boats etc reach those speeds. It is the aboslute extreme end of the non professional. So, if you want to run 125 while standing up, in a two piece, and not buckled in is your business.

It's seriously negligent and niave, and the guy is trying to cover his ass about a rouge wave and the only accident on the water. They hit a wake being foolish. They are lucky.
The guy that started Bonefish died running his boat at 100 mph. His friend claimed he hit a rogue wave. It was really windy that day and bay was heavily churned up. They didn't find his body for at least a couple of days. Luckily the two girls in the boat lived.

The guy that started Bonefish died running his boat at 100 mph. His friend claimed he hit a rogue wave. It was really windy that day and bay was heavily churned up. They didn't find his body for at least a couple of days. Luckily the two girls in the boat lived.
What are those 100mph cruise boats... $500K?

Rogue waves happen in the bay.

The idiots running 60-70 mph hit a wake in a tight lake, and standing up. It takes so much horsepower to run those boats that fast due to the density of water and square of drag. It's in "rare air" to run those speeds and on, and few understand it.

What are those 100mph cruise boats... $500K?

Rogue waves happen in the bay.

The idiots running 60-70 mph hit a wake in a tight lake, and standing up. It takes so much horsepower to run those boats that fast due to the density of water and square of drag. It's in "rare air" to run those speeds and on, and few understand it.
He was in a Spectre catamaran. You can get into a used one as cheap as 100k.

There aren't really what one would consider rogue waves in Tampa Bay. It gets very rough in high winds and waves vary in size, but that's normal. Occasionally, you will see a wave come across the bay when it's dead calm, but that isn't a rogue wave, it's a boat wake from far away.

Reactions: Phinhead
I’ve seen that probably hundreds of times, and while I realize that people got hurt, part of me still chuckles when I watch it (I’m a jerk, no shock there).
Me too, I think because they’re all trying to look so cool for the camera.

Cap’n got crunched.

Reactions: EconSean

I do sugggest that you rent a pontoon boat first and see if it fits your needs. I made sure I rented the type of boat I was looking at buying, so i had an idea what I was getting. Do not buy a boat with out taking it out on the water first too.

Last edited:
I do sugggest that you rent a pontoon boat first and see if it fits your needs. I made sure i renyed the type of boat I was need up buying, so i had an idea what I was getting. Do not buy a boat with out taking it out on the water first too.

I knew I came to the right place with this question. Thanks for all of the advice. I understand the Pontoon Boat is not exactly a chick magnet, but I signed off any hope of masculine self respect - like a TAMU Yell Leader - when I tied the knot. If I have a seafaring vessel that allows me to enjoy the water while the family sunbathes, I can get over being judged by the cooler mariners.

I knew I came to the right place with this question. Thanks for all of the advice. I understand the Pontoon Boat is not exactly a chick magnet, but I signed off any hope of masculine self respect - like a TAMU Yell Leader - when I tied the knot. If I have a seafaring vessel that allows me to enjoy the water while the family sunbathes, I can get over being judged by the cooler mariners.
I woukd not worry about how you look, and I sure as heck don’t look down on people with pontoon boats( I reserve that for paddle boarders lol). Find what works for you. I was looking into pontoon boats myself years ago but I found that many of them het too wet inside the boat. My feet were soaked and I did not like that. Now they have plenty of pontoon boats that this is not a problem.

Another thing is that people feel that pontoon boat are all slow, but that is not the case anymore. You can fly on some of them depending on the motor size.

Oh and since you are using your boat on a lake then you will have mostly calm water and you could stay dry on most days. I use my boat in the intracoastal and ocean, so that was a big thing for me.

Last edited:
Hurricane makes a very good Pontoon boat. I have a Hurricane Deck Boat( not Pontoon) and we love it.
We rented one of those last month on vacation. That was a nice boat. Took it from North Captiva up to Costa Caya, then Boca Grande, down to Captiva and then back to North Captiva.

We rented one of those last month on vacation. That was a nice boat. Took it from North Captiva up to Costa Caya, then Boca Grande, down to Captiva and then back to North Captiva.
Cayo Costa, or "The real Florida" as their T shirt and brochure says. I love that place. I take people down from st Pete a few times each year. Wish I could afford a cabin there. Among other things there is a really cool sandbar near the lagoon that shoots straight out into the Gulf. Sometimes you can walk out on hundreds of feet. At a calm low tide it's like walking on water.

Reactions: Bartdog
I woukd not worry about how you look, and I sure as heck don’t look down on people with pontoon boats( I reserve that for paddle boarders lol). Find what works for you. I was looking into pontoon boats myself years ago but I found that many of them for too wet inside the boat. My feet were soaked and I did not like that. Now they have plenty of pontoon boats that this is not a problem.

Another thing is that people feel that pontoon boat are all slow, but that is not the case anymore. You can fly on some of them depending on the motor size.

Oh and since you are using your boat on a lake then you will have mostly calm water and you could stay dry on most days. I use my boat in the intracoastal and ocean, so that was a big thing for me.
Pontoon boats are way underrated. Most people don't need a boat that can handle big water because they aren't going in in that anyway.

However, if you want a more capable boat, Tri-toons have the room of pontoons and better seakeeping ability. Many commercial tours use tritoons. The downside though is that they aren't cheap.

Pontoon boats are way underrated. Most people don't need a boat that can handle big water because they aren't going in in that anyway.

However, if you want a more capable boat, Tri-toons have the room of pontoons and better seakeeping ability. Many commercial tours use tritoons. The downside though is that they aren't cheap.
I agree especially since the OP is looking to do
lake boating.

Just pulled the trigger on a Landau Island Breeze 232 yesterday....guy who is selling it had a stroke last year and is moving from New Smyrna up to South Carolina and the marina he was going to keep it at got destroyed from the storm so he had to dump it. 2 years old with 72 hours on it. Motor under warranty for 3 more years. 115 Suzuki, GPS with depth finder, blue tooth, vinyl floor, changing room, toilet, live well....really looking forward to lots of redneck cruising

island-breeze-232-04.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on a Landau Island Breeze 232 yesterday....guy who is selling it had a stroke last year and is moving from New Smyrna up to South Carolina and the marina he was going to keep it at got destroyed from the storm so he had to dump it. 2 years old with 72 hours on it. Motor under warranty for 3 more years. 115 Suzuki, GPS with depth finder, blue tooth, vinyl floor, changing room, toilet, live well....really looking forward to lots of redneck cruising

island-breeze-232-04.jpg

0582088f4dc02150051bf15425961560.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT