ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Mowens to call MNF, but who was the first women to call an NFL game?

Calif_Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2007
Is she any good or is this just another PC move?

Reactions: Tlb06
They're trying to work the ladies into being the play-by-play rather than color commentary

group-photo-of-everyone-who-cares-26998630.png

They're trying to work the ladies into being the play-by-play rather than color commentary
You say that but Doris Burke is one of the best color basketball announcers around. Beth Mowins is fine, she can't be worse than Steve Levy.

Reactions: jpicc21
You say that but Doris Burke is one of the best color basketball announcers around. Beth Mowins is fine, she can't be worse than Steve Levy.

I don't have a problem with a female color announcer. Women just don't play football so it many would have a hard time buying into their expertise

Whoa, Nelly? I could be wrong but I think Keith Jackson played at the University of Washington. If I'm wrong about this,
some hacker has seized my computer and is writing in my name, the bastard.

Whoa, Nelly? I could be wrong but I think Keith Jackson played at the University of Washington. If I'm wrong about this,
some hacker has seized my computer and is writing in my name, the bastard.
Jackson went to Washington State. I can't find any record of him playing there. He was calling Wazzu games while he was still a student in 1952.

Beth Mowins is terrible. Already flipped the channel to something else. She needs to stick with college softball or bowling and let the guys who actually know football handle the MNF broadcast. Just more ESPN PC nonsense being shoved down our throats. This just in - NFL ratings continue to decline. Watching entitled millionaire athletes "take a knee" during the national anthem and hearing a tired college softball announcer do the play-by-play isn't why fans turn in.

Reactions: trunole1
Beth Mowins is terrible. Already flipped the channel to something else. She needs to stick with college softball or bowling and let the guys who actually know football handle the MNF broadcast. Just more ESPN PC nonsense being shoved down our throats. This just in - NFL ratings continue to decline. Watching entitled millionaire athletes "take a knee" during the national anthem and hearing a tired college softball announcer do the play-by-play isn't why fans turn in.
You seem upset

Before seeing this thread it didn't even register to me that the play by play person was a woman, she's doing a fine job and gender has nothing to do with it.

As for no one tuning in to see someone take a knee, it's simple, just tune in 2 mins later than you normally would. Problem solved.

You can thank me later.

She wasn't bad. She wasn't Howard Cosell, Jack Buck or Vin Scully. She was ok. In my estimation puts her right in the meaty part of the curve.

Let's not pretend because she didn't play football she can't understand football, hasn't worked as professional broadcaster for years, or is incapable of 'saying words'. Because the last time I checked, those seemed to be the minimum requirements for a play by play job.

Can't imagine she took that Monday night gig last night from a more deserving man. Don't know why the sound of an average play call during a football game has so many men fired up. You'd think she threw metaphors in the broadcast about menstration and childbirth to hear some talk about it...

Last edited:
Reactions: ReliableOstrich
FSU’s own Gayle Sierens, longtime sports then co-anchor at Tampa’s WFLA. I remember watching that game, it’s a shame a contract dispute prevented her from doing it more than once. She was originally going to call games all season.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/before-she-was-a-tampa-legend-gayle-sierens-was-an-nfl-trailblazer/2324574

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-preview-beth-mowins-20170909-story.html

Gayle was a good friend Tommy brother when he was playing at FSU. She actually spent a Christmas with our family one year. She was great then and obviously went on to great things. Her goal was always to be the first woman to call a game and she achieved it. Awesome to see this clip. Thanks for sharing!

sorry ploy by espn. it doesn't work
unless you've played the game

By all accounts, Gene Deckerhoff, Keith Jackson and Al Michaels didn't play football either.

@PANolefan how would you respond to the comment above by @ChiefWB?

Like someone else said, I simply don't understand why so many guys are rustled or feeling insecure about this.

Was she Howard Cosell? No. But honestly she was above average, added some excitement with her inflection, and kept Rex Ryan from making a fool of himself. So I'd say it was a success. Far better than some of the folks ABC has rolled out for MNF (#DennisMiller).

Reactions: ChiefWB
Not insecure at all, but I think women play by play announcers sound weird. disagree?
Of course by the same token I find very few announcers male or female that I really care for. They all seem to be rather inane, stuck on themselves, and blind homers for the designated favorite every week.

Question for the day? When football starts I am always reminded how difficult it is for any football announcers to use the word Early or Earlier?... It is always EARLY ON! I am still trying to figure why there is never a Early off! One of life's great mysteries! lol:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT