ADVERTISEMENT

Blade Runner 2049

SoddyNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 9, 2009
A fantastic movie that met and exceeded my expectations. A great combination of acting, visuals, sound and story line. This movie simply did not disappoint. Quite rare to have a movie hit all the senses and 2049 did it in spades. There was no doubt you felt like you were in the Blade Runner world, be warned haters of the original, and yet had this movie can stand on it's own.

5 stars!

Reactions: HulaNole and RTM58
Sitting in the theater now waiting for it to start. Hope you just didn’t build it up too much for me.

I am going to a matinee tomorrow. The original is one of my favorite movies.

We're you guys the only people in the theaters? It bombed hard at the box office. I look forward to seeing it on Blu-ray.

Reactions: ggmike1992
A stunningly beautiful film. If you enjoyed the original you will enjoy this. The first Blade Runner was just perfect, even though it was slow-paced the first half. So trend-setting and ahead of its time. This is more of the same. A lot of references to the original so if you haven't seen it in awhile it wouldn't hurt to refresh your memory.

Reactions: HulaNole
I would say there were about 25 people in the theater. Santa Fe, NM 3:45 on Sunday. People don’t know what they are missing IMO.

Watched the trailer....looked awful

The original wasn't too well received either for several years until it became a cult classic. This movie is very heavily story driven and you can not capture it in a trailer. When the movie is over you realize you experienced this world and a story that doesn't let go, for myself at least, for 3 hours. Not many films achieve that in today's Hollywood. This movie holds up very well to the original but will fail with enough people to keep it from being a box office smash. Like the original it may too have some staying power and find it's way into becoming a classic.

Last edited:
I wonder if Muches is still around and wonder what he thinks. If I remember correctly, he was a huge fan of the original.

some spoilers below

I was left wanting. Lots of very cool CG, and some scenes were beautifully shot. Felt about 30 minutes too long. I liked that they used some of the same dark shooting of scenes. Many references and throw backs to the original. I felt a lot of the details that made the first so cool were kind of missing in this. The city as a back drop wasn't as fantastic as the original, nor the menagerie of people wasn't there. It felt vanilla compared to the texture / details of the first one. I liked how just a little off Jared Leto's character was. Not sure how I felt about Ryan Gosling.

It wasn't bad, but I just felt like it missed something compared to the first. Perhaps the pedestal was placed too high after the first.

Oh, and the Imax was WAY to effing loud. We get it, you spent a ton on your sound system. I will have to watch this one again now that perhaps I recalibrate my expectations.

<edit> I did think it was a little slow. The scene where he was walking in the orange haze near the end, that was pretty dang cool. Not sure I understood the significance of the bee hives. I did like the slap in the face K wasn't the kid. It also did leave me with a number of questions.

Last edited:
Rutger Hauer > Jared Leto.

They could have made it a shorter movie and but does anyone run a less than 2 hour movie anymore?

Lots of imagery with hands in this movie. The hands symbolize being in touch with nature something that would separate a robot from a human. K put his hand in the bee hive to see if it was real, just as he would pause to feel the snow falling. I will go spoiler on a final thought.

Interesting enough K is the robot that that ends up experiencing all the human emotions even while dying where Stelline, the born bubble girl who is shielded, only interactions are through virtual reality. She too tries to touch the snow but in her world there are no real feelings until she meets K and starts to cry over what he assumes is his memories. K is the special one for reasons we are not given. Just like in the original where Rutgar Hauer surprises us with his showing of free will with mercy towards Deckard.

Are they intending a sequel with the mention of a rebellion? I hope not that is not what that would take away from these two movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
The movie was very long but I can't think of many things that I would've cut out.

I would've rather Jared Leto's be played by an older actor.

Matinee viewing was full in Tally.

The film was a quintessential sci-fi classic.The philosophical waxing of the depth of artificial intelligence has been heating up in the zietgiest between Westworld, the Fallout video game series, and almost every sci-fi franchise touches on it.

I don't want to make things political, but humanity has struggled with welcoming new "types of people" into their equivalent social status. We've struggled with this even when these people ARE people. Imagine how tough it will be when the people aren't technically human beings. It's a fascinating question.

The film even analyzes this inquiry in different layers with a lower-level artificial intelligence. Is it a person? It's hard to say. The film makers lay out their opinion on it quite obviously but these computers are going to start passing the Turing test soon and we're all going to have to ask ourselves some tough questions.

We will miss out on the juiciest problems with AI sentience but I imagine my grand children are going to have to stare a computer in the face and wonder if it has inalienable rights and a soul.

The scary part is, that AI is going to ask the same questions about us.

Why did this movie do so poorly in the box office? Timing of release?

It got great reviews. The original is a cult classic.

A couple of reasons. 1) The marketing mirrored two other bombs Valerian (which I loved) and Ghost in the Shell (which I loved....the original and hated the live action remake) in being style over substance. While Blade Runner IS a pretty deep and well written movie, that’s not really how it was marketed. And Americans especially are not drawn to empty FX extravaganzas alone. So terrible job marketing. 2) A melancholy (at best) dystopian universe is nothing we Americans want to see when the real world is a day after day catastrophe and we’re under threat of our OWN dystopia due to our real life Idiocracy. We need something either more upbeat or something to completely distract us. 3) At nearly 3 hours long it scared off some older viewers. I was supposed to see it with a friend this past weekend but he backed out when he saw the length. He couldn’t get away from his rugrat for that wrong.

Reactions: ericram
A couple of reasons. 1) The marketing mirrored two other bombs Valerian (which I loved) and Ghost in the Shell (which I loved....the original and hated the live action remake) in being style over substance. While Blade Runner IS a pretty deep and well written movie, that’s not really how it was marketed. And Americans especially are not drawn to empty FX extravaganzas alone. So terrible job marketing. 2) A melancholy (at best) dystopian universe is nothing we Americans want to see when the real world is a day after day catastrophe and we’re under threat of our OWN dystopia due to our real life Idiocracy. We need something either more upbeat or something to completely distract us. 3) At nearly 3 hours long it scared off some older viewers. I was supposed to see it with a friend this past weekend but he backed out when he saw the length. He couldn’t get away from his rugrat for that wrong.

Okay, so two questions.

1) If post-catastrophe is such a big turnoff, why do we have so many shows that surround that topic? I think I might agree, but at the same time, there are a lot of that type of show. I do tend to agree people like movies that are feel good, but the end is neigh is a VERY common subject.

2) Is your friend that bailed Asian?

I do agree it could have been marketed better, not sure how tho, the story didn't condense to 45 seconds very well.

Okay, so two questions.

1) If post-catastrophe is such a big turnoff, why do we have so many shows that surround that topic? I think I might agree, but at the same time, there are a lot of that type of show. I do tend to agree people like movies that are feel good, but the end is neigh is a VERY common subject.

I do agree it could have been marketed better, not sure how tho, the story didn't condense to 45 seconds very well.

I don’t think we have THAT many dystopian shows and movies compared to those that are utopian and midcatastrophe (Americans do love a catastrophe movie whether it’s an alien invasion, a meteor, a superstorm or even a sharknado). The only ones I can really think of off the top of my head are Carriers (great low budget movie with Chris Pine), The Road, Children of Men, the Mad Max Series, Waterworld, I AM Legend, Daybreakers and that’s pretty much it. I’m sure there are others and just my list seems a lot but that’s still a tiny fraction. Plus most of those are not slow, emo takes on that post apocalyptic world like Blade Runner(s), most are action packed.

I think there are more than you believe.... I don't have the time to list all I know, so quick search
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_films
Hell, here is an article about just the best ones between the two Blade Runner films. http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/best-dystopian-post-apocalyptic-movies.html
Just apocalypse films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalyptic_films

Now I am sure plenty of debate can be made about what fits into whcih category etc etc. I certainly even question a couple listed. Legomovie?

I would agree the % of these vs total is small, but there seems to be a fair # out there.... Do agree on slow story driven vs action.

Okay, so two questions.

Speaking of marketing, check out this FAR better fan edit trailer. It actually tells a compelling story AND has more interesting action cut in a more intense way.

Compare that to this slow, confusing official trailer.

One of these (the fan version) makes you want to watch a beautiful but action packed movie with a cohesive story while the other is purposefully confusing, slow and lingers WAY too long between most shots (official trailer).

Last edited:
Reactions: funksouljon
Great movie. Bit too long but i thought Gosling, Leto and Penn were excellent, as was the hologram gf.
It was a bit too dark and rainy for my taste and some
Vivid colors could have been a nice change but the cinematography was very well done.

No idea why sales aren’t great, but it will cleanup in award nominations and also become a classic.

Imho its infinitely better as a standalone film than the original, but i cant take the context of what the film meant in the 80s into account. I was too young.

Last edited:
Great movie. Bit too long but i thought Gosling, Leto and Penn were excellent, as was the hologram gf.
It was a but too dark and rainy for my taste and some
Vivid colors could have been a nice change but the cinematography was very well done.

No idea why sales aren’t great, but it will cleanup in award nominations and also become a classic.

Imho its infinitely better as a standalone film than the original, but i cant take the context of what the film meant in the 80s into account. I was too young.

I agree about it being overlong. It’s cut in a very slow, languid pace. I don’t even think you would need to trim any story or dialogue and you could still cut out 20-30 mins. It’s like the cinematographer was given final cut.

I saw/read a review somewhere that mentioned the pacing of the movie was intentional. A way to submerse the viewer completely into the environment. I can kind of see that. I recognize this but was still able to just go along for the ride.

Gosling has a lot of deliberately slow walks, that honestly add 15 minutes to the film, however, I didn’t mimd them at first as I didn’t know when action would occur and it added some suspense. After a while I realized it was unnecessary, but still really liked the film.

Took a while for me to be able to see it. Stayed away from this thread until I got back from overseas just in case there were spoilers.

So glad I went to see this in a theater. I love the original score by Vangelis and so happy they kept that tone of music. The visual and sound of the film on the big screen was worth it to me. Best movie I have seen in a long time but then again, my favorite pure sci-fi film is Blade Runner.

The characters played by Leto and Hauer in the two movies have totally different roles. Not sure how that comparison was made but I probably missed the point of the post.

Also the best thing I did was watch the three videos Denis Villeneuve had some other directors create which are posted on YouTube that take place between Blade Runner (2019) and Blade Runner (2049).

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "Black Out 2022" Anime Short
BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "2036: Nexus Dawn" Short
BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "2048: Nowhere to Run" Short

Last edited:
It was long and you had to think. It suffered from a deliberate pace and there wasn't a lot of nudity, sex or fart jokes.

Pretty much. Ever notice how the dumb comedies have tons of marketing money poured into them. Sandler, James, Wahlberg, Ferrell, etc seem to be on the standard Eisen, Patrick, LeBatard, M&M, etc. shows weekly for movies that just don't appeal to me at all.

Denis Villeneuve is giving a talk and being interviewed by the AI team at Google.

Which ones to people flock to see? Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT