ADVERTISEMENT

Bohemian Rhapsody movie

So what was the Deadpool joke?

The intro to SuperTroopers had my brother and I peeing our pants the first time we saw it. Barely anyone else was laughing (the theater was pretty empty) and we left the theater in pain from the LMAO with no regard.

I had the same happen for me in the Deadpool movie. For me it was the "Are you there God, its me Margaret" line when he's on the bridge cutting off his hands. I lol'd and was the only one in the theater that appeared to have gotten the reference.

I had the same happen for me in the Deadpool movie. For me it was the "Are you there God, its me Margaret" line when he's on the bridge cutting off his hands. I lol'd and was the only one in the theater that appeared to have gotten the reference.

Yep, that was it for me. Did we discuss this before LOL?

It took like one beat for me to connect the joke, and then I burst laugh in an other wise quiet theater.

For anyone that doesn't know it, Are You There God, It's Me Margaret is a Judy Blume book. Deadpool just says the title when he's cut his hand off and blood is spurting all over the place.

That book is famous for, or was, being a story (partially) about a girl getting her first period. In the 70s/80s, that was still a fairly remarkable thing to be in a childrens/young adult book, and one that was available in almost all school libraries. It might be strong to say it was controverial (a couple of her other books that touched on masturbation and wet dreams were pretty scandalous), but Are You There God It's Me Margaret was pretty famously known for being the "period book."

So when he says it, it's quite the non-sequiter, until you put together what's the one thing that everyone knows about that book (if you're old enough for it to have been a thing). And when you put it together...it hits hard. Clever and gross and a little off-color at the same time.

(too be clear, I'm not saying periods are gross, the blood spurting out of his stump all over the place is gross)

Highlander soundtrack is numero uno for me - particularly

One Year Of Love :
Written by John Deacon

Who Wants To Live Forever
Written by Brian May
This has become a popular dirge

Hammer To Fall

I was joking. You are right, Highlander soundtrack is pretty solid. I always liked Hammer to Fall, interesting how some songs don't take off. I have always like Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, but that also isn't big in the US.

Saw it yesterday.

It was okay.

Howard Steen crushed it as the lead guitarist, I was surprised!

One scene had me laugh out with how cheesy it was.

Spoiler (kind of)

The scene where Freddy and the band are arguing and it begins to escalate; then the bassist who is sitting off to the side minding his own business begins to play the bass line of “another one bites the dust” while they argue.

Suddenly the band stops in the midst of the argument and begins to nod their heads up and down...and boom, they all bro-hug it out and write the song.

It was kind of dumb if you as me.

Reactions: KevNole
tumblr_phkksoqTWn1u4mwxfo1_500.gif

We saw the movie yesterday - during the first half of the ND game. Probably enjoyed the movie a whole lot more than the game ;) Great soundtrack and Malik was a convincing Freddy Mercury. Hard to believe he died 27 years ago!

We saw the movie yesterday - during the first half of the ND game. Probably enjoyed the movie a whole lot more than the game ;) Great soundtrack and Malik was a convincing Freddy Mercury. Hard to believe he died 27 years ago!
A previous poster gave the movie a B-. I assure you our first half (as well as the entire game) was an F...So you made a wise decision going with BR.

I haven't missed many games I could watch the last 50 years but I felt I made the appropriate choice ;)
If Mercury were still around, I'm sure that he could compose one cracker of an epic song documenting our program's tragic downfall....

Littlefinger was one of the best characters in GoT until the last season when they turned him into a schmuck. I was rooting for him to get the throne.

Agreed. I also think Tyrion's wit made/make him one of the best. He "evolved" a bit when he took an adult role, I liked him much more as the cocky, flippant, brooding, drunken dwarf.

I've been looking forward to this movie for a while. At 37, Queen's prime was before my true "getting in to music" phase. However, I know that a ton of their songs are part of my every day (Somebody to Love, We Will Rock you, BR, This thing called love, and many more), and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Malek will probably win the Oscar for best actor. I didn't know the depth of the Queen story, and obviously some embellishment was done for the sake of theatricality, but I never had a moment where the movie dragged for me. I knew Meyers was in the movie from a spot he did on Colbert, so when he came on and delivered the line about needing the next hit to be something that kids could jam in their car to, I had a good laugh.

Also, while it doesn't need to be seen in IMAX, I would highly recommend it seen in a Dolby/ATMOS theater.

My Mr. Robot fan wife talked me into going last night, I would give it a 6, typical rock band bio, pretty cliche'd and sanitized, was hoping for something a bit darker. Since the movie centered on Freddie, they could have explained at least a semblance of Mercury's early musical formation before Queen as opposed to the continual soap opera sniping between his love interests. I was an early Queen fan, saw them twice, really put on a good show. I bought the first four albums and then lost interest as they got too commercial. Mercury hadn't gotten full control of the band in their early stages, I have always wished May had steered them in a more prog rock direction, see songs{Prophet's Song or Great King Rat}. Instead Freddie took them sell out mainstream with the sing-a-long stuff and went after the top forty market. This has happened to so many bands, Michael McDonald to the Doobies, Steve Perry to Journey, Phil Collins to Genesis, yech.

Reactions: NoleLizards
My Mr. Robot fan wife talked me into going last night, I would give it a 6, typical rock band bio, pretty cliche'd and sanitized, was hoping for something a bit darker. Since the movie centered on Freddie, they could have explained at least a semblance of Mercury's early musical formation before Queen as opposed to the continual soap opera sniping between his love interests. I was an early Queen fan, saw them twice, really put on a good show. I bought the first four albums and then lost interest as they got too commercial. Mercury hadn't gotten full control of the band in their early stages, I have always wished May had steered them in a more prog rock direction, see songs{Prophet's Song or Great King Rat}. Instead Freddie took them sell out mainstream with the sing-a-long stuff and went after the top forty market. This has happened to so many bands, Michael McDonald to the Doobies, Steve Perry to Journey, Phil Collins to Genesis, yech.

My 15 year old has gotten on a Queen kick and played me those exact two songs for me a couple days ago. I appreciated them, especially Great King Rat, but it's funny, he has way more prog-rock sensibilities than I do. I think I don't have a very musically nuanced ear, which lends itself to me liking tight, well crafted 3-4 minute bangers most of the time. Fat Bottom Girls or Tie Your Mother Down any day of the week for me. But my son digs that more elaborate stuff...loves Pink Floyd's Division Bell...but I'll take See Emily Play or Young Lust, thank you.

Reactions: hatsbo
That Album almost single-handledly got me through a 7 month cruise.

Nice. A couple years ago driving home late at night to Atlanta after an FSU game he wanted to put it on for me because of how great he thought it was, and I'd mentioned I didn't know if I'd ever listed to it all the way through. It was everything I could do to keep it from putting me to sleep and putting us into a south Georgia cotton field. And having to say "yeah, it's great!"

But he wears a Division Bell shirt so school once a week. I'm the one that got him into these bands, but it's actually gratifying to see his tastes branch off and not just mimic mine.

Knowing his tastes, I told him to try some Gabriel-era Genesis, something I pretty much don't know, as much as know of. That didn't really work for him though for whatever reason.

Nice. A couple years ago driving home late at night to Atlanta after an FSU game he wanted to put it on for me because of how great he thought it was, and I'd mentioned I didn't know if I'd ever listed to it all the way through. It was everything I could do to keep it from putting me to sleep and putting us into a south Georgia cotton field. And having to say "yeah, it's great!"........

haha, yes, it isn't a turn it up and jam out on a road trip music, but its great to block out the world, relax and fall asleep.

Damn. I Was more than ready to get off the ship after 11 days earlier this year.

Yep, we were gearing up for a Med cruise, Hurricane Felix arrived and so liberty was canceled, we spent a week avoiding the storm at sea, then hit port, loaded everyone who DIDN'T get canceled, and then steamed for 3 days to get across the Atlantic. Then an extended to 7.5 months cruise because of the Bosnian War. I feel great sympathy for our troops on the southern border during the holiday. So technically it was like 8 months in total (when it should be 6).

So Division Bell really helped me "get away".

Saw it, liked it. I'm not a huge queen fan, but their songs are prolific. I can't imagine the money they have made off of royalties. Crazy.

Saw it today. Wasn't much of a Queen follower but enjoyed the heck out of the movie.
Looked up some stuff tonight about them after Live Aid. He actually wasn't diagnosed with HIV until 1987. Live Aid was in 1985.
I didn't know he could play the piano, I thought he was just a singer.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
If Mercury were still around, I'm sure that he could compose one cracker of an epic song documenting our program's tragic downfall....

Who wants to live forever.
“There's no chance for us
It's all decided for us
This world has only one
Sweet moment set aside for us
Who wants to live forever?
Who wants to live forever?
Who?”

That Album almost single-handledly got me through a 7 month cruise.
Just listened to The Division Bell after the game Saturday night...Beautiful album!

For any of you fellow prog-rock appreciators: If you haven't checked out a band called Porcupine Tree, do so at your earliest convenience. (I'd suggest In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet, for starters.) You're welcome in advance.

Reactions: hatsbo
Looked up some stuff tonight about them after Live Aid. He actually wasn't diagnosed with HIV until 1987. Live Aid was in 1985.

The movie correctly revises the previous timeline regarding when Freddie was diagnosed. He looked fine at Live Aid in 85; he looked unlike himself at Wembley in 86; Queen stopped touring (with Freddie) in August of 86. I don't know EXACTLY when Freddie was diagnosed - and the movie probably jostled things a bit to show his diagnosis right before the big event where Queen killed it - but in 86 Freddie looked crappy but still gave epic performances. In the Wembley concert videos Freddie is sweating like a pig - it was July) - but still wearing a long sleeved jacket to cover how emaciated he was becoming.

Live Aid 85 - looking like he always did
entertainmentmusic-live-aid-concert-wembley-london-england-13th-july-picture-id79031496

Wembley 86 - looking like hell but giving it his all, one last tour. This concert was on July 11th, they finished the tour on August 9th
1195479.jpg

Wembley 86 - saying "look at me, I am not sick!"
1265747_508277962579719_490362184_o.jpg

Emaciated Freddie in '88 - that tux is way too big for him
barcelona.jpg

When we were kids, TV specials and commonly-held notions stated that sharks have to keep moving forward or die. We now know that are dozens of species that chill on the bottom and sleep. Sometimes we are given wrong information for years. Freddie didn't publicly admit to having HIV/AIDS until 24 hours before he died.

There are a lot of fans who are enraged about the movie taking liberty with sequence of events for telling a simple story. <shrug> movie vs documentary

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT