ADVERTISEMENT

Book Recommendations

jgking83

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2007
I'd like to read/listen to as many books as possible in 2019. Looking for some recommendations.

Interests:
Finances/Investing
History/Politics/Military
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!

I'd like to read/listen to as many books as possible in 2019. Looking for some recommendations.

Interests:
Finances/Investing
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State
Help a brother out!
Helmet For My Pillow (Leckie), With the Old Breed (Sledge), The Last Frontiersman (Campbell)

The Culture Code
Hey, I'm considering real estate as a second career after I retire from the Army. Any recommendations for me to get ahead? I'm three years out from my transition to the civilian world.

Apologize if you're not in real estate. Assumptions and whatnot.

Hey, I'm considering real estate as a second career after I retire from the Army. Any recommendations for me to get ahead? I'm three years out from my transition to the civilian world.

Apologize if you're not in real estate. Assumptions and whatnot.

I’ll be happy to send you some information. Do you know what type of real estate? Residential? Commercial?

Reactions: jgking83
I’ll be happy to send you some information. Do you know what type of real estate? Residential? Commercial?
I have no preference. Sent you my email. Please let me know if you didn't receive it.

John Maxwell has two books that are similar- 5 Levels of Leadership, and How Successful People Lead. Both break down what makes good leaders. I haven't read Patrick Lencioni, but he's a great conference speaker.

Any spy novel by Brad Thor, Nelson DeMille, RJ Patterson or Ben Coes. Any Lee Child Jack Reacher book except the latest. David Balducci’s latest Long Road to Mercy with a female hero which is refreshing. Bill Clinton’s novel with James Patterson was a fun read. And if you want non fiction which touches sports , try Clay Travis’ book

Any spy novel by Brad Thor, Nelson DeMille, RJ Patterson or Ben Coes. Any Lee Child Jack Reacher book except the latest. David Balducci’s latest Long Road to Mercy with a female hero which is refreshing. Bill Clinton’s novel with James Patterson was a fun read. And if you want non fiction which touches sports , try Clay Travis’ book
Never got into Brad Thor. Just don't like his writing style. The character dialogue sucks.
Can't go wrong with Vince Flynn ( Mitch Rapp series), Lee Child ( Jack Reacher series), Michael Connelly ( Harry Bosch series) or Tom Clancey.
They've continued the Vince Flynn and Clancey books after their deaths. Haven't read any of that.

If you are into sci fi\alternate history stuff I highly recommend the Emberverse series by S.M Stirling. And if you haven't read it, Dune is the greatest sci fi novel of all time. I am also partial to the classics. The Count of Monte Cristo being my favorite

Rick Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy (US Army in Europe WW2)

William Manchester’s biography of Churchill - The Last Lion - three volumes

Islands in the Stream - Hemingway

The Last Battle - Cornelius Ryan

The Black Swan - Taleb

The Essays of Warren Buffett- edited by Cunningham ( or just read the annual reports)

Rick Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy (US Army in Europe WW2)

William Manchester’s biography of Churchill - The Last Lion - three volumes

Islands in the Stream - Hemingway

The Last Battle - Cornelius Ryan

The Black Swan - Taleb

The Essays of Warren Buffett- edited by Cunningham ( or just read the annual reports)
Good list! Thank you.

I have a great list to get started. I appreciate all of your input! Hope you all have an incredible 2019.

Go Noles!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
If we're going to talk Spy Novels... The Gabriel Allon series will provide you with weeks of reading enjoyment. I think there's like 17 or 18 in the series. My husband is currently rereading them. I'm surprised that he hasn't bought the Harry Bosch novel yet.

If we're going to talk Spy Novels... The Gabriel Allon series will provide you with weeks of reading enjoyment. I think there's like 17 or 18 in the series. My husband is currently rereading them. I'm surprised that he hasn't bought the Harry Bosch novel yet.

Have you read Jackdaws? Another Follett classic. It's centered around the true story of an all female spy team sent into occupied France during WWII. Fantastic book.

Reactions: cobb66
  • Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World - Jack Weatherford
  • Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
  • From Beirut to Jerusalem - Thomas Friedman
  • The Conquest of New Spain - Bernal Diaz
  • The Closing of the Western Mind: The Rise of Faith and the Fall of Reason - Charles Freeman
  • Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army - Jeremy Scahill
  • Dirty Wars: The World is a Battlefield - Jeremy Scahill

Last edited:

I can’t believe I forgot about Daniel Silva. My no 1 favorite.

• Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World - Jack Weatherford
  • Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond
  • From Beirut to Jerusalem - Thomas Friedman
  • The Conquest of New Spain - Bernal Diaz
  • The Closing of the Western Mind: The Rise of Faith and the Fall of Reason - Charles Freeman
  • Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army - Jeremy Scahill
  • Dirty Wars: The World is a Battlefield - Jeremy Scahill

This is a great list. Beirut to Jerusalem is an excellent - but long - read.

I’d add Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss.

I know someone else mentioned, but Guns, Germs, and Steel is must-read non-fiction!

Also highly recommend Eric Foner’s Reconstruction. Essential.

Only book I ever read about finance was The Wisdom of Finance. Not a “nuts and bolts” book, but very, very good.

Enjoy! And I’d love to see you revisit this thread after you’ve read any of the recs folks have given!

The Conquerors by Michael Beschloss

John Adams and Truman both by David McCullough

American Creation by Joseph Ellis

Things That Matter by Charles Krauthammier

James Madison by Ralph Ketcham

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Last edited:
I know someone else mentioned, but Guns, Germs, and Steel is must-read non-fiction!

Also highly recommend Eric Foner’s Reconstruction. Essential.

Only book I ever read about finance was The Wisdom of Finance. Not a “nuts and bolts” book, but very, very good.

Enjoy! And I’d love to see you revisit this thread after you’ve read any of the recs folks have given!
For sure! Thank you.

I'm assuming the OP has already devoured the classics, but if not here are a few I enjoyed:

Moby Dick

A Tale of Two Cities

David Copperfield

Treasure Island

Kidnapped

Heart of Darkness

Huckleberry Finn

The Philly Consipacy

To Kill A Mockingbird

Reactions: traumaboyy
I really do appreciate all the input. As I finish these I'll mention them here. My goal is to read 100 books this year.

Between you all and Facebook, I have about 100 titles that range from agriculture to spies. Time to get in the books!

First in line:
The Intelligent Investor and Extreme Ownership

For those who don’t mind really long reads...

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearnes Goodwin. A comprehensive biography of Lincoln but moreso the greatest leadership book I’ve ever read. Illustrates how Lincoln built his cabinet out with political rivals who were all more qualified than him. But it’s how he led and navigated this and them to accomplish the overall collective good that embodies what leadership truly is.

The Making is the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. Slow going at first but hang in there. It’s the best non-fiction book I’ve ever read and I’ve read hundreds. Weaves the discovery of the atom and the power it couldn’t potentially unleash with the conflicts of of the 20th century. You already know how it ends but absolutely fascinating some of the stories leading up to it.

Reactions: goldmom

Interests:
Finances/Investing
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!
Randy Wayne White
CJ Box

Reactions: goldmom
Randy Wayne White
CJ Box
CJ isn't as widely known but his Western themed books are highly popular in of all places France! I've never been to France but I've been to the part of the West he writes about and I love his books.
I've also enjoyed RWW' books and have been to his Sanibel restaurant.
If you're fond of that kind of character based fiction, try John Sandford. His Minnesota based LEO guys are great.

Reactions: jbm7077 and fsuhd
Florida: what was and what is -

61o5KgZrwiL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN 0970961618
51wIbpNzNsL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN 0813012287
417NROh90rL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN 091828631X

ADVERTISEMENT