ADVERTISEMENT

Atlanta Braves thread

JonScott

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2001
Needed a new thread .... not a good day for the Atlanta bullpen.

What are the expectations for this year? Is the bullpen still a weakness?

Reactions: SoddyNole
It’s going to be really hard to repeat as division champs this year. Nationals with the great rotation and the additions that Philly made to their lineup.

Bullpen is going to be the downfall this year.

It’s going to be really hard to repeat as division champs this year. Nationals with the great rotation and the additions that Philly made to their lineup.

Bullpen is going to be the downfall this year.
Phillies batting order is impressive.

There is no lead so large but Tehran can make it a close game.

Last edited:
I went to bed with a 4 - 0 lead in the 4th feeling very good about the game with how Tehran was pitching. Apparently that changed quickly in the 5th lol.

That was hysterically funny!
Smh at Braves relievers .... against the Dbacks sobotka comes in in the 7th with a 5-2 lead hits two batters, walks the third. Biddle comes in, gives up a single, 5-4, walks the next batter to load the bases, again. Now Jackson is in ... gives up a single, 5-5. Ground out, now 6-5. Intentional walk followed by a strike out (on what would have been ball 4), and finally a third strike out. Middle relief is scary.

Smh at Braves relievers .... against the Dbacks sobotka comes in in the 7th with a 5-2 lead hits two batters, walks the third. Biddle comes in, gives up a single, 5-4, walks the next batter to load the bases, again. Now Jackson is in ... gives up a single, 5-5. Ground out, now 6-5. Intentional walk followed by a strike out (on what would have been ball 4), and finally a third strike out. Middle relief is scary.
Minter gives up a home run in the ninth followed by a double, walk ... now taken out. The relievers are essentially the same guys that were not very good last year. Rookie rp Webb makes his appearance and gives up a double after acuna was unable to make a running catch. Now 9-6. Webb retires the side. Relievers have given up 7 runs in three innings. Yikes!

I fell asleep when it was tied 6-6 and just shook my head while reading the box score this morning. Sickening when you get a game winning offensive performance coupled with solid starting pitching and just absolutely throw it away with millionaires who can't throw strikes!

I fell asleep when it was tied 6-6 and just shook my head while reading the box score this morning. Sickening when you get a game winning offensive performance coupled with solid starting pitching and just absolutely throw it away with millionaires who can't throw strikes!
Starters have generally pitched well. Fried did not have his best stuff last night but was still very good. But starters must shudder when the relief pitchers come in. Still surprised the Braves did not upgrade their BP. Ventners was put on 10 day IL with an ERA over 15. I know it’s still early but that carryover BP from last year doesn’t give much reason for optimism. Maybe they expect the rookie Webb to be an answer.

Last edited:
Much better effort by relievers so far tonight.
Uh oh ...Minter in in the ninth .... gets the first two and then gives up two singles. ... manages to get out of the inning with a groundout.

Uh oh ...Minter in in the ninth .... gets the first two and then gives up two singles. ... manages to get out of the inning with a groundout.
Biddle in the tenth: 2 outs, 3 walks, throwing error on bunt to first, now Braves down 3-2, walked go ahead run. Not sure why Snitker left him in. Walker gets third out.

You have to hold you breath with Minter coming in late in the game, always seems to be a lot of drama. Not sure throwing Biddle out there two nights in a row in high pressure situations is advisable at this time when he obviously doesn't have his A game and has issues getting near the strike zone when he is off.

Reactions: JonScott
You have to hold you breath with Minter coming in late in the game, always seems to be a lot of drama. Not sure throwing Biddle out there two nights in a row in high pressure situations is advisable at this time when he obviously doesn't have his A game and has issues getting near the strike zone when he is off.
He pitched to two batters the night before giving up a hit and a walk. Minter is always a blood pressure test, often getting an out or two and then allowing base runners to put the game on the line.

Another superb pitching performance by Fried, this time against Cleveland. He is nearly un-hittable against left-handed batters. The comparison between Fried and Koufax is fascinating, though it seems that Fried throws with a higher velocity.

Biddle comes in in the sixth ... one out ... walks the first batter ... passed ball ... intentional walk .... walks in a run ... gets pulled .... what does Snitker see here?

Biddle comes in in the sixth ... one out ... walks the first batter ... passed ball ... intentional walk .... walks in a run ... gets pulled .... what does Snitker see here?

His last day in the majors maybe? I don't know what you do with him honestly. He has folded like a cheap tent under pressure of late and can not seem to shake walking people when you absolutely need to get the ball over the plate. Maybe send him down for a few weeks or months to get his act together.

...and teach Ozzie how to bunt for crying out loud! I don't recall seeing him bunt before but that was ugly.

Last edited:
His last day in the majors maybe? I don't know what you do with him honestly. He has folded like a cheap tent under pressure of late and can not seem to shake walking people when you absolutely need to get the ball over the plate. Maybe send him down for a few weeks or months to get his act together.

...and teach Ozzie how to bunt for crying out loud! I don't recall seeing him bunt before but that was ugly.
That was ugly, especially under the circumstances.

Another dreadful relief appearance for Biddle against Colorado.... at some point you can no longer fault Biddle.

Yet another blown save by the bullpen. I have no idea what you can do with this staff. Minter comes in in the ninth ... double ... two strikeouts ... two walks and then a double by Blackmon. Winkler comes in and gives up a three-run blast. What to do?

Last edited:
Yet another blown save by the bullpen. I have no idea what you can do with this staff. Minter comes in in the ninth ... double ... two strikeouts ... two walks and then a double by Blackmon. Winkler comes in and gives up a three-run blast. What to do?
Excellent job by Soroka and relievers Tomlin and Webb against SD

Great relief work by Tomlin. 8th inning bases loaded no outs— ground out to home, two strike outs.

What a great game pitched by Fried!

Reactions: NoleLizards
Friday night, Jose Urena pitches vs Braves!

nT_wkY.gif

Reactions: NoleLizards
Another great outing by Soroka ... going into the eighth inning 89 pitches, 0 earned runs, drove in a couple of runs with a single. Excellent young pitchers in Fried, Soroka and Newcomb. Now if Teheran and Folty can have any consistent outings ... not a fan of either.

Another great outing by Soroka ... going into the eighth inning 89 pitches, 0 earned runs, drove in a couple of runs with a single. Excellent young pitchers in Fried, Soroka and Newcomb. Now if Teheran and Folty can have any consistent outings ... not a fan of either.

Wasn't Newcomb sent down to minors this season for issues with throwing strikes?

edit. I see they called him back today.

ADVERTISEMENT