ADVERTISEMENT

Braves - 2022

First game of double header… some ugly pitching by the Braves … Odirizi struggled but left down 3-0 …. Matzek and Elder have given up 5 runs in 2 1/3 innings, at least three of those runs from walks and a hit batter. 8-2 in the top of the eighth. If Mets win this game they will have won 4 of the last 6 against the Braves.
Awful game 1... Got shut down by the Mets 6th starter today.

Reactions: JonScott
In any event, my confidence in the Braves having any success against Scherzer tonight is non-existent. Fried better pitch a lot better than he did against him last time.

In any event, my confidence in the Braves having any success against Scherzer tonight is non-existent. Fried better pitch a lot better than he did against him last time.
I remain hopeful, but Fried has struggled at times this season. The most dominating pitcher for the Braves has been Strider.

Reactions: NoleLizards
I remain hopeful, but Fried has struggled at times this season. The most dominating pitcher for the Braves has been Strider.
Looks like he has trouble with his mechanics sometimes and is unable to locate his fastball.

Wow! Swanson with his second error of the game… the second a costly two-run error.

Well, the Braves simply do not match up well with the Mets, hitting or pitching. The Braves have four guys in the starting lineup hitting .216 or less, including two below .180. if they lose again today the Mets will have won 6-8. Caray keeps mentioning that we have seven home games in Atlanta against the Mets… at the rate the Braves are losing to the Mets it won’t matter. Atlanta got fat on a bunch of weak teams; now that they are playing the better teams in their division the holes in the Braves‘ lineup and pitching staff have become obvious.

I think they’re better than what they’ve shown. Problem is too many 4 pitch strikeouts and first pitch outs. Have to get to the Mets bullpen to beat them. Too many stars slumping to be any good right now. Admittedly I didn’t get to watch Friday.

This team seems to play tight against them for some reason.

I think they’re better than what they’ve shown. Problem is too many 4 pitch strikeouts and first pitch outs. Have to get to the Mets bullpen to beat them. Too many stars slumping to be any good right now. Admittedly I didn’t get to watch Friday.

I am not sure that they are … some tenuous play on the infield … agree about not getting to the Mets bullpen. Braves have no answers for Scherzer and Degrom. … very disappointing.

Ozuna is dead weight, he will run into one about once a week but that’s it.

Holes in LF, 2B, DH. Couple with some slumping stars at RF, 1B and C.
Not time to panic but this week was certainly disappointing.
Mets will be hard to catch now.

Reactions: JonScott
:
Ozuna is dead weight, he will run into one about once a week but that’s it.

Holes in LF, 2B, DH. Couple with some slumping stars at RF, 1B and C.
Not time to panic but this week was certainly disappointing.
Mets will be hard to catch now.
Ozuna now 1-15 … have no idea why Snitker keeps him in the lineup except there is no one better to replace him. AA‘s acquisitions have done zilch.

Wel, well, well. …. Swanson with a two-run homer. There is still a pulse!

:

Ozuna now 1-15 … have no idea why Snitker keeps him in the lineup except there is no one better to replace him. AA‘s acquisitions have done zilch.
I think come playoff time when they have a third catcher he won’t be in the lineup.

In the dog days of Summer when the on-field temp is 100 degrees I don't understand why the Braves don't make opposing pitchers work and up their pitch count. They swing at the first pitch they see which is rarely anything over the plate and are an easy out. Whereas Braves pitchers have already high pitch counts in the 4th inning because the other team is being patient at the plate. The pitch count difference yesterday between the starters was absurd!

Outlook for the rest of this season?

1. I think the Mets win the NL East rather handily. Great pitching, very good hitting ... they are better at both than the Braves. Scherzer and Degrom are outstanding and Diaz was great in relief. The Mets have some big series upcoming against LAD, NYY, Phillies and the Braves. How they fare in those series will indicate how far they can go in the postseason.

2. The Braves will be battling the Phillies for second in the NL East.

3. The loss of FF has really hurt the Braves' prospects. As FF's replacement, Olson is good at the plate and in the field ... but not good enough. There is a lot of dead weight in the Braves' lineup. Ozuna has a good game one out of every five; the rest of the time he does nothing. Against the Mets he went 1-16 with a bunch of strikeouts and a few pop outs. Adrianza, Rosario?? Yesterday, Mets reliever Diaz struck out, in order, in the ninth ... Swanson, Olson, Riley. ... Acuna's resurgence at the plate against the Mets was about the lone bright spot. I like Harris a lot - an exciting player with loads of potential. They are also missing Albies. As for pitching, Atlanta's relievers had a rough series against the Mets. ... Strider had a tough outing Sunday, but he is young, has a strong arm and is fun to watch.

4. A number of sports commentators bring up the fact that going into August last year the Braves had not broken .500. While true, last year was certainly a magic - and totally unexpected - season for the Braves. They don't have the hitting or pitching this year, and the top competition is stronger than last year.

5. AA rolled the dice on a number of puzzling, questionable additions by the trade deadline. At the time, last year's additions did not look much better, but a few, like Soler, played over their heads for a great run. ... Grossman, batting in the low .200s when acquired by Atlanta, looks like, well, a low .200s addition. ... Granted that was only one outing, but Odorizzi was rather unimpressive, had problems with his control ... and cramped up by the fifth inning!!?? Iglesias looked pretty good in two stints in relief. No real splash additions.

Last edited:
From AJC's Mark Bradley:

The Braves’ starters yielded 18 earned runs in 22 innings. That’s an ERA of 7.36. ...

The Mets’ starters are fifth in MLB in ERA, and Jacob deGrom has worked only two games. The Braves’ starters rank 12th. That’s the one glaring difference between the teams.

The Braves were outscored 31-19 and didn’t lead over the final 27 innings. Making his second start of 2022, deGrom had a perfect game working with two out in the sixth. Of the 17 Braves he retired, 12 struck out.

The division race isn’t over, but the Mets have reason to believe they – for the first time in many a year – are the better team. This Atlanta-based correspondent didn’t see that coming. I’m pretty sure the Braves didn’t, either.

The Braves better right this ship immediately. Their lead over the Phillies in the loss column has shrunk to 2 games, and it's down to a mere 4 over the first team out (Milwaukee) in the Wild Card standings. The division is probably a lost cause at this point, but play must improve just to guarantee a postseason berth.

By way of comparison ... Atl won the division last year with an 88-73, .547, record.

At 88-73 .547
Ph 82-80 .506
NY 77-85 . 475

right now the division looks like this

NY 71-39 ,645
AT 64-46 .582
PH 60-48 .556

The NL East was a weak division last year, and the Braves were fortunate to win the division. This year's competition is much better ... the Braves could end up with a better record than last year and still finish third in the division ... and possibly out of the playoffs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
@JonScott hit it pretty good a few post above.

I don't see gaining 6.5 games on the Mets with their schedule, but Mets could always Met.

As for the Braves this week should be a good rebound week. Two pretty good pitching matchups getting Pivetta and Rich Hill in Boston, then 4 against Miami.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
They went back to expanded playoffs this season so hopefully The Braves are able to secure one of the 3 WC spots.

Just lost Arcia to a hamstring injury. Anyone want to try out for 2nd??

Last edited:
Much needed win tonight in Boston. Was my first trip to Fenway. Really is a special place to watch a baseball game.
Saw Niekro pitch for the Jays there after he'd left the Braves, the only time I've been to Fenway. Sat behind a column that obstructed the view, but hell, it was Fenway.

DId you guys eat a Fenway frank while there?

The last inning of last night's game reminds me how important it is for the Braves to have Acuna on base, often.

Reactions: ariya_massoudi
ADVERTISEMENT