ADVERTISEMENT

Burt Reynolds Introduces the NEW Bandit Trans Am

Also, in reference to motor sizes earlier..... pontiac engines were tiny compared to chevy.... the engines were all about the same size as a chevy small block.

the chevy big blocks were the massive engines. As I said, i had a pontiac 455 HO and earlier in life a SS 396 (big block chevy) .... the 396 was SO much bigger in external size than the pontiac 455
I'm not sure in what manner u meen Chevy engines were bigger then Pontiac! The SBC motors were much smaller then then small block Pontiac's! The poncho's had a much wider V then the Chevys did! Made for a much wider engine over all! So much so that u couldn't even see the headers except for undernieth! I replaced a blown 400cid poncho motor in a friends 77 Formula with a SBC 350cid motor! The 350 had so much more room to work on! Technically there was no small block & big block Pontiac engine! There was no major difference it the 2 except cubes! Maybe deck height! That being said... I never really compared the big blocks! That could be the case! The small blocks though... First time I saw a poncho 400(long ago lol) I couldn't believe it was a small block!! Now that I saw ur post, I'm curious as hell! I'm goin to my boys shop this week to compare!! Lol! Just want to add, I'm not tryin to be a shit talkn know it all! Just informing the less informed on here n tryin to gain more info myself if I'm wrong!!

This is pretty close to the car I took to FSU when I enrolled in 1978.....

I love this frign car! I had this exact car back in the day!! I was about 18 when I had it on the road!! It was a fairly rare factory stick with a close ratio Saginaw4speed! (Most of the few factory 4speeds produced were munchies) I started to work it a bit! Get more power out of by... Put a set of angled plug fuelie heads on the 350sbc, edlebrock intake, Holley 600 4brl! I made the mistake of adding slapped style traction bars to the factory posi rear! At the time I didn't know if ur power to a 10bolt rear, first thing u should do is add more plug welds to secure the pumpkin to the axle tubes! I dropped the clutch one day showing off n broke the existing welds! Pointed the carrier housing permanently upwards n the u-joint was hitting the floor! Thanks to the slap per bars stopping the tubes from flexing up and absorbing some of the force, somthing had to give!! Lol
This is pretty close to the car I took to FSU when I enrolled in 1978.....

That car is hideous....
But since I had a 72 trans am 455 HO my personal opinion is the 74 TA SD455 was the last true Trans AM....

73 was the first year they started putting the bird on the hood and it was all down hill from there
All cars went down hill after 1973!!! That's just a fact!! But as far as looks are concerned, I disagree!!(not about the 73 though!) the 74-76 fire birds and camaros were the ugliest ones!! They are commonly voted that way too, so it's not just me!! Lol! But everybody has there opinions! As far as power goes... The 455 SD was an Awsome car!! My friend had a gold 77 TA with a 74 or 75 455SD transplanted into it! That was a fun car!!!

My hubby (boyfriend at that time) had a 68 Firebird 400. Stick shift, engine was so big it couldn't fit an A/C. Hot as hell with black interior.
Black vinyl top gold body. Bad ass car.
So Burt was telling the truth about the front seats?!?!?!

Growing up in the south in the 70s and 80s, these two cars will always make me smile. Doesn't matter they were heavy, underpowered, not the best at anything. They will always make me smile.

General-Lee.png

and a little bit of this.
BA-Van.png

Can not leave out the Hoff and the first smart car.

night-rider-hoff-fefbc40a-6793-45ac-85f4-fda785767727-0-400x300.jpg

I was a little kid during these movies and can not recall one single scene but the car still lives on in my memories.

marchmontpenny2.jpg

You don't need to think where this car came from.

TULSA142481.jpg

or this one lol.

Batmobile1.png

Reactions: Bartdog
I rent a lot of cars so I get whatever is on the lot when I arrive. While not the Trans Am I got a Dodge Charger a few weeks ago that had a Hemi. This car flat out flew. I got to 120mph and said ok that is enough and the car wasn't even trying. I think it had 8 gears on the manual shift. Probably one of the nicest American cars I have ever driven.

I rent a lot of cars so I get whatever is on the lot when I arrive. While not the Trans Am I got a Dodge Charger a few weeks ago that had a Hemi. This car flat out flew. I got to 120mph and said ok that is enough and the car wasn't even trying. I think it had 8 gears on the manual shift. Probably one of the nicest American cars I have ever driven.

Perhaps I should rent one again, but I had a 6th gen for a week. I hated it. Rental V6 (I think). Was gutless, so much slop in the steering and the suspension was more loose than my suburban. Forgot the experience and rented one again a year later and immediately thought, "What the hell did I do, I hate these things!". Perhaps they fixed all the issues on the 7gen.

Perhaps I should rent one again, but I had a 6th gen for a week. I hated it. Rental V6 (I think). Was gutless, so much slop in the steering and the suspension was more loose than my suburban. Forgot the experience and rented one again a year later and immediately thought, "What the hell did I do, I hate these things!". Perhaps they fixed all the issues on the 7gen.

Maybe, I rent out of Hilton Head a lot so maybe that is why. Walked by a charger a few months back in Baltimore thinking there was no way they put a real engine in this car. Rental guy knows me in HHI since I am there so often and said I got a charger for you. I figured what the heck I usually get an SUV. Started the car and was like oh this car has a real engine. Checked it out and it had a hemi, had that thing flying down I-16. I would rate that car as good as a mid-level import 4 door quality wise. It was real nice.

This is the car I learned how to drive in drivers ed at my high school. Damn thing was a brand new loaner from Proctor's! For driver's ed!
1978_pontiac_trans_am_01-647x400-740x480.jpg

Best friend at the time had one of these that was sweet! We drove the hell out of it, but kept it looking brand new:
1977Tr129.jpg

Last edited:
did the mods grab an OT thread from the sports board and combine it with one in the LR?

Wow, I might prefer the copper to the black.

This is the car I learned how to drive in drivers ed at my high school. Damn thing was a brand new loaner from Proctor's! For driver's ed!
1978_pontiac_trans_am_01-647x400-740x480.jpg

Best friend at the time had one of these that was sweet! We drove the hell out of it, but kept it looking brand new:
1977Tr129.jpg

All cars went down hill after 1973!!! That's just a fact!! But as far as looks are concerned, I disagree!!(not about the 73 though!) the 74-76 fire birds and camaros were the ugliest ones!! They are commonly voted that way too, so it's not just me!! Lol! But everybody has there opinions! As far as power goes... The 455 SD was an Awsome car!! My friend had a gold 77 TA with a 74 or 75 455SD transplanted into it! That was a fun car!!!

I didnt say the 74 + was pretty...... i said it was the last muscle car.....
I think the 70-73 Trans Am were hands down the best years (biased since i had a 72)
This was my car exactly....
242371-1000-0@2x.jpg

The 69 TA was awesome as well!

The 73 + cars went downhill because of emission standards that started in 72 ...... just a FYI

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT