ADVERTISEMENT

Career change ideas

ChimpNole

Star Player
Aug 22, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.tropicalweather.net
Here's my job situation. I had worked at The Weather Channel for over 25 years and was layed off about 9 years ago. Since then, I have worked freelance for a number of TV stations. Most recently at Fox 5 Atlanta and The Weather Channel - again. I was working quite a bit last year until this January. TWC was sold again and they are cutting way back, so almost no hours now.

I have applied for teaching jobs at all levels, but that has gone nowhere. So, I'm at the point of trying to think of another career. I live on the north side of ATL and would like to stay here if possible. Feel free to throw out any ideas.

Reactions: squiffynole
If you are interested in teaching K-12 look at alternative certification programs like Urban Teacher Center and Teach For America (there are others as well and potentially some I am unaware of in Atlanta). They are often the most direct path to a teaching position for someone that wants a career change and doesn't have the education background.

I have always read that it is better in most cases to try to find a niche within your current area of expertise versus starting over in an entirely new field. Are there any off-camera meteorology roles you could do? Do companies like airlines or transportation companies or other logistics providers hire meteorologists?

I have always read that it is better in most cases to try to find a niche within your current area of expertise versus starting over in an entirely new field. Are there any off-camera meteorology roles you could do? Do companies like airlines or transportation companies or other logistics providers hire meteorologists?

I agree with this philosophy. I have tried airlines which is very hard to get into. They usually take military for these positions. Most companies are not looking for a 50+ y.o. to hire. I am thinking of getting out of TV because of the shenanigans that always go along with this career. I do a lot of work on my house and was even thinking of something related to that.

Here's my job situation. I had worked at The Weather Channel for over 25 years and was layed off about 9 years ago. Since then, I have worked freelance for a number of TV stations. Most recently at Fox 5 Atlanta and The Weather Channel - again. I was working quite a bit last year until this January. TWC was sold again and they are cutting way back, so almost no hours now.

I have applied for teaching jobs at all levels, but that has gone nowhere. So, I'm at the point of trying to think of another career. I live on the north side of ATL and would like to stay here if possible. Feel free to throw out any ideas.

Have you looked into just making ^+%* up and putting it on a YouTube blog rather than doing actual reporting? It seems to work quite effectively.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Chimp,

Your situation sounds similar to a guy in my neighborhood in Roswell. Have you considered independent expert consulting as a forensic meteorologist? If you can establish yourself, being an expert witness is one of the cushiest gigs out there.

Nursing school if you like being in hospitals and working with the infirm. I can't think of a state in the country that isn't in dire need of nurses.

Many places you can dictate shifts, salary is decent, good benefits. Whatever you do, don't get in the golf business unless it's owning or managing a TopGolf

Nursing school if you like being in hospitals and working with the infirm. I can't think of a state in the country that isn't in dire need of nurses.

Many places you can dictate shifts, salary is decent, good benefits. Whatever you do, don't get in the golf business unless it's owning or managing a TopGolf

I would definitely say that nursing is a good backup option with relatively high paying salaries relative to their education levels.

Do you think you can sell? Medical sales( not pharma) is an option.

Chimp, not sure what your background in meteorology is (ie on-screen, quantitative analysis, atmospherics, etc...) but two ideas:

1 - lots of PE and hedge funds, equity research groups, etc... either employ or contract meteorologists as a resource when assessing opportunities that can be impacted by weather / temperature trends. full-time or consulting could be interesting in this space. or publishing your own monthly/quarterly weather research and getting the aforementioned to subscribe to it or providing for free as a lead gen channel to build a consulting business.

2 - youtube. if you come from an on-screen background, just start experimenting with your own videos, have fun with it, etc... if you want to do something in education, perhaps some short videos that help educate either kids or simplify tougher concepts for those in university / grad. maybe even coaching prospective younger folks in how to perform on camera.

It sucks that someone with your experience is left in a lurch. Truly wish you the best and while I'm of no real assistance, would love to help however possible.

Reactions: cmanole
Chimp,

Your situation sounds similar to a guy in my neighborhood in Roswell. Have you considered independent expert consulting as a forensic meteorologist? If you can establish yourself, being an expert witness is one of the cushiest gigs out there.
There is a huge amount of competition in this industry - all phases. I tried the consultant route a few years ago and asked a colleague how he got started - crickets. There are too many schools teaching meteorology now and really only a finite number of jobs.

Chimp, not sure what your background in meteorology is (ie on-screen, quantitative analysis, atmospherics, etc...) but two ideas:

1 - lots of PE and hedge funds, equity research groups, etc... either employ or contract meteorologists as a resource when assessing opportunities that can be impacted by weather / temperature trends. full-time or consulting could be interesting in this space. or publishing your own monthly/quarterly weather research and getting the aforementioned to subscribe to it or providing for free as a lead gen channel to build a consulting business.

2 - youtube. if you come from an on-screen background, just start experimenting with your own videos, have fun with it, etc... if you want to do something in education, perhaps some short videos that help educate either kids or simplify tougher concepts for those in university / grad. maybe even coaching prospective younger folks in how to perform on camera.

It sucks that someone with your experience is left in a lurch. Truly wish you the best and while I'm of no real assistance, would love to help however possible.

I have thought about idea 1 and may still pursue that avenue. I know someone that I may be able to connect with. As for idea 2 - I have messed around with that a little but still don't know how to really cross into the viral area. There are a lot of younger kids that are more adept at doing this.

I never really thought about this since I have never done sales. So the real answer is "I don't know".
I hear you. I also feel for you, and I hope you find something that is good for you. First, what type of money do you need to make? That could take teaching out of the equation really fast. Also a field like nursing might not have the pay you need and it will require you to head back to school. Sales is something that people can transition from other careers, but it is harder the older you get. That would not mean you could not do it.

I would definitely say that nursing is a good backup option with relatively high paying salaries relative to their education levels.
I hear you. I also feel for you, and I hope you find something that is good for you. First, what type of money do you need to make? That could take teaching out of the equation really fast. Also a field like nursing might not have the pay you need and it will require you to head back to school. Sales is something that people can transition from other careers, but it is harder the older you get. That would not mean you could not do it.

As for the nursing idea -
I can say that going back to school is not an option. I got my masters about 5 years ago in applied meteorology. I have been reminded by my better half what a waste of time that was.... and she is probably right as it has not produced another full time job.

What kind of money do I need to make? I would like to be able make a minimum of 50k but know that may not happen, so I'm keeping my options open.

As for the nursing idea -
I can say that going back to school is not an option. I got my masters about 5 years ago in applied meteorology. I have been reminded by my better half what a waste of time that was.... and she is probably right as it has not produced another full time job.

What kind of money do I need to make? I would like to be able make a minimum of 50k but know that may not happen, so I'm keeping my options open.
You would make a lot more than that in sales. If you are ok making less teaching is an option still. I am like you that I am not going back to school. If I left med sales I would go in another type of sales.

I have thought about idea 1 and may still pursue that avenue. I know someone that I may be able to connect with. As for idea 2 - I have messed around with that a little but still don't know how to really cross into the viral area. There are a lot of younger kids that are more adept at doing this.
If you need another contact for idea 1, I maybe able to make an intro to a friend of a friend - if they're willing to make the intro as well. If you ever want me to look into it, just @ me in a post.

Reactions: ChimpNole
Are you in decent shape physically? I have a friend who retired at 52 and opened his own ‘soft wash’ (pressure washing) company. He loves it. Works outside and by himself. He does residential only. Makes 80-120 dollars per hour, and sets his own schedule. Start up cost is extremely low. I was shocked when he told me the kind of money he makes yearly. Equipment and insurance are his only costs.
He does have to clean houses/roofs so there’s some risk there. But I would be lying if I told you I hadn’t thought about it. I would imagine you’d have to start slow, build a client base, but if you’re reliable and consistent, I bet you could just name your hourly rate in atlanta.
Maybe not what you’re looking for, but it was a conversation I had the other day.
Good luck!

People love watching weather reporters blowing in the wind.

People love watching hot weather women.

People love watching naked women.

Why not produce a show with hot naked weather women blowing in the wind?

Last edited:
Insurance. Specifically predictive analytics or modeling for property insurance. There us a huge insurance presence in ATL/Alpharetta area. Your skills would be an asset to insurers.

Reactions: DanC78
Were you an on-air personality at TWC? I know of a communication/public speaking training firm in Atlanta that employed a former CNN anchor as a trainer.

Reactions: cmanole
Were you an on-air personality at TWC? I know of a communication/public speaking training firm in Atlanta that employed a former CNN anchor as a trainer.

Good question...what was your job with TWC

@ChimpNole, the PGA, Insurance companies, agricultural companies and other private industries have meteorologists on staff. Ditto for certain government agencies like the FAA and others. You probably know that. And I know a lot of “TV people” who are now “spokespersons” for government agencies, spreading crappy information in the most positive manner possible.

I am not sure how old you are, or what your dependent situation is, but you may want to stay in your field of expertise but in a slightly different application. Best wishes to you. Chin up, and something good will happen to you. Do not let some stupid-ass job define you.

Yes, for on-air mostly at The Weather Channel...... and about 4 or 5 other stations during my career.

Think about something in government, like “emergency management.” This is now big business, especially in the hurricane states. I love to watch all of the media frenzy when the “preparedness teams” speak of opening shelters in anticipation of any good thunder shower. I want to actually go to one of those things one time and see who is there.....would have to be some INCREDIBLE people-watching opportunities, I would think.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT