ADVERTISEMENT

Celtics, Lakers 30 for 30

Ill bet they still found a way to talk about LaBron. ESPN cant have a show without him in the discussion.

I thought it was an absolutely awesome program. I don't even like those teams but it was a terrific rivalry with all those HOFers. Super stuff.

I saw a few minutes, looked good. If anyone enjoyed it then the book "When the Game Was Ours" will also be entertaining. More specific to the Magic/Bird rivalry but obviously touches on more.

I've been on the road but will go hunt it down for the dvr. Thanks for the heads up boneplyr. I was a kid in Boston at the time, what an amazing time to be an NBA fan. Obviously disliked the Lakers, but always had a healthy respect for them. Good to see all the players involved, including those not quite in the limelight like Coop, Cornbread, Ainge, etc. And Guys, it's LeBron! Apparently ESPN needs to give him a little more exposure! :eek:

Loved the Celtics during those years. This 30 for 30 brought back so many memories and had a lot of behind the scenes information that was surprising and hilarious too. Red Aureback stetting up a high school gym for the Lakers to practice in that ended up 45 minutes outside Boston and was locked up when they got there.

Reactions: booker20
Wynton Marsalis was a huge detractor. Almost every white kid I knew had a pair of purple and gold sneakers and loved the Lakers.

We, white kids in a predominately white city, hated Red Auerbach, the crappy Boston Garden and they aura of the Celtics.

Great 30 for 30
I look at Larry Bird and still amazed about how good he was. Watching that video he looked uncoordinated, slow and wore short shorts.

I think the thing I liked the best about this 30 for 30, was how much of the focus was on nostalgia. Facts were still presented, but more of the "storytelling" was done with the specific reason to "give you the feels".

Growing up I loved the "Showtime" version of the Lakers, but even before that, the earlier version with Wilt, Zeke, Gail Goodrich, Mel Counts (the world's only 7 foot guard at the time), etc. As a youngster, Wilt was my hero (for his hoops, of course; later, we found out he had major skillz in another area).

ADVERTISEMENT