ADVERTISEMENT

Charter Boat Tipping ??

catanole

Freshman
Mar 29, 2002
Taking my son down to Harris chain to fish, and we are getting a guide. The charter cost is $300- what is average to tip your guide?

Im not sure about a guide, 10-20% for a decent to good trip is usually customary to a mate on a charter boat.
Little different scenario, I would think 10% to a guide would be sufficient.

Or hell, just swing by my dock on lake Eustis and I’ll tell you where to go lol

Reactions: Honey Fried Pickens
Have done charters a few times. It really depends how much the captain and crew do for you and how good a job he does for you.

Would say a minimum of $20 a head to $50 head.

If they clean and prepare your catch you can give the $50. If they just get you back safely to the dock then that is $20.

I’m a charter captain, but yachts rather than fishing. For a couple or small party half day or sunset cruise normal tips are In the $40-$100 range.

Funny enough, it seems to not really matter how good their trip is or how much effort I put in. I’ve gone out of my way to cart obnoxious amounts of stuff on and off the boat and gotten stiffed while some of the easiest charters have tipped over %100. I often have a good idea what to expect by their phone’s area code.

I was recommended a Cpt Mick Maynard, already talked to him, but havnt confirmed. If you know someone else please let me know.

If the guy is attentive and puts my kid on a lot of fish and is friendly I'd give him $100. The scale would slide down from there. I've had some great guides, and I've had some aholes that I still talk about. I had one so bad that other guides knew who I was talking about years later and miles away. I have a couple good ones friended on facebook - so I know when the fish are biting, but also because they're good dudes.

Reactions: Squirrel J.
No fish - No tip

Little fish- Little tip

Big fish - Big tip

This, more or less. The captain would have to be a real jerk for me to stiff him - and then it wouldn't matter if I got shut out or not.

If you have a great day (no matter what you catch) and your kid acquires a happy memory, is it going to matter if you tipped the operator $50?

Some conversation starters for you to break the ice with your guide:

"Have you ever caught fish in this spot before?"

"What is that boat catching over there?"

"Do you have any guide recommendations for the next time we come?"

That depends on how good a job he does.

Yep. Puts you on some great fish and I'll tip them almost as much as the charter. I hired one individual one in Lake Okechobee and the guide put my wife and I on very large bass within ten minutes of leaving and we caught fish the entire trip using a variety of lures and bait at different times of the day. He was great and I'm pretty sure I owed $250 plus tax so I just game him five hundos and left it at that.

On the other hand I did a party boat out of FT Lauderdale and the entire boat over 4-8 hours (I don't remember) caught one tiny, undersized mahi mahi and two lizard fish. I didn't even get a bite. Not just that I didn't catch a fish, I never lost a bait the entire trip. I left $0.

Reactions: EconSean
I was recommended a Cpt Mick Maynard, already talked to him, but havnt confirmed. If you know someone else please let me know.
I think that’s the guy out on treasure island. I’ve heard the name before. Harris chain is some pretty good fishing

Good luck

I did a charter with a total of 3 of us while in Destin.
1 man crew, dude busted it., Cleaned fish, baited hooks and cut up bait.
I gave him $150. for a 6 hr. trip

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Put these dollars in terms of percentages of the total trip cost as well. Just curious.

I will. Talked to the cpt today, and I think he is happy that we are pretty serious fisherman.

Taking my son down to Harris chain to fish, and we are getting a guide. The charter cost is $300- what is average to tip your guide?

Dang I'm late to the party. Did you go yet? Lake Harris and Little Lake Harris is some really good fishing. Just be careful going over the Howey Bridge, someone drove off of it a few months ago.

ADVERTISEMENT