ADVERTISEMENT

Chase Sapphire Preferred Card?

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my rewards card(s). I'm paying two annual fees and no longer really getting the value that I used to. For now I've got a Disney Visa ($49/annual fee) that I've always used for personal spending and a Marriott Rewards Visa ($85/annual fee) that I've always used for business travel. My daughter's 16 now (no pics) so the Disney Visa has sort of outlived its usefulness.

Both provide similar rewards: Disney = 2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries, and restaurants. Marriott = 2 points for airfare, rental cars, and restaurants. Then each of them gives you more 5 points per $1 if you spend money at/on their properties. Neither are bad deals and both have served me well over the years, but now I'd prefer something that offers better travel rewards, and preferably on a more company-agnostic basis.

RE: Chase Sapphire Preferred...I think that's the one I want to go with. It has a $95/annual fee which is pretty much industry standard for any card that's worth anything these days. 50,000 bonus points and 2 points per $1 on travel-related expenses and restaurants and 1 point per $1 on everything else, so very similar to the Marriott Rewards Visa I already have there. What's most enticing to me though is that you can get 1.25x the value of your rewards points at redemption time. So $500 worth of points is worth $625 at redemption, and you can redeem w/multiple brands. That's a pretty good deal. You do have to book your travel through their site though.
  • How easy is it to book travel through the Chase Rewards site?
  • Are their rates generally on par w/the best rates that are out there?
  • I noticed Air France and KLM but not Delta. Is Delta one of the brands you can't utilize?
  • Anything else I should know about this card?

I have the card and like it, but use it mainly to redeem for GCs. I have it as part of a three card set through my bank, Chase, and always combine the card points to the sapphire because it gets a better return on redemption.

I have the Chase Reserve, and it is a great card. Annual fee is a little more hefty at $450, but you get $300 in travel credits that they automatically credit to your account as you spend. So you're really looking at a $150 annual fee, after the credit. You don't even have to call them to redeem. I don't remember the earning rates off hand, but they are slightly better than the Preferred card. I also got a 120,000 point sign up bonus when I got the card.

To answer your original question, I have found it very easy to redeem points with them. You can transfer points to other airlines or hotels, but I have generally found better value by redeeming through Chase. I also get much better value for my Chase points than I do for AMEX points.

I have the Chase Reserve, and it is a great card. Annual fee is a little more hefty at $450, but you get $300 in travel credits that they automatically credit to your account as you spend. So you're really looking at a $150 annual fee, after the credit. You don't even have to call them to redeem. I don't remember the earning rates off hand, but they are slightly better than the Preferred card. I also got a 120,000 point sign up bonus when I got the card.

To answer your original question, I have found it very easy to redeem points with them. You can transfer points to other airlines or hotels, but I have generally found better value by redeeming through Chase. I also get much better value for my Chase points than I do for AMEX points.
Get the Reserve. It's $55/year more (netting the $300 travel credit) but you get lounge access, 3x points on food/drinks/travel, and I believe a better signup bonus as well.

Reactions: phideltflg
We just got new Sapphire cards in the mail. Better than the regs? I don't know, my wide is the reward person in our household...

I have a sapphire rewards card and I don't personally like it.

pay pal sent me an offer for a card that pays 2% cash back on all purchases. I'm thinking of swapping my chase card in for it. My only fear is crap customer service; which is not an issue with Chase, it's actually great custmer service.

If you have a somewhat regular travel schedule, I'd go with the Reserve. The travel credit takes the yearly fee down to ~$150, and you get 3x on travel. Booking through the Chase site is really easy, though I find myself transferring points to Hyatt, United and Southwest more than anything else. All those transfers take ~30 seconds to complete.

I'm going to be hitting united 1k this year (which isn't an award you want to win) so for $1000 plane ticket, I usually get ~10,000 points between united status and chase.

Just get Alliant Credit Union card. 3% cash back unlimited all categories. Nothing beats it. You’re welcome.

Reactions: DanC78
Just get Alliant Credit Union card. 3% cash back unlimited all categories. Nothing beats it. You’re welcome.

Meh, I get way more back in travel credit between AMEX and Chase than 3% cash back. If you don’t travel much, cash back is the way to go. If you’re like my wife and I, travel credits are more lucrative. Just depends on your situation.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Looks pretty good but there's no signup bonus ($625 effective signup bonus w/Sapphire Preferred) and the 3% drops to 2.5% after the first year. Still a great return and worth considering. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: DanC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT