ADVERTISEMENT

Classic cold weather fare. Whatcha got?

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Wifey went old school with SOS this morning...creamed chipped beef on toast, over light eggs, toast with strawberry jam, strong black coffee. Maybe a little dose of Kalua for my “nature”... Then she pushed me outside to shovel snow.
I thru together a good pot of stew last night to go with cornbread sticks outta the cast iron...

My favorite 3:

A big pot of chili
A big pot of chicken & dumplings (northern style, where the dumpling is a dumping, not a thick noodle)
Gumbo

Made some jambalaya last week. Definitely warmed you from the inside out.

23905735_1655998927755965_3098667378019165487_n.jpg

Green chile (from Hatch, NM of course) stew. Diced potatoes and cubes of tender pork, with a side of flour tortillas. Perfect cold weather food. A close second would be red chile stew. :)

Reactions: FSUTribe76
My wife and I have this debate every winter. She will only eat chili when the weather is cold. I point out to her that she eats other Mexican food all year. She says she doesn't consider chili Mexican food even though it has the same ingredients as many of the dishes she'll eat just presented in a different way. Women. Sheesh.

Green chile (from Hatch, NM of course) stew. Diced potatoes and cubes of tender pork, with a side of flour tortillas. Perfect cold weather food. A close second would be red chile stew. :)

I'm converting to a chili verde guy. I will never get my red sauce Galveston-born wife to convert, but I like the tang (giggity) much better

Home made beef jerky marinated in soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and Frank's red hot. Dusted with sea salt.

Getting chili started now. For tonight and tomorrows Bucs game tailgate.

Although chicken tikka on jasmine rice with naan is pretty awesome

When all else fails, a pot of chili will do the trick.

Yeah that’s what I’m making tomorrow. I haven’t decided if it will be a high end pot of “Texas Red” with ribeye steak, the green Chili recipe I made up with chicken, Guanbana/soursop juice, nopales, green lentils and more or just the simple Boilermaker chili from allrecipes I use as my “dump cans of stuff for coworkers to eat” large chili pot. All three are great but completely different. I do highly rec the Boilermaker chili recipe from allrecipes though, it is incredibly simple to the point of being foolproof and no expensive ingredients.

I'm converting to a chili verde guy. I will never get my red sauce Galveston-born wife to convert, but I like the tang (giggity) much better

Yeah, when I’m in Arizona or New Mexico I will occasionally get the Christmas (half red, half green) but typically get all green and NEVER all red.

My chili has evolved over the years. Usually it starts with a pound or two of sirloin steak cubed and a pound or so of either turkey sausage or more often spicy Italian sausage. In season, I love to cut sweet corn off the cob to go with diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Again, in season we have banana peppers out of the yard to dice for spice. Cumin and chili powder for heat. Against the grain for plenty, we finish with both black beans and pintos for volume. Add flour for thickening as needed. We usually make a big pot and it gets better every day for leftovertures.

Chili, with beans
Thai Coconut Soup with chicken

Really want gumbo into the mix, but the kids aren't onboard yet.

First put down a piece of good crispy bread.
Then scoop a pile of hot mashed potatoes over the top.
Then a generous slice of hot meatloaf cooked the way you prefer it. Pot roast will also do nicely.
Drop some crispy fried onion strings next.
The ladle some delicious piping hot brown gravy over the top.
Grab a fork and knife and go to town.

Saw white bean soup (northern bean, navy bean) mentioned. Love it. Also make some old fashioned cornbread to serve with it. If you want to up the ante then look up Chef Bernard's Crawfish and Jalapeno Cornbread recipe (with bacon). Saw it years ago when the Food Network would televise Emeril's show and it has been a favorite for a decade.

First put down a piece of good crispy bread.
Then scoop a pile of hot mashed potatoes over the top.
Then a generous slice of hot meatloaf cooked the way you prefer it. Pot roast will also do nicely.
Drop some crispy fried onion strings next.
The ladle some delicious piping hot brown gravy over the top.
Grab a fork and knife and go to town.
This reminds me of some awesome sandwiches I had a week ago in the Pittsburgh region at http://www.primantibros.com/ I had a corned beef and added bacon and an egg. Beast mode!!

Meatloaf sammies are awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT