ADVERTISEMENT

Classic Rock!

littleitch1

Seminole Insider
Nov 26, 2008
man I love me some classic rock!

Just watched some videos of Eric Burdon and the Animals, they had a lot of good songs for sure

Those were good times back then, when I was young

He was great with “War”, spill the wine take that pearl!

Then I strolled into “ cream”, again just great stuff!

Those were the days my friends!

man I love me some classic rock!

Just watched some videos of Eric Burdon and the Animals, they had a lot of good songs for sure

Then I strolled into “ Cream”, again just great stuff!

Those were the days my friends!
You just named two of the most criminally underrated bands of the 60's...Love 'em both.

While Cream was undeniably great, I wouldn't say they were underrated. They were, and are, considered one of, if not the, first superband. Each was already an established star when they formed.

While Cream was undeniably great, I wouldn't say they were underrated. They were, and are, considered one of, if not the, first superband. Each was already an established star when they formed.
By underrated, I mean historically. I've rarely heard Cream mentioned among the creme de la creme (pun intended) of rock bands, and I don't hear them on classic rock radio very often either. For instance, Rolling Stone has them ranked only #67 on its all-time artists list. (Of course, they have Radiohead at a preposterous 73...So that should automatically de-legitimize the list.)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...s-of-all-time-19691231/hank-williams-20110420

The band was named "Cream" with good reason. As you intimated, each of the three individuals who formed the outfit were considered elite at his respective craft...Jack Bruce with his amazing vocals/range, Ginger Baker's then unrivaled drumming skills, and (you may have heard of) Mr. Clapton, A.K.A. "God", on the axe. Together, they only existed for a short time, but IMO their studio output is essentially flawless. I think Cream's legacy is damaged because unlike other premier British rock bands of the era, they didn't come to the U.S. to set up shop.

Last edited:
Why yes, yes they were. Cream in particular... I wore out some vinyl jamming to their tunes.
I still have some of those albums. In fact I think I'm gonna play some of those now that you've put that Animals song in my head.
Like, thanks dude.

By underrated, I mean historically. I've rarely heard Cream mentioned among the creme de la creme (pun intended) of rock bands, and I don't hear them on classic rock radio very often either. For instance, Rolling Stone has them ranked only #67 on its all-time artists list. (Of course, they have Radiohead at a preposterous 73...So that should automatically de-legitimize the list.)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...s-of-all-time-19691231/hank-williams-20110420

The band was named "Cream" with good reason. As you intimated, each of the three individuals who formed the outfit were considered elite at his respective craft...Jack Bruce with his amazing vocals/range, Ginger Baker's then unrivaled drumming skills, and (you may have heard of) Mr. Clapton, A.K.A. "God", on the axe. Together, they only existed for a short time, but IMO their studio output is essentially flawless. I think Cream's legacy is damaged because unlike other premier British rock bands of the era, they didn't come to the U.S. to set up shop.

They were a great band but I think the main issue of why they are often not spoken of with the all time greats is simply longevity. They only recorded three full albums and were together 2 years.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Don’t forget the Canadian invasion...The Guess Who are also underrated.
Lester Bangs agrees with you.

wg-the-guess-who-1.jpg

Don’t forget the Canadian invasion...The Guess Who are also underrated.

The Guess Who is really fantastic. Great songs, and one of the greatest vocalists in rock history...Burton Cummings is a seriously underrated singer.

And I LOVE The Animals. They are so good, and their image was so cool in the 1960s. They were considered surly and rough. Not "dangerous" like the Rolling Stones in a "will nail your daughter" sort of way, but dangerous in a maybe don't go try to talk to those guys if you don't want to get punched sort of way.

If you like 60's music, it can be fun to Youtube old spots from Hullabaloo, a TV show that featured these acts, along with sets and dancers. The Animals have one of my favorites for "It's My Life" (a truly great song) where they are in a hunting lodge, with girls' heads as trophies (the dancers' heads are through holes in the walls). It's just crazy to think that there was a time when someone came up with that and nobody thought to second guess the implications at all.

If you're interested in the music of that era, one of the most interesting and crazy things I ever read was about how unscrupulous tour managers would put together tours of British acts for American audiences that wouldn't know any better. You've got to read this thing...cameo from Eric Burdon, doing Eric Burdon things...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/danielrals...st-con-in-rock?utm_term=.wwwePExpb#.nfrENPQwB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT