ADVERTISEMENT

College Class Ring?

ponchfrog

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2003
Does anyone actually/still wear their class ring? The discussion came up at my work because we will see Annapolis and/or West Point grads wearing them every now and then and wondered if alumni from other schools wear theirs as well?

I honestly cannot remember if I even got one when I graduated FSU.

Service Academy graduates can do whatever they want. They have earned it.

Does anyone actually/still wear their class ring? The discussion came up at my work because we will see Annapolis and/or West Point grads wearing them every now and then and wondered if alumni from other schools wear theirs as well?

Never got one to begin with. I didn't get a HS ring because I was going to college. I didn't get a college ring because I was going to law school. And then I didn't get a law school ring because by that point I decided I enjoyed not wearing jewelry. As a matter of fact I don't even wear my wedding ring most often except for special occasions and only break out the watches for the same reason.

I have one, but I don't wear it - it sits in a lockbox. If I had a ring from one of the service academies, I'd definitely wear it: it's a way bigger deal than my Midwestern State University ring...

I guess it depends on your age and maybe what school you attended. To me, personally, an adult wearing a college ring is somewhat akin to seeing people driving around with their high school tassel hanging from the rear-view mirror. At some point you just need to move on.

I have one from FSU and wear it fairly regularly and almost always when dressed up. My dad is an Annapolis grad so I picked up the habit from him. Also, I'm an engineer and I find it more common in this industry than others.

Class rings are a big deal at Texas A&M. Most Aggies I know, including my sister-in-law, have them.

I agree about the Aggies and their class rings. They wear them proudly into old age. A little weird, I guess.

My F-I-L is a Naval Academy grad, and he wears his.......along with a Navy ball cap, Navy t-shirt, and a Navy sweatshirt. Every single day. Whatever occasion. He does not have many friends.

Love mine - never wear it, but think it is a cool one. Signet type thingy.

FSU-LOGO.jpg

Reactions: RTM58
My F-I-L is a Naval Academy grad, and he wears his.......along with a Navy ball cap, Navy t-shirt, and a Navy sweatshirt. Every single day. Whatever occasion. He does not have many friends.

My wife's brother is a Naval Academy grad and a retired E-2 pilot. I think the only clothes he owns have "Navy" on them.

Reactions: cfbfan23
Truer words have never been spoken. And most of their college stories suck.

Over Thanksgiving and multiple drinks, my wife's brother told me about his experiences at the Naval Academy. He said it sucked and, if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn't have gone there. I found that surprising.

He said dating was extremely difficult to do since he was gone during the summers and were on restrictions during the school year but he more than made up for it after he was commissioned. He said the girls at the schools closest to Annapolis weren't the cutest things he'd ever seen.

I used to wear mine everyday in an office setting I looked at it like wearing something FSU. I colluded wear a shirt everyday. When I stopped working in an office setting I cut back on wearing it. My wife sent it off had it cleaned and a new stone put in it with a gold FS etched in it I wear it regularly and get all kinds of compliments and inquiries.

Never did buy one from FSU. Bought a high school ring that I never wore so figured I would not wear the college one either.

Never got one to begin with. I didn't get a HS ring because I was going to college. I didn't get a college ring because I was going to law school. And then I didn't get a law school ring because by that point I decided I enjoyed not wearing jewelry. As a matter of fact I don't even wear my wedding ring most often except for special occasions and only break out the watches for the same reason.
This! Minus the law school part for me.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
They crush your fingers when you have to shake hands with someone. Didn't wear mine much.

I have a high school ring because it was the thing to do. Never saw a need to get a college one. My hs ring just sits in my jewelry box
Same here. Got it and hardly ever wore it at FSU because no one else did. I also hated jewelry so kind of stupid that I got it in hindsight.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Got a HS ring but it didn't look like "hey, high school" ring. Lost that a year later. Didn't get a ring from FSU. Only wear a wedding band. And a watch for occasions, they feel too loose, too tight but never just right. And always pull my arm hair. And you will never see me wear any NAVY gear (but I was just enlisted, not a O).

The ones I see wearing university class rings the most (like has been listed) are Service Academy grads and Texas A&M grads. Texas A&M has a large military tradition too but there it seems to be with almost all graduates and not just those commissioned. I do have a class ring from the military college I attended and was commissioned with but haven't worn it in probably 20+ years. I didn't buy a class ring when I was at FSU but proud of that too. I think the class rings with the Service Academies is sort of like being coined.

The ones I see wearing university class rings the most (like has been listed) are Service Academy grads and Texas A&M grads. Texas A&M has a large military tradition too but there it seems to be with almost all graduates and not just those commissioned. I do have a class ring from the military college I attended and was commissioned with but haven't worn it in probably 20+ years. I didn't buy a class ring when I was at FSU but proud of that too. I think the class rings with the Service Academies is sort of like being coined.

What military college did you attend Hula?

Yes, I received an FSU class ring as a graduation gift when I finished my undergrad degree. I am not huge on jewelry. Every day I wear my engagement/wedding ring on my left hand (of course) and my FSU class ring on my right. The only 2 rings I ever wear.

Reactions: ponchfrog
Seriously........true story, I met a dude a few weeks ago wearing a class ring, I asked him if he was an academy grad (we're in the military) and he said no, he's prior enlisted, now an officer and got his degree online. Yeah....a class ring for an online degree, that's about as douchey as they come!

Reactions: BrianNole09
Seriously........true story, I met a dude a few weeks ago wearing a class ring, I asked him if he was an academy grad (we're in the military) and he said no, he's prior enlisted, now an officer and got his degree online. Yeah....a class ring for an online degree, that's about as douchey as they come!

What school was the ring for?

Hula, I was at that reunion in Milledgeville too. JC class of 63. Got my army commission from FSU in 66.

Small world! I was 111th Cadet Battalion. Class of '90. Army commission 1 JUN 90. Finished Engineering Degree at FSU. We may have run into each other at one point over Alumni Weekend. That was a great Vietnam War Memorial Dedication your class and other classes of the 1960's help make happen. Thank you.

Small world! I was 111th Cadet Battalion. Class of '90. Army commission 1 JUN 90. Finished Engineering Degree at FSU. We may have run into each other at one point over Alumni Weekend. That was a great Vietnam War Memorial Dedication your class and other classes of the 1960's help make happen. Thank you.
I'm sure we were like "ships passing in the night". I was reallly impressed with what was done for the alumni. That was the first time I had been back on campus since graduation in 63. The speech made at the memorial dedication was quite stirring. I bumped into my old room mat3e in the library. It took us a little while to establish identities but once we did, we spent most of the rest of the weekend together. I am planning on going again next year.

Reactions: HulaNole
We tend to have Annapolis, Texas A&M, VMI and other military school alumni wear their rings. Every now and then we will have a Harvard or Yale alum in the Teams who will wear theirs too.

I bet VMI would be on the list. VaTech probably too as they have a strong Corp of Cadets like Texas A&M. I checked out both VMI and VaTech too when I was in High School before making a decision.

West Point was my dream school but I got West Point Prep and forget wasting a year of my life waiting. My HS buddy who got the nomination quit West Point during Plebe Period. I learned a valuable lesson during that process too as he wasn't ahead of me in any category that I though that mattered and prepared for: academic, Assessment test scores, athletic teams (he didn't play any sports), job, or student government. It was a strong lesson. Looking back today, glad I went Early Commissioning Program and got both a Military College environment for two years and then FSU. Plus, went to OBC as an O-2 which was sweet.

I bet VMI would be on the list. VaTech probably too as they have a strong Corp of Cadets like Texas A&M. I checked out both VMI and VaTech too when I was in High School before making a decision.

West Point was my dream school but I got West Point Prep and forget wasting a year of my life waiting. My HS buddy who got the nomination quit West Point during Plebe Period. I learned a valuable lesson during that process too as he wasn't ahead of me in any category that I though that mattered and prepared for: academic, Assessment test scores, athletic teams (he didn't play any sports), job, or student government. It was a strong lesson. Looking back today, glad I went Early Commissioning Program and got both a Military College environment for two years and then FSU. Plus, went to OBC as an O-2 which was sweet.

Yes we do get a fair amount of those guys. We are also starting to get some guys from the Air Force Academy and Norwich University too.

That's a great story about your process to becoming an officer Hula. We could use more officers who had to scrap to get to where they are.

I have and wear mine every day. Was something my Dad did. I am definitely the youngest person I know to regularly wear one. It seems it has become a thing of the last generation

I wish i had gone this route. College then military vs military then college. I might have a very different attitude about being in the military. Might not...

ADVERTISEMENT