ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Springs?

1batman

Star Player
Sep 24, 2002
Thinking about taking a trip there, with the possibility of relocating. Hour from Denver, decent weather, lots of outdoor activities, just curious as anyone lived there before?

Not lived there, but visited many times. My company has an office there. Great city, lots of outdoor stuff. Not big which I like (unlike Denver). Does not have the air pollution that Denver has. Traffic between Denver and CS is a bitch so don't plan on that commute. I like it way more than Denver, but it's about 45 minutes further from the ski areas. On the other hand, you can avoid the I-70 traffic jam to get to the ski areas by coming around the backside into Breckenridge. I think it's 1000 feet higher than Denver in elevation.

I have contemplated moving there myself, but I like being near the beach. And, if I want to be outdoors and close to skiing Utah is a better choice because the ski areas are within an hour of SLC and closer to Sandy Utah (30 minutes) and you are not a slave to a single road to go skiing.

I don't know why you would take a trip to CS though unless you planned on moving. You can visit the Air Force Academy, Pikes peak and Garden of the Gods, but not much else there.

Huge military presence with the Academy and Fort Carson. I wouldn't live on the southside. Cost of living is much higher (up to 25%) and the winters can be brutal. Pot stores now every other block.
Monument is nice smalltown just north of CS. The traffic is often a nightmare on the interstate. Estes Park just north of Boulder is just beautiful. Bison burgers are cool. You'll need to adjust to the higher altitude. Rockies and Coors are a good combo!

2009 - preset. Any specific questions?

I agree a lot with Surfnole. He missed a couple things to do, but COS certainly doesn't have the "come visit and stay busy in town for a week" that Denver does. I would disagree on the access to snow skiing. We can more easily get to the southern ski locations (and they have less tourists) and the back roads to the I70 resorts is always the same travel time or less that fighting Denver's traffic each way. Have a minor league baseball and a new minor league soccer team. Olympic HQ for many programs and training facility.
Housing is going up fast.
Strong military presence. And conservative religious orgs so it's much more conservative than Denver.
Balanced out with the Manitou Springs witches and hippies. And they have a coffin race through town each year.
Pretty good schooling, esp on the North side of town.
You can commute to Denver Tech center, but that's an hour each way.
Zero open swimming options here.
I find winters mild with a couple "cold snaps" (like right now) and summers are very tolerable. We hit 100 several times a year, but the nights are cold and moderate the hot days. I don't even have AC in my house. About 3 days a year I wish I did.
Some food options, but not a foodie culture like Denver (not surprisingly), it is very chain oriented.
Big enough to stay busy, still has a bit of a small town feel but certainly not a "mountain city".
US News liked it a bit in their rankings. But there is at least one person on this board who will cry foul on that.

Oh, and our zoo is top notch. KILLS the Denver zoo and most others I have been to. You can hand feed giraffes at eye level.

I like it here.

Last edited:
2009 - preset. Any specific questions?

I agree a lot with Surfnole. He missed a couple things to do, but COS certainly doesn't have the "come visit and stay busy in town for a week" that Denver does. I would disagree on the access to snow skiing. We can more easily get to the southern ski locations (and they have less tourists) and the back roads to the I70 resorts is always the same travel time or less that fighting Denver's traffic each way. Have a minor league baseball and a new minor league soccer team. Olympic HQ for many programs and training facility.
Housing is going up fast.
Strong military presence. And conservative religious orgs so it's much more conservative than Denver.
Balanced out with the Manitou Springs witches and hippies. And they have a coffin race through town each year.
Pretty good schooling, esp on the North side of town.
You can commute to Denver Tech center, but that's an hour each way.
Zero open swimming options here.
I find winters mild with a couple "cold snaps" (like right now) and summers are very tolerable. We hit 100 several times a year, but the nights are cold and moderate the hot days. I don't even have AC in my house. About 3 days a year I wish I did.
Some food options, but not a foodie culture like Denver (not surprisingly), it is very chain oriented.
Big enough to stay busy, still has a bit of a small town feel but certainly not a "mountain city".
US News liked it a bit in their rankings. But there is at least one person on this board who will cry foul on that.

Oh, and our zoo is top notch. KILLS the Denver zoo and most others I have been to. You can hand feed giraffes at eye level.

I like it here.

Great feedback, thanks everyone....Was not aware of some things, or which part of town to focus on....lack of nearby skiing is not a problem...hope to visit after the first of the year....thanks again...

Great feedback, thanks everyone....Was not aware of some things, or which part of town to focus on....lack of nearby skiing is not a problem...hope to visit after the first of the year....thanks again...

If you were moving here, why would really dictate where.

Military is heavy on the south side.
If you are looking at work on Denver, the north or way north side to help cut into the commute or even considering Monument makes sense.
If you like tract housing, the "new" east side is for you (I could NOT live there). Yards are smaller and the downside of newer construction.
West side and center of town is much older and easier access to downtown.
Way west pushes to Old Colorado City and Manitou where you are right up on the mountain base and have many homes from the early 1900s.
If you have kids that changes things.
I wouldn't mind moving to Woodland Park if it wasn't for my wife being 4 miles from work now.

It’s a nice enough place, but if you don’t have a specific reason to move to the Springs (job, family, military, meth, etc.) I still don’t get why you would choose it over Denver.

It’s a nice enough place, but if you don’t have a specific reason to move to the Springs (job, family, military, meth, etc.) I still don’t get why you would choose it over Denver.

I do. Big city vs medium city. For those of us who don't like big cities, Denver sucks. Go for a weekend if you need to visit and then spend the majority of your time not sitting in traffic. If I had to for work, I'd tolerate Denver traffic, otherwise, it is just too big.

I've been here for 10 months now and like it. Winter 6 months a year is an adjustment, but really isn't that bad. It's more expensive, but I came from Mississippi and before that Georgia. I really love hiking, and the tons of places around here and within an hour drive. Traffic sucks though. I do miss the ocean.

Makes sense...different strokes.

Pretty much. I know for me, I just don't like big cities but I would certainly take Denver over Atl, Miami, etc.

My buddy lives up there, he doesn't even go across town for things. Its too far to drive to XXX. I felt the same way about Atlanta, hated it after I was done "running around town". And the never ending construction on I25 near Mile High is a royal PITA. going on 6 years now. Hell, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to drive out to the airport alone! Cost of living is too much as well. But if you like big cities.....
And there are plenty of things to do in Denver when you're dead.

My best friend lives there so we visit regularly. One thing to watch for is the hail, I’m talking baseball size in some areas. The area near the Air Force Academy or near the zoo is the best place to live.

I agree that the springs is a much better place to live than Denver, especially if you want to avoid California transplants.

When we lived there, I remember one hail storm where we got almost a foot of small hailstones.

Denver is butt ass ugly in the winter with the smog due the the valley and temperature inversion that traps the smog in the valley. You see nothing but grey/brown ground and sky for months of the year. Denver is a one hour visit from CS.

It depends on if you want big city living with pollution and traffic versus smaller city living maybe 1.25 hours away where you can visit the big city. Salary matters of course too.

Denver is butt ass ugly in the winter with the smog due the the valley and temperature inversion that traps the smog in the valley. You see nothing but grey/brown ground and sky for months of the year. Denver is a one hour visit from CS.

It depends on if you want big city living with pollution and traffic versus smaller city living maybe 1.25 hours away where you can visit the big city. Salary matters of course too.
Yep, the "brown cloud" as it is known there.

ADVERTISEMENT