ADVERTISEMENT

CONCACAF Gold Cup

SoddyNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 9, 2009
Anyone watching this besides me? A lot of new pieces playing out there. Not sure we should have 2 of the 3 goals scored against us with the two teams we have played so far. What do you think about the line up and how we have performed up to this point?

They said that was Mexico's 2nd team and it showed. A very poor performance by them and Jamaica did not look much better either.

I think we win this Gold Cup.

They said that was Mexico's 2nd team and it showed. A very poor performance by them and Jamaica did not look much better either.

I think we win this Gold Cup.

If we play in the knockout rounds like we've played in the first two group games (and finish 2nd in the group), we won't get past the quarters.

After being at the game on Weds and seeing just how bad our own depth is, I'm worried we have another 8+ years until we see some legit play at the senior level for our country.

We haven't looked good either though....

I wasn't happy with Martinque scoring two goals on us like they did.

Would not be surprised to see Howard put in for tomorrow or knock out round.

Bradley > Dax McCarty and wonder if he will be put in.

I also wonder if Nagbe and would be brought in and like to see Pulisic out there but doesn't appear he will be playing.

I wasn't happy with Martinque scoring two goals on us like they did.

Would not be surprised to see Howard put in for tomorrow or knock out round.

Bradley > Dax McCarty and wonder if he will be put in.

I also wonder if Nagbe and would be brought in and like to see Pulisic out there but doesn't appear he will be playing.

Neither Howard nor Bradley nor Pulisic nor Nagbe are on the roster. Technically you're allowed to exchange up to 6 players on the official roster after the group stage, but I seriously doubt any of those 4 are brought in at that point, given what Arena says he's trying to do. If I'd have to handicap it at the moment, I think Costa Rica are the favorites to win it. Then Mexico. Then Jamaica. Then USA. With Canada right on the USA's tail if Davies is healthy.

Reactions: SoddyNole
Neither Howard nor Bradley nor Pulisic nor Nagbe are on the roster. Technically you're allowed to exchange up to 6 players on the official roster after the group stage, but I seriously doubt any of those 4 are brought in at that point, given what Arena says he's trying to do. If I'd have to handicap it at the moment, I think Costa Rica are the favorites to win it. Then Mexico. Then Jamaica. Then USA. With Canada right on the USA's tail if Davies is healthy.

Canada and the U.S. are at a bit of a disadvantage in that they didn't want to kill their MLS teams for so many games. A lot of the top players (especially for the U.S.) played in HEX games in June and now this.

MLS isn't stopping the league (unlike what happens with International breaks in Europe) so I think both countries made a conscious effort to not take players for both stops.

I know Canada didn't play in the HEX, but with a much smaller pool of players to begin with and those players have significant roles in the MLS (especially for the 3 Canadian teams).

This is just speculation on my part, but based on the selections of the teams, it makes sense to me.

Canada and the U.S. are at a bit of a disadvantage in that they didn't want to kill their MLS teams for so many games. A lot of the top players (especially for the U.S.) played in HEX games in June and now this.

MLS isn't stopping the league (unlike what happens with International breaks in Europe) so I think both countries made a conscious effort to not take players for both stops.

I know Canada didn't play in the HEX, but with a much smaller pool of players to begin with and those players have significant roles in the MLS (especially for the 3 Canadian teams).

This is just speculation on my part, but based on the selections of the teams, it makes sense to me.

For the USA I'm not sure that played a role at all in Arena's decision for the Gold Cup roster. He still called up some guys that are big deals for their MLS clubs, but he did it to evaluate them for WCQ and WC considerations. As far as I can tell, that's been an utter failure (minus Dwyer, who might've earned himself a spot on the A-squad, especially ahead of Morris as the 4th striker). For Canada...I didn't think about that, but now that you say that, it makes sense. With that said, I can see someone like Cyle Larin being called up for the KO stages by Canada, as it would only affect one or 2 MLS matches at most, and this is the biggest (and deepest they've been in...) tournament Canada has been in or will be in for the next couple years.

I read Bradley and Altidore were added for the elimination rounds.

I'm glad folks realize that Bradley is the best option at (CDM) midfield. He takes a lot of crap here but still outshines others (I know that isn't saying much but it is what it is).

For the USA I'm not sure that played a role at all in Arena's decision for the Gold Cup roster. He still called up some guys that are big deals for their MLS clubs, but he did it to evaluate them for WCQ and WC considerations. As far as I can tell, that's been an utter failure (minus Dwyer, who might've earned himself a spot on the A-squad, especially ahead of Morris as the 4th striker). For Canada...I didn't think about that, but now that you say that, it makes sense. With that said, I can see someone like Cyle Larin being called up for the KO stages by Canada, as it would only affect one or 2 MLS matches at most, and this is the biggest (and deepest they've been in...) tournament Canada has been in or will be in for the next couple years.

And MLS has been on a break... they start up again next weekend.

I read Bradley and Altidore were added for the elimination rounds.

I'm glad folks realize that Bradley is the best option at (CDM) midfield. He takes a lot of crap here but still outshines others (I know that isn't saying much but it is what it is).

I'd rather still put Acosta (or hell, McCarty...or another, newer younger player) in there instead of Bradley, and let him develop. If that's the goal leading into Russia, then Bradley is a waste of space and time and we're setting ourselves up for another bow-out early on in the tournament.

I'd rather still put Acosta (or hell, McCarty...or another, newer younger player) in there instead of Bradley, and let him develop. If that's the goal leading into Russia, then Bradley is a waste of space and time and we're setting ourselves up for another bow-out early on in the tournament.

I don't watch MLS much but Dax started in a friendly vs Jamaica up here and there was a clear difference in how much better the team played when Bradley came in for him in the second half. Altidore was getting some award during that night and of course was not playing. Jordan Morris started that night and scored too. The immediate impression is how barrel chested he is compared to other soccer players but is pretty darn quick for a guy his size. I would like to see more of Altidore's play but every time I watch an international game he is absent/injured or not playing.

Last edited:
By the way, looks like I was completely wrong above. Various reports are saying the 6 replacements are:

Altidore
Bradley
Dempsey
Nagbe
Howard
Gonzalez (new keeper that picked us over Mex)

I've read that Bedoya is going home for the birth of his kid. Sean Johnson is going back to NYCFC. And they're using the excuse of Guzan going to Atlanta United (but we've discussed elsewhere their current keeper is in better form). My guess is this might be Arena finally washing his hands of Guzan.

So that explains bringing in the 2 keepers and one of the midfielders. Why the 2 strikers (Altidore and Dempsey)? And why Bradley? How does that help with what Arena was vehemently saying was to be an evaluation and development tournament? I mean, winning the Gold Cup does matter somewhat (allows you the chance to play in the Confederation's Cup), and maybe he wants some of the older guys to get time with the younger crew so that he can see how they'll play together prior to the next round of WCQ? That's my only guess. Otherwise, none of this makes sense.

Tampa, the Atlanta keeper HAS been in much better form, but is out 6-8 weeks with a thigh injury. His replacement was shaky in his only start 2 weeks ago, and Guzan would be a clear improvement over him. But when Kahn returns, Guzan should be riding the pine unless he starts performing lights out for the Five Stripes.

Tampa, the Atlanta keeper HAS been in much better form, but is out 6-8 weeks with a thigh injury. His replacement was shaky in his only start 2 weeks ago, and Guzan would be a clear improvement over him. But when Kahn returns, Guzan should be riding the pine unless he starts performing lights out for the Five Stripes.

Ah, thanks. I missed that memo. Makes sense then. I guess I was just hoping we'd be done with Guzan for good on the national team!

By the way, looks like the Rowdies are now the odds-on-favorite to claim one of the two immediate new expansion franchises. A southeastern triangle rivalry between Atlanta United, Tampa Bay Rowdies, and Orlando City would be a really fun and cool buildup within the MLS if they market it correctly.

By the way, looks like I was completely wrong above. Various reports are saying the 6 replacements are:

Altidore
Bradley
Dempsey
Nagbe
Howard
Gonzalez (new keeper that picked us over Mex)

I've read that Bedoya is going home for the birth of his kid. Sean Johnson is going back to NYCFC. And they're using the excuse of Guzan going to Atlanta United (but we've discussed elsewhere their current keeper is in better form). My guess is this might be Arena finally washing his hands of Guzan.

So that explains bringing in the 2 keepers and one of the midfielders. Why the 2 strikers (Altidore and Dempsey)? And why Bradley? How does that help with what Arena was vehemently saying was to be an evaluation and development tournament? I mean, winning the Gold Cup does matter somewhat (allows you the chance to play in the Confederation's Cup), and maybe he wants some of the older guys to get time with the younger crew so that he can see how they'll play together prior to the next round of WCQ? That's my only guess. Otherwise, none of this makes sense.

And the other 3 gone: Roldan, Dwyer, Rowe...

I'm now 100% confused as to what Arena's attempting to accomplish.

I am very surprised with Dwyer being sent back. Besides missing a PK he played well imo. But would there be much playing time for Dwyer with Dempsey and Altidore on the lineup? I thought Rowe played well but maybe I am missing something. Guzan gave a poor effort in that 1st score by Martinique and brought them back into the game and put us in a worse position in the tournament that luckily we were able to climb out of with a 3-0 win. I don't disagree with Bradley starting even though many would.

Pinching, biting, sucker punches and flops. smh

There were some good moments overshadowed by a mountain of bad play and even worse competition.

win and advance

Lets hope we can quickly improve.

Pinching, biting, sucker punches and flops. smh

There were some good moments overshadowed by a mountain of bad play and even worse competition.

win and advance

Lets hope we can quickly improve.

How are we going to improve though? Michael Bradley still can't complete a forward pass in the run of play. Jozy Altidore still can't bother to actually work and make space for himself. These players are what they are.

How are we going to improve though? Michael Bradley still can't complete a forward pass in the run of play. Jozy Altidore still can't bother to actually work and make space for himself. These players are what they are.

It was obvious that their precision and chemistry was off in the passing game. I don't know what the hell was up with not having the pace of the pass down before the game started. There is no excuse for a defender under pressure to drop a ball back to Howard like they did. Imo it should have resulted in a goal for the biters. I know the field was soaked but you figure that out before the game begins.

Bradley hits a very nice free kick that was on line and allowed us to get a head on for our first goal. I disagree with Donovan that it would have gone in without the deflection. The keep was on line where the ball was going. I honestly can not recall a bad pass Bradley made all night. When there were options forward, he took them and dropped or switched the field otherwise.

I have seen so little of Altidore I am not sure what he can do. But I agree he was not that impressive during this game. I do give him credit for keeping his cool with 4. I don't know if I could have kept from retaliating. Were the assistant refs paying attention?

USA played a much improved game over Costa Rica. Our possession was as good as it has ever been in the first half. Not quite as good in the second but we finished strong for the win.

Tim Howard had a few unbelievable saves and I am not sure Guzan would have stopped them.

Demsey coming off the bench worked out well. He showed off his skills on the assist and the bending the ball around the wall for a goal was brilliant. The old man still has it.

Good to see Altidore with a goal but it was a bit much with the ripping off the shirt celebration. It was a good play by Nagbe with a great move and assist from Dempsey. You would expect Altidore to make a goal from there. On set pieces why doesn't Altidore move around before the kick to keep from getting hooked up by the defender? I know he is big and strong enough to push the defender down while the ball is in the air but that almost always results in a foul on us.

I hate that we always seem to have the third team, refs, against us most of these games. I thought most of the fouls on our defensive line were good calls but he bit on every flop in the midfield and around the box and most of CONCACAF teams are masters of the flop. I agree with Bruce Arena's complaints about allowing the defender to bear hug our strikers. That is not even allowed on the offensive line in football. But we Never get the call in the box, why?

Jamaica comes out with the win and plays us in the final. They played Mexico like it was the championship game and laid it all on the field. You had to be impressed with Jamaica's fight and effort late in the game and Mexico simply could not keep up in the end. Hopefully there is little left in the tank to stand up against us.

Like I said in a thread above.......

USA is better than the other teams in this tournament.

USA wins Gold Cup!

OH LÉ LÉ OH LÉ LÉ OH LÉ LÉ OH - USA!

Reactions: GwinnettNole
Dempsey is a really good player at this age especially with the ball fakes and spin move.... the pass to Altodore and onsides timing was perfection.

I'm amazed that Tim is still our keeper. But like deuce Tim just keeps rolling on. He made some great saves the other night against the Tico's...

I'll say it again but Bradley is still our best CDM.

All three of these guys will play critical roles in Russia....

Reactions: SoddyNole
ADVERTISEMENT