ADVERTISEMENT

Cook Out

Nole Lou

Seminole Insider
Apr 5, 2002
So, this place gets a lot of love on social media or from chatter I hear.

Is the charm of this place that they sell substandard food, but at appropriate prices?

I've been like three times, and it's never good, at least not better than what I would expect from other fast food, at all.

There's no doubt that if you're going to have crappy fast food, the $4.99 combo is priced pretty right compared to $9 at some other fast food place. And I support that all day.

But are people actually saying it's GOOD good? Have I been exceedingly unlucky? Or do I just not eat enough fast food, and it actually is better than most?

Reactions: cfbfan23
So, this place gets a lot of love on social media or from chatter I hear.

Is the charm of this place that they sell substandard food, but at appropriate prices?

I've been like three times, and it's never good, at least not better than what I would expect from other fast food, at all.

There's no doubt that if you're going to have crappy fast food, the $4.99 combo is priced pretty right compared to $9 at some other fast food place. And I support that all day.

But are people actually saying it's GOOD good? Have I been exceedingly unlucky? Or do I just not eat enough fast food, and it actually is better than most?

If you find one that serves fried okra, get it. It's really good. They also make a blueberry milkshake (for the $1.00) which is good and hard to find. You failed to mention the ever-present Christian music. Otherwise, your review is spot on. It's a value play.....a mediocre one, at that.

If you find one that serves fried okra, get it. It's really good. They also make a blueberry milkshake (for the $1.00) which is good and hard to find. You failed to mention the ever-present Christian music. Otherwise, your review is spot on. It's a value play.....a mediocre one, at that.

Never had their milkshakes, but noticed that for +$1, or even $2.99 straight up, seemed like a hell of a deal. Like everything else.

I've only been to one, it was a few years ago after an Outkast concert in Atlanta so my eyes were bigger(redder) than my stomach. It reminded me of a mix between Rallys and BK. The prices were crazy low, I think I got a double cheeseburger, chicken wrap, quesadilla, a milkshake, fries and my total was around $8.

I felt the same way Lou. The one up here I went to was awful. With most fast food chains their products is at minimum decent in taste. Sometimes decent, convent and cheap is ok enough. The store up here was so bad I see absolutely no reason to return.

I don't know anyone that thinks it is great food, its just a cheap place to grab a burger and shake. It still beats all the other fast food places and the fact that is cheaper brings everybody in.

My first thought when I saw this thread title - "Awe, crap. What happened to him?"
My 2nd thought, "Wait, he's already in the NFL, it doesn't matter."

After reading various posts in the thread, never heard of the place.

I feel the same about Waffle House, yet people love that. Saw that San Antonio, TX is "pushing hard" to get one there, makes no sense as they have lots of much better and cheaper restaurants.

I haven't had Cook Out so I cannot comment on that. People hype up and celebrate weird things sometimes.

People hype up and celebrate weird things sometimes.

No they don't.

mcrib_NewZealand_1-300x221.jpg

I feel the same about Waffle House, yet people love that. Saw that San Antonio, TX is "pushing hard" to get one there, makes no sense as they have lots of much better and cheaper restaurants.

I haven't had Cook Out so I cannot comment on that. People hype up and celebrate weird things sometimes.

I'm not a Waffle House fanatic like some people, but in a lot of areas, especially in smaller towns off interstates, I think Waffle House probably does provide the best version of what it does. In the 25 years we've lived in Charlotte and Atlanta lousy with Waffle Houses, out of the 12 times I've probably eaten there, I bet 10 of them were on the road. I've always considered it good, but to your point, we rarely choose it among options.

I'm not a Waffle House fanatic like some people, but in a lot of areas, especially in smaller towns off interstates, I think Waffle House probably does provide the best version of what it does. In the 25 years we've lived in Charlotte and Atlanta lousy with Waffle Houses, out of the 12 times I've probably eaten there, I bet 10 of them were on the road. I've always considered it good, but to your point, we rarely choose it among options.

Yep, I hear you. In a city of 2 million folks, not sure what purpose Waffle House serves. Plenty of 24 hour restaurants in SA as well.

Yep, I hear you. In a city of 2 million folks, not sure what purpose Waffle House serves. Plenty of 24 hour restaurants in SA as well.

But do they have toothless waitresses that yell scattered, smothered and covered? Where else can you get that kind of ambiance?

Out in the suburbs, 24 hour places are rare, so I suppose they serve a purpose, although you'd think there'd be a limited demand for 3 am options in those places as well. Near us we've got two Waffle Houses 0.9 miles apart...seems like overkill.

There is always a place for chains. People want what they know. There is no major 24 hour chain where the food tastes as good as Waffle House. IHOP is tolerable, but not good. It's all frozen or semiprepared and reheated. Dennys is just beyond bad. The average prison or school cafeteria must be better. Most others lie somewhere between those two.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
There is always a place for chains. People want what they know. There is no major 24 hour chain where the food tastes as good as Waffle House. IHOP is tolerable, but not good. It's all frozen or semiprepared and reheated. Dennys is just beyond bad. The average prison or school cafeteria must be better. Most others lie somewhere between those two.

I don't see any distinction between IHOP, Dennys and Waffle House. All conjure mental images of gross greasy spoons.

What about Waffle House’s slow cousin, Huddle House?

“Hey, here’s an idea: what if we created a dialed down version of Waffle House? Think there’s a market for that?”

What about Waffle House’s slow cousin, Huddle House?

“Hey, here’s an idea: what if we created a dialed down version of Waffle House? Think there’s a market for that?”

I always wondered about that. I've never eaten at one, but I always figured it was a play on WH name recognition.

The redneck market is huge. Years ago, before the advent of Outback and other steak chains, Waffle House sold more T-bone steaks than any other restaurant in America. Truckers develop their routes based on where the WH’s are located.

Reactions: KitingHigh
There's a local chain here in Jax loved by "locals" called Famous Amos, sounds like other places mentioned.
Waitresses may or may not have all their teeth but they call everybody darlin'.
You get REALLY sweet tea whether you want it or not. And fried okra is on the menu every day along with either cornbread or a big 'ol biscuit.

My brothers and their friends just called it "Flaming Anus", from high school until present day.

There's a local chain here in Jax loved by "locals" called Famous Amos, sounds like other places mentioned.
You get REALLY sweet tea whether you want it or not. And fried okra is on the menu every day along with either cornbread or a big 'ol biscuit.

My brothers and their friends just called it "Flaming Anus", from high school until present day.

I may have just found my 2018 Fantasy FB team name. Thanks!

I always wondered about that. I've never eaten at one, but I always figured it was a play on WH name recognition.

We've eaten at one near us a couple times. It was pretty good...as good as Waffle House in my opinion.

And I'm of the opinion that Waffle House is several degrees of magnitude better than IHOP, and probably better than Denny's, although I don't think Denny's is totally without merit. And there's no Denny's in Atlanta. Out in the suburbs, I can't think of a 24 hour place besides Waffle House.

We've eaten at one near us a couple times. It was pretty good...as good as Waffle House in my opinion.

And I'm of the opinion that Waffle House is several degrees of magnitude better than IHOP, and probably better than Denny's, although I don't think Denny's is totally without merit. And there's no Denny's in Atlanta. Out in the suburbs, I can't think of a 24 hour place besides Waffle House.

Depending on where you live, Lou, there might be one near you. I know there's one down on Jimmy Carter Blvd. in Norcross, but I've seen others in outlying 'burbs on the east and south side.

As it is near work, I walk a half mile down the road for an outwest Style burger every so often. Cheep burger and I often throw away the bun. Protein... beef with bacon. If I get them, the fries are tasty. Old man Jerry at work used to get the shake almost daily.
It is fuel, nothing more.
Should I pack a lunch instead... of course.

I made the mistake of eating at Famous Amos one time. I think the cook got popped for a parole violation while we were there. It was late and we had been consuming beverages.

I was once chewed out by a methey waitress at the waffle house in Live Oak. That was the end of waffle house for me.

Hurl House is even worse, the one in Perry makes you want to go outside and enjoy the paper company fumes.

Reactions: goldmom
Wow, I haven’t seen a Village Inn in years. In fact, the last one I recall seeing was in Tallahassee, past the Tallahassee Mall a bit.

Wow, I haven’t seen a Village Inn in years. In fact, the last one I recall seeing was in Tallahassee, past the Tallahassee Mall a bit.

There are a couple in Tally. The one I went to on Apalachee moved into a nice new location redone in retro 60s/Mad Men furniture style over on Magnolia just off of Park Ave near the Mission BBQ and Blaze Pizza.

They’ve got 25 Florida locations per their website although almost all in the Panhandle, North Florida and the Otown/Tampa/St Pete I-4 corridor, I didn’t see any in southeast Florida in my quick scan. They’ve even got locations in Guam and Alaska. Most of their locations are in Florida, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Iowa, and Arkansas with a decent amount in the South, Southwest and Midwest and a smattering around the Pacific Northwest. None in the north of Virginia on the Atlantic and nothing in California.

Last edited:
Reactions: EconSean

We have one at the bottom of the hill outside our neighborhood and my kids love it so its thier place when we want quick cheap and the boss lady doesn't go with. Esp on wed. Otherwise we go to a number of good less franchisey breakfast joints when she is in attendance (BlackBear Diner, Omelette Parlour). They have renovated the VI location as nottribe indicates above (sort of like the Hyatt Place redid their style 5? years ago) but the food is still the same. Ours is open 24-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT