ADVERTISEMENT

CoronaVirus article

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergreennole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2019
Just wanted to share a breakdown of the situation that was made by Experts in the field of Infectious Disease. Draw what conclusions you want, but I think what sacrifices we have to make as a society pale in comparison to the potential outcome of so many deaths. I've been down about the loss of the season and of the entertainment of sports as anyone, but thinking of my mom(62) and many others who I hold near and dear falling ill from this thing leaves me not second guessing it at all. Based on this article, this will be a long, drawn out process that won't get resolved in weeks, or months. I'm starting to wonder just how the landscape of college football will be effected by this as well.

https://www.linkedin.com/content-gu...-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-/

My prediction: By May this thing subsides as the country heats up. Respiratory viruses do not like heat and dryness, fact. I'm in FL and the spread here is much slower, even with the spring breakers and spring training. It's already mid-80's here. Texas, same, slower spread. I could wind up eating some crow of course, but this is my theory. It'll subside by May and come back in the Fall when things cool down. I suspect by then we will have a vaccine or close to one.

Reactions: NOLES-RULE
Just wanted to share a breakdown of the situation that was made by Experts in the field of Infectious Disease. Draw what conclusions you want, but I think what sacrifices we have to make as a society pale in comparison to the potential outcome of so many deaths. I've been down about the loss of the season and of the entertainment of sports as anyone, but thinking of my mom(62) and many others who I hold near and dear falling ill from this thing leaves me not second guessing it at all. Based on this article, this will be a long, drawn out process that won't get resolved in weeks, or months. I'm starting to wonder just how the landscape of college football will be effected by this as well.

https://www.linkedin.com/content-gu...-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-/
Let's all live in fear of living.

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I agree with your comments. No brainer, really.

Swine flu infected 60 million, 300,000 were hospitalized, and 18,000 died. Does anyone recall such a full scale panic then? The Swine flu was handled with reasonable remedies and precautions.

Not sure what the article says because it seems to have been pulled from the linkedin site.

But I hope it pointed out that the efforts to stop the growth of the virus is to protect the capacity of the health system and not focus on the symptoms.

Swine flu infected 60 million, 300,000 were hospitalized, and 18,000 died. Does anyone recall such a full scale panic then? The Swine flu was handled with reasonable remedies and precautions.
They are talking about millions dying from this thing, if we don't take dramatic action. I'm not trying to be smart here, but read the article. It estimated it at 1.5 or 1.6 million. They would never do any of this if they had any confidence that only 18,000 people would die. They think 40-70% of the population could get this thing, before herd immunity is developed.

If only 18,000 people die from this thing, the whole world would gladly eat crow.

They are talking about millions dying from this thing, if we don't take dramatic action. I'm not trying to be smart here, but read the article. It estimated it at 1.5 or 1.6 million. They would never do any of this if they had any confidence that only 18,000 people would die. They think 40-70% of the population could get this thing, before herd immunity is developed.

If only 18,000 people die from this thing, the whole world would gladly eat crow.
You can't reason very well with people who can't fathom that something is being credibly regarded as something worse than we have ever seen. They can't wrap their head around it and it happens across every subject. All I'm saying is, people way smarter us, who have spent their lives doing this, are ringing the alarm bells and telling us that we haven't seen anything yet. Crazy

You can't reason very well with people who can't fathom that something is being credibly regarded as something worse than we have ever seen. They can't wrap their head around it and it happens across every subject. All I'm saying is, people way smarter us, who have spent their lives doing this, are ringing the alarm bells and telling us that we haven't seen anything yet. Crazy
What have you fathomed?

We shall see.

What was the timeline of the swine flu figures above? I imagine they weren’t the first two plus months of the H1N1....am I wrong?

The issue here is that if the distancing does what it’s supposed to it will save lives and the people who don’t think it’s a big deal will say “see not a big deal.”
And just how do you prove this? No one is saying the Coronavirus is not a big deal ...

What was the timeline of the swine flu figures above? I imagine they weren’t the first two plus months of the H1N1....am I wrong?
I do not have the timeline information ... are you saying the first two months of covid-19 have reached these numbers?

I do not have the timeline information ... are you saying the first two months of covid-19 have reached these numbers?

Nope, it would be interesting to look at the same sample size, I believe patient zero was 12/31/2019. I’d be curious what the outbreak was worldwide for H1N1 after 10 or 11 weeks, is that a weird ask?

And just how do you prove this? No one is saying the Coronavirus is not a big deal ...
I have dozens of people on my social media timelines saying this is all a media hoax aimed to get rid of Trump and not big deal at all.

Nope, it would be interesting to look at the same sample size, I believe patient zero was 12/31/2019. I’d be curious what the outbreak was worldwide for H1N1 after 10 or 11 weeks, is that a weird ask?
No ... the information is likely out there somewhere.

I have dozens of people on my social media timelines saying this is all a media hoax aimed to get rid of Trump and not big deal at all.
There you go, now we know Pops is a real scientist.....

What are you talking about? He said no one is saying it’s not serious. My response was to that statement.
Seriously, you expect to bring social media madness into this and expect it to resonate favorably......?

Reactions: JonScott
Seriously, you expect to bring social media madness into this and expect it to resonate favorably......?
I believe popsnole was referencing the idiots on social media that are still saying stupid things. That is all. He was not defending said idiots. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Bartdog
Spain just joined Italy with a nationwide lockdown and France just closed all non-essential public areas... bars, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.

It’s incredibly frustrating that we weren’t able to compete for a National Championship this season but all of these cancelations were necessary steps to slow the spread of this virus. In hindsight they should’ve been taken weeks ago. Because they weren’t you can expect us to be about a week to 10 days behind everything that’s happening in Europe.

I would expect a week from now virtually nothing except grocery stores, gas stations, and a few other essential places will be open here in the US.

I
t sucks but it’s gonna be a long time before anything gets back to normal here.

My prediction: By May this thing subsides as the country heats up. Respiratory viruses do not like heat and dryness, fact. I'm in FL and the spread here is much slower, even with the spring breakers and spring training. It's already mid-80's here. Texas, same, slower spread. I could wind up eating some crow of course, but this is my theory. It'll subside by May and come back in the Fall when things cool down. I suspect by then we will have a vaccine or close to one.
dw4fsu— This could be the case, but that doesn’t mean the COVID-19 virus will not simply be laying dormant in relatively healthy and younger folks only to then return then when colder weather returns follows in the late fall/ winter.

Last edited:
dw4fsu.. Perhaps so. That would be welcome news. However, it’s also possible that the Covid-19 virus symptoms could diminish (lay dormant) only to return within those mildly infected when colder weather returns. So the key is to take precautions “yesterday/ now” to stay as safe as you can. Let’s all do our best to limit the number of new cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlSFNole
Pops. Just because a lot of folks on social media say it, doesn’t make it true. This is not about Trump. It’s a health issue and the immunologists, scientific & medical community are painting a different picture.
One longtime and well respected epidemiologist very sadly forecasts that between 270,000 & 450,000 Americans could die over the next 12 to 18 months. That’s the 1.5% or less range of our nation’s population. His high end is 1.7 million! As a longtime financial-investment advisor learned that doing what’s popular, when it’s popular often is a recipe to following the herd over a cliff. It seems wise to the error on the side of caution. And, yes sadly our economy and markets will take a hit but saving lives and people’s health comes first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tj-nole

Until they shut down airports and public transportation, all other shut downs are a joke. It needs to be absolute or not at all.

Pops. Just because a lot of folks on social media say it, doesn’t make it true. This is not about Trump. It’s a health issue and the immunologists, scientific & medical community are painting a different picture.
One longtime and well respected epidemiologist very sadly forecasts that between 270,000 & 450,000 Americans could die over the next 12 to 18 months. That’s the 1.5% or less range of our nation’s population. His high end was 1.7 million! As a longtime financial-investment advisor learned that doing what’s popular, when it’s popular often is a recipe to following the herd over a cliff. This seems wise to the error on the side of caution. And, yes sadly our economy and markets will take a hit but saving lives and people’s help comes first.
Yes I understand that. I was responding to someone saying that no one is arguing it’s not a big deal, which isn’t true.

Reactions: How Bout Them Noles
Yes I understand that. I was responding to someone saying that no one is arguing it’s not a big deal, which isn’t true.
I was not referring to the bizarre social media websites ... leave it to you to cite them. The point was that in the discussions which are of a serious nature, though drawing different conclusions about the effects, no one suggests it’s not a big deal.

Spain just joined Italy with a nationwide lockdown and France just closed all non-essential public areas... bars, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.

It’s incredibly frustrating that we weren’t able to compete for a National Championship this season but all of these cancelations were necessary steps to slow the spread of this virus. In hindsight they should’ve been taken weeks ago. Because they weren’t you can expect us to be about a week to 10 days behind everything that’s happening in Europe.

I would expect a week from now virtually nothing except grocery stores, gas stations, and a few other essential places will be open here in the US.

I
t sucks but it’s gonna be a long time before anything gets back to normal here.

Just yesterday, Italy had over 350 new deaths. But by all means, this is just an overreaction

The current death rate in the United States is 1.81 percent. It will continue to go down as more people are tested and the number of cases go up.

The current death rate in the United States is 1.81 percent. It will continue to go down as more people are tested and the number of cases go up.

This.

Fauci on Friday and through the weekend tried to stress 98-99% are going to recover and not look at models. This isn’t interesting because that’s now how they acted in front of the Senate to get more testing.

My theory is this is all about testing numbers and that the CDC freaked out because they don’t have a vaccine and they just quite frankly don’t know if it’s more lethal or not.

When asked if its contagiousness and lethality are worse than the flu, Fauci emphatically said, “Well yes, I mean it just is, and we’ve gotta face that fact.”

He honestly just doesn’t know to make any statements. He wants his testing numbers to go which for the public sake I hope they do but the doctors that actually see the patients are not all giving tests but just making a diagnosis and sending home. Any doctor I know that actually sees patients are NOT stressing that this is more deadly than the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT